PES 2011 Discussion thread

I've had a couple moments where I've managed to stay away from defenders w/ Jovetic etc, but it's so so rare.

It can't be denied that it's a problem.

I play as spurs alot online in quick matchs and lennon as got to be one of the quickest players with the ball or quicker without it but defenders always seem to catch him if they get close to him then the stumble ing motion kicks in and hes bent over for what seems ages.

Just a quickie with regards the 'Catch-up' bug. I played an MLO game last night, my opponent had Wright-Phillips on the right wing. He turned my SB on the half-way line and just ran. He kept tapping the sprint button and could I hell catch him. My SB is Torosidis, and he isnt slow himself, but the distance between him and SWP remained constant, from the halfway line right till the byline when he whipped in a cross. I cant remember seeing this before, but I remained two yards behind SWP running half the length of the pitch. Interesting.

He's a speed merchant isn't he? These players aren't affected by the catchup bug in the same way. Give Scholes the speed merchant card and he'd probably be a nightmare to catch!

The problem with that damn card in 2011 is it gives you so much speed as well as agility with the ball. The actual speed should be determined by stats and the card should just be giving you the close touches and turning agility while at full tilt.

Guys - I might have asked this before but does the European version of PES 11 on Xbox have multiple commentary languages? Just wondering if I bought one from Italy and had it sent to Australia whether I would get Italian AND English commentary as an option? Or whether it would be one or the other...and if I could change the menu settings to be in English.

Guys - I might have asked this before but does the European version of PES 11 on Xbox have multiple commentary languages? Just wondering if I bought one from Italy and had it sent to Australia whether I would get Italian AND English commentary as an option? Or whether it would be one or the other...and if I could change the menu settings to be in English.

I have the Latin American version and it just gives me Portuguese and Spanish,I don't know about the European version.And menus and game language will change depending on what country your gamertag is set in.

I think you'll have to deal with italian menus.

One thing I hope they change is this:

When a shot comes in and the keeper parries it, say out to the goal line, 6 yards past the post, I hate it when an SS or WF dives and headers from 1 foot out and the ball bullets straight into the net from a completely unrealistic angle and trajectory

So annoying, could not possibly happen in real life

He's a speed merchant isn't he? These players aren't affected by the catchup bug in the same way. Give Scholes the speed merchant card and he'd probably be a nightmare to catch!

The problem with that damn card in 2011 is it gives you so much speed as well as agility with the ball. The actual speed should be determined by stats and the card should just be giving you the close touches and turning agility while at full tilt.

Ah, maybe that's it. I dont keep note of Speed Merchants, they aren't my bag. I thought he was just tapping sprint on every touch ? I guess he was probably just holding it down.

I have the Latin American version and it just gives me Portuguese and Spanish,I don't know about the European version.And menus and game language will change depending on what country your gamertag is set in.

I think you'll have to deal with italian menus.

Thanks mate. I think you can change menu language in the settings but not commentary.

Playing my ML campaign and the game has literally gone mental. The first one and a half seasons I've enjoyed a great ML, with balanced, realistic games. In season 2, I went into the January transfer window, and when the season restarted the AI, in every match so far, has gone crazy. It's turned from a realistic game of football to a load of shite resembling basketball, all because of how the AI has suddenly decided to start playing.

First up are absolutely crazy AI formations. I'm talking starting the game and my opponents have 8 at the back, no midfield, and two strikers. Or, as I'll show now, I played a league match vs Bordeaux and they had FIVE strikers, all in a line, up front. The AI then proceed to pressure spam you to ridiculous levels, just running into my players at full sprint speed. They NEVER stop sprinting, and the crazy formations are succeeding in flooding out the play. Bordeaux, for example, position all their players across an area in the middle of the pitch, then sprint in massive groups, and it's impossible to play against. When they win the ball, you literally see a line of 5 players all sprinting up the pitch in formation. It looks pathetically ridiculous, resembling nothing to do with the sport.

Because of this, my last four straight matches have turned into some awful representation of basketball with me desperately defending against a crazy forward line all sprinting at you, trying to get on the end of the AI spamming the through pass, then I win it and am forced to sprint myself, and release the ball quickly to prevent being hounded out by marauding AI players in packs of 3, 4, or 5, all ready to knock you over. So the AI forces you to play the same, and it becomes a horrible mess of end to end play that frankly does look like basketball or ice hockey.

It's ruining my ML. I imagine I've increased the ability of my team to a point now where the AI deems it fit to 'ramp up' the difficulty on Top Player even further. Either way, I now have ZERO time on the ball, the dribbling mechanics have stopped working (nothing counteracts the AI running into you at full speed and taking the ball, literally nothing).

Here's a good example; my first player has the ball, and is persued by two defenders. I'm gonna get caught and knocked over, so I have to release the ball early. I am now surrounded by SEVEN players. So I have to release the ball early again, and by the time the next guy brings the ball under control, he too is now surrounded by seven players and is about to be knocked over by FOUR players simultaneously. It's complete fucking lunacy.

YouTube - 060811 2028

The next clip, I have no option other than to play the ball square, and again, two players are right down my throat the moment I gather the ball. I get hounded off the ball, and watch as the AI players all run in a line across the pitch in formation, like some kind of charging herd. It looks bizarre and stupid. Then, as I win the ball back, it bypasses all of the AI players, they turn round, then start sprinting back again, ready to surround and hound you out. Then they'll get the ball back, and charge up the pitch like this again. I've never seen this in football, it's nothing like the sport whatsoever, and it's completely fucking ruining my ML all of a sudden.

YouTube - 060811 2029

I've never seen the AI behave this way before, maybe I'm winning too many matches for it's liking and has resorted to effectively cheating to try and win games.

Anyone else find this or is it just me? :CONFUSE:

Nope, you're bang on the money LT. ML actually does get artificially harder. The game will speed up, and it feels like the game is having its way with you. The CPU will also adjust its tactics to counter yours if you continue to use the same formation, but you can easily just change player support and support range to make your players play closer or farther apart.

Don't worry man, you're not just tripping balls.

Can someone confirm or contact someone who knows if superstar difficulty is also evident in 2 player mode= human vs human?

what about online, online should be on hardest difficulty.

Nope, you're bang on the money LT. ML actually does get artificially harder. The game will speed up, and it feels like the game is having its way with you. The CPU will also adjust its tactics to counter yours if you continue to use the same formation, but you can easily just change player support and support range to make your players play closer or farther apart.

Don't worry man, you're not just tripping balls.

Yeah I think that's Teamvision right there! use the same formation over and over again and the cpu will adapt. Of course you can totally screw it over by changing formation and it will need some games to read you again.

Good to know it's not just me then, thought the teamvision thing has just adopted ludicrously unrealistic tactics to counteract my regular looking formation. Six strikers all in a line? You bet.

And yeah the game has sped up suddenly, even with my players too, which is rubbish. But I e never seen such high levels of AI pressuring, 7 or 8 players at once and near on man marking, it's crazy. If the AI continues to cheat like this I'll ha e to drop the difficulty because it's not fun like this.

I just don't get why the game speed has increased. Even my players now zip the ball around miles faster than before, which doesn't look right. And these changes are making games play like counter attacking basketball games at high speed. A complete change of gameplay.

Well that teamvision is not very logical at times. For me, the ML speed just speeds up as I buy more powerful players. Which is a bit of a shame because it feels just perfect at first

Good to know it's not just me then, thought the teamvision thing has just adopted ludicrously unrealistic tactics to counteract my regular looking formation. Six strikers all in a line? You bet.

And yeah the game has sped up suddenly, even with my players too, which is rubbish. But I e never seen such high levels of AI pressuring, 7 or 8 players at once and near on man marking, it's crazy. If the AI continues to cheat like this I'll ha e to drop the difficulty because it's not fun like this.

I just don't get why the game speed has increased. Even my players now zip the ball around miles faster than before, which doesn't look right. And these changes are making games play like counter attacking basketball games at high speed. A complete change of gameplay.

I usually use the Offensive/Defensive ball possession Strategy duo when the CPU or another player is pressing like this. It gives you more options to pass.

I can't believe how much better the demo of PES 2011 is than the retail version. So much smoother, the players don't turn sluggish, the tempo is better (a bit slower), the referee is better... everything is better actually. What happened between the demo and the release last year???

I actually much prefer to play the demo than my master league right now!

Tempo is great in the finished version apart from when you improve your team to certain level, then the AI goes insane and speeds up the gameplay. It's crazy, and no-one has ever mentioned it before! Sorry for the double post above btw, damn iPhone posting twice! :)

Tempo is great in the finished version apart from when you improve your team to certain level, then the AI goes insane and speeds up the gameplay. It's crazy, and no-one has ever mentioned it before! Sorry for the double post above btw, damn iPhone posting twice! :)

Well the tempo isn't the biggest difference to be honest. The gameplay is just so much more free and the response times are way better in the demo. Of course a lot of the bad things with PES 2011 is there but everybody should try the demo again. You will see and feel the difference in a few seconds.

Well well... 2012 is soon here but I recommend to try the 2011 demo again. Great gameplay actually! :)

Nothing but contempt for this game now. The scripting and lack of control is more apparent than ever. Absolutely every single problem with the game came up and punched me in the face, costing me goals and leading to defeats against some of the most banal and unimaginative players possible.

God I hope the 2012 demo comes nice and early this year.

Nothing but contempt for this game now. The scripting and lack of control is more apparent than ever. Absolutely every single problem with the game came up and punched me in the face, costing me goals and leading to defeats against some of the most banal and unimaginative players possible.

Yeah I can understand that when having played 2012 there is no going back. I both envy you and at the same time I don't since I can understand that 2011 is unplayable for you now :)

Just wanted to point out that a lot of the problems with 2011 where "thrown in" at the last minute last year. The demo was actually better in may ways. Hopefully they will trust their product this year and don't change too much in the last minute since the previews seems very positive this year.

same here m8!
the game does get on your nerves when playing for long periods.
the bt that pisses me off the most is the ai of your team mates especially the part when they run away from the ball when its next to them and as for the player switching dont go there AArgh!
and the collision detection and bias towards the main teams etc. etc. etc.

The funny thing I've noticed lately is that there are a lot of fouls that actually go un-called by the ref. Players tripping under a challenge. Looks very realistic in terms of referees making inconsistent calls. Sometimes the player seems to have dived but there is real contact.

What I hate though is the unresponsiveness sometimes. Like you press the sprint button and it takes a second to register. Almost like a button lag. I'm sure it's the game and not my TV. Only seems to happen on certain actions. Kind of like the stop start thing that happens with players who pass the ball then stop dead. Is this kinda responsiveness improved Rom?

Yeah it's the game, I find an occasional problem, in offline ML, where you sometimes charge up the pass or shoot button and the charge bar remains under the player, but he doesn't actually do anything for ages. It's only occasional but very noticeable, resulting in either being tackled or a player actually shoots about 3 or 4 seconds after you pressed the button.

I've really enjoyed a co-op ML recently, nearly at the end of the second season having started with Coventry with the ML defaults.

Ended up winning D2 and the FA Cup in the first season, mainly due to Schwarz, Palmieri and Shimizu from the youth team who are all quality players, as well as bringing in Donati, Mater and Capuano.
In the second season, a regen Thierry Henry was brought in, but he's been struggling to find the net, whilst Schwarz is a goal machine, comfortably in the top half so far.

@LTFC - The AI in those videos isn't the best, but I do think your loss of possession is your own fault.

The first video is - sprint forwards, pass forwards, touch sideways, pass forwards, touch forwards, possession lost.

In the second video, there was no space to dribble into with that second touch, that's giving the ball away, those runs by the AI players were laughable though, but at the end of it you have a great chance to counter.

An absolutely key component of the game is to protect the ball, play with your back to goal and take your first touch into space and you'll have much more time on the ball.
If you show too much of the ball to the opponent, of course you're going to be hounded off it in an instant.

When actually running at a defender head-on trying to skin them, I find that using one of the simple tricks like the shoulder feint or ball lift can be very effective, as well as the R2 sidesteps.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO LTFC IS 100% right. What a fantastic work my firend, great videos, great examples.

This sums up what I had been experienced in MLO, and now i don't feel any excitement to play it again. It's just insane!

If CPU press you like hell and you can't even take more than two touchs on the ball, now imagine playing against people online.. they all want to win with all cust no matter how, so everything feels even worse. They don't care about playing a fair and realistic game.

As soon as your player controls the ball and take a second touch to turn one player, there's another fucking player (sometimens there are more than 2) right there to steal the ball so easily, and they will tackle from behind or from any position and no foul will be rewarded for you. Plus, in online matchs the ballphysics on passing are faster and bit more on rails (it always goes straight to playrs feet) and evrything feels easier, through balls are so boring to defend against, players are more lazzy and are not aware of what is happenning around them, partially due to regular ai, and the bugs are more frequent than ever.

Weeks ago I had some fun playing online but not anymore, i'm tired of all that insane pressure and not being rewarded for playing the way i'd like to play (slow build up with more time on th ball, more lateral passes, creating spaces by my own efforts and intelligence, with some realism and skills).

I also experienced that stupid and weird positining problem on attack. I even said that some few days ago about that problem with the defence line and my attackers hidden behind the line and stucked, no move, no options to pass. It must be a bug lol.

Right now i feel i need so badly a fresh new football game, and that's pes 2012. I had some great moments with pes 2011, a great game a month ago, definetly a huge improvent compared to what PES games have been these years, it's the game that brought me back to PES series, but i just can't stand it's issues, bugs and the fact that defending feels skilles.

Last edited:
same here m8!
the game does get on your nerves when playing for long periods.
the bt that pisses me off the most is the ai of your team mates especially the part when they run away from the ball when its next to them and as for the player switching dont go there AArgh!
and the collision detection and bias towards the main teams etc. etc. etc.

That kind of bugs make me so angry. I had been experienced thess problems so often besides the insane pressure.

I can no longer stand the fact that i'm simply unable to just move onto the ball and control it and also being unable to anticipate and intercept a bad pass from my opponent, and this problem makes the game so noob friendly.

I had enough with pes 2011. It lasted almost one year, so it was a great game, but it had it's annoying moments a bit too often.

I see what you say Rob, but in those videos I was basically being forced to move the ball forwards because I had barely enough time to control it. Shielding, keeping possession etc are all things I do make sure to do, and my build up is usually quite slow. However for a period during ML it went crazy and forced me to get rid as soon as I'd controlled the ball. Shielding suddenly didn't work, they'd just run into you and knock you off the ball, and retaining the ball wasn't an option because you'd get surrounded by 3, 4, 5, or even 6 players within a couple of seconds of getting the ball.

Unfortunetly that's the gameplay online for me.

Playing in high tempo and passing forward with one twos and some first touchs (wich is very unrealistic) seems to be not only the only option you have (otherwise you will be raped by the pressure whores, if want to keep possession), but also the best option as the Ai (regular) is bad and the passing is easier and ballphysics have that artificial speed.

Very sad...

The game could definitely do with a more intelligent shielding system, stricter refs and better collisions - of course there's the odd occasion where you lose the ball when you shouldn't, but generally it's from your own mistake.

If the pitch is getting congested or you're being pressured a lot, switch the ball to the other flank, pull teams around and use the gaps you create.

I certainly don't buy into the whole "ML gets artificially harder/cheats" conclusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing my ML campaign and the game has literally gone mental. The first one and a half seasons I've enjoyed a great ML, with balanced, realistic games. In season 2, I went into the January transfer window, and when the season restarted the AI, in every match so far, has gone crazy. It's turned from a realistic game of football to a load of shite resembling basketball, all because of how the AI has suddenly decided to start playing.

First up are absolutely crazy AI formations. I'm talking starting the game and my opponents have 8 at the back, no midfield, and two strikers. Or, as I'll show now, I played a league match vs Bordeaux and they had FIVE strikers, all in a line, up front. The AI then proceed to pressure spam you to ridiculous levels, just running into my players at full sprint speed. They NEVER stop sprinting, and the crazy formations are succeeding in flooding out the play. Bordeaux, for example, position all their players across an area in the middle of the pitch, then sprint in massive groups, and it's impossible to play against. When they win the ball, you literally see a line of 5 players all sprinting up the pitch in formation. It looks pathetically ridiculous, resembling nothing to do with the sport.

Because of this, my last four straight matches have turned into some awful representation of basketball with me desperately defending against a crazy forward line all sprinting at you, trying to get on the end of the AI spamming the through pass, then I win it and am forced to sprint myself, and release the ball quickly to prevent being hounded out by marauding AI players in packs of 3, 4, or 5, all ready to knock you over. So the AI forces you to play the same, and it becomes a horrible mess of end to end play that frankly does look like basketball or ice hockey.

It's ruining my ML. I imagine I've increased the ability of my team to a point now where the AI deems it fit to 'ramp up' the difficulty on Top Player even further. Either way, I now have ZERO time on the ball, the dribbling mechanics have stopped working (nothing counteracts the AI running into you at full speed and taking the ball, literally nothing).

Here's a good example; my first player has the ball, and is persued by two defenders. I'm gonna get caught and knocked over, so I have to release the ball early. I am now surrounded by SEVEN players. So I have to release the ball early again, and by the time the next guy brings the ball under control, he too is now surrounded by seven players and is about to be knocked over by FOUR players simultaneously. It's complete fucking lunacy.

YouTube - 060811 2028

The next clip, I have no option other than to play the ball square, and again, two players are right down my throat the moment I gather the ball. I get hounded off the ball, and watch as the AI players all run in a line across the pitch in formation, like some kind of charging herd. It looks bizarre and stupid. Then, as I win the ball back, it bypasses all of the AI players, they turn round, then start sprinting back again, ready to surround and hound you out. Then they'll get the ball back, and charge up the pitch like this again. I've never seen this in football, it's nothing like the sport whatsoever, and it's completely fucking ruining my ML all of a sudden.

YouTube - 060811 2029

I've never seen the AI behave this way before, maybe I'm winning too many matches for it's liking and has resorted to effectively cheating to try and win games.

Anyone else find this or is it just me? :CONFUSE:

Im playing 3rd year in ML and its now much more harder... i use to score much more than now... i thought i just had bad day or something, but this been the same for a week now!
So maybe you are right ;)

Back
Top Bottom