PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

PES 2017 sold better than PES 5, in fact the last three versions of PES have sold better each year since 2015 compared to any previous version of PES.

PES has never flown off the shelves, it's always been behind FIFA in that regard. We can remember all the amazing parts of PES 5, we can remember how much fun it was when we first put the PES 3 disc in our PS2 and played Charmatin vs. Trad Bricks for the first time. The truth of the matter is that PES is getting better, it had a major lapse when it first hit 'next gen' consoles but these last three iterations have been getting better and better and better.

We don't know yet how this game is going to play as a final result - we're playing an online beta that is maybe very different to the finished product. But it's still a fun game. If this was the game that they released, I'd happily play it for a whole year.

Bear in mind that PES 5 came out when you were 20 as well - different frame of mind for playing and indulging in games compared to now.

Ok I give you that BUT games like PES17, and bellow you can't deny and say they are PES greats like PES 5 or PES 13 that in 2017 these games are still being played, still have pretty strong community. What I'm trying to say is these games get wuickly forgotten while PES5 esp WE9LE will always be played even 10 yrs from now. 15. Who knows. Just like SWOS and Kick Off 2. Another example is FPS games. Take all FPS games today and they can't even sniff the success that Counter Strike 1.6 had and STILL HAS to this very day, including Source and Global Offensive. Certain games are meant to be cemented in the hall of fame and those are PES 5 WE9LE PES 13, ISS 98, Kick Off 2, SWOS 96/97. Just like movies. They can make a great action/crime thriller now with great actors/ special effects but nothing can ever touch Scarface or The Godfather. This is the best explanation I can think off and I think you'll agree with me as well.

What is your football gaming experience like mate ? When dis you get into football gaming etc?

Mid 90's. I have played master system and mega drive titles but the first game I remember playing a lot was the first Fifa on Snes. Then ISS and ISS Deluxe on Snes, then N64. Later I merged to WE3 on psx and fell in love like most people here. Played PES/WE exclusively (always trying every footy game released) until PES 2009. Migrated to FIFA and now I play both games but prefer Fifa due to being a much more complex game in terms of strategy and ways of playing, but every year I buy PES hoping to have that PS2 feeling back. I still play pes6 on pc at least once a week though. You may say I have played in an era that graphics were not as incredible as they are today but they were matching their time. If PES2018 has graphics that are ok for it's time and animations that match what is happening on the field, then that's good for me.

Regarding animations, I believe one of the things that kill shooting in pes17(and 18 beta) is that the animation doesn't properly match the strength/speed of the shot. Something seems disconnected there.Not exactly sure what would fix it for me.

I'm a huge Fifa fan. But this game is absolutely incredible. Pace is much slower. Dribbling is best of any footy game ive ever played. I got out of my seat a few times due to some nutmegs and blow arounds. Even a meg on me.

Positioning is even slightly better. Especially on the flanks defensively. Your teammates actually intercept passes by themselves. Switching is a bit weird and players get caught in weird animations.

Ive played about 10 matches, maybe more. I keep telling myself, last one. But keep continuing. Even having fun when Im losing. This really makes me reconsider getting fifa automatically as my first purchase so far

Ok I give you that BUT games like PES17, and bellow you can't deny and say they are PES greats like PES 5 or PES 13 that in 2017 these games are still being played, still have pretty strong community. What I'm trying to say is these games get wuickly forgotten while PES5 esp WE9LE will always be played even 10 yrs from now. 15. Who knows. Just like SWOS and Kick Off 2. Another example is FPS games. Take all FPS games today and they can't even sniff the success that Counter Strike 1.6 had and STILL HAS to this very day, including Source and Global Offensive. Certain games are meant to be cemented in the hall of fame and those are PES 5 WE9LE PES 13, ISS 98, Kick Off 2, SWOS 96/97. Just like movies. They can make a great action/crime thriller now with great actors/ special effects but nothing can ever touch Scarface or The Godfather. This is the best explanation I can think off and I think you'll agree with me as well.
Alright, you've lost me a couple times here but I'll give this a go.

Why can't I deny that PES 2017 is a great game? I think it actually is the best PES game that's ever been released. It's polished, it's fun, it's depth to it and I've played it since release day. I don't think a week has gone by that I haven't played PES 2017. Sure, I loved PES 3, I loved PES 5 and I absolutely adored PES 6. We had tournaments with mates at university on that game, we had drinking rules for PES, tournaments for money - I absolutely adored that game. But PES 2017 is a better game.

We can very easily remember only the good parts of those games though. It's our very nature to forget the bad things that we associate with memories and only cherish the good ones, it's why their memories. Hell, even looking at your point on CS 1.6! CS GO is THE most played CS game ever, it's arguably one of the largest esports along with Dota 2 and League of Legends and it's an unbelievably brilliant game. I played 1.6, I played Source. I wouldn't go back to either with CS GO being available.

These games are cemented in a hall of fame. Of course they are. No-one references PES without talking about 'yeah I remember the one with the bald guy on the front'. It was a brilliant game and we all loved it. But that doesn't mean we can't appreciate that these new games are also fantastic as well.

Could very well it end up being a case of simply "loving the new", but I am loving it so far.

Just had a match where the pace ended up near glacial between me and my opponent, but it felt so tactical, or at least like I could make it tactical. I watched moments back and was in awe at how slow (in a good way) the match was able to get. The trick I feel to defending is as @MASTER - w11 says, there is genuinely what feels like an art to defending in that in those moments when you are without the ball you feel as though you have time to assess a situation and seek out the passing lanes to cut out, aggressively but with a good feeling of control too and a sense of reward when you do.

Some of the wee contextual animations are superb and actually add to the overall experience, it isn't just wanting excellent animations, but where they are placed. I going to give the developers some credit where it is due and say they have really focused on contextual stuff, but it isn't just gimmicky. It is aesthetically pleasing, but it just all has this sensation of weight and not mere screen candy. So far, I just feel like I am only scratching the surface with dribbling, as guilty of using some trusted PES2017 manoeuvres, but loads of wee things keep happening in how a player controls the ball and it isn't just a sheen, because it links in with the passing and ball physics. Basically, the ball behaviour is less predictable as players can "get under" even a ground pass and the ball is leaving the players foot in variety of ways, and that links in with how the recipient can/will control the ball, but you have a split second after that first touch try a wee feint move off the ball or shift weight, with players having genuine differences in foot-speed in control, so all kinds of mad shit is happening and it is cool.

Alright, you've lost me a couple times here but I'll give this a go.

Why can't I deny that PES 2017 is a great game? I think it actually is the best PES game that's ever been released. It's polished, it's fun, it's depth to it and I've played it since release day. I don't think a week has gone by that I haven't played PES 2017. Sure, I loved PES 3, I loved PES 5 and I absolutely adored PES 6. We had tournaments with mates at university on that game, we had drinking rules for PES, tournaments for money - I absolutely adored that game. But PES 2017 is a better game.

We can very easily remember only the good parts of those games though. It's our very nature to forget the bad things that we associate with memories and only cherish the good ones, it's why their memories. Hell, even looking at your point on CS 1.6! CS GO is THE most played CS game ever, it's arguably one of the largest esports along with Dota 2 and League of Legends and it's an unbelievably brilliant game. I played 1.6, I played Source. I wouldn't go back to either with CS GO being available.

These games are cemented in a hall of fame. Of course they are. No-one references PES without talking about 'yeah I remember the one with the bald guy on the front'. It was a brilliant game and we all loved it. But that doesn't mean we can't appreciate that these new games are also fantastic as well.

I agree but then again I just think the gaming industry as well as the gaming developers have changed their focus to animations and gameplay where as back then devs were more into gameplay.

And about CS, yes CSGO has more players but if you do a research about any pro clan they will all tell you CS 1.6 and Source are BETTER than CSGO. Its a complicated subject I guess. Do you think PES 17 will hold as well as PES 5 did .. 'meaning sometimes in 2025 PES17 will still be widely played ?

Mid 90's. I have played master system and mega drive titles but the first game I remember playing a lot was the first Fifa on Snes. Then ISS and ISS Deluxe on Snes, then N64. Later I merged to WE3 on psx and fell in love like most people here. Played PES/WE exclusively (always trying every footy game released) until PES 2009. Migrated to FIFA and now I play both games but prefer Fifa due to being a much more complex game in terms of strategy and ways of playing, but every year I buy PES hoping to have that PS2 feeling back. I still play pes6 on pc at least once a week though. You may say I have played in an era that graphics were not as incredible as they are today but they were matching their time. If PES2018 has graphics that are ok for it's time and animations that match what is happening on the field, then that's good for me.

Regarding animations, I believe one of the things that kill shooting in pes17(and 18 beta) is that the animation doesn't properly match the strength/speed of the shot. Something seems disconnected there.Not exactly sure what would fix it for me.

That's a hell of a history. Much respect. What do you find better in FIFA then in PES ? I haven't played FIFA in sooo long but wouldn't mind trying FIFA 18 or whichever one is good nowdays.

Cheers

One thing I can't seem to understand is why PES on PS2 was so addictive, had the lust, passion and everything else. Could it be that I am 32 yrs of age now and just not a gamer like I used to be. But I remember PES 5 everyone was blown away. Nobody ever cared about animations or graphics. It was all gameplay people were talking about. Did the new younger generation take over and old farts like me still obsess about these older games or whats the reason behind all this. When Seabass was in charge I remember PES used to fly off the shelves. It is definitely NOT the case today.

PES5 and 6 are great games, maybe the best but they got us on the right time of the life. I still play pes6 and have a lot of fun but there are some things that bother me in the game that didn't use to when I was younger. Some examples: Always have space to play goal kicks short, no proper way of pressing high, excessively accurate 1st time shots, no defenders going up for corners, almost no one touch play even if the player has the ability and proper body placement, etc..
But the game is so hard to master and there is such a sense of rewarding that make us never wanna stop playing. I think current games lack that but I don't know if we would realise if they didn't, as we are bitter grown ups now lol

I agree but then again I just think the gaming industry as well as the gaming developers have changed their focus to animations and gameplay where as back then devs were more into gameplay.

And about CS, yes CSGO has more players but if you do a research about any pro clan they will all tell you CS 1.6 and Source are BETTER than CSGO. Its a complicated subject I guess. Do you think PES 17 will hold as well as PES 5 did .. 'meaning sometimes in 2025 PES17 will still be widely played ?
No, I don't think people will be playing PES 17 in 2025. You have to remember that PES5 and PES6 benefited massively from PES 2008, 2009 and 2010 all being really sub-par games. If you wanted to play a PES game in 2009, you were better off playing one of the older games.

I'm sure we all remember how awful PES 2008 was. It even had Michael sodding Owen on the front cover...

But I think Konami have learned from this, I really liked PES 16 but I haven't played it because I prefer the newer 2017 game. I'll probably not touch PES 2017 with PES 2018 coming out this year now either. We're more fickle now than we use to be with games, we want the latest thing and developers are prepared to give it to us. Of course there are always going to be games that stick in your mind and are classics, this is all opinion too remember!

Also bear in mind developers focused on gameplay in 2004 because of a limited resource in the consoles at the time. We have a lot more power to work with now, it's why we can have a 4K version of the game with multiple modes. We didn't even have a full English league until PES4 came out.

Did you know that simulation with a sprinle of arcade is the core or at least thats what it was during the golden days (PES 5). Pure simulation has ruined games in my opinion. Gaming developers are trying so hard to duplicate life like situations with animations and graphics which actually ruins the gameplay.

This is the case with next gen consoles games. PS2 era was the golden era for PES and it will never ever return to the roots. Because people are more interested in animations and graphics instead of gameplay.

For example Kick off 2 and SWOS 96/97. Graphics and animations were never a part of these games yet to this day people patch them, play them, world wide tournaments etc. Do you think same will be said about PES 18, that people will get bored after 6 months ?

How about you just stick with PES 5 and let us enjoy the game. I feel like what I played has more potential on release date than any other PES game before it. I'm already enjoying this even more. You're clearly not trying to exprenice a new thing, you just want to experience the old feel which is outdated.

How about you just stick with PES 5 and let us enjoy the game. I feel like what I played has more potential on release date than any other PES game before it. I'm already enjoying this even more. You're clearly not trying to exprenice a new thing, you just want to experience the old feel which is outdated.

Um, last time I remember everyone is entitled to their opinion. You are as well but so am I. I can enjoy and dislike whatever I want without your premission bud and I also can't make you like or dislike something. Its an open forum not sure why your acting like a police here.

Chill, its only a video game. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings mate.

Sarcasm or real lol ?

No sarcasm at all. Why would I be sarcastic about it?.
Graphics are very important to me too in order to get a believable and immersive experience.
But animations is definetely among the top 2 priorities for me.
Been playing football games since I was 6 years old. Played every ISS, WE, PES every FIFA from the SEGA GENESIS days. Played This Is Football. PC Futbol. The Ronaldo game (Brazilian Ronaldo). Etc. I'm almost 30 now. So not sure where you're aiming at.

Why? What would you choose?.

That's a hell of a history. Much respect. What do you find better in FIFA then in PES ? I haven't played FIFA in sooo long but wouldn't mind trying FIFA 18 or whichever one is good nowdays.

Cheers

Could you please stop taking this thread off-topic into various directions which aren't related to this Beta? Don't get me wrong, but we've made this thread to keep focus on the Beta and the Beta alone, everything else can safely be discussed in the other PES 2018 thread. Cheers man, much appreciated.

Cheers
Note: For the more biased guys, I'm not trying to make this a FIFA x PES thread. This is just me answering a question ;-)

For me, FIFA 17 is the best game of the series and one of the best football games ever released. It combines the visual, the gameplay and proper online gaming. The game is a representation of the modern football, very physical, but has the highest variety I've ever seen. You can play possession, quick counter, high pressing, long balls, etc, and be successful in any of them if doing properly. Has very few "exploitable plays" but allows you to be deadly in your own playstile. Also the AI (despite some cheating, as every football game ever released) is very good, challenging and has variety of plays comparing to previous FIFAs.
For someone who plays PES exclusively, may be hard to adapt to the intense off the ball movement FIFA has, and takes a lot of time to master the defending side of things, as you need to learn to effectively close the gaps.
Another important thing is the online play. Unlike PES16/17, there is very little lag and you can enjoy the match instead of worrying about the connection.

Could you please stop taking this thread off-topic into various directions which aren't related to this Beta? Don't get me wrong, but we've made this thread to keep focus on the Beta and the Beta alone, everything else can safely be discussed in the other PES 2018 thread. Cheers man, much appreciated.

I 100% agree. Definitely went off-topic not related to pes 18 beta. Kind of got carried away. Apologies bro

Reactions: Tom
Just had four more games - absolutely loved them. Scored a manual goal from outside the box that was nearly a full power-bar and I didn't think it stood a chance, but seeing as it was Giroud, the game let me off and the shot dipped in off the underside of the crossbar.

Favourite goal, though, was a one-on-one that I slid in the direction of Griezmann, running up to support me, who just about squeezed the ball between the keeper, the defender and the post.

Yet - I wasn't celebrating either goal. Shooting still feels 100% automatic to me - even the manual shot. In my heart of hearts, I know it shouldn't have gone in, because I misjudged the timing and held the button for too long. But because of Giroud's stats, it almost felt sorry for me and let me score. It doesn't feel rewarding, to me.

Also, the last game was 100mph - I can't explain it really, because he wasn't a ping-pong passer or anything, but it was twice as fast as the previous games. I can only assume it was because it was (my first) lag-free game, but if that's the case, I hope they all lag from now on!

Genuinely love all the tweaks, though. Just hoping to Christ they do something more with shooting before release.

I guess this is a move to attract FIFA fans. If they put out a Demo with say 10 teams (all licensed), it might make PES look like it's more complete this year. This is just my opinion of course.
maybe a complete demo with commentary to advertise what your trying to sell? WoW what a great idea....:DOH: Iv'e been wondering for years...

Interested to know what manual players think of the match-up vs assisted players now? I found it much better, though I only had a couple of games and I've not played since midday so I don't know if styles of play have started to fall into certain exploity patterns already.

Played a few more matches tonight and they were all either 0-0 or 1-0 to my opponent . .think I won about 3 matches out of 12. . my finishing was terrible.. .played one dude, think he was Brazilian. . .what a player. .everything he did was great . he was so laid back nothing seemed to panic him . . stroked it around like he was playing it for years and threw dummies when I was trying to hassle him in defence. .near the end I was through a few times for a certain goal and he still managed to come out of nowhere and stop me. . would be great to play him again. . ..I noticed all the best players were super cool under pressure and masters of feinting.

Interested to know what manual players think of the match-up vs assisted players now? I found it much better, though I only had a couple of games and I've not played since midday so I don't know if styles of play have started to fall into certain exploity patterns already.

I've never played PES online before, but on this I'm coping alright vs assisted players. I've only come across a few ping pongers including one annoying guy who would do a 1-2 high through ball every single time. He scored his first attempt but it was partly down to me rushing in.
I find that if you back off with the defensive line and get the midfield to do the closing down, it's not so easy to be caught out.

You didn't need to adjust, I did.
I gave my own impression, others might feel different.
I am surprised anyone needs to readjust for this game as it plays just like 2017.

Anyway, the one definite positive for me is the pitch. Looks good day and night for the first time in any pes game I think. I hope all pitches are as good and not just this one.

I have no idea how people managed to have such open end to end games at e3 for us to watch, all my games are tight and well paced

Because this is online and E3 was offline play, more responsive. That's why I can't judge it now and I expect the game to be much quicker when playing the demo. Everyone here should keep this in mind and not quickly jump to conclusions now. Remember 2011 mlo then final game.

Back
Top Bottom