PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

For me its like this.

+ The animations are simply sublime, awesome
+ Pass variety is also much bigger than in 2017
+ Slower gameplay
+ I thought GK´s were awesome in 2017, but they are even better now

- menus - ingame pause, when choosing team and strategy - the same as in 2017, it looks horrible and its not so hard to hire an graphic to do it better in term of hours
- replays should be like in fifa, where you choose the action you want, in PES, you have to skip, skip, skip, skip, skip and skip to finally see the goal from 80. minute
- player collision seems undone, players running through each other, not being able to do something when running body vs body with the attacker, never seen that in 2017
- defense seems underpowered, especially against the best players, if you run, run, run and run (and from time to time do a trick) with one of those, the defense seems helpless and simply let you pass and creat a shooting chance, too FIFAish, my biggest concern

I would take this as an example (but there are tons of goals like this) https://twitter.com/KurosakiCarlos2/status/888063187299569664 5 or 6 defenders did absolutely nothing to try stop him, neither at least an attempt to block the shot. Come on, this is FIFA 17, dont make PES a game like this...

All in all, it looks like a better 2017, but since Im online only player, Im very, very afraid that it will be all about taking the best player and try to go past as many defenders as you can...

Just played my first game... PS4 1 bar assist on passing seemed player with same settings.

Love the pace it's really slow.
You can't ping pong pass on 1 bar assist
Lots of interceptions
Pace is going to be huge my opponent pumped everything to Willian
I lost 4-1 but I was 1 up till he started figuring out to kick it to Willian.

One of his goal came from an errant clearance that went about 2 meters to lie at his players feet. I was aiming for my player on the edge of the box so not sure if I didn't press long enough.

One of his other goals came from a penalty which was a face on 100% clean tackle and my player got sent off :D that's what happens when you complain to Konami aye!

Another goal came from my keeper spilling a shot from a straight forward take till about 1 m ahead of him to his striker.
His first goal was a 30m pike driver that flapped through my keepers gloves.

Bit concerned by his goals but love the pace of the game and error in passing. You really have to pick it out on 1 bar setting.

So far I am cautiously optimistic. I worried about the speed some players have.

Also, why are the defenders so crap at defending and pretty much unreactive when getting an attacking cross in? All of my goals I scored/conceded were from crosses.

Crowd not so good as Fifa's but the rest is above Fifa so far.

This is a huge statement. Frostbite FIFA engine feels so smooth.

I played more PES 2017 than FIFA 17 but my biggest complain about the game was the engine. PES online feels 30 fps at best. FIFA feels 60fps, everything feels fluid and responsive.

Just played a few games, took a while to find a opponent but played smoothly when loaded.

Couple observations;

Refs are still useless
As said earlier, really needs a stamina bar
There is a difference in player speeds, but it works against the good of the game. Naturally the faster players are mostly attackers, which means your opponent can pressure you relentlessly. As they refs are poor there's no punishment for barging you off the ball either, so you can just mercilessly hunt down the opposing team all game.

This has knock on effect, instead of trying to play/dribble out and get caught, you start to play quicker passes and one-twos etc and we all know where that leads, end to end football.

This is further compounded by the fact that players do indeed control the ball differently, with bad touches but again it's skewed, slow defenders with bad touches v quick attackers with good touches, making you play the ball up the pitch quicker as you're getting pressed, at times by a single player.

I'm not a fan of online gaming anyway, but I hope the offline isn't the same.

Edit: Graphics look exactly the same to me.

Also, why are the defenders so crap at defending and pretty much unreactive when getting an attacking cross in? All of my goals I scored/conceded were from crosses.

Before this Beta, everyone who played the game pointed that the new defensive system needed some getting used to. Otherwise skilled players would skin you. But once you got the hang of it, it was a lot more balanced.

Hello everyone,
Played 20 games(18 wins 2 loses), I feel no diference from pes 2017 just pace is slower. Same input lag, overall lag, AI unresponsiveness its has no soul like previuos game. Notice only 2-3 new animations. In my opinion its same game with slower pace and if you buy pes 2018 for online gaming its a huge money waste. Maybe my opinion bit harsh but this is what i feel playing beta:)

Finally got chance to play in UK and I get FDNN538 error connecting to test server..internet is fine though

Before this Beta, everyone who played the game pointed that the new defensive system needed some getting used to. Otherwise skilled players would skin you. But once you got the hang of it, it was a lot more balanced.

How would you defend crosses when the attacker always gets advantage over a defender and you dont have much control?

Anyone know if can invite and play against your mates? Played 3 games and enjoyed the 2nd and 3rd, especially pleased with the adjustable camera now but 1 bar still feels a bot too assisted. Pace is spot on.

played two matches, i'm impressed although it's nothing revolutionary.

attacking seems balanced, one guy started to go mad with the dribbling and at first i thought it was OP but after a fwe mins of getting used to defending against it, you can nullify it pretty well.

shielding sometimes seems a bit random and i can imagin it being some kind of superpower when ML team spirit kicks in for the AI.

quite enjoyed PA1 and basic shooting, maybe i will stick with that, I am trying manual now though regardless

Finally got round to playing my first game! (And second and third and fourth)

Played as Brazil as noticed a lot of people were using France and I never liked mirror matchups. No issues with finding a game, was maybe 20/30 seconds for quick play. Good to see people taking time with their formations and game plans as well although this guys French team was a little on the odd side.

General thoughts!

Game feels a lot slower, definitely a lot more weight to the passes as well. Long passes feel like you have to get a good measure of the power bar, I put a few completely out of play and others were just a little short. Felt like there was very little time in the middle of the pitch which was good, constantly under pressure.

Saw some really good saves as well from keepers. It's really hard to judge based on online games though, my first 3 games were all against people that seemed to want to constantly chase you all over the pitch and then just bolt up the field when they got it. I don't think that really works unless you've setup a team for that - I won my first 1-0, second 2-0 (before the lad quit out) and my third game 4-0.

I can't judge either way about whether it's going to be a fantastic game or not at this stage, definitely feels really good and I think visually it's stunning. More excited for the demo in August but good to see that it's in a good position right now.

Also should add I'm using PA1 and Advanced Shooting - had a few crackers that I'll try to upload to YouTube.

couple of other thoughts, refs seem good, no nonsense constant advantage and people getting away with murderous tackles.

I love that disciplined positioning and defending is key

I have no idea how people managed to have such open end to end games at e3 for us to watch, all my games are tight and well paced

For me this is worst and most arcade Pes ever! Players feel like ghosts, there is no weight in them. Defenders are useless, you can past them with drible in 90 degrees rotations almost every time. Until when we will see animations from pes 3 in the game, that awfull pass animation with outside of the foot also used when you shoot from short distance, why??? Have developers ever watched football, I mean come on, they have hardcore base like us and every year they fuck up something :(Typical Konami one step forward two steps backward...
To be honest when I lunch Fifa 16 in my ps4 I feel like this has to be Pes not fifa, its a bad that tactics dont work, i they were working Fifa 16 will be example of football simulation... I think that this is time for retirement from football gaming for me :(

Okay, first off, the game scores ONE OUT OF TEN straight off the bat because facial hair features were not to be found under the "hairstyles" menu but elsewhere. 7 seconds of my life wasted and as should be the standard, I must blame both Adam Bhatti and Asim Tanvir for this outrage, but really the problem lies deeper... yep, with those crazy Japanese. I say "crazy" when what I really mean is "useless" So many people should be fired for this, or maybe taken to a REAL MATCH IN REAL LIFE, or something. Simulation? Aye, okay. Disastrous start. It was like something I would find in a VIDEOGAME, lol! Pure arcade etc..

Took a few minutes (a wee bit less time than it does to find an opponent with similar pass support settings and team strength in myClub these days) to find an opponent and we were off to the Formation Settings screen. Nothing really changed here; didn't need to really change, so all fine there.

As soon as I started I immediately realised I had on Basic Shooting. Oh, FFS! So many P45's (or the Japanese equivalent) needing dished out and barely a ball kicked. Shocking.

Okay, to get a bit more serious now, I have been playing PES2017 online frequently and more or less exclusively for the last 4/5 weeks. I love myClub. Yes, I do, and if you disagree you can suck ma boaby. Essentially what I am saying is that PES online is what I have been doing right up until the release of this beta.

Yeah, this is different.

Slower. So much slower to the point it was jarring. It wasn't lag (completely) but they have obviously slowed the game right down. I'm not sure what to make of it, at least regards online play at this time, but I now one thing: I was enjoying it. There was a wee bit lag in my minimum lvl. 3 connection searched match, arguably a touch more than that found when playing PES2017 but, beta and all that. It was largely lag-free.

Passing is slower, there is a wee bit "error" in there compared to PES2017, and it just felt fresh. Fresh doesn't automatically equate to good, but for me, when considering PES2018, it does mean good.

I lost the game 1-0. My opponent scored fairly early into the match when he picked out Willian and he was in the clear and my defender could not catch him, nor was he catching up with him. I got taken out by a simple lofted pass and dinked finish over the keeper which never, EVER happens in REAL football. Atrocious.

The referees are absolutely shoc-wait, what? Thiago Silva is sent off after two bookings following tackles from behind (one slide, one standing) so yeah, refs seemed okay to me. Dude I was playing against was not just hitting slide tackle either unless necessary. Marcelo went into the book for a rash slide after the ref played an advantage I wanted to him to play. Not enough controversy or error. The referees are even "over-responsive"! This game is DOOMED, I tell ye.

Basic Shooting is complete and utter garbage. I'm sorry but it is. It is literally "Basic" and heavily automated. It's just like PES2017 in that regard, but seeing as I will never, ever play using Basic Shooting again, this matters very little to me. Sucks for those who were hoping for a change there. In saying that, maybe there is a notable change and my take on it is a bit like, I dunno, some dudes who say they hated and stopped playing PES2017 moons ago saying that PES2018 is just the same as PES2017. I don't have all the facts or experience to comment on Basic Shooting further. Interesting.

Ach, it just feels like a good football game is in the offing.

All I can really say after one match is that I am ready to sit down, get into, and enjoy this PES, just like I did PES2017. I'm part of the problem, lads!

I'll post more, a bit less dick-ish, thoughts later.

PS - on the bus home my phone alerted me that PES2018 was trending on twitter and when I loaded up the feed the first tweet I read was some wankstain saying: "is this PES2018 or FIFA12, LOL!"

I replied: "Yer maw, mate. It's yer maw"

Was something to do/say on my 29 minute bus journey home. I'm comfortable with the choice made there.

couple of other thoughts, refs seem good, no nonsense constant advantage and people getting away with murderous tackles.

I love that disciplined positioning and defending is key

I have no idea how people managed to have such open end to end games at e3 for us to watch, all my games are tight and well paced

I agree mate!

Stupid question maybe, but how to change passing to manual control?
it's just PA1 and you can't change it
wtf?

For me its like this.

+ The animations are simply sublime, awesome
+ Pass variety is also much bigger than in 2017
+ Slower gameplay
+ I thought GK´s were awesome in 2017, but they are even better now

- menus - ingame pause, when choosing team and strategy - the same as in 2017, it looks horrible and its not so hard to hire an graphic to do it better in term of hours
- replays should be like in fifa, where you choose the action you want, in PES, you have to skip, skip, skip, skip, skip and skip to finally see the goal from 80. minute
- player collision seems undone, players running through each other, not being able to do something when running body vs body with the attacker, never seen that in 2017
- defense seems underpowered, especially against the best players, if you run, run, run and run (and from time to time do a trick) with one of those, the defense seems helpless and simply let you pass and creat a shooting chance, too FIFAish, my biggest concern

I would take this as an example (but there are tons of goals like this) https://twitter.com/KurosakiCarlos2/status/888063187299569664 5 or 6 defenders did absolutely nothing to try stop him, neither at least an attempt to block the shot. Come on, this is FIFA 17, dont make PES a game like this...

All in all, it looks like a better 2017, but since Im online only player, Im very, very afraid that it will be all about taking the best player and try to go past as many defenders as you can...

You may be right about the defenders, I haven't played enough to judge, but that goal is an example of how you shouldn't defend against Neymar. He kept pressing square to send teammates in the direction of one of the best dribblers. Actually this video is about what im linking until now. You have to think to defend, and if you think you have more chances of succeding.

Again, played only like 5 or 6 matches and my opinion may change but that defending was terrible by the player :-P

I am trying so hard to like this game but I really really can't. I still respect those that do though. Something just rubs me the wrong way and it feels like FIFA to me. Unless I am playing some serious experts every online match has been ping pong through passes. Goal to goal in less than 5 sec it seems like. I feel like because of so many animations and them trying to replicate real life like situations is ruining the "feel" of this game. Defending is just horrendeous and players seem to forget their positions constantly. Offline gameplay experience could be different or MultiPlayer but online to me is a ping pong fest. When you master the ping pong offense you really can be unbeatable because the defense is total garbage. The players don't feel reasy to play and have this "floaty" feeling to it. I played over maybe 20 matches and when I score a goal it doesn't WOW me. I see a lot of players talk about animations and how player faces look which is fine but man the gameplay is suffering badly. KONAMI are clearly heading to direction to take over the market by making this game feel like your playing some earlier versions of FIFA.

Try playing PES 13 for example and tell me if you can execute certain attacks that when you actually score a goal you get up from your seat. The feeling this game gives me is just BLAH. I will play more and hopefully I am wrong about this but as of right now this game is 6/10 in my honest opinion. Its way too bright on the pitch, too sharp I just don't know man. Confused. Disappointed. Sad. Mad.

Back
Top Bottom