FIFA 09 PC discussion thread

Wowlman

Banned
4 February 2006
Seeing as us PC owners are kind of the outcasts in the FIFA stakes this year, I thought I'd set up a thread especially.

OK yes, it's been drummed into our heads now that FIFA on 360/PS3 is superior. But some of us have already spent all our money on that shiny new graphics card!!!

As it stands, I think FIFA 09 on PC is still looking pretty decent, and a lot better than PES 2009, most importantly.

So, those of you who are planning on buying the PC version... what are your thoughts on the details we've had so far?

fuck this game on the pc. it has OLD gen gameplay and no matter how bad PES08 was on the pc last year, its still miles better then the old gen gameplay of fifa

Thanks for your input Jonney, but that's not very helpful - we're well aware the next-gen version is meant to be better, and I am as pissed off as anyone else that EA have underestimated the PC platform in this way, but some of us are still looking forward to the game.

It concerns me that certain people are slating this 'old game engine' - no doubt the game engine has changed somewhat, and just because it is based on the old engine does not mean it will play badly. Remember the old Pro Evo games were based on a similar 8-directional engine and they were better than the more recent versions.

As it stands, FIFA 08 even on PC had better ball physics and EA than Pro Evo 2008 - as long as they fix the slightly sluggish ball control I will be happy.

FIFA 09 PC IMO will be the 2nd best footie game on the market. better than PES on 360/PS3 aswell.

FIFA 09 PC IMO will be the 2nd best footie game on the market. better than PES on 360/PS3 aswell.

Quite. I've been getting really fed up of the superspeed gameplay of PES 2008, teammates not doing what you want them to do, players crashing into each other constantly, it's just not footy anymore. FIFA looks like a big improvement.

The possibility of playing the game just with mouse sounds interesting.. It can be incredible or a total disaster. Just have to wait and see. By the way what is this "pc has last gen gameplay" talk?! Aby proof of that?

The possibility of playing the game just with mouse sounds interesting.. It can be incredible or a total disaster. Just have to wait and see. By the way what is this "pc has last gen gameplay" talk?! Aby proof of that?
see the vids. it has ps2 animations BUT has next gen collisions but thats about it. i will try teh demo and if its better then pes09d emo, i may get ffia09 on the pc also

EA is so afraid of "piracy" (cracked xbox360 owners laughing at ea's face) that they wont make a decent pc version to even attempt to fight pes...if they do someone will make a teamserver and make fifa a half decent game...

From what I've seen of the demo videos, I don't really like the mouse control. It's a clever idea, and I'm sure it'll be fun in small doses, but from what I saw it causes the movement to look very erratic and unnatural. It looks much better with a standard gamepad. That said, all the hands-on previews I've read said that it's really good fun and it's possible to string together some really nice moves.

The PC version does have 'last-gen' gameplay, but seriously, far too much is being made of it. It's clearly not as good as the next-gen console versions, but it still appears to play a lot more naturally than PES.

Remember that FIFA 08 on PC actually got some pretty good reviews (mostly 7 or 8 out of 10), and I've been playing it recently and it's really not that bad. DEFINITELY better than PES2008 overall. And don't forget that there will be gameplay tweaks that should tighten everything up quite nicely.

FIFA 08 on pc is definitely better than PES 08. I've always liked what you could do outside of manager mode in FIFA, and I think this year they've finally surpassed gameplay as well. Also, graphical mods available for FIFA make it look a lot nicer than it does out of the box.

Seriously? I had no idea about that, Dave. I'll have a look for that.

But glad to get some more PC conversation going anyway. As far as I can tell, FIFA on PC plays much like the better Pro Evo games did, but with better ball physics and player AI, which is no bad thing.

And yeah, the ability to patch the PC version is very good. You can't patch the game engine, but we will (hopefully) be getting new player faces, kits, balls, scoreboard graphics, etc. If there can be a big patching community like Pro Evo of recent years, it could be very interesting.

Last edited:
I have to disagree somewhat, I thought FIFA 08 on PC was awful...it was a PS2 port and a cheap and nasty one at that - unoptimized, buggy (the right analogue stick simply wouldn't work for me and the custom controls refused to stick)....PES2008 for PC was infinitely better than FIFA 08 on PC. Next Gen versions is another story and this year I don't know what to think yet as time will tell. But last year FIFA on PC was just crap, it was half arsed and there was no two ways about it. At least PES operated well unlike FIFA.

well,i have to agree with thommohawk. somehow still,i wish there's something special with this bloody ugly game. maybe the collision..i still going to get this on my pc,while i searching for a console.

I have to disagree somewhat, I thought FIFA 08 on PC was awful...it was a PS2 port and a cheap and nasty one at that - unoptimized, buggy (the right analogue stick simply wouldn't work for me and the custom controls refused to stick)....PES2008 for PC was infinitely better than FIFA 08 on PC. Next Gen versions is another story and this year I don't know what to think yet as time will tell. But last year FIFA on PC was just crap, it was half arsed and there was no two ways about it. At least PES operated well unlike FIFA.

Not sure I fully agree with that. Yes, it was optimised badly and yes, it was buggy (the lag in particular), but the controls are what I like. Maybe it's because I'm using a 360 controller, but the right analogue stick is great. I've skinned many a defender with a flick of the right analogue.

Anyway, FIFA 09 on PC is built from the ground up, so hopefully any problems will be ironed out.

I wonder why on earth they kept the same deformed players bodies if they made the game "entirely from scratch for PCs".

The player models and animations are apparently exactly the same as next-gen FIFA 09, are they not? It's only the lighting and some of the textures that are different, apparently.

Not so sure about that, I don't think they have the same animation system. They look a lot like the old animation system with just new animations. Also ball physics and everything that takes "much" cpu power is not in because they have to make sure old PCs can handle the game. This is the reason for the high poly models, they can be scaled down to low poly for bad PCs without any impact on gameplay. This would not be the case if bad PCs had the old ball physics and newer PCs had the new physics.

That trailer is a few days old, but thanks all the same :) Glad to see this thread is not quite dead yet.

Evacuate: I am just reporting what I've read/watched. In one of the early interviews with Paul Hossack he says player models and animations are the same. I gather the only real difference is the 8-directional controls, which would obviously make the movement look more robotic overall, but I think you'll find the players' actual animations are identical.

Ball physics and overall AI I can understand, but both are still better than PES.

I understand what you're saying but I'm still pretty sure the animation system itself is different. In the 360/PS3 version animations blend together more fluid than the PC/PS2 version. This new animation system is used in pretty much all EA Sports "next gen" games and that is what makes them look so realistic in motion.

All the same motion captured animation is probably in the PC version though as he said, but it's not going to look as realistic/fluid as the 360/PS3. You can tell that by the new trailer and from the footage in the old polish interview.

This is what makes it look more robotic as you say. Because both PC and 360/PS3 only have 8-directional, but it's masked pretty well by the animation system in 360/PS3.

Well, I guess that's why then. There's no denying the console versions look a lot smoother.

PC version will tide me over for a good while... I may get a 360 after Xmas. Oh the joys of being short of cash!

Wowlman - you are BIG fanatic of fifa . Look at fifa 09 and pes 09 , and you will see that Konami improved gameplay and speed of gaming . And this year fifa on pc have no chances to be in competition with pes . Graphic of fifa not as good as pes has , and about animation , where you have found ng animation on pc ?

Solar if you're implying that PES has "next gen" animations you've gotta be kidding me. Hopefully I'm just misinterpreting you because PES uses the same system they always used. It looks robotic because it's the same technique that "old gen" FIFA is using too.

And since the PC version of FIFA is supposed to be a new experience you better wait with that statement about PES 09 being much better. I'm not saying the PC version of FIFA will be bad ass, because it will probably not be, but it's kind of lame to say already that it can't compete with PES 09.

Exactly. I have ALWAYS been a massive Pro Evo fan, but I got fed up with PES2008 because they went backwards instead of forwards. Their game engine is tired and Konami have no clue where to go next.

The last Pro Evo game I thoroughly enjoyed all year was PES5. PES6 was good but didn't last long, and PES2008 maybe lasted me a few months. After that I just got too bored of the unrealistic speed, awkward movements, bad teammate AI, and generally arcade-ish feel. I have seen the PES2009 demo and not a lot has changed.

I understand it's an unpopular opinion to have, but I've been playing FIFA 08 on PC and I enjoy it more. It's just a more realistic game of football. I wish it was as good as the next-gen versions, but I'll just have to make do for now.

The big thing that I found offputting about the current gen/PC versions of Fifa was that the ball had nowhere near the freedom and detachment from the player as the next gen version (or indeed PES), if they improve upon that there's really no reason that the PC version of Fifa can't be the best football game on the system, it certainly will beat PES in licenses, audio and manager mode, maybe it'll beat PES in graphics so if the gameplay is freer than previous PC/current gen Fifa's they may well be onto a winner, certainly it'll be the best PC Fifa ever, that's a given.

Roll on the demo so we can find out!

One thing I will say though, judging from the gameplay footage, the graphics are much better on FIFA.

Back
Top Bottom