FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Tackling? I'm not having issues..I don't think...isn't it just pressing/tapping "square"? (Tactical)
My point was that defending just doesn't exist in general. Your defensive teammates stand in empty spaces so whenever you switch, you have to run them towards the AI player and before you can get close, which is impossible anyway (hold X and you jog around them but not towards them, hold L2 and try to run into them and most of the time you'll skate past as they change direction)... They pass it away and the cycle begins again.

This is not how football works.

I genuinely hadn't won the ball through pressing the tackle button for about five games in a row - only by running into the AI attacker, on the very rare occasion that our paths met. So I've switched to "legacy" defending and it helps the balance (because - this is key for me - the AI have no issue tackling YOU).

There's no build-up in the game because defending equates to floating around players, but never being able to get to them. It's absolutely comical, watching players run straight past the ball carrier, throw the brakes on, then try again, and run straight past them again.

It's like this:

My point was that defending just doesn't exist in general. Your defensive teammates stand in empty spaces so whenever you switch, you have to run them towards the AI player and before you can get close, which is impossible anyway (hold X and you jog around them but not towards them, hold L2 and try to run into them and most of the time you'll skate past as they change direction)... They pass it away and the cycle begins again.

I genuinely hadn't won the ball through pressing the tackle button for about five games in a row - only by running into the AI attacker, on the very rare occasion that our paths met. So I've switched to "legacy" defending and it helps the balance (because - this is key for me - the AI have no issue tackling YOU).

There's no build-up in the game because defending equates to floating around players, but never being able to get to them. It's absolutely comical, watching players run straight past the ball carrier, throw the brakes on, then try again, and run straight past them again.

It's like this:

Ah yeah, I completely get that, and agree. I thought you guys meant literally just the tackle input. I haven't had issues with it. I've fouled more than I'd like to admit though.

You are definitely spot on with that description, mate. I think this 1v1 defending is in such a tough state. It's like they triggered the CPU dribbling skills to only apply when in 1v1 situations. Even if you have multiple guys around, that CPU is taking on just one of you.

It is what it is unfortunately.

Tackling? I'm not having issues..I don't think...isn't it just pressing/tapping "square"? (Tactical)

Yes "square" is the right button... but that's not the problem:
As soon as Cpu player detects that I'm approaching, immedately gets rid of the ball and passes it to another teammate.

So it's very difficult to do tackles.
A very serious issue..
The cpu doesn't hold the ball, but it almost always makes a quick ping pong:
Pass, pass, shot.
I am forced to be a spectator, rather than a player
Very frustrating...
This issue cannot be solved with sliders, not even with yours.
It's the DNA of FIFA 20
Greetings

Last edited:
As soon as Cpu player detects that I'm approaching, immedately gets rid of the ball and passes it to another teammate.

A very serious issue..
Pass, pass, shot.
Very frustrating...
It's the DNA of FIFA 20
Greetings
Agreed. I've tried this with OS sliders and without. The game is a big mess.

I don't know what direction FIFA is going in but it's not the direction I like. FIFA has been dross for years now, since FIFA 16.

A very serious issue..
Pass, pass, shot.
Very frustrating...
It's the DNA of FIFA 20
Greetings
Agreed. I've tried this with OS sliders and without. The game is a big mess.

I don't know what direction FIFA is going in but it's not the direction I like. FIFA has been dross for years now, since FIFA 16.

Right, the OS Sliders are very basic. There are simply adjustments to error values, so no, they wouldn't address this no tackling issue.

Let me understand, as soon as you near the CPU, they choose to pass all the time? Do they ever take you on 1v1? To be honest, I haven't thought about this. Most of the time I'm positioning my players to block forward passes.

I'm streaming right now, maybe it can be pointed out. However, I do believe this is a "power of suggestion" item that once you see it, feel it - it becomes hard to unsee, or think about.

It's like this:

I've just dipped back into Fifa this last day or so and basically this sums up the defending. On world class or legendary it is actually not possible to defend against a good side. Players don't engage the dribbler. There is like a forcefield around the ball carrier that stops my defender from getting anywhere near tackling them. My only hope is that they run into me or I run into them. It's shocking.

I've tried jockey, fast jockey, contain, secondary press, cutting passing lanes. Nothing works. The I intelligence of AI controlled defenders is just purely non existent. So frustrating. And so weird. Who the fuck tested this mess of a game.

I've just dipped back into Fifa this last day or so and basically this sums up the defending. On world class or legendary it is actually not possible to defend against a good side. Players don't engage the dribbler. There is like a forcefield around the ball carrier that stops my defender from getting anywhere near tackling them. My only hope is that they run into me or I run into them. It's shocking.

I've tried jockey, fast jockey, contain, secondary press, cutting passing lanes. Nothing works. The I intelligence of AI controlled defenders is just purely non existent. So frustrating. And so weird. Who the fuck tested this mess of a game.

It is absolutely possible to defend against good sides. I'm doing so on Ultimate. Defending is frustrating at times but some of these criticisms of not being able to tackle or not being able to defend are down somewhat at least to user experience and skill with the new system. If you're always having issues getting close for a tackle, it almost always means that you're thinking a step behind the CPU, whereas in this game it's really so much about predicting the next move. I also recommend practicing using second man press to put the CPU into situations where it's easier to get in a tackle. Formations and tactics can have a big effect too.

It is absolutely possible to defend against good sides. I'm doing so on Ultimate. Defending is frustrating at times but some of these criticisms of not being able to tackle or not being able to defend are down somewhat at least to user experience and skill with the new system. If you're always having issues getting close for a tackle, it almost always means that you're thinking a step behind the CPU, whereas in this game it's really so much about predicting the next move. I also recommend practicing using second man press to put the CPU into situations where it's easier to get in a tackle. Formations and tactics can have a big effect too.

I tend to agree here. Honestly, I've read through the feedback about tackling. I've executed plenty of tackles, and I've seen the CPU take me on plenty of times. It's not just dribble-dribble-pass like in older FIFA's. There are plenty moments in which they are truly 1v1, and take you on. Especially down the sides.

About to jump on another twitch stream. Absolutely loving how the game is playing right now.

It is absolutely possible to defend against good sides.

It's not a binary thing. I would say it's possible some times and other times you're screwed over because of how defending works.
Above all it's neither enjoyable nor football. Can you afford not to switch players everytime the cpu passes the ball? NOPE. It doesn't mean you will concede everytime if you don't keep up, but you better keep up. Is it possible for player switching to screw you over in the process? ABSOLUTELY. Scrambles in the box are the worst. An attacker might be surrounded by 3 defenders and still score because 2 out of 3 will back off.

Goals that feel impossible to defend is not something new, and they always feel frustrating. But having 9 outfield players out of 10 not defend by design doesn't exactly help. So at the end of the day personally I don't care if it's possible to defend or if the game is challenging or not. Both could be true -to some extend- and the game could still be dogshit.

Last edited:
I've just sold my copy. It's such a bad game I don't even know where to start. FIFA is dead to me now. FIFA 17, 18, 19 and now 20 have all be absolutely woeful. They're not football games - they are Ice Skating/Power Boat Simulators.

I've just sold my copy. It's such a bad game I don't even know where to start. FIFA is dead to me now. FIFA 17, 18, 19 and now 20 have all be absolutely woeful. They're not football games - they are Ice Skating/Power Boat Simulators.

same here, got 47 quid back for it this morning and will rebuy it in January for 20 quid when hopefully everything is patched correctly

whats going on? a few pages ago you guys were looking fine to play this game
@goalgerd was tweaking the slider to make the game better
@Mikhail was saying the game might be challenging because he lost a few games
but then just gave up and sold the game?

Still loving it. I'm not sure what was expected from FIFA to be honest. Was FIFA 20 ever "good" completely to the level we expected? I don't think it will ever reach that. We all knew the back of the box feature said 1v1 defending...so in the most pessimistic eyes, you could only expect the worse here. Yes, it is less engaging, 1v1, boss mode, defending. However, once you get over that fact, and accept the game for what it is - versus what it isn't, it can be enjoyable.

Unless someone finds a way to make FIFA 20 a zonal based marking system, this is what we've got this year.

It IS more challenging after the update. But the gameplay is still really bad for so many reasons.

Like I said before, I’m done with FIFA and PES now. I just don’t enjoy them.

Yes, it is less engaging, 1v1, boss mode, defending. However, once you get over that fact, and accept the game for what it is - versus what it isn't, it can be enjoyable.
This is what really annoys me. Why do we have to accept lack of absolute basics of football? Last year it was fouls.
Your sliders were saying - this will NOT fix fouls.
This year is defending.
These are not some glitches, like clipping. This you can accept. These are fundamentals of football. Until EA understands that - they will not see a broken penny from me. And the more people decide to skip it - the merrier.

Mate you were loving it just 10 days ago. What the heck happened?

Mate you were loving it just 10 days ago. What the heck happened?
I’m always easily impressed with the first few hours of a footy game, I’m a shocker for it.

after many hours with FIFA 20 it’s the same old turgid nonsense for me.

i was spending more time fixing it than playing it, thats the reason why i quit the other game. im a busy man

This is what really annoys me. Why do we have to accept lack of absolute basics of football? Last year it was fouls.
Your sliders were saying - this will NOT fix fouls.
This year is defending.
These are not some glitches, like clipping. This you can accept. These are fundamentals of football. Until EA understands that - they will not see a broken penny from me. And the more people decide to skip it - the merrier.

Let others accept it and move on. EA can try again in FIFA 21. However, to expect a game to play completely different than what is being advertised is illogical. It's FIFA. It's not designed for simulation anymore. So you have to make the best out of it, or you give up on it. That's your choice as a consumer. You boycotting it doesn't annoy me, so why should anyone still enjoying it annoy you?

It's not to say all those attempts at getting it close to a simulation aren't attempted, or exhausted. If you know me, I've already spent countless hours in doing so. However, sometimes EA wins, and fighting it causes an imbalance. It doesn't mean I'm done exploring and troubleshooting, but "as it is" is not hurting my experience as a consumer either.

You boycotting it doesn't annoy me, so why should anyone still enjoying it annoy you?
No no, Matt, you misunderstood the annoying bit. Im not annoyed that you (or others) are enjoying it. Im very happy.
Im annoyed that each year I have to give up on some fundamental of football if I want to play Fifa. Thats all I meant, pal.

With the patch out, I thought I'd try out some Career Mode but jeezus it's just so easy. It started out with a decent level of challenge, but now I'm back to scoring 5+ goals per match. IMO they've gone way too far with the stat scaling, so I only find a challenge when playing even or better quality teams.

I agree with @Matt10 but this lack of a challenge is killing it for me. Guess it's back to Squad Battles and FUT. Sigh.

guys, lets play pro clubs :) it would be great to have evo-web club there and you will forget about single player

No no, Matt, you misunderstood the annoying bit. Im not annoyed that you (or others) are enjoying it. Im very happy.
Im annoyed that each year I have to give up on some fundamental of football if I want to play Fifa. Thats all I meant, pal.

Thanks for clarifying. I completely agree and understand. It's been like that for years though. I don't want to accept it either, and the part that really kills me is that the pre-patch beta was absolutely perfect, and I still feel deeply that it was ripped away from not only me, but the entire FIFA community - especially this group that would've really appreciated it.

Back
Top Bottom