FIFA 09 Manager Mode Thread

hey guys i am also doing a tricky manager mode, i am in my first season with Athletic Club Bilbao. They have a policy of signing only players from the basque provinces of Spain and France and I am keeping that policy so it is very difficult =). we have only one loss so far this year in the league to Barcelona (i am on world class so it is nigh impossible to beat them because we are too slow and not skilled enough). We have many draws though lol. The first half of the season is done and there are only 9 matches left. So far here's how we have faired:

La Liga: 2nd place (13 points behind Barca) (1 Loss)

Copa del Rey: Semi-Final (Loss 3-0 Aggregate to Xerez, i was using my reserves throughout the cup so reasonably pleased. I got some good draws as well the hardest team i faced was 3.5 stars.)

Transfers In:
Raul Garcia (Athletico Madrid - 4.5m) - young player born in Navarre so qualifies for Athletic Club
Dani Aquino (Real Murcia - 600k) - not sure how he's Basque but in FM you can get him so i assume he is eligible somehow. only 18 also real bargain.
Stephane Ruffier (Monaco - 2m) - born in french basque country

haven't but anyone else but i plan on buying asier del horno from valencia so i can get some more talent at left back, he is also fairly athletic so he will add some pace down the wing.

Our main player early in the year was Etxeberria, he was scoring almost a goal per match but he has definitely cooled down and has been injured for short spells. later on Fernando Llorente began to improve and is now second in la liga in goals and i am trying to make him the first basque player in 25 years to win the pichichi- he is only 3 goals behind Raul for the league lead with almost 10 less matches played. also he is coming off a hat trick against deportivo la coruna and we have Barca in our next match so he has really found his form at the right time. we will have to win that match if we hope to win the league.

Anyway all together i am delighted with the performance of the club, Llorente especially has become brilliant he never misses a chance and he is golden in the air, and Raul Garcia is the future of the club, great vision and tremendous passing everything i can ask for. my hope is that if i can get Xabi Alonso or Mike Arteta next year we will be able to challenge in europe and possibly win the league if i am lucky XD. the club was terrible only 3.5 stars in the beginning but now they r 4 stars so what a magical year.:)

oh also here is my formation it is a simple 4-1-2-1-2 with emphasis on pace and crosses, llorente is 6''5 so he gets quite a few goals off headers. also he has excellent heading and jumping ability.

GK: Iraizoz - 80
RB: Iraola - 75
CB: Amorebieta - 80
CB: Aitor Ocio - 77
LB: Koikili - 68
CDM: Javi Martinez - 74
RM: Raul Garcia - 76
LM: Gabilondo - 73
CAM: Yeste - 81
RS: Etxeberria - 75
LS: Fernando Llorente - 80

I learned all about Llorente's aerial power in my MM last night! Start of the 2014/15 season with Gimnastic, first game away at the San Mamés. I picked a defensive 4-4-1-1 formation and the first half went well, had more of the possession and we were playing some patient, composed football.

In the second half Llorente just caught fire, a couple of lofted crosses were floated into my box and he annihilated my defenders in the air. At 0-2 I was forced to open up and chase the game but found Athletic in utterly lethal mood - they finished each of their chances to hand us a somewhat unfair but emphatic 5-0 defeat... not the best of starts! Llorente scored 3 or 4 of those :BLEH:

Apart from that exception, things at Gimnastic are going reasonably well. After promotion in my first season with the club (2012/13), last season was about surviving in the top flight and this was achieved without too much of a scare, finishing 13th.

Unfortunately this wasn't enough to finish in the top half, which meant I didn't qualify for the €1m sponsor loyalty payout that I use as my transfer budget. Instead I dug into the club's €1.5m coffers, buying two players for transfer fees and selling one, leaving just €750,000 in the club's account. As such, although the 'Nastic fans adore me, the board is no longer quite so impressed! They've reluctantly backed me but at the expense of my job security, so I can't afford more capitulations like the one in Bilbao.

It could be an interesting season. The task ahead is to improve on last year's 13th and aim for at least 10th, which will be a challenge. Finishing in the top half would mean I could keep my better players, otherwise I'll have to sell before I can buy again. That's if I intend to stick around in Tarragona after this fourth year at the club, or maybe there'll be a chance to move somewhere bigger... I'll see how it goes.

:RSCARF: :RSCARF: :RSCARF:

Hi everyone, I am managing my local team (Blackburn Rovers) and it has been hard. I have only 3 wins in my first ten games. but i have progressed to the fourth round in the League Cup. My current league position is 12th.

I am trying to make it realistic so I have set the following rules: no un-realistic signings, accept all bids for all players, 15% on bonuses on all contracts, keep ticket prices at low and use the lowest paid sponsor.

I have made one signing, Leroy Lita (Reading), for £750,000 because I felt my attacking options lacked pace. I hope to give you all another update soon..

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am managing my local team (Blackburn Rovers) and it has been hard. I have only 3 wins in my first ten games. but i have progressed to the fourth round in the League Cup. My current league position is 12th.

I am trying to make it realistic so I have set the following rules: no un-realistic signings, accept all bids for all players, 15% on bonuses on all contracts, keep ticket prices at low and use the lowest paid sponsor.

I have made one signing, Leroy Lita (Reading), for £750,000 because I felt my attacking options lacked pace. I hope to give you all another update soon..

Good work and nice to see you're keeping it real as they say, keep off the trainers and let us know how you get on...;)

Just remembered one of my rules it to not edit my staff at all, so that I will have to rotate for the odd league game and mid week matches.

Made the quarters of the league cup beating spurs 2-0 at home with my reserves.

Coming towards December now and I have made progress in the league with the wins coming fast I am 10th with 6-4-6 (wins-draws-losses) and 22 points.

My season objective is 3rd which means roll on january so i can strengthen my squad!

It is mid February in my manager mode and since my last post things have really picked up! I am now lying in 8th spot with 40 points, although I have exited both the league and th FAcup.

I was hoping to add some quality starting 11 players to my team but I found out the hard way how small my squad was and needed to add some rotational players.

I purchased Luque a left midfielder for £240,000, Jonas Troest for £180,000 and Raffaele Longo for £136,500. Altogether I only spent £556,500, not bad!

I also sold 5 players: Stephen Warnock £2m, Lars Jacobsen £895k, Danny Simpson £1m, Martin Olson £300k and Alan Judge £130k.

In recent weeks I have change to a 3-4-3 formation which has all attackers as strikers, which has worked well leading me to two 5-0 wins in the last four games.

The end of season update for MM:

I managed to guide Blackburn to a 6th place finish in the league, which I was extremley suprised to find did not qualify me for the EUFA cup of the EFA cup as they call it.

Despite this excellent finish for the squad I had at my disposal this did not impress the board who said they would allow me to stay another season as long as things improved. To my shock as I signed on for another season with the lowest sponsor I discovered my season objective was to win the league!

Seems like this season could well be my last managin my beloved Blackburn :(

The end of season update for MM:

I managed to guide Blackburn to a 6th place finish in the league, which I was extremley suprised to find did not qualify me for the EUFA cup of the EFA cup as they call it.

Despite this excellent finish for the squad I had at my disposal this did not impress the board who said they would allow me to stay another season as long as things improved. To my shock as I signed on for another season with the lowest sponsor I discovered my season objective was to win the league!

Seems like this season could well be my last managin my beloved Blackburn :(

Jesus mate how long a half are you playing ;) are you doing nothiong but FIFA all day...:D

I'm playing 5 minute halfs and basically I am playing Fifa all day seeing as I'm off school with no homework and there will be another update soon as I am nearing the end of the september transfer window haha :)

Never, people actually being able to force enjoyment out of Fifa09's flaccid manager mode never gets tired :)

Well here it comes then:

Start of the 2009/10 season with Blackburn Rovers. My objective is to win the league (someone's ambitious) but it hasn't gone to badly apart from an opening day defeat to Wigan. A shock away win against Liverpool has put me in third place with 9 points behind Chelsea and Portsmouth by 1 point.

During the transfer window I have spent £2.74m on these players;
CB Lewin Nyatanga £165,000
CDM Arouca £450,000
CDM Leon Andreasen £1.6m (My record signing)
RM Liam Lawrence £330,000
ST David Williams £285,000

The main reason for buying all these players was to flesh out my squad as on my cup run last season my team became extremely fatigued, but Andreasen was to strengthen my starting 11.

Last edited:
I'm the same as Placebo - I envy anyone who can get any enjoyment out of the incredibly thin manager mode and playing against the awful AI! I wish I could :).

Naah don't do that Tim you'll hate it, unless you do it for the achievements: buy 50 players, manage in 15 different countries in 15 seasons, buy someone for £50m and sell someone for £50m.

Even if I play fully manual and play by your rules?

I know I'll end up getting annoyed / frustrated. But I was going to be a Championship team, maybe Ipswich or someone like that. Maybe QPR actually because then the money would be kinda realistic. I was going to do all the major transfers then start one. Especially seeing as I have tomorrow night and Saturday night missus-free.

Well for someone who's not really into the offline/manager mode aspect of the game I think you'll find all the small missing things frustrating to your experience, no night matches, 2 matches on the same day when in the Prem etc. etc.

Yeah hopefully I can see past that stuff and just enjoy it! Done all Premiership transfers and top European clubs ones. Then edited Premiership formations and dropped defences all the way back. Playing on fully manual, 5 min halves, CPU on professional. I decided to go for Man City! Played one match so far:

Man City 1-3 Fulham

Got a bit raped really. Though I have to say I really enjoyed the match :)). Hopefully I'm still feeling this way after 10+ matches! Could do with a few wins as well along the way :LOL:.

After being sacked by my beloved Blackburn during a dreadful mid season, I have decided to have a go at MM again! I am going to try and learn how to play on semi/manual controls. Any suggestions as to where I can start my new career?

If you're going to play on semi/manual don't go Tranmere or any other League 1 team, it's a bloody nightmare.

I'd pick a Championship team with good stats and try to get them promoted if I was starting again. So I'll be Newcastle a lot in FIFA 10. :D

Hmmm, sounds alright, I might have a go at getting them promoted and give them a bit of stability in the league and the chance my arm in a foreign lower league.

Really frustrated with the budget system, I really let it get out of control and all hell broke loose and it was like a 50M budget at Blackburn which would never ever happen in real life. So I have started again in the spanish second division with Rayo Vallencano. It is a challenge as my budget is only 600 Euros so... I'll let you know how I get on.

Last edited:
Small update from me:

Drew 0-0 with Wigan, then got raped 4-0 at Stamford Bridge. 3 games and no wins, I didn't think I was gonna last very long... Next match was at home to West Ham and I made a few changes to the side and we won 2-0.

Then we had a tough trip to Stockport in the Carling Cup, I made a number of changes, one enforced as Gareth Barry had a bruised toe and was out for 8 days. I rested about 4 other people. This was a brilliant cup tie! Stockport actually took the lead after about 30 mins, but then about 5 mins later Adebayor smashed one in, (nearly took the hinges off the net), at the other end. It stayed 1-1 and we went to extra time, my superior squad fitness started to show as Stockport got tired and made errors. It was all me but I just couldn't score. In the 2nd half of extra time Richard Dunne picked up his 2nd yellow card and took an early bath. It went to penalties and we won 3-2, phew.

On the back of that was Premiership against West Brom. Brought the first teamers back in and won 3-0 with a Roque Santa Cruz hat trick! The last being a penalty in the last 10mins, I had to let him take it!

I think I am 11th now. Not the best start, but have managed to steady the ship and we're looking good for the rest of the season.

I know. Now I'm trapped in Placebo's manager mode dungeon of doom. Locked away for centuries down here alongside Chris Davies and Nick Cave!

Seriously though I think I've just hit my limit of nobheads online and it's actually so refreshing to play against the AI, (which plays a decent game to be fair), and be able to play football properly :)).

Well I have been trying to use manual controls in my MM with Rayo Vallecano and it has been a poor start. My only two goals have been penalties and I have been spurning all sorts of chances. Has anyone got any tips?

I don't want another 4-1 defeat to the likes of R.C Celta! (I think that's Celta Vigo)

Back
Top Bottom