FIFA 12 slider settings & discussion

I didn't notice much difference between 52 and 51 to be honest but I did back down to 50.

No you can't change sliders on PES. What I'm saying though, is that if you guys are having a couple of good days with sliders and then you need to re-adjust them again..and the game has been out for months now, well it's a bit harsh for people to complain that EA or Konami can't get the balance of gameplay right when they release the game.

If it WAS so easy to come up with something that plays well and stays really good all the time, then you would have settled on it by now.

Well thats them I speak for me. I only done a couple adjustments and have enjoyed the game since then which was just after release.

I am always up for new ideas to try and improve it and though I have edited my sliders quite a few times its mainly for experimenting and perhaps making it even better.

It has always been a 8-9/10 enjoyable game for me....if some adaptations can make it 9-10/10 game then thats even better.

I can keep my sliders as they are and enjoy fifa 12 all year IMO...even online and 2 player which is default sliders.

For me personally what made the game enjoyable for me was

run freq increase
Full back position increase
shot power increase
pass speed increase
reducaiton in cpu marking

I have had all these settings increased for long time and enjoyed the game thoruougly. It made a dull game very playable.

Now and then I been experimenting with other sliders to test the effect. But if I was told I can never change my sliders again I am very happy with the end product.

In fact sometimes I wish i cant change sliders as instead of enjoying the games I sometimes think I wonder what slider I could edit to make it even better.

Anything above 50 for shot speed looks crazy.

p.s. it's ironic that people blast a games (e.g. PES) for not having balanced gameplay out of the box, yet they can spend day after day looking for the ultimate slider settings. Everyone has a different opinion on how they want the game to be so people should cut some slack to game developers I think. They need to make a decision or else no one will ever get a game lol

I can only speak for myself but the fact that you can screw around with the sliders makes me keep messing with them. I have played with more than a dozen sets and if you told me that I had to pick one it wouldn't be a problem. I just like to see how the game is effected by slight changes here and there. Choice of camera and tweaks within that setting can change gameplay even from one stadium to the next.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's a great option to have. But it can be a dual edged sword. Because you can adjust things, people like to, but it can mean you keep second guessing yourself sometimes for the best settings.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's a great option to have. But it can be a dual edged sword. Because you can adjust things, people like to, but it can mean you keep second guessing yourself sometimes for the best settings.

yes its true. I have a great game now I enjoy.

But every now and then I try and modify it/tweak it to improve it.

But I am a perfectionist and never fully happy so its in my nature.

But really I should just stick with what I got and enjoy playing the games and my career mode and stop trying to change the game.

Cause the way I have it I do enjoy it a lot.

PEsold was never a perfect game but we just ignore the flawas and enjoy whats good cause couldnt do shit about it....but now I think we are all in this mentality that FIFA12 is a good game but with right sliders we can make it even better? Maybe now sliders will ever be perfect or better how long must one experiement?

IMO Id say stop playing career. DO exhibtion 20min mathces. And change sliders often, play 5-10 games, do this for 1 week. by then you wouldve exhausted every option and surely foudn what suits you best?

Last edited:
I'm not going to debate PES because that's not what this thread is for, personally I'm thrilled that Fifa has sliders and that fact IMO moves it a lot further beyond PES and previous Fifa to easily the best football sim ever released, especially including the very solid career mode.

^^ So your thoughts on shot speed 51? Its better than 50 overall? Not to many blasters?

Whats the notiecable gampelay effect of very high marking? I set it at 47/48 to make it a bit more loose

Yep I agree now after prolonged testing that 51 works well, as long as you combine it with slightly raised goalkeepers and raised shot error (even if using manual). You see some rockets but from the right players, not from 46OVR CBs

The increased marking is primarily to compensate for the heavily increased amount of turnovers you'll now get because of the CPU's passing inaccuracy, it's not just about them passing direct to you, or straight out of play, because of the increased pass speed now they will often make the pass to their player but if the player in question doesn't have great ball control their first touch will be poor and you easily nip in and get the ball back.

I've played 10-15 matches on these sliders and for me (obviously it's subjective) they play a hard but fair game of football and the chances created, shots, passing etc. etc. remind me a lot of what I see in EPL matches. Some other stuff I really like is that defenders tend to hoof the ball a bit more now, often they will pass back to the keeper too hard and all the keeper can do is slice it into touch or slice it in the air back at their CBs, again this looks really realistic to me.

One thing I especially like about shot power 51 is there's a lot more movement on the ball which on a sweetly hit shot looks great and looks realistic.

Obviously with any set of sliders they should be seen as a base, some people will want a harder game so they can lower the AI pass error/pass speed/shot error, some people will need an easier game so they can play semi/assisted or use this settings base on world class or maybe even professional although I think these sliders on professional might not work because the AI simply won't be able to play a final ball well enough to get shots away.

Here's the sliders in written form as promised!

---------------
Controller Settings
---------------
All Manual controls
Analogue sprint
Tactical defending
---------------
Game Settings
---------------
10 Minute halves
Legendary
Slow
---------------
User/CPU Game Customization
---------------
Sprint Speed - 45/45
Acceleration - 50/48
Shot Error - 55/55
Pass Error - 53/58
Shot Speed – 51/51
Pass Speed - 75/85
Injury Frequency - 98/99
Injury Severity - 50/60
Goalkeeper Ability - 60/60
Positioning:Marking - 85/80
Positioning:Run Frequency - 70/70
Positioning: Line Height - 48/49
Positioning: Line Length - 48/50
Positioning: Line Width - 45/45
Positioning: Fullback Positioning - 70/70
Power Bar - 58

well yeh I just find on 50 marking I never get space to shoot. On 47 I get space to shoot. Any lower than 45 its to easy though you get lottsa time on the ball and gaps to shoot...Youre game must play alot diff than mine. I have Cpu pass speed 55-65? cant recall but same as me? I see a lot off hoofs out for throw ins when u pressure them especially poor teams in defense.

As for career mode some may disagree but I say its almost got the same depth as early Championship manager games + some extra aspects.

So yeh career mode is shithot tbh.

Not shot power, needs leaving on 50, 51 lets anyone score rockets from anywhere, only way 51 can be used is if you set keepers to 80+ which then makes it unrealistic for any other type of shot other than rockets.

They completely messed up the shot speed slider, 51 now should be more like 70-80 or so, I can see need for an increase but based on how the slider actually is we'd need something like 50.25

well i dunno IMO 52 is what u descirbe...52 is like rocekts from any distance and any player go in all time.

I feel 50 is kinda weak....51 I dunno? sometimes I think its to pwoerful also, but sometimes its not that bad.

I think 50 sucks and maybe 51 sucks also...the settings are OTT.

52 is like what one would assume 100 to be!!! They have really messed up this setting.

I say experiment with 50 and 51 but thats it....no need to try any other value.

Really you can settle for slightly weak shots at 50 or perhaps slightly to powerful shots at 51.

HOwever, IMO 51 is simialr to old pes games. In old Pes you could score screamers all angles 30-40 yrds...so its a bit more fun but maybe unrealsitic unless its liek gerrard making the shot!! etc

I have mine on 53 and I still can't score much!

I have full backs at 60 but they still don't make enough run, so i might go for 65-68 hoping they will not go wild and free.I will probably try a bit more of pass speed as well. I really don't like shooting at 51 though, i find realistically enough at 50 with AI keepers slightly less than 50.

still i prefer normal over slow, i like a bit of pace in my games.

But my main issue is: what stats will make the AI shoot more from distance? frmo what i see on legendary they shoot way more, on pro and world class they go for too many cut backs.

custom tactics has a bar which dicitates if the team will shoot from distance ot not...also players with long istance shoot trait will shoot from distance.

I dont know if you can manually change and ave custom tactic for each team?

I have full backs at 60 but they still don't make enough run, so i might go for 65-68 hoping they will not go wild and free.I will probably try a bit more of pass speed as well. I really don't like shooting at 51 though, i find realistically enough at 50 with AI keepers slightly less than 50.

still i prefer normal over slow, i like a bit of pace in my games.

But my main issue is: what stats will make the AI shoot more from distance? frmo what i see on legendary they shoot way more, on pro and world class they go for too many cut backs.

I'm finding that full backs makee runs depending on which player you're using. What I mean is, I keep my full backs at default 50 but there's a huge difference between the attacking tendencies from one to the other. Simpson at Newcastle tends to keep within distance of his CB to keep defensive shape, whereas if Clyne plays at RB and I set up my team to be attacking, he'll constantly bomb forward like a right winger. But he's a full back set out to play this way.

Here's the sliders in written form as promised!

---------------
Controller Settings
---------------
All Manual controls
Analogue sprint
Tactical defending
---------------
Game Settings
---------------
10 Minute halves
Legendary
Slow
---------------
User/CPU Game Customization
---------------
Sprint Speed - 45/45
Acceleration - 50/48
Shot Error - 55/55
Pass Error - 53/58
Shot Speed – 51/51
Pass Speed - 75/85
Injury Frequency - 98/99
Injury Severity - 50/60
Goalkeeper Ability - 60/60
Positioning:Marking - 85/80
Positioning:Run Frequency - 70/70
Positioning: Line Height - 48/49
Positioning: Line Length - 48/50
Positioning: Line Width - 45/45
Positioning: Fullback Positioning - 70/70
Power Bar - 58

Blimey dude when did you make the transition to Legendary and on full manual?! Last time I noticed I think you were playing on semi assistance and on Professional, and you were debating whether to move up to World Class! Your skills must have gone through the roof! :P

I'm still stuck on Professional, that's a big enough challenge for me. Though I have now graduated to a mixture of semi/manual controls at least...

I'm also really tempted to use your sliders out of curiosity. I love my current set up so I'm reticent to change. It sounds really bizarre but in the past I've altered my sliders to experiment, then gone back to my previous settings, and somehow they've not felt the same. Sounds ridiculous, I know ;))

Last edited:
It's these sliders that allow a switch from professional to legendary because these sliders are built around:

1. combating the crazy AI insta dribbles (ie you get a higher acc than them)

2. most importantly reducing their passing ability to more realistic levels, turnovers are 80% of the time through the AI misplacing passes or passing too hard to a player with lesser ball control which makes it bounce off them letting you get the ball easily :)

Thanks for the advice, I've upped passing speed just a tiny bit to 53 for both CPU and me, and upped the pass error by a couple of points, then upped my pass bar to just one more at 51, and already I'm noticing what you said. Pass speed does seem to affect player control, which is brilliant. I can now really notice the difference between players. Gutierrez is still great when he controls the ball but hit a hard bobbly pass to my youth players and it bounces off them. Cool!

I was worried about the speed of passes being too quick but then I sat down and saw some real football and actually realised that after all these years, I've never really noticed just how fast the ball travels even for simple passes.

But I think it's made my game more realistic even further and also seems to have made my ability a bit better. The CPU is struggling a tiny bit more to deal with crisper, faster passing because the previously slower speed of the ball would allow them to cover space and keep their defensive shape a bit more. Same for when they attack too. It makes the CPU rely a little more on passing and moving rather than those mazy dribbles when they chop back and forth on the ball.

After a couple games those sliders seem excellent Placebo, well done.

Sweet :)

Some things feel very different, especially love how much movement the ball has on powerful shots, one thing I'm struggling with now for some reason is scoring from corners with headers, not sure if I'm pressing shoot for too long or not long enough but many of my headers now are going over the bar, it's possible I haven't scored a single headed corner since changing the sliders, weird as I used to score quite a few...

It's these sliders that allow a switch from professional to legendary because these sliders are built around:

1. combating the crazy AI insta dribbles (ie you get a higher acc than them)

2. most importantly reducing their passing ability to more realistic levels, turnovers are 80% of the time through the AI misplacing passes or passing too hard to a player with lesser ball control which makes it bounce off them letting you get the ball easily :)

Totally agree. I play on Legendary to get the CPU playing more football, but it is only possible by handicapping them with an acceleration decrease, which I feel is entirely justified. Through World Class and Legendary the CPU obviously get a stats boost anyway, and so all it is is about balancing the game. Even professional is quite hard if you have the default settings, because the CPU players will simply outreflex and outpace you. This is one area that drives me utterly insane with FIFA, why not just make the levels about skill? Why in Legendary does Crouch become like Messi and Carragher like Pavarotti? Because it's handicapped.

Sweet :)

Some things feel very different, especially love how much movement the ball has on powerful shots, one thing I'm struggling with now for some reason is scoring from corners with headers, not sure if I'm pressing shoot for too long or not long enough but many of my headers now are going over the bar, it's possible I haven't scored a single headed corner since changing the sliders, weird as I used to score quite a few...

I actually scored a couple headers from corners last night with your sliders. I don't think it would be the sliders since neither cross speed or header speed is affected by them. I usually tap shoot about half a second before the ball gets to the man in the box.

Maybe that's it, I toyed with using manual short pass or manual throughball to head it into the net but that didn't help either! Evening of Fifa coming up once I've taken the recycling out and I'm determined to score from a corner!

Totally agree. I play on Legendary to get the CPU playing more football, but it is only possible by handicapping them with an acceleration decrease, which I feel is entirely justified. Through World Class and Legendary the CPU obviously get a stats boost anyway, and so all it is is about balancing the game. Even professional is quite hard if you have the default settings, because the CPU players will simply outreflex and outpace you. This is one area that drives me utterly insane with FIFA, why not just make the levels about skill? Why in Legendary does Crouch become like Messi and Carragher like Pavarotti? Because it's handicapped.

He starts singing, like a legend?

Serioulsy if I go from pro to world calss or legendary will the cpu play better football? any diff between Wc and legendary?

BUt If I reduce there acceleration 2 points below mine it means It will be as hard as me playing on pro or still a lot harder?

I am interested to increase difficulty to make CPU play more varied and interesting football but I sturggle on pro often as it is so I would defo need to handicap them some ways to make it playable. Reducing acceleration by 2 is enough? Or I will still get tanked?

Increased passing speed and increased passing error makes more of a difference but increased acc for you will help, start with +5 in your favour ie something like 52 for you and 47 for them and see how it goes. They definitely play better football on legendary even with the reduced acceleration and passing.

Depending upon your sliders of course I'll tell you what I have found going from WC to Legendary. The odd defensive mistake you can get away with on WC you can bet that on Legendary you will get skinned.

I have found these sliders to be OK. I do switch to others on occasion.

Full Manual
Normal Speed
Legendary

User CPU

Speed 46 46
Acc 50 50
Sht E 27 53
Pas E 40 68
St Sp 51 50
Ps Sp 58 58
GK 50 49
Mark 50 50
Run F 80 80
Ht 30 25
Leng 35 30
Width 30 30
FB 55 65
Power 65

Camera

Tele Broadcast

Height 20
Zoom 15

Handballs

On Except for Penalties

I play 15 minute halves

Rarely do I ever play with or against teams rated overall over 75.

so perhaps its better I go try Wc before I try Legenadary?

And for World class I make the acceleration difference not as much as 5 points? etc....

but the game is more fun/realistic on Wc/legendary as the cpu plays more vareid/interesting football?

so perhaps its better I go try Wc before I try Legenadary?

And for World class I make the acceleration difference not as much as 5 points? etc....

but the game is more fun/realistic on Wc/legendary as the cpu plays more vareid/interesting football?

Try WC first I think. Everyone has different tastes but I like to keep the sliders fairly close between the User and CPU. The only sliders that I give myself much of an advantage with is Shot and Pass Error. Manual shooting is still hard for me esp at close range. CPU Pass Error set at 68 kinda replicates actual pass completion %. If you mix it up and play long balls yourself you'll find that 40 is plenty high enough to get stats somewhat realistic though I find my completion % is in the low mid 80's unless I bomb the ball into the box from all areas of the pitch.

Try WC first you might not want to go up to Legendary. If you have problems with manual shooting to the point it is no fun then push your Shot Error up into the 50's using semi assisted shooting.

Try WC first I think. Everyone has different tastes but I like to keep the sliders fairly close between the User and CPU. The only sliders that I give myself much of an advantage with is Shot and Pass Error. Manual shooting is still hard for me esp at close range. CPU Pass Error set at 68 kinda replicates actual pass completion %. If you mix it up and play long balls yourself you'll find that 40 is plenty high enough to get stats somewhat realistic though I find my completion % is in the low mid 80's unless I bomb the ball into the box from all areas of the pitch.

Try WC first you might not want to go up to Legendary. If you have problems with manual shooting to the point it is no fun then push your Shot Error up into the 50's using semi assisted shooting.

ki do semi though not manual. Only manual for long balls. I may try manual crossing, not sure yet? you think its better?

Also what is your games like with those height, width, line settings, teams defend deeper and there is less space between def-mid-att? the attackers dont go to high up the pitch? they stand deep? and the low width maeans more space on the wings to exploit?

Aslo I was asking really:

What does the cpu do differently in world class compared to pro and legendary compared to world class?

Last edited:
ki do semi though not manual. Only manual for long balls. I may try manual crossing, not sure yet? you think its better?

Also what is your games like with those height, width, line settings, teams defend deeper and there is less space between def-mid-att? the attackers dont go to high up the pitch? they stand deep? and the low width maeans more space on the wings to exploit?

Aslo I was asking really:

What does the cpu do differently in world class compared to pro and legendary compared to world class?

50 Marking leaves enough room in the midfield to breath. They do defend aggresively in their own third. Narrow width keeps you from getting beaten inside much and I give them the same advatage. I just try to ride them into the corner and defend when they attempt the cross into the box.
I kept getting beaten on the counter with Fullbacks over 60. Got tired of that.
I find the CPU is not as pixel perfect on WC as they are on Legendary. You actually get chances to take the ball if you time the tacles correctly. On Legendary I found I could not keep up with the quick turns and dekes at all.
No matter what setting I have played the game on I have found that players who like to shoot from outside the box will do that and teams who try to dribble into the back of the net will still try that. If you give them too much room in your own third they have a tendency to try to walk it all the way in.

50 Marking leaves enough room in the midfield to breath. They do defend aggresively in their own third. Narrow width keeps you from getting beaten inside much and I give them the same advatage. I just try to ride them into the corner and defend when they attempt the cross into the box.
I kept getting beaten on the counter with Fullbacks over 60. Got tired of that.
I find the CPU is not as pixel perfect on WC as they are on Legendary. You actually get chances to take the ball if you time the tacles correctly. On Legendary I found I could not keep up with the quick turns and dekes at all.
No matter what setting I have played the game on I have found that players who like to shoot from outside the box will do that and teams who try to dribble into the back of the net will still try that. If you give them too much room in your own third they have a tendency to try to walk it all the way in.

mmm I was assuming with your sliders that the defense is very cluttered....defenders deep, midfielders defenidin gjust on top off defense....

mmm I was assuming with your sliders that the defense is very cluttered....defenders deep, midfielders defenidin gjust on top off defense....

It's not that tight. Try the defaults for Height Length and Width and see if you like that. You can adjust if ya want. Like I said I can play with dozens of sliders and get a decent game out of any of them. I don't like playing with very extreme settings though.

It's not that tight. Try the defaults for Height Length and Width and see if you like that. You can adjust if ya want. Like I said I can play with dozens of sliders and get a decent game out of any of them. I don't like playing with very extreme settings though.

yeh I have default hieght, lenth, width etc.. I played about with them but deault was fine I thought.

Your sliders are quite extreme 20points of 50 etc...

EG:
Ht 30 25
Leng 35 30
Width 30 30

I think in all honesty I would like the defensive lines a bit deeper maybe default to high up picth but every team has custom tactics that effect this also for cpu...

As for width, perhaps make teams more narrow so there is more space for wingers?

As for length perhaps reduce also so midfeild sits on top of defenders closer?

Im not sure I always chop and change and just go back to default cause Im never sure? lol

Last edited:
yeh I have default hieght, lenth, width etc.. I played about with them but deault was fine I thought.

Your sliders are quite extreme 20points of 50 etc...

EG:
Ht 30 25
Leng 35 30
Width 30 30

I think in all honesty I would like the defensive lines a bit deeper maybe default to high up picth but every team has custom tactics that effect this also for cpu...

As for width, perhaps make teams more narrow so there is more space for wingers?

As for length perhaps reduce also so midfeild sits on top of defenders closer?

Im not sure I always chop and change and just go back to default cause Im never sure? lol

When I said I don't like playing with extreme sliders I meant passing way high or keepers way high. TBH I do not find that much difference between the defaults and my Line Settings. I like it narrow in the back they can play down the wings all they want.

Back
Top Bottom