FIFA 08 Manager Mode Adventure Thread

João Moutinho, great signing :thumbup:

Yeah, he needed to take a couple of games to settle but the last game especially i played, he was brilliant. I think i'm gonna settle with my midfield for now - possibly in January get a strong CM (over 80).

Then in summer, through everything i have into gettin a world class striker.

0,,12306~3305497,00.jpg

Manchester United 0 West Ham United 0

0,,12562~3441614,00.jpg

Sunderland 1 (Whitehead) Manchester United 0

603.jpg

41410.png

The knives are being sharpened at Old Trafford

by Henry Winter

After a run of dissapointing results by Manchester United's high standards things need to improve at Old Trafford and quickly. Stewart was available after the loss at Sunderland; "I'm not going to get stressed out by the situation. I am here for the long haul so you (the press) can think and print what you want. We need to work on a few areas but I'm generally happy with my players. Wayne (Rooney) is in tremendous form, the new players are settling in quickly and the board is behind me. We have Middlesbrough at home in the league next and it's a game we must win in order to chase for the title."

The bookies are already taking bets on Stewart's contract being terminated. The question isn't if but when it seems.

Last edited:
As most of you who have been reading this thread are aware Tim and myself have been playing through La Liga with Atletico. Last night we ended our 2nd season there by winning the UEFA Cup. Though we finished a fair way behind both Barca and Real Madrid we were happy with a 3rd place finish but felt we have done all we could with the Spanish minnows. We end our time there with 2 trophies in 2 seasons, 3 if you include the funny pre-season cup type game with Barca which aint a bad haul at all.

Following our time in Spain we felt the need for a new challenge and heard the Premiership call our names. It was then just a case of who we felt we could do a job with, after a bit of discussion we went for Man City. Maybe its due to my likeness to Sven...okay, maybe not.

Anyways here is how its going so far at the City Of Mancherster Stadium. The first 2 games were played on World Class difficulty and the CPU never put a foot wrong and we just couldnt play against it so from game 3 we switched to Pro and the difference is fucking amazing. We could actually play against the CPU as we could actually get amongst them and cause the teams some problems, we have yet to play a big team since switching the difficulty down but I am sure that it will be a bit more fair.

Here are your results on our progress
Man City 0 Liverpool 2
Reading 1 Man City 0
Bolton 0 Man City 0
The reason this finished 0-0 was down to our keeper, Isaakson had a blinder. Here are a couple of them for you to sit there and be amazed by; Double save!; Amazing save!
Man City 0 Wigan 0
Man City 3 Sunderland 1
Here is one of the best deflections that I have ever seen that gave us our 3rd goal; Lucky boy!
Carling Cup Round 2 - Millwall 0 Man City 2
Everton 1 Man City 0
Man City 2 Villa 0
West Ham 0 Man City 1
Carling Cup Round 3 - Birmingham 2 Man City 2; Man City win 5-4 on pens

League Record - Played 8; Won 3; Drawn 2; Lost 3
We currently sit 12th in the table but there is a long way to go, stay tuned for more from this as well play on

0,,12306~3305497,00.jpg

Manchester United 1 (Rooney) Middlesbrough 0

200710271101396736266-pf.widec.jpg

carling_cup.jpg

Rochdale 0 Manchester United 1 (Anderson)

anderson.jpg

0,,12306~3305497,00.jpg

Manchester United 1 (Ronaldo) Blackburn Rovers 1 (Santa Cruz)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Aicb_c_-WhU

Liverpool 0 Manchester United 1 (Tevez)

rafa_benitez_liverp_351905a.jpg

tevmasc_JohnPeters.jpg

41410.png

1-0 to United

by Henry Winter

Three one nil victories and a draw against Blackburn see pride restored at Manchester United. Although still stuck in fifth place manager Mike Stewart seems to be settling in at Old Trafford. "He is a great manager, the players respect him." assistant manager Carlos Queiroz stated after the tough match against rivals Liverpool. "He is getting to grips with things here. That doesn't happen overnight."

Last edited:
Well with the enjoyment of last night we decided to crack on tonight and play a few more! Here's how it went:

[size=+1]Man City 0-2 Newcastle[/size]
Well, it was a pretty even game, but they just took their chances. For all the good that Isaakson has done, he was at fault for both goals here :(.

[size=+1]Man City 0-1 Chelsea[/size]
Bloody lucky twats. A lucky break of the ball and Wright Phillips smashed in in the 90th minute :(.

[size=+1]Derby 1-1 Man City[/size]
Another lucky break and Derby took the lead earlyish. But then about 10 minutes later an Elano free kick levelled things up. Derby had a man sent off with about 20 minutes to go, but we couldn't capitalise :(.

[size=+1]Carling Cup 4th Round:
Bolton 0-2 Man City
[/size]
Well, this was a pretty dull game and looking like it was heading towards extra time, until Vassell popped up with a brace in the last 20 minutes, the second was a lovely lob of the goalie :).

[size=+1]FA Cup 3rd Round Draw:
Manchester City v Watford
[/size]

[size=+1]Carling Cup Quarter Final Draw:
Manchester United v Manchester City
[/size]

Cracking... :( Well, not a great session at all, but we definately picked up the win in the most important game!

MM Update,

Finished my 1st prem season with Liverpool. Ended up winning the league by 9 points after winning 4 and drawing 1 of the last 5 games. Quite a few of those were 1-0's aswell and that allowed me to beat manu to the title with Chelsea in 3rd.

Finished the season off with the FA Cup final against Everton. The game went as expected with both team not creating much but Liverpools quality coming through a bit more to be the more dangerous team. However after 90min it was still 0-0. A fairly boring ET followed with Everton giving nothing away and Liverpool pushing more and more up to not have to win on penalties. That urgency turned out to be needed earlier as everton won 5-4 on penalties.

So after the 1st season the throphy haul was the premierleague after early exits in the CL (groupstage), Uefa Cup and League Cup. The double couldnt be done at the final hurdle. SO the season ended a bit dissapointingly.

The 2nd season is underway with about 8 games played, Liverpool are now top. One point ahead of Everton and 2 ahead of manu with them both having played 2 games less. They started the season well with a 3-2 win over Everton in the Community Shield. This season the aim really is to win in Europe and hopefully defend the title.

everton won 5-4 on penalties

Ouch :(

Everton are currently leading the Premiership in our MM, with Newcastle in 2nd!!!

We have been meeting with the chairman and owner, Mr Shinawatra, and we have a transfer target for when the window opens in January! We are hoping to get Theo Walcott from Arsenal, at a reasonable price too. He should fit in perfectly at right attacking midfield and could be used up front if needed. His pace is blistering and with the right guidance could be a key player in our bid for Europe.

Next session is likely to be on Wednesday when Mr CW returns from his work trip, (scouting in East Anglia :)).

Last edited:
Im in season 2010 and managed to sign MIKAAAAAAAAAAAAA richards on a free from you lot! (in Jan)

Have got him now for when carradona gets too old.

on my fourth season managing, i have decided to leave Sporting Clube on a high note.

i decided to try and work my magic in the Bundesliga (finally, quite a few REAL stadiums)
with Bayer Leverkusen (stadium: BayArena).

first goal, scored in the preseason
PremiereLigaPokal quarterfinal
vs HamburgerSV:

longer match highlights:

Last edited:
Wow, superb video quality! :shock: :D

The 2nd goal vs SV Wehen was some stunning football, great goal :applause:.

I've been thinking and I would really love to be recording in good quality like that and making highlights videos like you have done so well there SPMC. And as I've just sold my car (don't need it as have company van!), I have some money to use hopefully, if the missus will let me :lol:.

Finally started my 2nd season after being promoted to the Championship with Leeds United.

After 6 games in the league ive collected maximum points and sit top of league 4 points clear :D

I crashed out of the Carling Cup in the 1st round, the AI scored a last second screamer :(

I also made my first ever signings since i took the job at Leeds. 8 new faces added to the squad :)

Kirkland (Wigan)

Kight (Aston Villa)
Bouma (Aston Villa)
Sonko (Reading)
Hoyte (Arsenal)

Diarra (Arsenal)
Diaby (Arsenal)

Kevin Philips (West Brom)

I have 2 more weeks left of transfers, i hope to bring in Kieran Richardson, Gerard Pique and Tomas Graverson.

4-3-3

----------------Kirkland

--Hoyte----Sonko--------Knight----Bouma

--------Diarra-----Diaby----- ?????

-----Andre Flo----------------Beckford
---------------------Philips

Wow, superb video quality! :shock: :D

The 2nd goal vs SV Wehen was some stunning football, great goal :applause:.

I've been thinking and I would really love to be recording in good quality like that and making highlights videos like you have done so well there SPMC. And as I've just sold my car (don't need it as have company van!), I have some money to use hopefully, if the missus will let me :lol:.

wow!! that is awesome quality!

thanks, guys!
it ain't bad for a 480p source!

Tim7, i replied to your pm.
but to reiterate, just in case anyone else is wondering, i have my PS3 hooked up to a regular DVD recorder via 'S-Video' input (i don't know what the PAL equivalent is). i'll then take the dvd and rip it onto my pc. i'll take that file and both edit it and convert it with Nero to AVI. then the AVI to DIVX. wtf!? i'm no expert...

ever since i've stopped editing for PS2, all my surplus blank dvd's are being utilized :lol:

anyways, thanks to Matt10 and his 'Back to the Top: Leeds United (FIFA 08 Manager Mode)' thread for indirectly turning me on to the 'Stage6' video hosting site.

Last edited:
MM update:

Played another few matches recently, am playing some really beautiful stuff and scoring some really good goals. Also conceded and briliantly random goal against WH. Boa morte out on the wing, cuts inside and is on the edge of the box, he crosses the ball but one of my defenders could close him down and tries to block teh cross. The ball deflects off my defenders back and loops over reina (who was in position to collect a normal cross) and over the line. Never seen anything like that before on pes. Have also had a couple of shots get a wicked deflection with their goalie only just managing to tip it over whilst going the wrong way.

Anyway, am now 3rd and played a game more then everybody else so can go down to 5th. Manu are top, 3 points ahead of me, with mancity 2nd and chelsea, everton below me in 4th and 5th. Played 13matches now. Am having a harder time then last season as Ive already lost at home to manu 1-2 and recently drawn 0-0 against mancity.

CL is going ok, played inter at home for the 1st match and dominated them without creating too much. Got ahead in the 1st half and was pretty comfortable for the rest of the match. Then in the 85th min they get a corner and score from it for their only effort of the game. FT 1-1

Then played away at benfica and after a tough 1st half when they should have gone ahead I managed to take control in the 2nd and win fairly comfortably 0-2. Played the 3rd match of the round away and PSV and was ripping them apart in the 1st half with some amazing football, went in at HT 1-0 up. Second half they were better in defense with Gerrard especially losing a lot of possesion for me. The game got scrappy but still there wasnt much going on. Then near the end, final 15min, they started to pass it about a bit better and managed to get an equaliser, 1-1. Stepped my game up again and went close a couple of times but couldnt get the winner so it stayed 1-1.

Am now 2nd in the group a point behind inter who have also played a game more. Should be able to get through this season, although I thought that last season aswell and conceded a 90th min. goal at home to get knocked out and dumped into the UEFA cup.

Am enjoying this more and more and seem to have found a perfect difficulty. The majority of games I can win, either with good football or sometimes hanging on and taking my chances. Also have some tough games were it just doesnt work out and end up drawing or losing. Its a pretty accurate representation of Liverpool for me so thats really good. Also am playing some great passing football going forward with my front 4 and passing between them all and picking out great runs from torres and gerrard. Even scored the same goal against Reading as they did in real life, Torres collected the ball on the edge of the area with his back to goal, turned towards the centre and passed the ball for gerrard to run onto who slotted it into the bottom right corner :D

Ouch :(

Everton are currently leading the Premiership in our MM, with Newcastle in 2nd!!!

We have been meeting with the chairman and owner, Mr Shinawatra, and we have a transfer target for when the window opens in January! We are hoping to get Theo Walcott from Arsenal, at a reasonable price too. He should fit in perfectly at right attacking midfield and could be used up front if needed. His pace is blistering and with the right guidance could be a key player in our bid for Europe.

Next session is likely to be on Wednesday when Mr CW returns from his work trip, (scouting in East Anglia :)).

Yes and after going to watch Peterborough play Rotherham last night I have a few names I want to run by you ;)

finally the first league game of the season.
it's good we start the campaign at home.
it's going to be a tough week since we still have to contend
in the final of the Premiere-LigaPokal, a few days later.

Bundesliga - week 1
vs VFLWolfsburg

match highlights:

hitting the woodwork three times
is worth the price of admission,
and it's free.

Last edited:
having won our opening Bundesliga match just a few days earlier,
we were hoping that fatigue wouldn't dim our chances of collecting
our first piece of silverware.

Premiere-LigaPokal final
vs Schalke04

match highlights:

next up: Champion's League qualifier
1st leg vs SBV Vitesse.

Last edited:
Carling Cup Final

carling_cup.jpg

Newcastle United 1 (Milner) Manchester United 6 (Tevez 3, Nani, Saha, Brown)

P_Cristiano_Ronaldo_Carlos_Tevez.jpg

james_milner.jpg

_41378312_neville.jpg

Last edited:
FIFA08 ECC qualifier
(Champions League) qualifier
v SBV Vitesse
1st leg

match highlights:

Leverkusen 1 - Vitesse 0

Man City 1-2 Arsenal
Blackburn 1-0 Man City
Man City 3-0 Portsmouth
Man Utd 1-0 Man City
Man City 1-1 Birmingham
Fulham 1-0 Man City
Man City 4-2p Man Utd - Carling Cup Quarter Final
Man City 3-1 Middlesbrough
Tottenham 0-2 Man City - Licata looping shot (CW)
Man City 1-0 Reading
Man City 2-1 Derby
Man City 0-2 Bolton
Liverpool 2-2 Man City
Man City 2-0 Watford - FA Cup 3rd Round - Licata bullet (CW)
Wolves 0-0 Man City - Carling Cup Semi Final 1st Leg
Birmingham 0-1 Man City
Man City 3-2 Wolves - Carling Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg
Man City 0-0 Man Utd
Man City 1-0 Middlesbrough - FA Cup 4th Round
Tottenham 1-4 Man City - Carling Cup Final

Viewable goals are posted in purple after the result :)

We are currently 11th in the Premiership, the poor start has killed us really, the best we can hope for now is a UEFA Cup spot. And the FA Cup 5th Round draw is: Man City v Reading

Well, the January transfer window has been and gone, and we were quite active in it:

Bought: Walcott (£3M), Huntelaar (£5M), Kameni (£3.7M), Makoun (£4M)
Scouted In: Kirita (CB), Tonge (CAM), Licata (CAM)
Sold: Bianchi, Samaras, Vassell, Bojinov
Loans Out: Grimes (Sevilla), Schmeichel (Tottenham), Sturridge (Newcastle)

We have definately boosted our squad in the right areas, and some great signings in there have boosted our overall team star rating to 4 and a half stars :D.

The Carling Cup final we were a different class. Completely played Tottenham off the park, which showed in the final statistics, with us having 15 shots, to Tottenham's 2! Huntelaar was on top form, grabbing a hat trick, with Mpenza also getting on the scoresheet.

In the last 5 or so games, we just seem to have clicked, and are playing some lovely football. Moving quickly from defence to attack and carving out chances with some lovely passing. Mpenza and Huntelaar seem to work up front and the midfield is always getting forward to support them :). Here is the current formation and starting 11 that we pick, if available:

photo-2.jpg

Subs: Kirita (77), Licata (81), Hamaan (75), Geovanni (77), Elano (80)

some great goals from CW there, Tim7.

Bundesliga - fixture 2
v HamburgerSV

match highlights:

Leverkusen 3 (Gekas 23', Schneider 48', Barbarez 92')
HamburgerSV 1 (Van Der Vaart 62')

Has anyone actually created themselves within the game and built themselves to a good standard within Manager Mode.

I started one with Portsmouth but because it's not my favoured team...i really can't be arsed anymore. I didn't really want to start one with Man City and use myself in the game - cos i don't think i could ever give myself a game.

So, really what i'm saying is - has anyone started a game in a low league playin themselves and actually raising their player level high?

@ Tim,

Use the same formation, works really well with good defensive cover and a good midfield attack. For me the only problem is when Torres gets injured (fortunately it has hardly happend in 1,5 seasons) and I have to play kuyt or crouch. They just dont have the pace to make things happen and the attack gets blunted.

Update:

Lost the League Cup final 1-0 after petrov scored a 89th min winner with their only shot of the game........bastards!

I hit the inside of the post with the ball rolling across the goalline and out next to the other post, had a ball cleared of the line and generally had good chances and should have won.

Dissapointed with the result, was on for the quadruple with the league being between me and Manu (equal points after 25games, 3rd 8 points behind) through to the FA cup QF and in the 1st knockoutround of the CL drawn against Bayern Munich.

Not had much luck with the cup finals so far, had the same happen to me with Accrington Stanley :( and last season lost on penalties in the FA cup to Everton of all teams.......Its great this game!

Last edited:
Yeah I found new love for this game on Friday - I really love The Manager Mode. Because I play it less, usually only Friday's, I am loving it - I play for 3-4 hours in one session and have a great time. Still haven't completed a season in Manager Mode though - I am nearly there.

Question: If you draw an FA Cup game, does it go to a replay (like in real life) because I have only won my games so far.

Yeah I found new love for this game on Friday - I really love The Manager Mode. Because I play it less, usually only Friday's, I am loving it - I play for 3-4 hours in one session and have a great time. Still haven't completed a season in Manager Mode though - I am nearly there.

Question: If you draw an FA Cup game, does it go to a replay (like in real life) because I have only won my games so far.

No mate, it goes straight to extra time and pens

Yup, we found that out the other day! :lol:

And I still can't get over Cup Finals being played at the home teams stadium :mad: How fucking hard would it have been to get the Carling Cup and FA Cup finals at Wembley? Honestly, it takes away about 50% of the game enjoyness for me.

Back
Top Bottom