NBA_2K9_Stoudemire1.jpg

NBA_2K9_Hamilton2.jpg

NBA_2K9_Gasol2.jpg

NBA_2K9_Ginobli1.jpg

NBA_2K9_Carter1.jpg

NBA_2K9_Anthony1copy.jpg

NBA_2K9_Kirilinko1.jpg

NBA_2K9_Nowitzki1.jpg

The only negative for me is that the dunk in the Melo pic looks the same but everything else is looking good.

Re: NBA 2K9 - PS3/360...PS2

@tobi

do you have a link to the preview of this spanish site? thx!

Last edited:

OMG check out the crowd they look sick

and gasol looks much better...... cant wait i play this series more than pro since the 2008 version .... was geting worried bout the last pics.... thanks tobi

They look nice, but can somebody give me a technical explanation as to why the crowds in video games always look away from the action?

Is this to avoid slow down occurring from having all the fans stare at the same time?

No matter how real a game may look, until they fix this area with the fans, the games will always lack a bit of realism.

Here is the link to the preview - click

Regarding the crowds I always wondered why that was and its more evident in basketball games because their so close to the action. In 2K8 the crowd do react to what is going on and they even stand up on occasion. Hopefully someone will get it right soon.

New teaser

I'm sick of these teasers :TD:

That's a bit harsh, no one can say how it looks properly because their are no gameplay videos but it'll certainly look better than 2K8 and that looked good in HD.

That's a bit harsh, no one can say how it looks properly because their are no gameplay videos but it'll certainly look better than 2K8 and that looked good in HD.
imo 2k8 looks better. this looks awful. hardly any colour or vibe in it. looks like the game has too much contrast on and the colours and textures are dull and notappealing

These pics are not high res, the pics in my first post are, that's a better representation of what the game looks like.

I downloaded the NBA Live 09 demo and I'm very, very impressed with the whole package, I hope to pick this one up eventually but it's got a big task in bettering Live 09.

imo 2k8 looks better. this looks awful. hardly any colour or vibe in it. looks like the game has too much contrast on and the colours and textures are dull and notappealing

I think it looks shit hot. NBA2K shows other sports games how it's done in terms of graphics and player animations in my opinion, and I'm sure this will be no different.

The only thing that does look a bit off is Andriy Kirlenko's face.

2K Sports today announced details on Team 2K, an elite group to be composed of the best players for both NHL 2K9 and NBA 2K9. Every week a dedicated player will be chosen to join Team 2K during a 10 week online contest beginning at launch for each respective title on both Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system.

To be eligible, participants must compete in ranked quick match games either through Xbox Live online entertainment network or PlayStation Network. After signing in, they will automatically land on the Team 2K screen, the hub of the competition where participants can find their current ranking and a list of the previous weekly winners. At the end of each week, the player at the top of each platform's leaderboard will earn their spot on Team 2K, and the leaderboard will then reset after each week for players to have a new shot at working their way up to the top. A countdown timer on the Team 2K website and in-game screen will also be available for players to ensure sure they get in their games before the end of the week. To ensure fair competition, an ELO leaderboard rating system will be used to account for both quality of an opponent along with the number of games a player has won.

After proving their skills, each weekly winner will be rewarded with the exciting opportunity to become a playable character as part of Team 2K in next year's game. Each winner will also receive exclusive 2K Sports gear, a library of upcoming games, and more prestigiously, be recognized as one of the top players in the world. Official contest rules and information can be found on the 2K Sports website at www.2ksports.com/team2k.

:COOL:

I'm importing the game now, I really want that ticker!

Here is a new preview and pics from ESPN off all places.

Link

And that's just the start of the startling detail as 2K Sports has everything from the way Kevin Garnett scrunches his face as he pounds his chest in celebration to the most animated crowd in sports game history. And that's just the start of the startling detail as 2K Sports has everything from the way Kevin Garnett scrunches his face as he pounds his chest in celebration to the most animated crowd in sports game history. Seriously, they have people walking up and down stairs headed to the concession stands, fans jumping and screaming independently of each other (not just a row of the same dude who stand and sit in unison), people waving foam fingers in the air, and mascots moonwalking in order to whip the fans into even more of a frenzy.

:SMOKIN:

Playing defense has also seen a significant upgrade. When playing off the ball, you actually have the ability to grab your opponent's jersey to slow him down as he tries to cut toward the hoop. Obviously, if you do this too much or are too blatant about it, you get called for the foul, but if you are able to time it right, you can be one of those Bruce Bowen types who slows down his man when the time is right then throw your controller when the ref whistles you for the foul like you're the most innocent person in the world.

:DD

Speaking of winning a ring, after years of complaints, those who win the championship will finally see a bigger payoff as 2K promises the biggest championship celebration that they've ever offered in franchise mode, including the appearance of David Stern.

Nice.

Online, the game will focus heavily on what they call player DNA, as gamers will be able to go in and create their favorite all-time greats like Michael Jordan, then use 2K Share so that other gamers can download the best MJ to their team. Gamers will also be able to share rosters and sliders as well as search for topics such as 1992-93 season, most downloaded, and highest rated.

If you're into making highlights, the 2K Reel Maker also makes its return with a special in-game digitizer built in that makes it easy for gamers to upload their videos straight to YouTube. Forget the days of being posterized. You've just been YouTubed.

Ernestito watch out!

To top it off, online play also includes Team Up, a five-on-five mode where 10 different users can play from 10 different machines. Fear Ricky Davis getting online? Don't, as you'll be able to rate users after each game in order to warn others of ball hogs who have no concept of team play.

No cheesers ftw!

I've heard whispers on the 2K forums that the release date might be brought forward.

I'm so hyped for this game and 2K haven't even released an official gameplay video!

EDIT: Either ESPN haven't calibrated their TV's or they have the contrast really high. Carlos Boozer - Before & After

boozerpierce1rg3.jpg

nba2k9gallery7800x450au8.jpg

nba2k9_gallery1_800x450.jpg

nba2k9_gallery2_800x450.jpg

Notice the players on the bench in the background actually following the game. :-D

nba2k9_gallery3_800x450.jpg

Steve Nash looks terrible, please fix his face!

nba2k9_gallery6_800x450.jpg

I like the new scoreboard.

nba2k9_gallery9_800x450.jpg

Clearly the models of the comms aren't as important. :LOL:

nba2k9_gallery10_800x450.jpg

nba2k9_gallery11_800x450.jpg

Last edited:

The ticker is pretty much identical to the ticker in the EA Sports games, real time info etc.

I'm 99% sure that it was in the PAL 360 version of 2K8 and it was definately wasn't in the PAL PS3 version. From what I read on the 2K forums it seems like it will be the same again for 2K9, I'm not taking any chances so I'm going to import it. The only potential downside will be that I won't be able to play PAL PS3 players but thats not confirmed yet.

I'm 99% sure that it was in the PAL 360 version of 2K8 and it was definately wasn't in the PAL PS3 version. From what I read on the 2K forums it seems like it will be the same again for 2K9, I'm not taking any chances so I'm going to import it. The only potential downside will be that I won't be able to play PAL PS3 players but thats not confirmed yet.

I see. Thanks mate. :)

Finally some coverage, video included.

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/on-the...spot&event=on_the_spot20080918#download-video

EDIT: Q n A

How does the 2K9 gameplay feel?
NBA 2k9 gameplay is solid like last year but they have added many new animations such as dribbling through double teams and diving to save balls this year.... very sharp gameplay.

Does AI Play more realistically at the end of the game and when they are losing big (shoot more 3's)?
AI does play more accurately late game... i played 2 games last night and I was up by like 20 in both. They will start pushing the ball up and take shots early in the shot clock

are guards more capable of scoring layups on big men than last year on 2k?
guards can score inside but it has to be an open shot... if a big is close in front of him it will affect his shot very often

Does the CPU try to run offense, or just lay up all the time?
the AI tries to set up shots and will if you leave a man open... they go to low post offense quite a bit but will force up a shot if late in the shot clock (as to be expected). didn't really see them dribble and quickly pull up to shoot a jumper.... the only time they shoot off the dribble is when they are dunking or laying it up

How is the sliding in the games, is it a big problem?
2K9 is far better with regards to players not moving without lifting their feet than either nba 09 or nba live.... both of the other games really suffer from this quite a bit... you don't feel as though you get pulled into animations much in 2k9 at all

Are the OKC unis in the game?
Yes

How does defense work in the game?
base lock on D will lay off quite a bit off the player... it just helps you stay in front but not pressure the ball.... you have to move up manually to do that and in that case you can get beat off the dribble... you can also shade to one side or the other on lock down this year to play guys who favor one side over another..... also big guys cant stay in front of guards like they could in the past.... its much tuned down from a year agao

Can Shaq still keep up with Chris Paul?
No he can’t this year

How is NBA Live 09 and NBA 09 compared to last year?
nba live 09 is better than last year, nba 09 is better than last year.... but in both games i have run into many issues of getting pulled into animations such the defender putting body on you.... the worst part is that this happens even if you beat the defender.... playing live 2 days ago i even ran into an issue where garnett "slid" to cover Gasol in the paint and Gasol just did a spin move through the middle of garnett and in for a dunk

How is the game speed in NBA 2K?
the game speed feels pretty good... i notice this most when cpu is playing full copurt d and im dribbling down the sideline quickly to get it past half-court.... speed feels about right there and sometimes i can beat him to the outside and get around him.

Will the lock down feature auto contest shots in 2K9?
lock on will NOT auto contest in 2k9.... it just keeps you in front of your man and even then you need to let go and move yourself if they make a quick move.... you can raise your hands up though with the right analog stick to contest shots without jumping

does the cpu pg just dump a quick pass into the paint for an easy score whe its late in the shot clock?
Alot more passes seem to get broken up than last year.... very hard to force a pass in... even for the CPU

Shank is Kobe's dribbling and dunking animations more like his real life self last years signature style really didnt do Kobe too much justice in my opinion.
To be perfectly honest, Kobe shouldn't be able to do a 360s and Tomahawks all the time... maybe only on . In a real game he uses more conservative dunks and layups in traffic. I'm sure he has the ability to do all those dunks but he doesn't do then everytime he goes down the court as indicated in ALL 3 games. Kobe did have this one more yesterday where he split a double-team by dribbling the ball behind him and through his legs and he steped toward the rim. Very sick stuff indeed.

What new user/menu options have been removed, replaced or newly inputted into NBA2K9 compared to NBA2K7or8?
1. dont see any menu revisions... at least nothing that stands out without having both games on in front of me. Looks the same here.

- What type of new player animations/cutscreens can we all look forward too in NBA2K9 when compared to NBA2K7 or 8?
2. lots of new animations including diving for balls, dribbling through double teams, a sideline run animation, a smoother corner baseline move (Kobe). One animation that sux is the Greg Oden post move (not the spin). He takes way too long to do it making it easy to block (assuming your tall enuf).

- What type of newly added Atmosphere and Presentation can we all be expecting in NBA2K9 when compared to NBA2K7 or 8?
3. No more Kenny's stamp of approval obviously but the post-quarter highlight reels are done very well. There is a background music making it feel like a broadcast going to a commercial. Surprisingly, Sony's NBA 09 had a great intro where they did intro like you would see at a game... music and everything (it still sucked cause it wasn't in sync with the players but still a good idea).

- How smoothly will the game run framerate wise offlne & online on all nex gen systems?
4. 2K9 does have some skipping during the intros and other stages not involved in gameplay. So far gameplay has been very sharp. No idea about online. On a side note 2K sim times and load times are vastly better than in years past. Sim is almost instant.

- Considering the online play, How will 5vs5 servers hold up playing with users from around the globe. Will we be able boot someone due to we can see their ping or connection is poor
5. no idea... no one else has the game yet to practice on

are there fading leaners in nba 2k9? like these: YouTube - Kobe's Game Winning Shot vs Suns (NBA 2k6) YouTube - PAUL PIERCE BUZZER BEATER AGAINST WASHINGTON NBA 2K6
Yes.... In fact the CPU Derek Fisher just took one (im playing as the celtics). In fact that is also the first off the dribble shot ive seen the CPU take that was a non layup/fastbreak.... fisher came off a screen and shot a 3 drifting to his left

I wanted to no about Kobe jumper and if its closer to his real shot now, if he can fade off both shoulders like in NBA live or just the one fade like before? Does Kobe have his characteristics when he moves around the court like in the Live Demo it looked alot like Kobe? If you can get fouled during a jumper and knocked over like in the Live Demo? How does the crowd compare to last year? Thanks
he can fade off either shoulder (he missed both shots i just took just now).Only Kobe characteristic Ive seen is that his sig does look like him and he swung his arm once after he MADE a shot as if he was ****ed he didnt get a foul call... I didn't replay that that so I can be sure (would be totally cool though). Havent seen a shooter fall on his jumper yet. Crowd looks great.... no repeats even zoomed out. They react well to the action on the court.

How is the scoring in the paint this year?
Scoring in the paint is still very effective. The problem is that it is still too easy to get into the paint and, as a result, 2K had to make it so you will still miss a shot from within 7 feet if contested. Annoyinjg but it does balance it out. As easy as Im making it sound though that is also because I'm use alot of Kobe. Live is even easier to get in the paint and NBA 09 is basically retarded in this regard.

Are guys like D12 and Yao unstoppable?
When I played against the Celtics, both in Live and 2K9, Kevin Garnett feels unstoppable. In live, if he gets deep, you can get him into a double-team animation and he will typically just pass out of it. In 2K you have to restrict position altogether; not easy to do but the challenge seems realistic.

Are there obvious exploits that can be used over and over?
Havent noticed a money play except the Bullshizz crossover in NBA 09 (moves you like 5 feet laterally with no cooldown).

Are there a lot of new sigs and shots for players, how does kobe look?
2K- lots of new animations... they look great and you will notice many in the course of a game. Also they will be adding new animation to the game via patch afetr release. Kobe in Live looks good... 2K just ehhh

Have you noticed the CPU CONTROLLED team's playing different styles and running team specific sets in NBA2K9?

Sort of but maybe not to the same extent that I was expecting having heard 2K developers talk about this. When I played Portland yesterday they worked Brandon Roy quite a bit on dribble penetration, went occasionally to Oden in the post. When I played Golden State they seemed to spot up shoot a lot more.

According to 2K each indiviual player has their own IQ that should be consistent with how they play in real life. Their example= a Rasheed Wallace will not pick and roll because he's more interested in stroking a 3.

I'll have to play more to see if this applies to other teams as well

on a nasty dunk..... does the player scream?
2K- Yes... well... more like open his mouth as if he would scream but no noise comes out.

Is the commentary changed finally and does Kevin Harlan still sound like he is sleeping when he is talking about certain teams/players
2K9 - He sound's just like he did last year. There are some new audio bits (mostly with regards to team breakdowns and their outlook for this year). The highlights and commentary in between quarters is spot on and is done very well

Are their better collision dunk-ons in 2k9 than last year?

Haven't seen a pure posterization yet... most times the area near the rim is clear or the defender hs jumped up to contest the shot. If there are, I haven't seen one yet

Does 2k9 have a timer during timeouts so you know by when you have to submit your lineup changes?
yes... 60 secs for full timeout and 20 for a 20. Its clearly shown but the subing tool kinda sux so it takes longer than it should to swap players.

based on purely gameplay...overall which game of the three would you say is leading the pack?
I really wanted to see a closer race between Live and 2K this year and a few months back I thought this might be the year Live is better. Live, although they fixed the getting pulled out of bounds animation, their lock-on D always involves magnetizing the offensive player. Then there is the clipping issues. Those 2 are deal breakers for me because even when you look like you have a step on the defender, you dont.... and even when it looks like your playing perfect defense, apparently you arent... 2K hands down

New trailer on Monday, game is released October 7th in the US.

New pics - http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/nba2k9/images.html

Last edited:

I've just watched the official trailer (2ksports.com, YouTube etc) and it is truely amazing, their are so many awesome bits crammed into it, sports game of the year confirmed!!!

Steve Nash's scoop lay up looks lovely.

The crowd is amazing.

I'm playing 2K6, I have to get a new basketball game now :).

The internet-enabled console age has been very, very good to sports gamers. Take 2K Sports' upcoming basketball title, NBA 2K9. They've just announced a Living Rosters feature for the title that will enable the game to download up-to-date statistics, player ratings, and player behaviors as the NBA season progresses. Nothing new, sure, but when you take into account the fact that they'll be releasing special animations for key players who breakout during the season you get something extremely close to awesome.

Just imagine your favorite player starts taking off, making a real name for themselves in the game. Kids on the playgrounds (they still have those, right?) start mimicking their moves, the team they're in becomes a showcase for their talents. The Living Roster system will allow 2K to deliver their moves into the game, changing as often as the whims of the hardcore basketball crowd. Of course some of us won't be satisfied until we get real-time facial hair growth, but it's a good start.

Back
Top Bottom