FIFA 08

I know what you mean - I'm just trying to do a transfer update for the Premiership myself, but the squads thing was confusing me. I now think I've got it sorted though, with the latest downloaded squads (Feb 08), which I have saved as Squads 2, and then I will load that, do the transfers and save it again as Squads 2. Then before I start my Manager Mode with Arsenal, I will make sure that Squads 2 is loaded.

Hopefully that's right! :-pp Maybe Placebo can confirm as he does a lot of offline stuff?

Anyone know how I can edit a player's stats in the edit mode? I'm talking about in-game players and not created ones. I wish it was as simple as PES.

You can only do it by freeing up points from other areas, or by buying point packs from the shop, crap but that's the way it is, hopefully improved in Fifa09.

I know what you mean - I'm just trying to do a transfer update for the Premiership myself, but the squads thing was confusing me. I now think I've got it sorted though, with the latest downloaded squads (Feb 08), which I have saved as Squads 2, and then I will load that, do the transfers and save it again as Squads 2. Then before I start my Manager Mode with Arsenal, I will make sure that Squads 2 is loaded.

Hopefully that's right! :-pp Maybe Placebo can confirm as he does a lot of offline stuff?

Yep that sounds about right, just be sure to keep two saved copies of your edited manager mode squads just to be on the safe side until you've started your manager mode :)

And there's a bug where you'll lose one younger player from the squad, always happens to me with Sheffield Wednesday so I hold off transferring out the younger players we've released and restart manager mode until the player I lose is one of the ones who was released in real life anyways, then just sell the rest on the transfer market :)

Thanks mate :)). So when I get to Newmarket and have no internet access I will load up FIFA and then load my Squads 2 and then do the transfers that I will have printed out. Then after they are all done I will save and overwrite Squads 2, but then also save again to a new slot called Squads 3. Then before I start my Manager Mode, I should make sure that Squads 2 is loaded.

Have I got it? :DD

No I didn't, I just went on FIFA and it said there was an update available, it didn't take long to download so it is probably only a very minor update...

me and my mates played 2 v 2 fifa local last night. EVERY FUCKING GOAL WAS A DEFLECTION OFF THE KEEPER. 6 games, all shit goals. ridiculous

Can someone give me tips on how to improve my shooting. I hate shooting with the stick, its no where near as precise as the d pad.

I'm no expert on methods, regardless of how many crackers I've scored on the game, but using the Finesse button when shooting works fine for me when inside 20 yards. I always wait until the ball is half a stride to a full stride in front of my player and give the left analog a semi circle spin just on impact for as much spin as possible. In terms of actually aiming the shot, I use forward+up/down when in the box, or simply up/down when outside the box, then add the above mentioned spin with the half-circle on left analog.

Obviously you then have to change the angle of your stick direction when running from a different angle towards goal other than left-to-right across the screen.

Also, I use the direct shot shoulder button (L1 for me) when doing free kicks, but I haven't scored in months, just hit the woodwork a lot.

Can someone give me tips on how to improve my shooting. I hate shooting with the stick, its no where near as precise as the d pad.

You mean you find it harder shooting with the analogue as shooting with the d-pad is easier! Analogue is the way forward my friend, much more precise :)).

haha i said that before

how can the dpad be precise if it only has 8 directions!!!!!!

with the Analogue you can pick your spot, with the D-Pad the CPU will aim it to the nearest angle for ya because there's nothing in between

Shooting with the d pad is more precise because I can aim better, I've missed a lot of opportunities because my finishing has been poor. e.g. I'll aim for the bottom corner only for the play to send it wideeee.

that's my point you can aim better because its only 8 directions and the CPU does the bits inbetween

Analogue has massive margins for error when shooting and you can put it exactly where you want if your good at it

I'm no expert on methods, regardless of how many crackers I've scored on the game, but using the Finesse button when shooting works fine for me when inside 20 yards. I always wait until the ball is half a stride to a full stride in front of my player and give the left analog a semi circle spin just on impact for as much spin as possible. In terms of actually aiming the shot, I use forward+up/down when in the box, or simply up/down when outside the box, then add the above mentioned spin with the half-circle on left analog.

Obviously you then have to change the angle of your stick direction when running from a different angle towards goal other than left-to-right across the screen.

Also, I use the direct shot shoulder button (L1 for me) when doing free kicks, but I haven't scored in months, just hit the woodwork a lot.
Does that actually work? I will have to give that a try :).

was playing StuartCulli and his mate aimaker i think it was the other night and i was aston villa and they were chelsea i think

anyway i was brought down a few times and scored some stunning free kicks :-..., which got the reaction wtf how which made me giggle i then went on to 3-0 and the fuckers quit which then turned my giggle into a frown

faggots quit lads, unless your going to play another game or something, but StuartCulli messaged me saying his mate quit :SHAKE: but he could of carried on the 1v1 but didn't

i thought randoms were bad enough on this game :CONFUSE:

that's my point you can aim better because its only 8 directions and the CPU does the bits inbetween

Analogue has massive margins for error when shooting and you can put it exactly where you want if your good at it

Well I tried the R1 shot a few more times last night and had better results, I'll just have to keep at it I guess.

Once you crack it you will love it :))

Just practice in the Arena in a bit, run up to goal in a straight line and keep trying to put the ball just inside the post. That should help alot

Will do.

Has anyone played in an online game where the bars, score and player icons are all missing?

Does anyone else hate how you can make a 180 degree clearance and it'll go all the way to the other end?
Yeah I hate that, very unrealistic, as is sprinting madly after a ball that has been played over the full back to the winger and hooking a clearance away which goes in a perfect straight line next to the sideline which doesn't go out of play, making the attacking team lose all their momentum. In real life the only options you would have really are to head/clear the ball out of play for a throw, hooking a perfectly straight clearance all the way up the line is not an option.

I also don't like how passes can be intercepted so easily, even if the defender is wrong footed (momentum going one way, pass aimed the other) - it turns a lot of matches into scrappy midfield slugfests.

This game is getting boring and repetitive for me now for the following reasons:

Online - 99% of people are dickheads, using 5 star teams constantly, having all assisted controls and using cheap tactics such as the kick-off bug and cutbacking. They also constantly hold A and B (which gets the controlled player and another AI player to pressure you), and because of the response times, this is a very effective tactic which gives you little/no time on the ball, you can't do a smart change of direction to go past them either because the AI which controls how the players pressure you is too responsive to changes in direction. Everyone online does it and it is fucking stupid how effective it is, if you try and pass it round to avoid them then it just gets intercepted because anything within 5 yards of a player gets intercepted it seems...
If someone closed me down all game in PES5/6 I would murder them at it and win by a few goals easily most of the time because well timed traps and changes in direction would skin them or win free kicks most times - The way to defend in PES was to block off passing lanes and back off a player until the right moment when you can nip in and take the ball (like real life) but in FIFA it is just constantly close down all match.
Also, 5v5 online isn't all it was cracked up to be with it being even more unresponsive, people pausing the game constantly, people quitting when they start losing, people abusing each other, people rushing for the best players on the player select screen etc.

Offline - The AI always has a perfect defensive line, is too responsive to your tricks/turns, Manager Mode is unrealistic, the underdog AI, all teams play the same style.

Game design - The keepers in this game are terrible - they are almost unbeatable at their far post and awful at their near post, this should be the opposite, too many shots are parried and instead of pushing shots round the post, they push them into a strikers path for an easy rebound goal because the keepers are so slow to get up off the floor and react to a second shot.
The shooting is crap, you can't hit it with much power and none of the shots dip and they only seem to curl if they are mishits, the volleys are also crap, I have never seen one volley on FIFA go up in the air and then dip down, this is one of my favourite things about PES5, how some of the shots dip. I have never even seen a full volley (ball not bounced) struck cleanly in FIFA, they all roll along the floor or fly miles over.
Player ratings making no difference - Only speed and strength have a big impact on the game it seems.
Set pieces - Defensive free kicks end up just being hit and hope hoofs because of the terrible camera angle, you can't tell where your srikers are. Attacking free kicks are repetitive because you always have to aim for the same corner (over the wall) apart from when you are right at the edge of the box. The corners are rubish as you can't see where your players are, and the aerial challenge system is crap, chich I will come onto...
Aerial challenge system - It sucks, a maximum of 2 players can challenge for the same ball, and only the one who the AI decides will win the challenge attempts to head it.
Player models being too similar - In PES you could easily tell the difference between two players based on their height and build, on FIFA you have to look at the player name bar because they all look similar. It's hard to even tell the difference between black and white players sometimes, you have to look closely.

Playing PES5 with some mates just highlights the faults in this game even more, I love how you can use super cancel to muscle smaller players off the ball (but risk giving a foul if you do it too much) and take your players off their "rails" with super cancel to get to a ball first.
It had mazy dribbles, spectacular volleys, unstoppable powerful strikes, powerful headers, glancing headers, nice free kicks, goal-line blocks etc. FIFA matches seem to be much the same every time and it gets repetitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I agree with all of that. Played my first few games of FIFA for 2 months and I was bored after 3 matches. It's pants really.

The ball over the top and your man watching it and jogging giving the AI defence chance to catch up always gets my back up, I end up screaming "run don't fecking watch it"... This must happen at least three times a game..

Back
Top Bottom