FIFA 14 OT, Next Gen, PC Love, Fanboys, Star Wars, Hand Sanitizers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FIFA 14

Listen and listen good, if it don't have real time dirt on kits and pitch getting marked up in tackles then i'm not buying it end of!

Wonder if FIFA 14 will have the exact same gameplay on PS3 and PS4 this year just with super graphics on one.

Looks like PES will be like this for 2014, same game just one has super graphics.

There ought to be a substantial difference, what with the Ignite Engine: 1) Improved AI; 2) Improved player movement physics; 3) Improved atmosphere. Plus the obvious graphics upgrade, and anything else we might not know about yet.

Depending on just how much an upgrade the Ignite Engine is over what we've got, they could be two very different games.

I'm most excited about (more) realistic player movement and, for what it's worth, I've been told by someone who has seen the game that my excitement is warranted. Now I just want to know if there's any differences with CM. Doubt it but you never know...

Last edited:

so fifa 14 is going to be designed for next gen ps4 this year?

Not exactly sure what you mean, or if you're just really behind on news, but FIFA 14 will be out for both current and next gen consoles, but next gen consoles will have a new engine.

So I guess you could say FIFA 14 is being designed for both.

As i said before. By releasing it only on NG consoles, the sale of the pc version will nose dive and then EA will receive a valid reason not to bother at all.

Sad state of affairs as NG fifa would have sold tons on the pc platform. more then before for obvious reasons

This is getting really old and I'm not sure why you guys keep arguing against what ought to be pretty obvious: if FIFA 14 would sell "tons" on the PC, it'd be coming out for the PC. Simple as that.

You honestly think EA - money-grubbing, fan exploiting, "worst company in America" - wouldn't capitalize on a market if they thought they could sell "tons?"

It's not coming out for PC because the PC market isn't that important to FIFA, which is backed-up by the sales numbers. You guys are imagining some huge demand for FIFA on the PC that simply doesn't exist.

Yeah, PC sales for FIFA 14 might take a hit, but just like FIFA 14 for the current consoles, people are still going to buy it. And since PC sales are already minor relative to console sales, whatever "nosedive" you think will happen will be insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

This is getting really old and I'm not sure why you guys keep arguing against what ought to be pretty obvious: if FIFA 14 would sell "tons" on the PC, it'd be coming out for the PC. Simple as that.

You honestly think EA - money-grubbing, fan exploiting, "worst company in America" - wouldn't capitalize on a market if they thought they could sell "tons?"

It's not coming out for PC because the PC market isn't that important to FIFA, which is backed-up by the sales numbers. You guys are imagining some huge demand for FIFA on the PC that simply doesn't exist.

Yeah, PC sales for FIFA 14 might take a hit, but just like FIFA 14 for the current consoles, people are still going to buy it. And since PC sales are already minor relative to console sales, whatever "nosedive" you think will happen will be insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
It's strange that pretty much every video games publisher in existence manages to release identical games on different platforms without going bankrupt, but when it comes to FIFA, one of the biggest video game franchises of all time, EA has to cut expenses. If the PC version of FIFA was insignificant, they could just stop producing it altogether.

I think FIFA 14 on PC doesn't use the Ignite engine yet because the PS3 / Xbox 360 versions would look inferior in comparison and the next-gen consoles only follow several months later.

It's strange that pretty much every video games publisher in existence manages to release identical games on different platforms without going bankrupt, but when it comes to FIFA, one of the biggest video game franchises of all time, EA has to cut expenses. If the PC version of FIFA was insignificant, they could just stop producing it altogether.

I think FIFA 14 on PC doesn't use the Ignite engine yet because the PS3 / Xbox 360 versions would look inferior in comparison and the next-gen consoles only follow several months later.

Not really. Some of the biggest games have been exclusives (at least upon initial release), either for one console or another, or PC over console, etc.

Consoles have had Halo, Mass Effect, Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, Infamous, Metal Gear, Gears of War, Fable, Demon's Souls.

PCs have had theirs too: Diablo, Witcher 1, Crysis 1, most strategy and MMOs. And Crysis was an EA game, made for the PC, so it's not like there's some EA conspiracy going on against PC gamers.

And if EA cared so much about making the PS3/360 versions look inferior compared to the PC version, then they could just release the PC version later with the NG consoles.

lol at all those who think pc could noth handle the new engine. I have a 4 years old pc with 5 years old graphic card and it can run rven the most demanding games at 1920x1200 4xaa 4xaf. I have to limit fps for fifa13 at 60 to avoid problems. Fifa 14 engine is just a little graphical upgrade from 13 (with a fancy marketing name Ignite).
Reason that it will be ps4/xbox1 exclusive is that microsoft snd sony paid the exclusive right to push sales of new consoles.
It is not a new thing; until recently there was a war between ati and nvidia and one of them always paid to get a better optimised version of newest games (works best on nvidia etc. )

Anyway, am I the only one who is worried about the new scouting method in cm in 14? I hope they keep the search with attributes option.

I was thinking that they want to cater for those with less powerful PCs as well, especially since the main markets for FIFA (North america and europe) are broke

No-one is saying that the PC couldn't handle the engine, that's not the point. It's a question of whether enough PC gamers have PCs that are good enough.

Not exactly sure what you mean, or if you're just really behind on news, but FIFA 14 will be out for both current and next gen consoles, but next gen consoles will have a new engine.

So I guess you could say FIFA 14 is being designed for both.

you answered it, thanks

That may be true, but there is an element of the self-fulfilling prophecy about this i.e. don't put any effort into the PC version and then blame poor sales as the reason for future lack of effort.

No-one is saying that the PC couldn't handle the engine, that's not the point. It's a question of whether enough PC gamers have PCs that are good enough.

Yes, I think the user-base is plenty big enough. Sports games are generally not that demanding. Even with a new, more powerful engine, mid-range PC's will handle it in their sleep.

A good example as a counter-point is Battlefield 3 - one of the most demanding games on the PC. It has been a commercial success on the PC despite the considerable hardware demands it poses.

Yes, I think the user-base is plenty big enough. Sports games are generally not that demanding. Even with a new, more powerful engine, mid-range PC's will handle it in their sleep.

A good example as a counter-point is Battlefield 3 - one of the most demanding games on the PC. It has been a commercial success on the PC despite the considerable hardware demands it poses.

but then, Battlefield is a shooter, and a hugely popular PC franchise, as it has been since the franchise's inception. Sports gaming on the PC is nowhere near so popular.

You guys keep getting hung up on hardware considerations but that's not a helpful way to look at things. Just because PC's can handle the game does not necessarily mean there's large demand for it.

It's a bit like strategy games on consoles: consoles could handle them but the demand just isn't there to make it worth releasing them. Strategy games are not a natural fit for the console audience; sports games are not a natural fit for the PC audience. It's got nothing to do with the hardware.

Battlefield is not a good counter-point - first-person shooters do well on the PC, Battlefield sells very well on the PC; FIFA does not.

Last edited:

In any case, we shouldn't be writing off current-gen FIFA 14 necessarily. There is still plenty we don't know about it. Who is to really say that the next gen version will be that much better, even. Remember how bare bones the first FIFA games on the 360 were?

This really is the big question now, isn't it?

The fact that they've been working on the next gen version for so long, are making significant upgrades to core areas of gameplay (AI and player movement), and that they're way ahead of schedule to show the game at E3 are signs for optimism, but we'll see...

I assume EA isn't releasing an Ignite powered FIFA 14 because they believe the minimum system requirements would price out enough of their user base that they would lose out on significant sales. I don't think EA is trying to slight their PC users in the slightest.

And frankly, who knows if the ignite engine is actually going to improve the footy experience?... heck, it may make the gameplay worse. PC users may be getting the best edition, who knows?

I think that pretty much closes the argument, along with EA just not being bothered enough to provide enough support to optimize the game on PC. Previous FIFA's on PC have had severe crashing issues along with bad optimization with certain video cards and processors.

I said before, CEO's are the most important people, if the big cheese's at Microsoft and at Sony do not want their cash generating babies in consoles to be shown up on PC they will get their wish.

Why bother to buy a PS4/xbox one when you can just upgrade your PC to play the same game anyway?

My 5 year old PC with a slight ram upgrade could handle PS4 games, most PC's would, it's just not worth it for EA since they don't really care too much about the game on PC in the first place.

I assume EA isn't releasing an Ignite powered FIFA 14 because they believe the minimum system requirements would price out enough of their user base that they would lose out on significant sales. I don't think EA is trying to slight their PC users in the slightest.

And frankly, who knows if the ignite engine is actually going to improve the footy experience?... heck, it may make the gameplay worse. PC users may be getting the best edition, who knows?
Agreed. I also think that it's very likely the will do something similar to what Konami did with PES 6. New gen only for PS3 and 360, but then PES 2008 had new gen for PC as well.

I think that pretty much closes the argument, along with EA just not being bothered enough to provide enough support to optimize the game on PC. Previous FIFA's on PC have had severe crashing issues along with bad optimization with certain video cards and processors.

I said before, CEO's are the most important people, if the big cheese's at Microsoft and at Sony do not want their cash generating babies in consoles to be shown up on PC they will get their wish.

Why bother to buy a PS4/xbox one when you can just upgrade your PC to play the same game anyway?

My 5 year old PC with a slight ram upgrade could handle PS4 games, most PC's would, it's just not worth it for EA since they don't really care too much about the game on PC in the first place.

Seriously? Nobody makes business decisions using this type of logic. If game companies were afraid of showing up the consoles, then PC versions of AAA games would never get made.

This really is the big question now, isn't it?

The fact that they've been working on the next gen version for so long, are making significant upgrades to core areas of gameplay (AI and player movement), and that they're way ahead of schedule to show the game at E3 are signs for optimism, but we'll see...

I think to an extent, the first game is more about novelty than outright quality. FIFA 07 on the 360 was (imo) the lesser game to FIFA 07 on the PS2 (/PES, of course), but playing something which seems so 'new' has its own benefits.

Not playing within the FIFA 09-FIFA 13 paradigm will be a huge relief, I'd imagine.

Maybe EatonTJ is correct and the decision to not release the Ignite Engine on PC comes down to the hardware requirements. Obviously I don't know for sure, maybe, but I doubt it. I'm not so sure the Ignite Engine is going to be so far advanced that the minimum requirements would price out that many PC gamers.

If I had to guess, EA probably made a decision simply to devote all their resources to nailing the console version first before worrying about the PC, basically the same that Blizzard has done with Diablo 3 but in reverse.

Blizzard chose to devote all its resources on putting out the best game for its core fanbase and market, thinking that once it was released they'd then worry about releasing a console version, which is coming out for the PS3 this year. It was a sound and rather obvious strategy; no conspiracy theories.

When EA created a dedicated group about 2 years ago to making an engine for its next gen sports games - remember, the Ignite Engine will be powering several games and none of the others have a PC version at all - they probably made the strategic decision to focus all their efforts on their core market, the consoles.

Just like Blizzard with Diabolo 3, rather than sacrificing resources to create a version for a different platform, they thought lets focus all we've got on our core fanbase, let's nail the next gen transition, then worry about other versions later. My guess is it was probably as simple as that.

I think there's only so much you can read in to how things were done 7 or 8 years ago. I agree the first will probably be the least polished, but I'd expect things to be a lot less drastic than last time around - I wouldn't expect any 2/10 scores.

I think to an extent, the first game is more about novelty than outright quality. FIFA 07 on the 360 was (imo) the lesser game to FIFA 07 on the PS2 (/PES, of course), but playing something which seems so 'new' has its own benefits.

Not playing within the FIFA 09-FIFA 13 paradigm will be a huge relief, I'd imagine.

I don't think you're wrong but it does seem like EA are putting a lot more work into this transition than last. I think EA Sports and the FIFA dev group have come a long way from where they were back then.

FIFA 07 on this gen wasn't as good as it was on the old gen, I think you're right about that, but it sounds like EA are trying hard to do it different this time.

Maybe I'm falling for the hype, maybe I'm caught up with the promises of realistic player movement physics, I don't know. Alls I know is that right now I'm more excited for FIFA than I have been since around FIFA 09.

Maybe FIFA 14 current gen will be the better version but I at least feel rather encouraged by the direction EA have taken for the future, by making AI and player movement physics the first core gameplay upgrades.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom