FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Does bad team now have 95% passing completion full of safe passes?

In the games I played yes..
During a L2 game, Cambridge didn't play as extreme tika-taka as Barcelona, but the passing was still incredibly accurate.
The lower league teams just don't have the players capable of smacking the ball into the top corner from 20 yards.

I played a few games last night and I've got to say, it was harder, and more enjoyable. But I was playing as a Championship team, which makes a difference (less insta-tiki-taka) and I was playing on "slow" (can't bear "normal") with the AI given a speed/acceleration boost to help the defending glitch that exists on "slow".

I'm still doing the same things over and over, and defending is still a joke. You can be intelligent enough to know where play is going to end up and position your defenders for that - which should be rewarded - and still get nowhere near the ball, because you're crab-walking around trying to get into the exact pixel-perfect place while fighting the invisible wall that surrounds attacking players.

So it's better, but still generally terrible. This year's "meta" (vomit) is 1v1s and braindead defenders, that's just how it is.

I played a few games last night and I've got to say, it was harder, and more enjoyable. But I was playing as a Championship team, which makes a difference (less insta-tiki-taka) and I was playing on "slow" (can't bear "normal") with the AI given a speed/acceleration boost to help the defending glitch that exists on "slow".

I'm still doing the same things over and over, and defending is still a joke. You can be intelligent enough to know where play is going to end up and position your defenders for that - which should be rewarded - and still get nowhere near the ball, because you're crab-walking around trying to get into the exact pixel-perfect place while fighting the invisible wall that surrounds attacking players.

So it's better, but still generally terrible. This year's "meta" (vomit) is 1v1s and braindead defenders, that's just how it is.
Hey Chris,

I think I’ve just figured out what’s wrong with the defending, maybe. I hadn’t realized but I had a setting on that had jockey assist. Switched it to Manual and when holding L2, I don’t get the crazy Star Wars force field defending. It was like I was fighting the game to keep my defender in place, which seems to have gone now. Online though. Gonna try Manual player change too.

This year's "meta" (vomit) is 1v1s and braindead defenders, that's just how it is.

I have no clue what's going on with this game *online*, but while 1v1s almost completely ruin the game, I don't think it's meta. My impression is that 1v1s were supposed to work but they don't. This game is fucked and I'm sure EA can't balance anything at this point while 99% of fut people have also completely lost the plot by now, as they can't see the bigger picture and react like 5 year olds to what they are experiencing with their feedback.

Twitter is filled with comments like:

"2 years in a row, defending has been OP and attacking is just so boring. When will they learn? If they want to keep ppl interested, attacking has to be the OP part".

"If they don’t patch gameplay soon fifa is finished. AI marking way too good vs attacking intelligence".

Last edited:
I can't seem to be able to get the hang of this new dribbling thingie (strafe-dribbling?).

Any tips for me fellas?.

Bloody hell FIFA is actually challenging again in single player!

just got beat 3-0 by Burnley (I was Southampton).

Enjoying Career Mode again, it’s been too long.

Bloody hell FIFA is actually challenging again in single player!

just got beat 3-0 by Burnley (I was Southampton).

Enjoying Career Mode again, it’s been too long.
Which difficulty and controller settings? :). I’m searching for the right modus.

Which difficulty and controller settings? :). I’m searching for the right modus.
Default assists, Ultimate difficulty.

bear in mind I’ve just started a career save. When the morale kicks in, it might become an easy game again.

we’ll see - Liverpool at home next, will be a good barometer to see how things have changed.

I really struggled pre season as well, in the past I would demolish every team and always win the Euro Shield or whatever it’s called. I lost every game this time. Fingers crossed this stays harder.

saying all that, there’s already posts popping up on Fifa careers sub Reddit saying it’s still too easy. So who knows!

Default assists, Ultimate difficulty.

bear in mind I’ve just started a career save. When the morale kicks in, it might become an easy game again.

we’ll see - Liverpool at home next, will be a good barometer to see how things have changed.

I really struggled pre season as well, in the past I would demolish every team and always win the Euro Shield or whatever it’s called. I lost every game this time. Fingers crossed this stays harder.

saying all that, there’s already posts popping up on Fifa careers sub Reddit saying it’s still too easy. So who knows!
Thx! And do you receive fouls? When I play the first edition (ea acces) I received a lot of freekicks and even penals and a red card. After the updates. I received one penal on worldclass. And almost no fouls on legendary.

Thx! And do you receive fouls? When I play the first edition (ea acces) I received a lot of freekicks and even penals and a red card. After the updates. I received one penal on worldclass. And almost no fouls on legendary.
No, hardly any fouls. Getting one per game on average, it sucks.

New tests with differents sliders and speed

Union Berlin - Dortmund // // Legend // Slow Speed

Sliders : User / AI
35/35
50/52
50/55
50/56
45/45
35/35
56/56
53/53
50/50
57/50
45/55
60/60
48/48
51/51
40/40
55/54

Dortmund // Bayer 04 // // Legend // Slow speed

Sliders with more errors on passes and shots

35/35
50/52
55/55
55/56
45/45
35/35
56/56
53/53
50/50
57/50
45/55
60/60
48/48
51/51
40/40
55/54

Dortmund - FC Barcelona // Champion's League // Legend// Normal speed
https://youtu.be/EkW_K9Kl698

Eintrat Frankfurt - Dortmund //Legend// Normal speed
https://youtu.be/CvRNadRFLB4
https://youtu.be/cpWNqzjqomI

Dortmund - Brême // Legend// Normal speed
https://youtu.be/IFRZl5DBhO4
https://youtu.be/myUAXJJE5LY

Slava de Pragues - Dortmund //Champion's League //Legend// Normal speed
https://youtu.be/ycypxXy1tgM
https://youtu.be/RkxIkr-2o3A

Enjoyed the start of the PL with Leicester City on Legendary. Lost 3-4 against Wolves (I came back from 0-4 tot 3-4). Second game win against Chelsea away 0-1. Chelsea got a red card in the 30th minute. They were dominant, but I was parking the bus. The win felt really great. Never had this feeling on FIFA 19. So far so good.

I know the game wasn’t great offline but they’ve ruined online co op again after the first patch. Same for the last 3 years. I wouldn’t get it if it wasn’t for game share. Both games aren’t up to standard.
Now it slow turning defenders and fast attackers all over again. No football, passing or angles, Just running around, like controlling buses with ice skates on and fighting the game to have some sort of control. Honestly really p’d off with it. Back to pro offline for awhile and maybe next year, I won’t waste my money.

So. Tackling is just not included in the game any more, right? The only way you can win the ball is to hold L2 and run into a man to get the ball off them, correct?

What a fucking joke this game is, seriously.

So. Tackling is just not included in the game any more, right? The only way you can win the ball is to hold L2 and run into a man to get the ball off them, correct?

Yep, basically.

I’m also done with this. I actually hate both of the football games this year. Same as last year.

FIFA is definitely harder since the update but the game is still absolutely all over the place. Defending is horrible, worse than ever.

To me it feels like they’ve sped it up since the update too. Online is just not enjoyable now, every game is kids spamming tricks and offline is just...meh.

I don’t know, I just can’t enjoy the football games anymore, they’ve finally lost me as a consumer. It’s the same BS year in, year out from both companies.

Back to PES 2013 on the PS3 for me.

Gave my CM a go again (still EA Access) and i cant believe how shitty this is after playing almost 2 seasons on 17 the past 3 weeks.
Not sure I'd have noticed the difference if I hadn't played 17 so much before a few games on 20.
Awful game (offline) truly awful and no where close to being football

It’s better but not by much, I had a defender sent off after 3 mins, put my cm into cb and beat Man City 1-0 quite easily, they still haven’t figured out how to make the best teams hard to play against

I use tackle to take the ball all the time. It gives you the extra distance which L2 does not provide, and covers more ground to make the intercept more likely.

This is probably more of an AI behaviour thing than a tackle thing.

Tackling? I'm not having issues..I don't think...isn't it just pressing/tapping "square"? (Tactical)

Also, absolutely enjoying the game right now on Legendary, Normal - but others are also using WC. OS sliders are updated, and some default values are really playing nicely. Have learned that adjusting the HLW is super sensitive this year. Adjusting error values is a good way to go without modifying the HLW too much, if at all. Seeing miscommunication passes, poor passes, etc. It is very nice.

FIFA 20 Operation Sports Sliders ||| DEFAULT SET

World Class/Legendary/Ultimate, 10 -15 minutes, Normal speed
Controls: Manual/Semi/Assisted, Handball On (including PKs)

Sprint - 50/50
►No adjustments necessary yet.

Accel - 50/50

Shot Error - 58/62
►CPU just doesn't miss the way the user can. 80% shot accuracy is too high.

Pass Error - 58/60
►Good mix of passes and miscommunication type of passes. Have played with this value a lot but also used paired with various HLW. It wasn't until using default HLW that those type of miscommunication passes show up. A good sign.

Shot Speed - 50/50

Pass Speed - 50/50

Injury Freq - 75/75
►Still Testing.

Injury Sev - 25/25
►Still Testing.

GK Ability - 50/50

Marking - 50/50

Run Freq - 0/0
►Lowers the run amounts, but runs happen in a linear fashion no matter what values you choose. This a value I am still looking at because I want to see run variety versus, hold up, and run off the ball to pass.

Height - 50/50

Length - 50/50

Width - 50/50

FB Pos - 50/50

FT Control - 50/50

Also, absolutely enjoying the game right now on Legendary, Normal - but others are also using WC. OS sliders are updated, and some default values are really playing nicely. Have learned that adjusting the HLW is super sensitive this year. Adjusting error values is a good way to go without modifying the HLW too much, if at all. Seeing miscommunication passes, poor passes, etc. It is very nice.

FIFA 20 Operation Sports Sliders ||| DEFAULT SET

World Class/Legendary/Ultimate, 10 -15 minutes, Normal speed
Controls: Manual/Semi/Assisted, Handball On (including PKs)
this sliders looks very nice but does it disable all team’s individuality and uniqueness?

Tackling? I'm not having issues..I don't think...isn't it just pressing/tapping "square"? (Tactical)

I think it's about the much hyped planned tackling that I think was working fine ages ago (beta?) and you were supposed to get the ball as a defender without it bouncing back to the attacker. I don't know if it currently works like that or not, but I've seen a lot of complaining about it regressing, but I don't really have an opinion. No idea about how it was supposed to work.

this sliders looks very nice but does it disable all team’s individuality and uniqueness?

I'm guessing no, it does not.

Although it would be nice if it did.
I think I have a big gripe with the new tactics system since 19. But that will take some explaining, maybe something for another post :)

They are very close to default, so no, it shouldn't affect much. It just humanizes the players in the right spots. Every game has felt different, and true to the team tactics/instructions.

I'm also streaming now:

Back
Top Bottom