FIFA 12 slider settings & discussion

When I said I don't like playing with extreme sliders I meant passing way high or keepers way high. TBH I do not find that much difference between the defaults and my Line Settings. I like it narrow in the back they can play down the wings all they want.

oh right I see. well also surely these sliders prevent to many over the top 1v1 goals/chances?

I find the CPU is not as pixel perfect on WC as they are on Legendary. You actually get chances to take the ball if you time the tacles correctly. On Legendary I found I could not keep up with the quick turns and dekes at all.

A tip for defending on Legendary, you need to jockey from a little bit further away than you can get away with on lower difficulty levels. And then only use the tackle button when you get a chance. In real life, attempting a tackle (of the FIFA 12 "stick out the leg variety") is a high risk move if your opponent is in good position to anticipate and take advantage. Luring in defenders to attempt a tackle is pretty much what all dribbling feints are for, and on Legendary, the AI actually dribbles with real life skill.

So the way to defend it is to give a little more space to contain, and then go in for tackles when things are in your favor. Such as when you can use the sideline as extra defender, or you have an actual extra defender, or after a cut back, or when their back is to you... In real life, most turnovers come from intercepting passes, or forcing turnovers off of pressing... not from direct stripping players from dribbling in the open field.

Closer to on topic... I've been tinkering with my own sliders, I've been using a lot of what is posted here as a reference, although I disagree with some people's general belief that the CPU needs to be toned down to have good Legendary sliders. Does anyone know of Legendary sliders that don't lessen the CPU side of things (or give the USER an advantage the CPU doesn't get)? I know that I'm in the minority in believing the CPU doesn't "cheat" on Legendary difficulty, and I'm sure that's why I've yet to see those types of sliders.

Thanks in advance.

A tip for defending on Legendary, you need to jockey from a little bit further away than you can get away with on lower difficulty levels. And then only use the tackle button when you get a chance. In real life, attempting a tackle (of the FIFA 12 "stick out the leg variety") is a high risk move if your opponent is in good position to anticipate and take advantage. Luring in defenders to attempt a tackle is pretty much what all dribbling feints are for, and on Legendary, the AI actually dribbles with real life skill.

So the way to defend it is to give a little more space to contain, and then go in for tackles when things are in your favor. Such as when you can use the sideline as extra defender, or you have an actual extra defender, or after a cut back, or when their back is to you... In real life, most turnovers come from intercepting passes, or forcing turnovers off of pressing... not from direct stripping players from dribbling in the open field.

Closer to on topic... I've been tinkering with my own sliders, I've been using a lot of what is posted here as a reference, although I disagree with some people's general belief that the CPU needs to be toned down to have good Legendary sliders. Does anyone know of Legendary sliders that don't lessen the CPU side of things (or give the USER an advantage the CPU doesn't get)? I know that I'm in the minority in believing the CPU doesn't "cheat" on Legendary difficulty, and I'm sure that's why I've yet to see those types of sliders.

Thanks in advance.

Check out the slider thread over at OS they have a few you might be interested in using.

I rarely tackle never use the contain button just a combo of sprint jockey. TBH this is the first year that I have really spent any meaningful time on a footie game.

Yes because those two teams are really equal aren't they ;)

Second division players for sure are not as skilled as Premier League players but one thing a lesser player can do is press the hell out of you. It is much easier to destroy than create. Second/third level guys who play any sport are not as skilled but they are not necessarily slower.
You fellas have more experience playing and watching football than I do but from what I can see in my limited experience is that teams do not press until the opposition gets into the offensive third. Barca might be the exception to that rule. If I am wrong please correct me as I do not see constant pressure in the midfield not to the extent you can replicate it by a slider setting over 67 for Marking.

OT. Just learning boys so be gentle here. Couldn't find it on a Google search. I see a pitch can be up to 80 meters wide? Or was that yards? Usually around 60 is the norm. What is the widest pitch in the world?

Second division players for sure are not as skilled as Premier League players but one thing a lesser player can do is press the hell out of you. It is much easier to destroy than create. Second/third level guys who play any sport are not as skilled but they are not necessarily slower.
You fellas have more experience playing and watching football than I do but from what I can see in my limited experience is that teams do not press until the opposition gets into the offensive third. Barca might be the exception to that rule. If I am wrong please correct me as I do not see constant pressure in the midfield not to the extent you can replicate it by a slider setting over 67 for Marking.

You are correct. Not many teams outside of Barcelona do press as high up or for as long during a match. Some lowly ranked teams have drawn or beaten Barca because they have been able to press well, despite being nowhere near as skilful as Barca or Real Madrid for example.

So yes, skill level and work rate are two different things. If a team plays a zonal marking system, they will generally try to keep their shape and only press around the 18 yard box. Of course, players still try to win the ball in midfield, but they won't necessarily harry a player over the pitch at the expense of being pulled way out of shape.

I don't know if it's a slider issue but does anyone else notice how easy it is to get behind defences down the wings? Just push the right stick to knock the ball into space and sprint. From the halfway line I seem to be able to get a run down the wing and cut in on goal. Something's not right here.

I don't know if it's a slider issue but does anyone else notice how easy it is to get behind defences down the wings? Just push the right stick to knock the ball into space and sprint. From the halfway line I seem to be able to get a run down the wing and cut in on goal. Something's not right here.

Do you have fast wingers? and what level do you play on? on Professional the players tend to stand off alot more and let you run.

I play on world class and it depends on what winger etc

Sounds like a difficulty level thing, LTFC, as previously suggested.

I think the only way it would be a slider issue is if you had set Sprint Speed higher than Acceleration, because that would presumably tip the balance in favour of the player who is already moving at a full sprint.

Thanks guys I'll try moving up to World Class then. What tends to happen is I come up against a full back, right stick to knock the ball past him, my winger zooms past him and the defender kind of lazily jogs for a while before sprinting, by which time I now have acres of space to run into.

@Nerf, yeah I actually experimented with doing the opposite of what you said, in an attempt to make players accelerate a bit quicker and almost cause a 'catch up' scenario by having faster acceleration sliders than top speed, but that didn't really work and I went back to speed/acceleration being at 47 for both teams.

Hopefully World Class might sort it though.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I'll try moving up to World Class then. What tends to happen is I come up against a full back, right stick to knock the ball past him, my winger zooms past him and the defender kind of lazily jogs for a while before sprinting, by which time I now have acres of space to run into.

@Nerf, yeah I actually experimented with doing the opposite of what you said, in an attempt to make players accelerate a bit quicker and almost cause a 'catch up' scenario by having faster acceleration sliders than top speed, but that didn't really work and I went back to speed/acceleration being at 47 for both teams.

Hopefully World Class might sort it though.

Stringer has CPU Width set at 60 for that reason but it might be down to level of difficulty.

I acknowledge that I abuse knock ahead way too much so give the CPU +2 in speed and I have +3 in accel to make up for their dribbling abuse :)

Surey that means u can knock on and pull away from cpu even quicker...though once they get full speed they catch up easier?

that happens in professional. move to world class.

i actually changed back the sliders to deafault with the exception of passing speed and players runs. the rest is fine as it is once u master the game.

I think that was spot on, thanks. Just moved up to World Class in my CM and played a home FA Cup 3rd round replay against Wolves on the harder difficulty, and while I could still occasionally beat the full back with the knock on stick, it was much, much harder to outpace them. The defender is more skilled at blocking the space between you and the ball after you've knocked it ahead.

WC is a tough difficulty but initial reactions are very good. I thought it would be full of AI overpowered challenges etc but so far I'm not finding that at all. What I've noticed the game does do on WC is tighten up it's own marking, meaning those midfield battles on my sliders feel much more realistic than before :)

I can't explain it but on WC difficulty, I found that players on both sides seem more likely to misplace passes, maybe due to the extra pressure. I had a lot of mis-controls of the ball, wayward passes, and it felt more organic than on Professional. Players somehow feel a little bit 'weightier' and restricted by their physical ability, though I'm not sure why this was. Maybe it's a placebo effect or something.

Last edited:
Push it twice? That's still two separate knock on's though isn't it?

For 1 single knock on, I think you can control it with how hard you push the right stick. A lighter smaller touch will not go as far as a full on whack on the right stick.

Back
Top Bottom