FIFA 08 Manager Mode Adventure Thread

Has anyone else had phantom euro games? I gained promotion to the Premiership and was amazed (dismayed) to find I had qualified for Europe.. All went as planed until the second, 2 leg stage.. I played Deportivo and lost 2-0, then before I played Pompey, the next game in the calender I had the same second stage, 2 leg tie against Milan? this did not show up on the calendar and meant playing 3 games in less than a week.. All my players were knacked!! I somehow won 1-0 but there is no record of it and it still did not show up in the calendar... Come the 2nd leg of the real tie and Bongo Bingo it happens again? Whats going on?

I have just finished my first season with Leeds United,won league 1,won the Johnstones trophy,and the F.A. cup on pro level.I beat Southend to the title,Brentford in the Johnstones and i scalpt Chelsea Liverpool and Reading in the F.A. cup.So know it's the Coca Cola Leeds.:D

It really pisses me off how theres no night games in manager mode, no trophy celebrations, and finals are played at the team's home stadium instead of Wembley.

With my XB back from the shop, I'm just now starting (again) my MM season.

I'm playing as Derby (as they've two Americans) and here's the opener from my first match of the season against ManU - watch Earnshaw embarrass Evra on the far post.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WAMpwfRvdpY

I didn't include Saha leveling the match at the 91st minute to spoil a sublime start to the season... ;)

Last edited:
nice goal, stickyfingers. like how you worked the ball around the box. that's how i do too. :)

Has anyone else had phantom euro games? ...

that sucks.
but i'm pissed, because i have TWO Fenerbahce's in the second round of my CL. hopefully they both get knocked out, because one of them was in my first stage group!

btw, i'm in my third season of MM, and stepped up to world class mode.
i've been at the helm of Sporting Clube, initially a 3.5 star rated team, and built them up to 4.5 stars. okay, so the 'Bwin' league is not a formidable competition, but it's all relative! besides i'm the bogey-team to FCPorto and SLBenfica in most confrontations. it's some of the minnows that give me headaches, 'cpu gods', you know what i mean.

anyways, after switching to world class, i don't think i can go back to pro. when everything is clicking, it's almost WE/PES in spirit, but more realistic looking!
i just hate the fact, that you have to constantly build up your attack, while the cpu can just practically waltz into my third. at least i usually can limit them to long distance shots.

-world class
-7 minute halves
-default controls
-all assisted
-player auto switching: halfway

Last edited:
If nothing is readily apparent, I always try to work the ball around the box but usually I'm hoping for something to open up in the middle because I have a _terrible_ time scoring any goals down the middle (I believe my strikers lack of pace contributes significantly to that, as I _can't_ play anyone through the middle).

For that goal though, I ended up with so much space on the wing, I just had to get a nice cross off and hope that someone would work free on the back post. ;)

Cheers.

I played against Man Utd last night, drew 1-1, the goal the AI scored against me really impressed me by how real it looked, Carrick runs with the ball, passes it onto Ronaldo and continues his run into the box, Ronaldo passes to Rooney who first touch plays a through ball to Carrick which put him clean through and he slides it past my keeper, I think it's one of the few times I didn't mind conceding because it was just such a perfect goal, and looked completely realistic, the kind of goal you see Man Utd scoring.......

MM update:

Played about 23 matches in the Prem with Liverpool, 1st by 3 points now. Manu second and Chelsea and ManCity 3rd about 8 or so points off the pace. Out of the League Cup after a QF loss to Boro away(2-0) and am now in the UEFA Cup after failing to get through the CL group stage. Managed to lose the penultimate game at home against olympiakos 1-2 with them scoring in the 90th minute after I had taken the lead halfway through the 1st half. Ended up finishing 3rd in the group, even though I did the dubble over group winners Lyon (4-1 and 2-0 win). So played some spanish 2nd rate team in the UEFA and won 2-0 away, rested the 1st team for the home leg and drew 1-1. Now have to play a decent team, cant remember which one, but Inter, Real and Chelsea are still in it. With the latter two playing each other so could still be a tough cup to win. Still in my 1st season with Liverpool, after the succes with Accrington Stanley winning promotion in two seasons running. After the shooting tips it going a lot better and am playing some really nice stuff. Helped also by changing my formation from 4-4-2 (diamond) to a 4-2-3-1.

When using the 4-4-2 diamond I found that the strikers ended up isolated and my midfield couldnt get forward fast enough. So now Ive gone for a 4-2-3-1:

----------Reina--------------
Arbeloa--Carra--Agger--Riise
-------Masch-----------------
-----------Alonso------------
Beninoon--Gerrard-------Babel
-------------Torres----------

This formation allows me to keep possesion up front, counter quickly and also keep a solid base in defense. It also creates a lot of triangles between players to keep possesion throughout the team. Masch or alonso run over to help the sidebacks while one of them stays in the centre with gerrard also tracking back. I then have babel and benninoon as an outlet with Torres running a lot into space to have an outlet. Works really well for me. And depending on the opposition and match situation I can go all out attack:

----------Reina--------------
---------Carra--Agger--------
Arbeloa-----------------Riise
-----------Masch-------------
-------------Alonso----------
-------Gerrard---------------
Benni--------Torres-----Babel

Or for a more defensive:

Arbeloa--Carra--Agger---Riise
--------Masch----------------
Beninoon----Alonso------Babel
---------Gerrard-------------
-------------Torres----------

Works well this way as the player positions stay the "same" so you dont have to change your playing style with players all over the place. Im not sure how well I will cope if Torres gets injured as Crouch, Kuyt & Voronin just don't have the movement or speed to make things happen. Will probably try Babel and have Aurelio take his leftmid slot.

So whats your formation, attack/defense set up?

I have been playing as my beloved United on Professional difficulty and really enjoying it. I am doing quite shite in the league at the moment, I think I am 4th or 5th.

So if you win a trophy does nothing happen? Just a message saying congratulations, no celebrations with the cup?

I had a chance to get some good play time on my MM with Derby this weekend, and scored a number of cracking goals, but the D@MN FIFA u/l managed to butcher 4 of my 5 goals (when I go to view them online, they're only .5 seconds) so I only have one to post.

Meme Tchite scores a brilliant diving header near the end of regulation to put us up 1 - 0 against Sunderland (he's at the top right of the box (bottom right of your screen) and it's brilliant to watch him move, get open, and then lay out for the header).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sHckiR62DhQ

I signed Meme in the first transfer window and then later added Justin Mapp (USA) in the January transfer window. They've both been splendid, and that's one of the things I love about FIFA, discovering new (to me) players.

I had not heard of Tchite, but reading up on him (he's my leading scorer this year) I found he's got an American connection - as he played a few seasons at Standard Liege with Onyewu! It gets even better though, apparently, this entire summer he was on the verge of signing with Derby! So it's poetic justice that I bring him in and he plays wonderfully. (though, despite his brilliance, we're still sitting at 10 and desperately trying to hold on for our "top half" bonus).

BTW...anyone know why some players LOSE stat points throughout the year..? Am I mismanaging them? Are they too old? (many are indeed my older players, but not all) Are they just backsliding..?

Cheers fellas.

Last edited:
Certain players have different developmental curves so from 28-29 and onwards some will start to decline (obviously others will still improve until 31-32 then start to decline).

FIFA08/PS3
professional difficulty:

Champions League Final
Sporting Clube vs ACMilan(cpu)

full 1st half:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LyTe6Vo4Y8
better resolution: http://media.putfile.com/FIFA08-CL-Final-v-ACMilan-1st-half

full 2nd half:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Q62jSoU98
better resolution: http://media.putfile.com/cl-final-2nd-half

no goals in the first half. goals in the 2nd half.

just for those who still haven't played FIFA08 for PS3. #-o
please don't judge the gameplay by my 3rd rate skill! :lol:

Last edited:
That's it? The champions league final? A day match in a dodgey stadium followed by a 2 second clip at the end of the players posing for a camera shot. Thats shocking

Heading into the last match, my Derby boys were sitting at 10 with 50 points, desperately trying to stay up in the top half. Reading was 9 with 51 points and Arsenal was 11 with 50 points.

A draw wasn't going to guarantee we finished in the top half, we needed the win. 60 mins into our match vs. Bolton, we'd hit the frame twice, but it's still 0 - 0. Then the Bolton CB tried to cut back on Earnshaw... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvKCOsR-s-k
Now we need to make serious headway in season two. ;)

I started Manager Mode with Leeds about a month back on World Class.

Won the league, Paint Trophy and beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final :D looooong season, but it was worth it.

I haven't started the new season in the Championship yet, im currently looking for new players.

I have £13 million to spend, can anyone recommend decent players? i want to bring in around 8 new faces that can get me promoted to the Prem!
2 strikers, 1 keeper, 2 defenders, 3 midfield players.

Man City & Fulham have been relegated, so... I'm considering

Vassell (CF)
Kevin Philips (CF)
Niemi (GK)

Help finding new players around my prince range would be appreciated! Thanks.

I started Manager Mode with Leeds about a month back on World Class.

Won the league, Paint Trophy and beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final :D looooong season, but it was worth it.

I haven't started the new season in the Championship yet, im currently looking for new players.

I have £13 million to spend, can anyone recommend decent players? i want to bring in around 8 new faces that can get me promoted to the Prem!
2 strikers, 1 keeper, 2 defenders, 3 midfield players.

Man City & Fulham have been relegated, so... I'm considering

Vassell (CF)
Kevin Philips (CF)
Niemi (GK)

Help finding new players around my prince range would be appreciated! Thanks.

On world class???? Smeg you must be top draw!!

I bid for 1 player, then as i went to bud for another, this message pops up

YOU DON'T HAVE SUFFICIENT NEGOTIATION TIME TO SUBMIT AN OFFER.

Why ??? :mad:

I think it works per week........only so many slots per week. Not sure though.

Good final SPMC, loved how scrappy and close it was.

Its such a dissapointment though that EA managed to screw up what has been such an important part of their games, presentation! Having to play in Les F$%king Arts again really pisses me off. I had the same thing for the league cup final with accrington. Was looking forward to playing at Wembley and ended up playing in my own crappy 2nd division ground! With he EA games having the focus on graphics/presentation this year I really hope they sort it out, with the FM director in charge MM SHOULD be really great next year.

Well have played some more MM recently. The UEFA CUP match was against dijon, dominated both games. 1st match I was on top but couldnt create much against the 5 man defense. They went forward and won a freekick. Scored with a header from it (35thmin). Their only effort of the game. I managed to equalise in the 70th min and continued to desparetly try to get another but alas it ended 1-1. Then the return was nearly the same, I was dominating but couldnt create much, they sat back and didnt have a single shot on target. Sadly it ended 0-0 to leave me knocked out on away goals.

Have got boro in the QF of the FA Cup, hopefully I can get some revenge for them beating me in the QF of the league cup.

The league is going well, 5 poins clear of Manu and still keeping the distance. Managed a tough 1-0 win against bolton. They were really up for it and were the more dangoures and attacking thoughout the game, but a bit of class let me score in the 80th minute to get the win. Played 33 games now so should be able to hang on.

So with the season nearing its end I can still do the double!

I've started a new season with Portsmouth, really enjoying this one. I did one with Seville but because i don't really know the league or players i couldn't enjoy it as much.

I'll keep people updated on my progress through here.

Playin on World Class, manual through pass, semi passing, semi shooting (i think).

After about 6 games i'm 5th in league, knocked out of the 3rd round of the cup by Wolves. Who seemed pretty invincible to play against, which was ridiculous - i found every other premiership side easier to play against than them.

Made a couple of signings - Joao Moutinho (Ov. 82) for £5 Mill from Sporting Lisbon & a scouted Ivory Coast winger (Ov. 75) for £1 Mill & a scouted centre back from Peru for a mill.

This is how i line up.

---------------James-----------------
Johnson - Distin - Campbell - Taylor
Kranjčar - Muntari - Mendes - Moutinho
-----------Utaka - Nugent ------------

I'm expected to be within the top 3?! but on World Class i'm sure i'll be able to keep my form up all season.

After spending an age editing players boots and kits I started a new manager mode. I am playing on 'Professional.

Season 1.

Manager: Mike Stewart

Club: Manchester United

Wembley2007_L.jpg

Manchester United win 5-4 on penalties.

_44040712_winners2_pa416.jpg

0,,12306~3305497,00.jpg

Manchester United 1 (Rooney) Birmingham 0

1528383828-soccer-barclays-premier-league-birmingham-city-v-manchester-united-st.jpg

Everton 1 (Cahill) Manchester United 3 (Tevez 2, Rooney)

nev_tevez1.jpg

Manchester United 1 (Rooney) Reading 0

Manchester-United-v-Reading-FA-Barclays-Premiership-12th-August-2007_523796.jpg

Manchester City 3 (Elano 2, Dunne) Manchester United 2 (Giggs, Rooney)

C_71_article_1013940_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

carling_cup.jpg

Stockport County 0 Manchester United 2 (Saha, Anderson)

cufc_20060506_stockport_manager_470x309.jpg

0,,12306~3305497,00.jpg

Fulham 1 (Healey) Manchester United 2 (Tevez, Rooney)

FulhamVManU(ContensisVisit).jpg

Last edited:
0,,12306~3305497,00.jpg

Manchester United 0 Tottenham Hotspur 0

400x400_1188150266_spt_ai_manu_v_spurs_35.jpg

Chelsea 2 (Wright-Phillips 2) Manchester United 0

shaun_wright_phillips.jpg

Manchester United 3 (Giggs, Nani, Rooney) Aston Villa 0

P_Nani.jpg

Last edited:
carling_cup.jpg

Blackburn Rovers 1 (Roberts) Manchester United 2 (Brown, Campbell)

frazier_campbell.jpg

Jason%20Roberts.jpg

Last edited:
0,,12306~3305497,00.jpg

Newcastle United 2 (Martins, Butt) Manchester United 2 (Rooney 2)

240399453-soccer-barclays-premier-league-newcastle-united-v-everton-st-james.jpg

Premiership Table

1. Middlesbrough
2. Wigan Athletic
3. West Ham United
4. Chelsea
5. Manchester United
6. Newcastle United

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom