Fifa 14 Career Mode discussions

Thankfully I've yet to have a single player retire early, but what I do have is real problems maintaining a squad big enough to deal with all the competitions I'm in while keeping my players from demanding more playing time.

At the end of November in my current season, for example, I've got three players demanding to be sold in the next transfer window even though two of them have played in more than half the matches.

Yeah, these three are elite level players but how are you suppose to maintain a big enough squad, in which you basically need a minimum of two starting quality players at each position to compete in all the competitions?

Placebo, are you using the GTN for all your scouting and transfer needs, or are you doing something else, like using online databases?

Mostly GTN but some manual searching, especially when looking for very good players who're about to be signable on bosmans as unfortunately there seems to be issues with "first team quality", scouts aren't telling me about the top tier of player even though I can afford their wages, so far I've found Hazard, Ballotelli, Smalling and a fair few others available for next season yet my scouts all looked in those leagues for "0-1 year contract, 22-26 age, first team quality" and didn't "find" those players. Once a year I manually search through all players 22-26 for all of the bigger teams in each league. Not really bothering with online databases these days, I used the takeover option to have enough money for 6x5 scouts.

Last edited:
This has been generally great so far. I'm twelve games into the season with Spurs, with zero wins and just three points. I'm second from bottom in the league. I'm awful at this but enjoying the presentation and scouting in particular.

Two things about the mode that really bother me though are that I now have four players all with broken ankles. Strange. The second, is that despite doing appallingly so far I've just been offered the job of coaching Belgium.

Really?!

I've started with Bradford City in 3rd division as I like their striker partnership between the BIG and tall James Hanson and the speedy shorter Nahki Wells.

One is a speedster while the other is basically a target man whose strong and good in the air.

Gotten rid of deadwood and brought in the Czech keeper from Yeowil Town as my only real signing. Although I did get Chris Humphrey from Preston as well, he's a shit player but a speedster and I could use his versatility and pace as a substitute.

Right well I started at Spurs and immediately set my scouts on England, France and Brazil. I sorted out all player contracts that were due to expire at the end of the season, so no-one's running down their contract. I set the game to disable transfers in the first summer window, so no changes have occurred and I can get on with playing and scouting.

First up, came a 3-0 loss to Crystal Palace, which immediately put me under pressure. I followed this up with a draw at home to West Brom and an undeserved 1-0 loss at home to Norwich.

Next up came a series of poor defeats leaving me bottom of the Premier League after seven games, including defeat away at Arsenal. There have been some shoots of recovery since though, three clean sheets in four games saw me draw three and lose one, that being a narrow home defeat to Chelsea, but I've been making steady progress in the League Cup including a hard fought 2-0 win at York with two late goals. I'm now up to second from bottom, and a great 1-0 win away at West Ham, to hand me a tie with Villa in the League Cup quarter finals, gives me a tiny bit of hope that I can recover the season. Adebayor scored the winning goal in the first half, somewhat comically heading against the crossbar, with the ball dropping down and hitting him on the top of the shoulder while he lay face down on the ground, and rolled in from a yard out.

If I can get some form going and make it to the transfer window without being fired, I plan on making big changes to the squad. I'm still confused as to why I've been offered the jobs managing either Denmark, Belgium or Australia despite starting my managerial career incredibly poorly, maybe it's because I'm at Spurs rather than a lower league team. Anyways, I turned them all down as it's just a bit silly to accept an international job straight away when I haven't even won a league game yet.

Last edited:
I'm still confused as to why I've been offered the jobs managing either Denmark, Belgium or Australia despite starting my managerial career incredibly poorly, maybe it's because I'm at Spurs rather than a lower league team. Anyways, I turned them all down as it's just a bit silly to accept an international job straight away when I haven't even won a league game yet.

Because it's relatively new to Fifa and they want everyone to be able to do it if they want, plus if it took 5+ years before you get offered an International management job everyone would be complaining :)

Because it's relatively new to Fifa and they want everyone to be able to do it if they want, plus if it took 5+ years before you get offered an International management job everyone would be complaining :)

Yeah but maybe do it after a season or two, or at least if you've won a single game as a manager! :)

I wish there was somewhere to bet on the methods CPU teams use when in a cup match in Career Mode. Millions of pounds would await me. I lose matches & concede goals in some incredibly boring ways.

Dominate a match, hit the woodwork 4 or more times, they score with their first effort late on - a run from their holding midfielder through a collection of tackles from my players, before passing where my defender can reach, but will not do anything regardless of my input. Then either one shot and goal, or one shot, rebounds off woodwork or keeper and then an easy tap-in for an already on-rushing CPU team-mate.

Maybe the 20 saves made by their keeper in a 30+ shot onslaught where I still scored 4 goals, only to see them score with every attempt on goal to force a draw / extra time.

Or perhaps the amazing penalty out of nothing scenario whenever I'm leading a cup tie (only in the first half)? I can guarantee one of these three occurances every time I play a cup match. Don't experience it all in league matches.

Last edited:
Haha I had one match where I hit the post, it rebounded onto the crossbar, across the goalmouth, hit the other post, then fell to the one AI defender in the vicinity. I then hit the post again later on, their keeper made a string of saves, and the COM goes up the other end and wins a penalty because a non-controllable player ran into an opponent off the ball and nudged him.

I hear what you're saying for sure!

Is there not a sneaky way to reset the Catalogue? Ive used up all my future stars and Financial takeovers and Im ages away from the next one.

Is there not a sneaky way to reset the Catalogue? Ive used up all my future stars and Financial takeovers and Im ages away from the next one.

I think it's connected to your profile, so you'd either need to delete that or create another one.

I was curious what happens when a friend gifts you something like that you've already used? If nothing else it's a good way to get stuff for half the price if you just arrange it with a friend :)

adidas® micoach Training – Complete adidas micoach training sessions to boost in-game attributes for individual players on your team. Choose from six different attribute boosts and 18 different drills to improve your players’ performance during the tournament.

This is one of the features for the world cup game. Wonder if there's any chance this makes its way into CM next year as a form of player training?

I was curious what happens when a friend gifts you something like that you've already used? If nothing else it's a good way to get stuff for half the price if you just arrange it with a friend :)

You can only receive gifts when you haven't unlocked or used that product before. I already tried and all I could receive was a scout future star which I haven't unlocked yet.

Hi lads, can anyone help me, I just completed my first season in manager career mode, I'm looking to move club, I have twice been offered the job by the other club after applying for it, But no matter what i do it wont give me an option to move club or accept job, Just move's on and say's deal collapsed as i did not get back to them.....:MAD:

Hi guys !
After months of playing NBA 2K14 i decided to start a new career with the PSG and i would like to know how i can play a good possession play with them ?
any advices ? custom tactics ?
i win every game so far ( 5 in a row) but i cant past the 55% of possession.
thanks

help needed!
my career became corrupted. is there a way to fix ur career when it says it's corrupted? after installing the latest moddingway mod, i keep getting that error. i really dont wanna start all over again. fifa 14 ultimate edition for pc

Anyone had a glitch where your wages randomly change to like £2,000,000 pounds, but if you try to adjust the transfer-wage balance, it changes everything to £0? I tried to just take advatange of it by cheesing it and signing the likes of Gündoğan, Chiellini & Pique on pre contracts (lol don't judge me, I'm playing on Legendary with default sliders, it's brutal) but after signing a couple of players on pre's, my game just crashes (PS4). I've suffered some frustration grinding through Legendary difficulty on this save file, I really hope I don't have to start anew.

EDIT: Actually it's glitched to over £2,000,000,000 in wages! :CONFUSE:

Last edited:
Yeah money balance glitch is a known but they don't care to fix, only solution is to load a previous saved game, sometimes you'll have a few transfers agreed and one will randomly mess up the balance so you need to reload and try them in a different order or one at a time etc.

I haven't seen it yet myself but yeah I've seen complaints from people about stuff like matches with only one day in between (I think it's only really if you're an international manager and in all cups inc Europe).

I am noticing the issue when there are cup replays. I once had a replay scheduled for the day after another match. I actually just now discovered I have a cup replay scheduled for the same day as another match. The icon for the cup replay doesn't show up on the calendar at all.

Cup replays make for scheduling issues, but it's clear EA did not bother to even try to sort it for the game.

Strangely I had one season where I won the FA Cup and three of my fixtures went to replays but were scheduled perfectly, sure there were a couple of occasions where I played two matches in three days but that I could live with :)

Yeah money balance glitch is a known but they don't care to fix, only solution is to load a previous saved game, sometimes you'll have a few transfers agreed and one will randomly mess up the balance so you need to reload and try them in a different order or one at a time etc.

Does the aforementioned 'wage bug' only happen when signing players to pre-contracts?

Because if not signing any players on Bosman will prevent this bug, I'll steer clear.

No I had it with Benteke and he wasn't a bosman, I was signing 4-5 players on deadline day and for some reason Benteke was causing the problem when I accepted his transfer first, so just reloaded and did his last. As should have been a lesson learned from many fifas again, keep multiple saves and save often, I have 4 manual saves on rotation these days.

One way to avoid the financial bug - I think - is to only negotiate one transfer at a time. It's when you've got multiple things going on that the bug happens.

Or just go about business as usual and do what Placebo recommends and keep regular saves, especially during the transfer window.

I do normally keep about 4 files on the go as well (I don't take well to constant ACL injuries lol), the one time I only use two files, I get caught out. Ohh well.

I just finished my season and the game seems to have fixed the problem, although I previously had £25,000,000 legitimately earned through competition rewards, and my board decided to give me £6,000,000 transfer budget and £30,000 wages for the next season! (After winning the league, getting to the CL semis and getting to the Coppa Italia finals, with lenient financial settings :/) I'm not sure whether that has to do with my pre-contract signings (A.Ayew, Gündoğan, Giovinco & E.Garay), maybe the wage bill is absurdly high so they didn't give me much of a transfer budget. I tried reloading up to June 29th and starting the season over and over again but at most they gave me £9,000,000. It's better then a glitch I guess.

Back
Top Bottom