Madden NFL 11

Re: Madden NFL 09

Cheers Tobi.

The graphics and presentation look awesome. I'm also glad they got rid of the shitty radio guy, that pissed me off no end :TU:

The MySkill sounds a bit iffy. I like what it's trying to do and trying to balance your game, but the IGN reviewer had a point when he said his RB couldn't get a record season because it kept cranking the difficulty up.

:))

All the reviews mention the same faults but the Gamespot video review goes into more detail about them, online leagues is really disappointing, its clearly an after thought and they would have been better off adding it as free DLC after the game comes out.

I'll be trading in ISS and Fifa for it on Friday, I don't have 5.1 yet but I hope its great.

PS: The grass looks amazing!

Probably the best review - OS review

Last edited:

The OS review is pretty good. I'm pretty excited to play some football again, only without Favre this time :((

The OS review is pretty good. I'm pretty excited to play some football again, only without Favre this time :((

You could always trade for him, ;)

I will pick the game up once it gets cheap somewhere I think, for now I dont think its worth dropping 35 sheets on it.

The Backtrack feature is great in theory. I enjoy football but I barely understand defensive formations and quite a few attacking plays so it'd be great if I got pulled up for choosing a wrong formation and explaining why I did it wrong :TU:

i cant understand all of these great reviews, the demo was shit, just like last year..

Agree. Don't understand either. I'm guessing this sites have been bought out by EA to write good reviews for their lackluster Madden games.

The reviewer over at OS wrote an interested review. And this is from a guy/site that is pro NFL2k games. Don't know what to make of his review though since it's so hard to trust any sites these days due to heavy biased views.

mentioned this in the FIFA forum also. Madden 09 is region free on 360 so you can import the Asian version for £25.

Is that right though? Thats a first for EA on the 360 if true. Think I'd get someone to check it out first though.

EDIT: Play Asia certainly have it down as region free.................... hmmm 26 quid.........

Last edited:

seems to be some confusion.. play-asia have it down for region free but others like videogamesplus.ca saying it isnt. Play asia have the collecters version US region only.

Just reading peoples impressions on OS forums and it's getting glowing reviews from people :DD The only real complaint is that the game is a bit too fast and the CPU QB is too accurate but the upcoming patch should fix that. People are also saying MySkill is giving them great results and a very good game.

There's been a patch out already but haven't seen what's changed yet.

Edit:

Evening,

There's been a lot of discussion around rosters and patches so i wanted to go ahead and post an update.

Rosters
For those that manged to get an early copy, you may have noticed that a roster update was recently made available. Many of you also noticed that Brett Favre was listed as the 2nd QB for the Packers. This roster was posted up as a final test of our roster update capability. We're actually prepping a more final roster update that should be available on 8/11.

As for our roster update frequency... Our current plan is to update rosters about every two weeks. This could change based on major roster movement but expect us to drop rosters on an average of twice a month through the Super Bowl.

Patch
Yes, I'm finally going to discuss the state and details of the patch.

Regarding the patch status... Yes we submitted a patch to MS and Sony about a week ago. They are currently going through certification and all indications point to them going live some time next week. Please understand that it's very easy for issues with the patch to delay the release of the patch. For example, if MS finds a new bug with the patch, it would easily be delayed by 2 weeks. We're hopeful the patch will drop on or around 8/14.

What's in the patch?

There's a number of changes in this patch. Most would never be noticed by the average consumer but some were targeted at improving the experience as quickly as we could.

1. Changed default quarter length of online leagues to 5 minutes.
2. Solved a very rare stability issue that occured when using a couple of playbooks.
3. Eliminated a button mashing glitch during high latency online games.
4. Eliminated a stability issue that sometimes occured while viewing the player HUB in online leagues.
5. Fixed a tricky disc eject glitch that occured at specific points of online games.
6. Kick Return Tuning - made improvements to help reduce frequent long kick returns.
7. Safety Tuning - eliminated issue where safeties in deep zone coverage would sometimes not react to a run to their side.
8. The game skill slider for interceptions was tuned to amplify it's affect.

What about some of the other early feedback on the game? Keep reading, we're not done.

Patch #2 & DLC
Now that some details for patch #1 have been discussed, it's important to note that we're not done. We think it's very important to continue to improve the game even after it's release. We're actually very happy with the non-patched product but having the ability to patch the game to make it the ultimate experience is fantastic capability that we definately want to use.

We're already hard at work on the 2nd patch and are also evaluating releasing a FREE DLC. Here's a sneak preview of what you might expect in future updates.

Patch #2 Possibilities
Please understand this list is under construction and won't be finalized until we've received more feedback on the final game from the community.
1. Ghost Juking OOB fix - aka CPU players running out of bounds
2. CPU Accuracy tuning
3. Amplify the field degredation effect (the system is currently working but is hidden by some of our late added post effects)
4. Other post-release community feedback

DLC Possibilities
The same warning comes with this one. We're still evaluating these changes and are working hard to get them out as quick as possible.
1. Accelerated Clock
2. CPU Sliders (you would have the all new human sliders as well as a brand new screen of CPU sliders)
3. Legacy Gen Controller Config
4. Madden Community Gamerpics (a variety of gamerpics that will show what community you belong to. make sure your community managers know you want an OS gamerpic.)

We're targeting a mid-September release for patch#2 and the DLC but will give constant updates and screenshots as we progress.

I look forward to seeing all of your very constructive feedback next week when the game is released and will do my best to answer additional questions here.

Phil

I love how when you finish a game, it ask you to go back to the IQ Test to improve on areas that you are bad.

Great touch :TU:

Last edited by a moderator:

After reading OS raving review on Madden, and the fact that they are pro NFL2k fans, I decided to go out and get me a copy with my fingers crossed behind my back. Boy was I glad I did.

The game is completely different from the demo in a very positive way. It actually feels and plays like madden football of old. The different tackles, numerous animations, catching on the run, hard hits, throwing, leading your WR, and more importantly, running the ball in a realistic manner are some things that have drastically been improved to mimic real life.

Yes, there still exist some old Maddenish problems, but as the writer wrote in OS, they are definately overshadowed by all the positives. I cannot begin to tell you how taugh it is to run in this game. I cannot begin to tell you how great it feels to gain 6 hard earned yards, much less to break a long one. The running backs feel great! you feel in full control of them and mastering the jukes, turns, Truck Stick, stiff arm, using the LS and RS can lead to some great creativity that will see your RB running for day light as He-could-go-all-the-way-Touchdown!

This game is not like last year's madden where everthing seemed so scripted and simple. No, this game will need to be mastered in practice mode(especially the RB)to fully enjoy it's potential. I spent 3 hrs in practice mode learning the new running back's moves trying to get through holes and allowing myself to be more patient with out over using the sprint button too much. It's all well worth it.

Passing is just as great depending on who your quarterback is as in real life ofcourse. Using Payton Manning, Favre, or Brady, you get some nice accurate completions that other QB's such as Pennington or any other 2nd string or 3rd string could not complete. This also depends on the WR as well. If for example Favre is throwing to a 3rd string WR, no matter how great the pass is, there is a great chance that that receiver will drop or bobble the ball. The long bomb will also need to be practiced since you can no longer cheese with the infamous "Rocket Catch".

Defense is hella fun! You can get some nasty bone crunching tackles as well as some decleaters if you time them right. I was playing the Cowgirls in exhibition and on one play I had excellent coverage downfield which led to T. Romo tucking the ball in and decided to take it for a spin down the field. As I saw him take off, I immediately took control of Marcus Washington #53 for the Redskins and ramed my helmet in to his back which saw his head realistically snap backwards from the impact that led to a fumble and a game ending injury.

Graphics aren't great, great per say but are good enough for the game in my opinion. You will see what I mean when you go replay mode and zoom in on the field and players uni's. Also, I am a bit disappointed that I can't edit my players physic with regards to muscle tone etc..I would like to make some LB's a little more meaty if you know what I mean, but I either this option is hidden, or is not there.

All in all, I am proud of EA for showing that they are not resting in their laurels any more and that they are headed in the right direction. I beleive they have gotten back to their good ways and this is a sign of some good football titles to come in the future.

This from a very grateful football fan.
;-)

Last edited:

After reading OS raving review on Madden, and the fact that they are pro NFL2k fans, I decided to go out and get me a copy with my fingers crossed behind my back. Boy was I glad I did.

The game is completely different from the demo in a very positive way. It actually feels and plays like madden football of old. The different tackles, numerous animations, catching on the run, hard hits, throwing, leading your WR, and more importantly, running the ball in a realistic manner are some things that have drastically been improved to mimic real life.

Yes, there still exist some old Maddenish problems, but as the writer wrote in OS, they are definately overshadowed by all the positives. I cannot begin to tell you how taugh it is to run in this game. I cannot begin to tell you how great it feels to gain 6 hard earned yards, much less to break a long one. The running backs feel great! you feel in full control of them and mastering the jukes, turns, Truck Stick, stiff arm, using the LS and RS can lead to some great creativity that will see your RB running for day light as He-could-go-all-the-way-Touchdown!

This game is not like last year's madden where everthing seemed so scripted and simple. No, this game will need to be mastered in practice mode(especially the RB)to fully enjoy it's potential. I spent 3 hrs in practice mode learning the new running back's moves trying to get through holes and allowing myself to be more patient with out over using the sprint button too much. It's all well worth it.

Passing is just as great depending on who your quarterback is as in real life ofcourse. Using Payton Manning, Favre, or Brady, you get some nice accurate completions that other QB's such as Pennington or any other 2nd string or 3rd string could not complete. This also depends on the WR as well. If for example Favre is throwing to a 3rd string WR, no matter how great the pass is, there is a great chance that that receiver will drop or bobble the ball. The long bomb will also need to be practiced since you can no longer cheese with the infamous "Rocket Catch".

Defense is hella fun! You can get some nasty bone crunching tackles as well as some decleaters if you time them right. I was playing the Cowgirls in exhibition and on one play I had excellent coverage downfield which led to T. Romo tucking the ball in and decided to take it for a spin down the field. As I saw him take off, I immediately took control of Marcus Washington #53 for the Redskins and ramed my helmet in to his back which saw his head realistically snap backwards from the impact that led to a fumble and a game ending injury.

Graphics aren't great, great per say but are good enough for the game in my opinion. You will see what I mean when you go replay mode and zoom in on the field and players uni's. Also, I am a bit disappointed that I can't edit my players physic with regards to muscle tone etc..I would like to make some LB's a little more meaty if you know what I mean, but I either this option is hidden, or is not there.

All in all, I am proud of EA for showing that they are not resting in their laurels any more and that they are headed in the right direction. I beleive they have gotten back to their good ways and this is a sign of some good football titles to come in the future.

This from a very grateful football fan.
;-)

wow really? jflores did you get this on 360? if so lets play! now im getting it

That review and Wembley being in the game has got me excited for Friday.

Yes, mate, 360 in all it's High Definition glory! lol

I should be on tonight between 8-9pm eastern time. I really haven't played one down online yet to be honest. I only went online to download the rosters before making any player edits and then saved. But, I should be online tonight after a get a break from the wife and kids.

Wembley stadium is in the game??? Sweeeet!

I need to look for it.

Last edited:

That review and Wembley being in the game has got me excited for Friday.

Got my payment taken an hour ago and ShopTo will have it sent out later today, I should be playing tomorrow afternoon :DD

Yes, mate, 360 in all it's High Definition glory! lol

I should be on tonight between 8-9pm eastern time. I really haven't played one down online yet to be honest. I only went online to download the rosters before making any player edits and then saved. But, I should be online tonight after a get a break from the wife and kids.

Wembley stadium is in the game??? Sweeeet!

I need to look for it.

Someone said that they couldn't find it in "Play Now" so not sure how they found it, maybe they were doing a Saints franchise?

Someone said that they couldn't find it in "Play Now" so not sure how they found it, maybe they were doing a Saints franchise?

Really? Argh!!!

I will search some forums in a few minutes to see if there is any other way to unlock this stadium. Another thing missing from this Madden is the stadium screen shots when in stadium selection/options screen. I miss that.

Some of those vids on the Easportsworld.com site look sick!

That reminds me, I need to upload my own vids tonight to show you guys.

I'm trading in ISS, Fifa and NBA 2K8 to get it after work on Friday, if that's not enough then I've got £10 on a GAME gift card.

I really don't want to trade in 2K8 but I don't get paid from work until the end of the month and I cant wait that long.

Do you guys think that this game would appeal to someone who has never played a madden game? I know a little bit about American Football but never actually played a Madden game but the videos of 2009 look very good.

Do you guys think that this game would appeal to someone who has never played a madden game? I know a little bit about American Football but never actually played a Madden game but the videos of 2009 look very good.

Yes mate, I think it would appeal to you. Just trying to master the running game will keep you occupied and is very rewarding when you pull off some moves in-game as it felt with PES games when scoring. The physics and animations have really given life back into this game. When you tackle, you really do feel the like your tackling as it felt in past 2k games. Check out the new vids on IGN.COM.

I have yet to dive into Superstar mode and it does look mighty fun. Picking up yards after a catch which basically puts you into running back mode is really fun. You really have to work hard to gain yards in this game. And the jukes and other neat animations you can do with both sticks can come in handy when executed at the right time and with the right Running Back.

There's tons of newly added animations I'm still seeing. The game is a lot of fun mate. I've been a football fan from childhood(Redskins specifically), and so I can appreciate this game. If your a newcomer to this sport, it will require a lot of patience and understanding of the sport itself to enjoy this game. Not to mention understanding your plays and how to exploit them.

I say give it a fair shot, you'll be glad you did.

That was how I started when I played a Madden on the XBox 1. I knew VERY basics about the game but thought I'd give it a bash anyway.

The MySkill should help you start at a good level and you'll pick loads up when playing anyway.

Back
Top Bottom