PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Yeah pal absolutely!

I did some random match as well time ago and it blew my mind how 2017 AI is so varied and well put togheter. Can't believe what they progressively did to it especially from 19 onwards (18 was super unfair but still acceptable in some measure)
I do not know either why they did this. Agree too on 2018 AI, very allien skilled but not cheap cheating.
But 2017 also has some human AI, this last video with Ibra goal against @PRO_TOO was so human-like punishment!

How does people find PES 2018 compared to 2017? Control wise, it's much smoother and better. However I am not sure about the AI.
Pes 18 is much more smoother,love the Ball physic,the dribbling,think its Shooting is a step up.
Downsides as you know, physicality/midfield is not really there (should be able to fix it)
Also the player switching is better on 17
If Pes 18 had 17s physicality,I'd play that over 17.

How does people find PES 2018 compared to 2017? Control wise, it's much smoother and better. However I am not sure about the AI.

Still decent variety (as far as I can remember) even if less than 2017, but also some robotic difficulty in which lower teams would play godlike.
Physicality and fouls also super botched in 2018.

Yeah in responsesiveness, but also graphically and animations wise 2018 it's a joy and far superior tho.

I agree with Rock. 2018 has smoother control. Basically smoother than anything compared, 2017,2019,2020. With only L -stick, or with l-stick + sprint (R1) , or with l-stick + (R2), or a combination sequence of all of them, it gives so smooth and nice control results!!! Good ball physics also there..

The small minus of 2018, the big gaps between lines and around players and the one touch passes that go laser-guided, even if they are backheel, under pressure, under whatever situation.

The BIG MINUS (for me) the total absence of physicality and body collision under natural rules, it is like they is not any mass at all. I have made some videos about this:

PES 2017 GOOD PHYSICS

PES 2017 GOOD PHYSICS 2

PES 2018 BAD/No PHYSICS

The third video summarises the biggest CONS pes2018 had. every time two player are about to collide, they just auto-reset somehow to their starting positions before the collision. It is like everyone is made of rubber.

P.S.: Just checked now, as i had organised them in a Youtube playlist named "PES physics", my little 2yo son removed from my playlist some pes videos and added some Puppy Dog Pals episode!! :P :P :P

Last edited:
I agree with Rock. 2018 has smoother control. Basically smoother than anything compared, 2017,2019,2020. With only L -stick, or with l-stick + sprint (R1) , or with l-stick + (R2), or a combination sequence of all of them, it gives so smooth and nice control results!!! Good ball physics also there..

The small minus of 2018, the big gaps between lines and around players and the one touch passes that go laser-guided, even if they are backheel, under pressure, under whatever situation.

The BIG MINUS (for me) the total absence of physicality and body collision under natural rules, it is like they is not any mass at all. I have made some videos about this:

PES 2017 GOOD PHYSICS

PES 2017 GOOD PHYSICS 2

PES 2018 BAD/No PHYSICS

The third video summarises the biggest CONS pes2018 had. every time two player are about to collide, they just auto-reset somehow to their starting positions before the collision. It is like everyone is made of rubber.

P.S.: Just checked now, as i had organised them in a Youtube playlist named "PES physics", my little 2yo son removed from my playlist some pes videos and added some Puppy Dog Pals episode!! :P :P :P
You're officially Professor PES from now on my friend.
Really a go to guy when it comes to this series!

that really was a rookie mistake! :D thx for hinting, pal!
Just to add on this. I am very tempted to start a new OF based on @AntonyC_PESCustomFaces and i thank him very very much for sharing his project here and also mentioning it to me by PM. I feel honoured for this. There is only one problem (that is divided to two subproblems), which is not Antonys fault, it is clearly KONAMIs fault and this is the Live Update and database behaviour since the 2017 servers are off.
It has been analysed perfectly by @Chris Davies in the past. Since my game is installed since 2017, i have all the DPs and the last Live update, as of May of 2017. I assume that in order to install a new OF , i have to delete images and edit.bin which will lead me to create a vanilla edit.bin , affected by the DPs, but living errors to the clubs that have LiveUpdate players added.
Even if i try to import in my second profile, i must first make some space for the images etc, which comes the sub-problem, i must make decisions on which clubs i will keep/replace.

One way or another, both solutions have much work around and fixes to be made, in order to build an enjoyable database for ML. And this 2017 databade feels so fragile to radical changes for some reason , that keeps me updating manually my old OF, as much as it is possible.

Furthermore @PRO_TOO i want to ask, do you play on 4K TV or HDR or anything similar? Your screen colours despite you are recording from screen, look so attractive, that if i didn't know, i would swear that you are playing on PC using some sweetFX tool. In my Sony Bravia 1080p ,it looks a little bit washed out.

Furthermore @PRO_TOO i want to ask, do you play on 4K TV or HDR or anything similar? Your screen colours despite you are recording from screen, look so attractive, that if i didn't know, i would swear that you are playing on PC using some sweetFX tool. In my Sony Bravia 1080p ,it looks a little bit washed out.
:) thanks mate.
I’m playing on a Samsung 55” KS9090 from 2016. It’s capable of 4K and HDR but 2017 isn’t using any of that, afaik.
I’m very detailed and nerdy when it comes to setting those things up, I have to admit. :LOL:
Over the years I changed some settings here and there... it’s the most looked at thing in my apartment, so it must be set up correctly. I’m not a fan of those presentation settings used in the store for example. Sure, native 4K HDR material looks stunning to showcase what the tv is capable of.
But I have 3 modes I use regularly. Game mode for games (set this up all around Gran Turismo, GOW, and some other Sony exclusives I like and play a lot). Used to start with some Brosch calibration pics first.
Standard mode for daily use when watching TV shows, news, sports. I set this mode up all around football matches.
And finally, natural mode for watching movies only.

Want to know more or more in detail? Feel free to ask.

Edit: I checked for you. It’s actually 3840x2160/60Hz but no HDR (it’s regular RGB).

Last edited:
Just to add on this. I am very tempted to start a new OF based on @AntonyC_PESCustomFaces and i thank him very very much for sharing his project here and also mentioning it to me by PM. I feel honoured for this. There is only one problem (that is divided to two subproblems), which is not Antonys fault, it is clearly KONAMIs fault and this is the Live Update and database behaviour since the 2017 servers are off.
It has been analysed perfectly by @Chris Davies in the past. Since my game is installed since 2017, i have all the DPs and the last Live update, as of May of 2017. I assume that in order to install a new OF , i have to delete images and edit.bin which will lead me to create a vanilla edit.bin , affected by the DPs, but living errors to the clubs that have LiveUpdate players added.
Even if i try to import in my second profile, i must first make some space for the images etc, which comes the sub-problem, i must make decisions on which clubs i will keep/replace.

One way or another, both solutions have much work around and fixes to be made, in order to build an enjoyable database for ML. And this 2017 databade feels so fragile to radical changes for some reason , that keeps me updating manually my old OF, as much as it is possible.
When installing the OF today I think I screwed it up ingame. It’s all mixed, pics, emblems, teams partly edited (some not even after choosing them manually).
I found out again how much better the whole process is in 2020. Anyway. I think it’s worse the hassle. For now. :D
Will start from scratch tmw with deleting my old saves and edit files.

In 2017 it’s: first importing the pics to the database (kits to size slots, stadiums, team emblems...), right?! Then import team and tick only second box to assign those imported pics to the teams?!

Its insane.

Every Pes thats out since then has some sort of the pattern to it.

What I mean by that - every games AI behave certain way, pushing you to respond in certain way. On top of that - controls/response/animations and your own AI also pushes you to play certain way.

Pes20 - im basically playing chess. Very easy to get to 1/3rd of the opponent half and then you're just trying to get through

Pes18 - im mostly going down the wings, due to OP headers, speed bursts and ease of dribbling down the wing. Also - I hammer every ball coming out, as shots from distance are so powerful and accurate.

Pes19 - no sane person plays this offline.

I played 3 games on Pes17 last night and its the only Pes in modern era that doesnt really have a pattern to it. Its unpredictable. Everything carries risk and reward. AI is unpredictable, shots are unpredictable, tackles are unpredictable.

In 3 games I had
- 7 yellow cards for AI
- 5 yellows for me
- red card for me
- two injuries
- penalty for me
- penalty for AI.
Not even mentioning results, which were simply...fair, things like above simply dont happen in all new Pes games, making them dull, flat and predictable.

Edit:
Came back to mention kicking the ball after the whistle! Always gets me smiling!
EqualHarshErne-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Though my last 2-3 games have been scripted as hell,or a less dramatic description,very overpowered CPU,they've been so good and enjoyable.
I'm on a 11 game winning streak,my Milan side is probably the best team I've ever had,still it's tooth and nail Vs the CPU.

Last night's game Vs a shit team,Chievo,or I thought they'd be shit since it's a team that's usually up and down between Serie A and B,9 seasons in they're 4th after 20 games.

Here's what made this so enjoyable.
The way the CPU played,short passing,when I pressed ,they just dribbled me,in all sorts of different ways, taking shots when they shouldn't take shots.
I couldn't read how they were playing,had to pause the game for a breather.

Managed to turn around a 1-0 loss to a 3-1 lead,but the last 20 minutes,with me a man down was so tough,playing on all out defence,my attack/defence level were all the way down,hoofing every ball, tackling,playing dirty,just to keep my lead.

They even got a pen in the 87th min which they missed.
Completely drained after that game,and the scripting?
Didn't care,that's how good the game was.
Just like hand sanitizer,got to hoard this game game for future use

Allow me to add a personal taste on this. Team Spirit in this PES has less dramatic impact than the new versions. It doesn't force you much shite-playing, it is almost as it should be, "we play what we can and we just get better as a group".
Ok it is not 100% of the time like this, but much better than modern TS mechanism.
If i could make an evaluation , i would say it is the second best TS implementation in the series since introduction, first best TS implementation being on pes2016.

Interesting discussions for PES 17. I remember as it concluded, I was ready to be done with it. Think if I were to compare it to PES 20 though, I'd welcome it back.

I have a lot of unlisted PES 17 videos if anyone wants me to post them. I'll start by posting one of my favs with my 5-second fix + Body Control set to 40 for all players:

Any way of letting the ball pass through the legs and follow it? Holding R1 is letting the ball through but my player ain’t following. How does that work again in 2017?!

Its insane.

Every Pes thats out since then has some sort of the pattern to it.

What I mean by that - every games AI behave certain way, pushing you to respond in certain way. On top of that - controls/response/animations and your own AI also pushes you to play certain way.

Pes20 - im basically playing chess. Very easy to get to 1/3rd of the opponent half and then you're just trying to get through

Pes18 - im mostly going down the wings, due to OP headers, speed bursts and ease of dribbling down the wing. Also - I hammer every ball coming out, as shots from distance are so powerful and accurate.

Pes19 - no sane person plays this offline.

I played 3 games on Pes17 last night and its the only Pes in modern era that doesnt really have a pattern to it. Its unpredictable. Everything carries risk and reward. AI is unpredictable, shots are unpredictable, tackles are unpredictable.

In 3 games I had
- 7 yellow cards for AI
- 5 yellows for me
- red card for me
- two injuries
- penalty for me
- penalty for AI.
Not even mentioning results, which were simply...fair, things like above simply dont happen in all new Pes games, making them dull, flat and predictable.

Edit:
Came back to mention kicking the ball after the whistle! Always gets me smiling!
View attachment 33932

Agreed with everything. I get caught off guard really easily in PES 2017. At one moment, I am in full control and then CPU plays intelligent through pass and split my defend open.

Played Napoli,and won after a tough game,now that on a 11 game winning streak,CPU tries every little trick in the book to beat me,my usual 70-75% passing accuracy is down to 60ish

Anyway,CPU is still lovely and surprises me every game,this Napoli winger pulled off a nice move that got me good

Played Napoli,and won after a tough game,now that on a 11 game winning streak,CPU tries every little trick in the book to beat me,my usual 70-75% passing accuracy is down to 60ish

Anyway,CPU is still lovely and surprises me every game,this Napoli winger pulled off a nice move that got me good
Are you on full manual there, Rocky?
Im on top player, but I have basic shooting on (everything else on manual, advanced through balls). Was just wondering how is manual shooting there, as I dont think I ever tried it on Pes17.

Are you on full manual there, Rocky?
Im on top player, but I have basic shooting on (everything else on manual, advanced through balls). Was just wondering how is manual shooting there, as I dont think I ever tried it on Pes17.
Hey pal!
Nah,I gave up manual shooting somewhere around the release of 17,played it the first month or so,remember Pes 17 Vs 16 was much tougher,so I've been on basic shooting ever since.
I'm not loving Pes shooting regardless of basic/manual /advanced,so I'm taking the easy way out.
Same here man ,TP,though I've dabbled with SS every now and then.
TP is as you know (elitist) is pretty damn solid on this game.
You back in on Pes 17 again?
Lovely!

Hey pal!
Nah,I gave up manual shooting somewhere around the release of 17,played it the first month or so,remember Pes 17 Vs 16 was much tougher,so I've been on basic shooting ever since.
I'm not loving Pes shooting regardless of basic/manual /advanced,so I'm taking the easy way out.
Same here man ,TP,though I've dabbled with SS every now and then.
TP is as you know (elitist) is pretty damn solid on this game.
You back in on Pes 17 again?
Lovely!
Last few days I was kinda in between F20 and Pes17. Not having current OF is pissing me off. I know there's the one from @AntonyC_PESCustomFaces , but I dont have time to sit down and test it properly.
Premier League kits from back then are absolutely manky.. :LOL:
So Im just tipping away on my Mallorca save (3rd in the league, but Barca and Real are too far to chase them now)
Still loving physicality, unpredictability, AI and very little script. Its a savage game.

Last few days I was kinda in between F20 and Pes17. Not having current OF is pissing me off. I know there's the one from @AntonyC_PESCustomFaces , but I dont have time to sit down and test it properly.
Premier League kits from back then are absolutely manky.. :LOL:
So Im just tipping away on my Mallorca save (3rd in the league, but Barca and Real are too far to chase them now)
Still loving physicality, unpredictability, AI and very little script. Its a savage game.
It is mate,I'm on this and F18 mainly.
Can't really make my self to start over and set up the game with proper tactics since I'm pretty deep in to an old save.
Yeah, scripting is very manageable in this game,though they try pretty heavily now that I haven't lost for a long time.

When I returned to Pes 13 a year or so ago ,one of the things being really fun was playing with the 2012/13 rosters,players that are now retired etc.

When I returned to Pes 13 a year or so ago ,one of the things being really fun was playing with the 2012/13 rosters,players that are now retired
Defo - it has its charm. Joaquin and Sneijder are monsters there.
Its just Kits that annoy me really. And only from EPL and Championship.
But im being a spoiled brat here, aint I? You are on Xbox.. sorry, pal.. :LOL:

Defo - it has its charm. Joaquin and Sneijder are monsters there.
Its just Kits that annoy me really. And only from EPL and Championship.
But im being a spoiled brat here, aint I? You are on Xbox.. sorry, pal.. :LOL:
Yeah you spoiled bastard!
When it comes to rosters,I usually do a quick edit myself,all the big players in the correct team+plus my own etc,usually quickly done.
Yeah,being on Xbox would make me more FIFA friendly,but since 18 their approach to kits have been real shit imo,not having 3rd kits for a lot of teams,and for me,getting rid of classic kits was really stupid!

Still being fan of homegrown/young players as your approach?

Still being fan of homegrown/young players as your approach?
Yup. Well.. home grown regens.. most Pes fans would hit me with a shovel but I really like having them at 70 and see them growing up to 90's. And their faces are usually great (yay! Faces!) And commentator knows their names!

My approach would probably be different if Pes looked after those things for 'normal', unknown players..

Yup. Well.. home grown regens.. most Pes fans would hit me with a shovel but I really like having them at 70 and see them growing up to 90's. And their faces are usually great (yay! Faces!) And commentator knows their names!

My approach would probably be different if Pes looked after those things for 'normal', unknown players..
Get what you mean Marty,I like my young players in Milan as well,though those young players are around 25 years old now,but I haven't sold any of my young players from season one yet (9th season now).
But then again,those players were brilliant from day one

Back
Top Bottom