FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

Eurogamer Article on EA Next-Gen Games

So... FIFA on next-gen will:

• Play like the Xbox One X version on Xbox Series X
  • Play like the Xbox One S version on Xbox Series S

By that logic, the Xbox Series S is no better than the Xbox One S...

It also pretty much confirms the game will be identical.

Why the hell am I even buying a next-gen console...

Because it will be silent..
I wasn't expecting it to have different gameplay, the thing stated it would have improved visuals, better than available on PS4.
So I am guessing the visuals will just match PC Ultra.

I was hoping though for different gameplay, as FIFA 14 NG when I played that at a game show years ago, was just a massive step up.

They mean next week if you play Fifa on the next gen consoles not the next gen Fifa which is out 4th December which they are sharing the details on later this month.

They mean next week if you play Fifa on the next gen consoles not the next gen Fifa which is out 4th December which they are sharing the details on later this month.
Ahhhh, I didn't realise that. Phew!

The thing I don't get though - surely the Xbox Series S is at least as powerful as the Xbox One X - or why release it as a next-gen console? Should they not both be capable of playing the best version of a last-gen game?

Ahhhh, I didn't realise that. Phew!

The thing I don't get though - surely the Xbox Series S is at least as powerful as the Xbox One X - or why release it as a next-gen console? Should they not both be capable of playing the best version of a last-gen game?
Nope, the Xbox Series S is a little bit slower than the Xbox One X. It's a low budget option.

I've just opened up @paulv2k4 new mod which now features a full gameplay editor. There's definitely new values to work with compared to last year, lots of which I think are related to the dreaded issues we've all discussed. There's lots of completely new lines relating attacking and defensive positioning (most importantly DEFENSIVE AWARENESS) which weren't in the editor for FIFA 20. Some of these include -

defenderreactiontimefor(difficultylevel)
markingintelligence
intelligentdefenderthreshold
intelligentdoubleteamanglethreshold
coveringeffectiveness

+ loads more relating to midfield covering, midfield marking etc.

@manmachine - I know you were looking at pressing last year. There's a couple of values you might be interested in in relation to team pressing now- teampresschargingduration & teampressdischargingduration.

Now it's just deciding if it's worth the time learning what all of these do. I went down the rabbit hole with FIFA 20, not sure if it was worth it, or if I've recovered:SHOCK:

We need to start a FIFA 21 PC Gameplay Editing thread.

Nope, the Xbox Series S is a little bit slower than the Xbox One X. It's a low budget option.

I believe this is incorrect. XOneX is running old architecture both in the CPU (pretty much a laptop CPU from 7 years ago) and the GPU. Actually the CPU on the Series S is on par or a bit faster than the PS5. Not to mention the SSD and RDNA2 architecture from AMD (ray tracing, etc). You are correct to mention it is the budget option ($299) as it aims for games to run at 1080p/1440p. The XOneX was marketed as a 4K console for having a more powerful GPU while being terribly bottlenecked by everything else in the system. Raw GPU performance in the SeriesS should be similar to the XOneX due to the leap in generational architectures. The extra teraflops from the OneX allow it output 4K but remember that the Series S is not being marketed as a 4K console.
Internal storage size in the Series S is pitiful compared to the OneX though (and pitiful in general)...

We need to start a FIFA 21 PC Gameplay Editing thread.
I haven't played 21 in quite a while. Motivation to get stuck into the gameplay editing just isn't there at the moment (1v1 really destroys it for me). I'm sure it'll hit at some point though. Hopefully those new files do help, but it's most likely a long road to getting the game to where we want..

I haven't played 21 in quite a while. Motivation to get stuck into the gameplay editing just isn't there at the moment (1v1 really destroys it for me). I'm sure it'll hit at some point though. Hopefully those new files do help, but it's most likely a long road to getting the game to where we want..
Every time I go back to it, I'm just appalled.

I took a look back over all the previous years' FIFA threads yesterday and at this point in the release cycle, there were people (including me) getting enjoyment out of the game. This year, the FIFA 16 thread is the only thread in this section that's getting posts. It's no coincidence.

It's the first FIFA in many years I have no interest in going back to whatsoever. The gameplay has crossed the line into fully-online-focused. The 1v1 elements are turned up to the max, team play is less important, the speed of the game is, without exaggeration (especially when you see FUT videos), hilarious...

Sliders can pull certain things back towards the "offline" camp, but it's the equivalent of putting birthday candles into a bag of flour and calling it a cake. The effort it would take to make it appealing to me personally would just be gargantuan.

My slim hope is that the next-gen versions will fix a handful of things which go a long way to improving the experience. Just improving the footplanting (and eliminating skating) would be huge - one small thing that changes the entire game.

Until then... It's games of the past for me.

Every time I go back to it, I'm just appalled.

I took a look back over all the previous years' FIFA threads yesterday and at this point in the release cycle, there were people (including me) getting enjoyment out of the game. This year, the FIFA 16 thread is the only thread in this section that's getting posts. It's no coincidence.

It's the first FIFA in many years I have no interest in going back to whatsoever. The gameplay has crossed the line into fully-online-focused. The 1v1 elements are turned up to the max, team play is less important, the speed of the game is, without exaggeration (especially when you see FUT videos), hilarious...

Sliders can pull certain things back towards the "offline" camp, but it's the equivalent of putting birthday candles into a bag of flour and calling it a cake. The effort it would take to make it appealing to me personally would just be gargantuan.

My slim hope is that the next-gen versions will fix a handful of things which go a long way to improving the experience. Just improving the footplanting (and eliminating skating) would be huge - one small thing that changes the entire game.

Until then... It's games of the past for me.
Yeah I'm the same, I've barely played it as the fundamental issues (1v1, lack of tracking/engaging and the collision system) are just so bad (and so important) that I can't get into it at all. The fundamental issues were the most difficult (and by this I mean it felt virtually impossible) to correct with the frosty files last year. I'm curious about next-gen, but can't say I'm optimistic.

FIFA games I own on Origin:

FIFA 20: 273 Hours Played
FIFA 19: 469 Hours Played
FIFA 18: 371 Hours Played
FIFA 17: 437 Hours Played
FIFA 16: 518 Hours Played
FIFA 15: 319 Hours Played
FIFA 14: Glitched because it says 3,898 🤔

This doesn't even account for all of the Pro Clubs (and to a lesser extent FUT) I played on 17, 18, 19 for consoles. Needless to say, I don't hate FIFA. Unfortunately, FIFA 21 is pure garbage. It's beyond FIFA 20 levels which was already straddling the line in terms of being insufferable, but I still managed to milk something out of that.

This is the first time I haven't bought FIFA since FIFA 07. I subscribed to EA Play Pro, played the game for about 20 hours (a lot of which was doing menu based groundwork for a career mode), and then proceeded to uninstall/unsubscribe. In fact, this is the first time since the PS2 era of PES games where I've played more PES than FIFA and I'm not even completely content with the former! After subjecting myself to 20 and 21, even 19 (which I'll probably start playing for my career mode fix) seems like a masterclass in comparison. At least it has second man press.

Unless the next-gen version starts pulling up trees, I've about had my fill. I will say that FIFA 21 is unintentionally one of the funniest games of the year.

Last edited:
It's most likely just a physics glitch? Same thing happened to me in Pro Clubs, 10th minute. Flew to the other end for a corner kick.

Everything that goes against someone's favour in this game gets labelled scripting or favouritism.

Well said. If it's truly scripting, then it would be consistent, and can be recreated. That doesn't seem to be the case. I think it's a physics glitch, but also a good example of an online game being out of sync.

I can't imagine how EA devs have to prepare for troubleshooting online gameplay. There are just so many variables in general, then pair that up with the possible, and most likely, sync issues online.

They look kinda 'off' to me!
I mean, you're expecting a miracle if you want much more! They're amazing.

I keep getting my hopes up here - surely they won't make it look that good, and then bolt on the same current-gen gameplay. It'd be such a waste.

Felix's hair is mesmerizing. Like a siren in the sea...

I mean, you're expecting a miracle if you want much more! They're amazing.

I keep getting my hopes up here - surely they won't make it look that good, and then bolt on the same current-gen gameplay. It'd be such a waste.

Right? My desperation says one thing, but my brain says another.

Back
Top Bottom