PES 2011 Discussion thread

Have i been living under a rock the past year? never understood why i bought the ps3 just for pes when you can have pes on the pc which plays millions times better and smoother. The first thing that came to mind was downloading the fifa commentary. after that tried a patch...made by SMoKE. This game is perfect now. and only cost me 20 euro's.

Anyway... i haven't tried online. does anyone know if i get banned for using SMoKE and FIFA commentary?

Maybe it's worth just enjoying all the offline modes on PC and playing PS for online. Not sure on the patches affecting online playability but I think they might only improve the offline gameplay so even if you can play online, maybe the game will feel different?

Did you buy the game on PC or download it? There's a store in the UK that I can buy it from (I'm in Australia) but I'm guessing it's about 5 gigs?

Also, I think I will wait until the new game comes out and decide whether to buy a cheap PES 2011 on PC and mod it with the patches and roster updates or just buy PES 12 on Xbox, then maybe PC.

Maybe it's worth just enjoying all the offline modes on PC and playing PS for online. Not sure on the patches affecting online playability but I think they might only improve the offline gameplay so even if you can play online, maybe the game will feel different?

Did you buy the game on PC or download it? There's a store in the UK that I can buy it from (I'm in Australia) but I'm guessing it's about 5 gigs?

Also, I think I will wait until the new game comes out and decide whether to buy a cheap PES 2011 on PC and mod it with the patches and roster updates or just buy PES 12 on Xbox, then maybe PC.

Hi,

i did say in my post that i bought it for 20 euro's. I do want to play online, but don't want to risk of getting banned. so must know for sure. i don't think the SMoKE patch did anything to gameplay. i did play it before i patched it and it feels the same. But pc version is much better, i can tell you that. no idea why i bought an ps3.

I used to patch PES5 and PES6 for PC and play them online, even editing the online database to get updated transfers (Konami never released January updates back then) and the .exe files for emblems and never got banned.

Konami (or anyone for that matter) never seem to ban anyone from online gaming... I've reported countless people on Xbox Live for cheating/being racist/offensive and nothing was done I don't think...

Re: the PC version being better... That's your opinion, personally I prefer to sit back on a comfy sofa in front of a TV to play my games rather than sit on a computer chair looking at a monitor... But let's not start this discussion as it's endless :).

I don't want to argue but i would like to hear why? do you play xbox or ps3? I never said console i said ps3. today played the xbox version at a friends house and trust me xbox and pc are much better than ps3.

my pc is next to my tv. just a matter of plugging in the hdmi cable.

When I asked if you downloaded the game - I meant by purchasing it online and downloading it rather than buying it in a shop on a proper DVD. I didn't mean an illegal download. Anyway I checked again on the website and it told me how many gig the download was and approximate download time.

Nice setup - if I could put the computer next to the TV with a HDMI cable and a wireless keyboard, controller, that's what I would do also. So much easier to patch/edit on PC. But I still like Xbox for online and when mates come over.

You do know you can connect your PC to your big screen, and still be on the sofa ;)

I agree, i havent mentioned this before, but during the last few weeks i decided to hook mine up to my Samsung 58" and i am now using a usb extension on my keyboard with the mouse connected to the keyboard. cant imagine why i didnt do it sooner.

I don't want to argue but i would like to hear why? do you play xbox or ps3? I never said console i said ps3. today played the xbox version at a friends house and trust me xbox and pc are much better than ps3.

my pc is next to my tv. just a matter of plugging in the hdmi cable.
Hmm that's strange...
I own the game on 360 and one of my mates owns it on PS3 - I've played both versions a lot and have noticed very little difference, except that the 360 version may be a little sharper/more responsive, certainly not a lot in it anyway.

You do know you can connect your PC to your big screen, and still be on the sofa ;)
My PC is the other side of the house ;).

I knew it could be done, but still, I don't know anyone who actually does it (in fact, I don't even know someone who plays games on PC rather than consoles...) and it would probably be awkward compared to a console which is built to be used from the comfort of your sofa with a controller :).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got my PS3 and PC hooked up to the TV, with a 360 wireless receiver in the PC so I can use a 360 controller. Just like playing a console game really.

I've got my PS3 and PC hooked up to the TV, with a 360 wireless receiver in the PC so I can use a 360 controller. Just like playing a console game really.

Thanks for that Dags, i didnt realise the wireless ones were supported for pc. Sorry for the off topic,maybe we should get back on track. :))

It's almost impossible to play if you come from FIFA. I haven't relearned the game yet, it's really hard to dribble and use R2. I find it easier to play WE9LE. I think PES 2011 is really hardcore in how you time everything in dribbling/jogging with the ball. R2 has completely changed since the older games, I don't know how to use it properly.

It is all about timing. Also, lay off the sprint button. Only use the left stick. You'll get the hang of it. It can be frustrating tho.

i will say one last thing about pes 2011, today i downloaded the demo of pes 2011, and strange indeed with this instalment that i will never forget is that the demo is so smooth and relaxing, the demo of pes 2011 should have been actual gameplay, this year pes 2011 has been so wierd that iv never spent so much though on a game ever in my life, well that just shows the obsession i have for pes, as iv stated and i will again clearly setting myself for the next instalment, for people who ask about pes 2011 i can only say just play the demo of 2011, and that the full game never come out and shine like the demo, thanks for putting up with me see you soon with pes 2012

I downloaded it on PC the other day also. There's a lot to like about the Demo. Shame the actual game isnt exactly the same. Having said that, there's still a lot to like about PES 2011 in my opinion. I'm enjoying the game still and by the sounds of it, PES 2012 should be even better.

It is all about timing. Also, lay off the sprint button. Only use the left stick. You'll get the hang of it. It can be frustrating tho.

Grabbed some games with friends last night.
1. The most frustrating thing with PES 2011 dribbling is this : less skilled dribbler takes ages to turn, what the...:RANT: Very bad representation of dribbling.
i'd prefer it is just slightly slower from for example arshavin but the ball itself which is harder to be kept or further from their foot :SMUG:

I feel the need to rant again.:JAY:
2. Shooting, in some cases where player may be underpressure or lets say not in the good position for shooting, the ball too floaty

3. Lofted through ball
Floaty

4. Passing animation
Dribble, pass, Freeze, run/jog again. Crossing animation very bad.

5. Collision
When a player get stand tackle, both of them will freeze than run again for the ball.

6. Team mate awareness
y u no get out of ma way :FAIL: the field is wide enough

7. Ball physic
fluctuates 7 m/s2 - 12 m/s2 of gravity :YAWN:

8. Dribbling animation (sprint one)
It mostly happen with good dribbler in such when sprinting the animation shows one foot is animated to knock the ball ahead but what happen is the ball knocked with the other :FAIL:

9. Referee
:JAY:

10. Overall animation
Start-stop-start-stop... like in heading situation

It is beyond me why konami does not seem to appreciate the PES6/PES 2010 in terms of fluidity of gameplay. ffs, I just could not enjoy limited direction when dribbling in previous version.

Okay im gonna install newest pesedit patch to play some more, since i still find pato trying to make a good shoot with perfect animation with great ball physic, cheers :BYE:

ps:loving edited scoreboards :BOP:

Last edited:
Had the strangest experience on this game, played FC Porto over two legs and lost the tie 5-3 on aggregate, but over the two games I totalled up the shots count because it began to get ridiculous how good their keeper was and how useless mine was.

Anyways, over two games I managed a total of 61 shots, 47 on target and that were saved, compared to Porto's total of just 6 shots on target. My keeper failed to save all but one of their shots, whereas their keeper saved 44 shots including some impossible saves.

When the game decides your gonna lose, your gonna lose.

I also think I've discovered a pretty horrific bug in the game. When the AI performs a through pass that goes at a certain angle, and too close to my keeper but across his body, he doesn't try and use his hands. He kind of lazily wanders over to the ball and somehow doesn't react to it, leaving the striker with an empty net. It's happened three times in recent games, and it's really pissing me off. No matter how good a keeper you sign, they rarely ever save anything, probably to try and even up the scores a little and allow the AI to actually score considering they rarely manage to attack with any kind of sustained pressure or shots on goal.

This side of the game is utterly useless.

Had the strangest experience on this game, played FC Porto over two legs and lost the tie 5-3 on aggregate, but over the two games I totalled up the shots count because it began to get ridiculous how good their keeper was and how useless mine was.

Anyways, over two games I managed a total of 61 shots, 47 on target and that were saved, compared to Porto's total of just 6 shots on target. My keeper failed to save all but one of their shots, whereas their keeper saved 44 shots including some impossible saves.

I also think I've discovered a pretty horrific bug in the game. When the AI performs a through pass that goes at a certain angle, and too close to my keeper but across his body, he doesn't try and use his hands. He kind of lazily wanders over to the ball and somehow doesn't react to it, leaving the striker with an empty net. It's happened three times in recent games, and it's really pissing me off. No matter how good a keeper you sign, they rarely ever save anything, probably to try and even up the scores a little and allow the AI to actually score considering they rarely manage to attack with any kind of sustained pressure or shots on goal.

Ouch! :SHOCK: Not good. Thats only happened to me once with a Champions League game vs Basel, they had 2 shots all game and i had 30 but could score. Realized though i was panicking when shooting and i need to use the R1 short chip when 1 on 1 more like Jimmy does.

Which team where you btw?

I dont buy that LT, never felt that. It is what it is, and I'm sure as hell certain it felt that way. Just like real-life, regardless of those high stats, sometimes you will just never win as long as there is a hole in your ass. That's football.

The game definitely does seem to decide you should have a blinder or a mare. Certainly at the moment the online PES god has put a hex on me. So laggy, jumpy, and resultantly the passes are going stupidly astray and utterly basic stuff goes hopelessly wrong while cunt after cunt plays the same triple O game. So depressing.

PES 2011 is probably coming out the PS3 for the final time now. I enjoyed the first 3 months absolutely loads, the next 3 months were sparse but kind of fun, but now the online experience is pretty appalling, and the shortcomings of the gameplay are being heavily accentuated. PES 2012 and net code that likes Virgin Media can't come soon enough.

Nothing worse than a shitty online experience, whether that be bellends with a pad or laggy conditions that completely ruin the experience. Or even worse, both. :(

The problem I had with LT initial's statement is that he has played lord knows how many games offline, and this is probably the only real instance where he feels massively hard done by. You get them, it doesnt mean it's coded like that. PES in my genuine honest opinion, has never cheated in that regard, ever.

Last edited:
Re: Player and Team Name?

Does anybody have a file that can be downloaded with all the real players and team names? Thanks in advance

Nothing worse than a shitty online experience, whether that be bellends with a pad or laggy conditions that completely ruin the experience. Or even worse, both. :(

The problem I had with LT initial's statement is that he has played lord knows how many games offline, and this is probably the only real instance where he feels massively hard done by. You get them, it doesnt mean it's coded like that. PES in my genuine honest opinion, has never cheated in that regard, ever.

Well we may just have to agree to disagree on that, I'm not claiming the game has some bizarre conspiracy to cheat or anything, just that it occasionally throws in these things that, like you say, to an extent do happen sometimes in real life for sure. Just a bit frustrating that it chooses to do it during a semi final over both legs.

Honestly can't say it was down to poor finishing or anything like that, the keeper pulled off some sensational saves - point blank dives low to his left/right, plucking shots destined for the top corners at pace etc. Sure, some of them I should have scored and put wide, or just did a bad miss, but lots of shots were simply unbelievable saves. Then the AI goes up the other end of the pitch and hits a weak shot very close to my keeper and he dives over the top of the ball, or doesn't attempt to save the shot at all. That sort of stuff kind of makes you suspicious it's just a lousy attempt at the game trying to replicate difficulty.

Just annoys me that I never seem to play a game where the AI is foiled repeatedly by my keeper pulling blinding saves left right and centre, then I go up and score with every shot I hit no matter how weak or inaccurate. Never happens. I'd say, even with a 80+ rated keeper, he only saves about one in every 2-3 shots at least. Mostly if I want to keep a clean sheet I need to reduce the game to having next to no efforts, which is not the case at the other end of the pitch.

Not knocking the game in general, just expressing an annoyance that feels a bit artificial to me. Like I said, it wouldn't feel artificial if the old 'it's just not my day' feeling happened in yours and the AI's favour on occasions, because that'd be what happens in real life. Every team has a day where nothing goes right, but they also have lucky games as well. This doesn't happen in PES for me at any rate, either I win because I clearly deserved to, or often lose because their keeper is invincible and my keeper next to useless having dominated the game. Shame I can't ever come away from a defeat against the AI feeling I've been outplayed, been under pressure and even deserved to lose by more goals, but that never happens. Losses against the AI are always as a result of impossible to beat AI keepers and mine letting the ball roll past him like he doesn't know it's there. It may sound odd but I'd prefer that the AI was good enough to out-football a human opponent, but it doesn't. 99% of the time, the AI will soak up ridiculous amounts of pressure, sometimes impossibly get away without conceding, then score with their only shot of the match. Happens in real life, but not every defeat happens in this manner. And every football fan will know this is the worst kind of defeat - dominating matches then losing to an unfair sucker punch.

Last edited:
I'm desperately anticipating PES2012, as 2011 is becoming (well, it's long since become) almost unplayable.

My gripes with it are innumerable and possibly petty, but I can't bear to play it sometimes.

Some random grievances...

You quite simply have no option but to pass. If you try and dribble for more than a few moments you're invariably caught and nudged off of the ball with ease (often by a player of vastly inferior speed and body balance). Moreover, if you have a player with great agility, obviously you try to use it to your advantage. So you'll run one way, get the defender sprinting alongside you, then turn back, leaving them to take a few moments to stop before having to turn themselves and re-accelerate to catch you. In PES2011 however, the very [i[instant[/i] you press to turn, the defender stops, as though when you pressed R2 to stop, you were controlling them, as well as your own player. Often by the time you've actually turned around, they've already stopped, turned, started running again, and waiting for you. Coupled with their ability to slide along the ground on the soles of their feet, often several yards, and to have the ball magnetically bonded to their feet (they often nudge it away from you without even touching it have you all noticed?), dribbling is almost impossible and almost always infuriatingly unfair.

Another gripe - given our only option then is to pass, why is there a bizarre physics at play here too? Sometimes I'll pass to a teammate with his back turned to a defender, thus shielding the ball to control it, yet still the defender can somehow touch the ball through my player's body, forcing him to miscontrol it and thus lose possession. This is absolutely maddening. The game forces you to pass constantly with its alien AI abilities of instant-stopping and catching, yet then when you pass, the AI can still win the ball even when you deliberately use a player's body to shield the ball.

A sidenote - despite the fact that all it takes for the AI to run you off the ball is an absolutely minimal level of contact, nudging you off the ball, the same is not true when you are defending. Often the opposition will withstand the pressure of upto three of my players and still be able to make a pass. When I try the same, even under pressure from one defender, let alone three, I either jerk through space, slightly to the side, thus missing the ball completely, or I can only play a feeble, pathetically weak pass that trickles about a yard ahead. This is ridiculous. In real life, someone merely standing beside you does not whatsoever prevent you from making a pass with a competent amount of pace.

Moreover, the defenders run so close to your players, so close their legs are often interwining (or rather, passing through one another, as is possible in this bizarre realm). If a defender ran that close in real life the man in possession would undoubtedly be fouled.

The same absurd 'weak-pass-when-under-the-slightest-amount-of-pressure' effect is found with shooting too. This time however, when under any pressure, even a defender standing behind you, the ball doesn't roll away weakly as it does with passes, rather, it floats up in a feeble arc to be easily caught by even the worst of goalkeepers.

In some unrelated moaning, the opposition AI often exhibit some truly bizarre anomalies. Stoke for instace. They have the tactic that dictates that they play long balls forward. A side effect of this however, is that they ping long passes around all areas of the pitch. This is fine that they should attempt to do so, but Stoke are not renowned for their footballing quality. Yet, the other day, I was pressuring a full back on the right wing, deep in his own half. He was facing the touchline on the right side and then, in one swivelling motion, he spun on the spot and smashed a long pass forward and to the opposite wing, probably about a 60 yard pass I mean, and it lands right at his teammates feet. It was a serious WTF moment. I then looked at the players long pass stats, absolutely baffled as to how he could have done that. Long pass accuracy 72, long pass speed 68. HOW is that sufficient to play passes like that.

Mentioning the swivelling, I absolutely hate the opposition AI's ability to clear any pass, whether the ball is still or moving, even when they themselves are running, with an instant 180 degree swivel on the spot clearance. It's ridiculous. In real life you'd play these difficult through balls forcing the defender to run and thus have an incredibly difficult time trying to defend. In PES2011 however, these passes, designed to trouble defenders, are no problem whatsoever because they have this inhuman ability.

One more. When teams play long balls, the target man, whoever it is, has another inhuman ability - they can flick on literally any pass. No matter which direction the ball is travelling, they go into this absurd animation (I'm sure you've seen it) where they lift their leg and sort of swing it horizontally, sending the ball in any angle, even directly behind them. This completely irrealistic tendency is made all the worse by the fact that your defender will just stand and squat slightly by their side, making no effort to trouble them or win the ball. Even if you super cancel and jump for the header, the opposition will enter into a series of pinpoint headers, pinballing around with astounding accuracy. The exact opposite of reality where headers from long balls are often inaccurate, and almost never exactly to a teammate. Nor in real life do attackers win the lions share of these aerial battles. Teams like Stoke play countless long balls, in the hope of just a few being won by the attackers in order to create goal-scoring opportunities. Defenders invariably win these types of pass, yet the opposite is true in PES2011.

Phew... Sorry for the shocking length and rage there - I only intended to mention a few things, but the ball got rolling and my frustration with this game snowballed into that mega-post.

Okay so I was playing against Lyon in ML on Top Player last night, and the AI, using Gorcuff, absolutely skinned me with a bit of skill, sending me entirely the wrong way. I was so impressed I watched the replay, and turns out he was dribbling in one direction then did the famous 'Cruyff turn'. I can't find anything in the game's command list, or the right stick skill modifyers, that does this. Anyone have any idea, or is it like the infamous Villa flick you see in the game's demo that randomly happens?

I really wanna know how to do this! :) I've tried using a top player in training and doing R2 turns etc in the opposite direction but he just drags the ball back. Any ideas?

Apart from when the game randomly allows you to change the cursor to the appropriate player, how on earth do you make players attack crosses?

Okay so I was playing against Lyon in ML on Top Player last night, and the AI, using Gorcuff, absolutely skinned me with a bit of skill, sending me entirely the wrong way. I was so impressed I watched the replay, and turns out he was dribbling in one direction then did the famous 'Cruyff turn'. I can't find anything in the game's command list, or the right stick skill modifyers, that does this. Anyone have any idea, or is it like the infamous Villa flick you see in the game's demo that randomly happens?

I really wanna know how to do this! :) I've tried using a top player in training and doing R2 turns etc in the opposite direction but he just drags the ball back. Any ideas?

Sounds cool! I've had one of my players do a little trick where he was changing direction on the edge of the box and he did a little move that's similar to a ronaldo chop but over a much shorter distance. Basically cutting from his right foot to left but behind the back of his foot. Not on the command list that I know of...

One of my pet hates at the moment is that whenever you pass in a direction you're not facing, the player doesn't turn around and pass, he just hits a backheel. WHYYYYY

Back
Top Bottom