PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

I think the reason why the goals doesn't feel so satisfying is due to how basic the shooting is. The shooting needs to be more harder to perfect and have more control for the placement and the ball needs to have more life into it rather than going on a straight line like a lazer beam. There are also lack of shooting and crossing animations too. Defending is harder this year which I like as it's going to be a challenge to defend players like Hazard, Neymar and Messi finally. Hopefully shitty players doesn't dribble like them. However defending from crosses needs to be more responsive.

I scored a very nice goal with Lacazette. A goal I had never been able to score prior (granted, I don't play online). So Tolisso had the ball in the halfway line, and passed it wide to Payet who then spotted Lacazette running in behind, through ball and one touch over the keeper lob, but those small chips you see often from composed strikers to finish over a keeper that don't have much height. It was gorgeous.

Also, defending is fun. Timing things right, and keeping shape is key against the very potent dribblers. I'm really liking it. The ping pong passing is there, but I think a lot of it is just people not defending right.

That second match was class.

I went Brazil this time; my opponent France. Did the usual and set Tight-Marking on Greaseman, followed by a Man-Marking job on Lucozade.

Now, I do think my opponent was a FIFA player as he ballooned over from distance and it was obvious he hit circle to shoot. Thing is, and I can obviously only speak from experience at this very early stage, it was still quite challenging due to the pace of the game and the absolutely obvious pass "error" at play. I was trying to play PES2017; he was playing FIFA, but was starting to get his head round the basics and it was awful tight all around the park. Just seemed like a better awareness all round. Good signs.

I end up beating him 2-1 (I went 2-0 up in that first half of two folk trying to get a handle on things, or just trying some stuff out) with him proving dangerous on the break. It was during these moments when without the ball did I really start to appreciate what was available to me, be it by design or accident.

That wee "next player" icon over the player whom you will swith to if you press L1: It has the potential to change the defensive game massively. It can be used, in my early experience, as means to out-do any previous defensive system in any football game ever created. It's simple. It's cool. It just works, or can work, to your benefit when defending. That feels really new, maybe revolutionary, and it is so weird saying that. it felt like I was allowed to marshall my defence in a way I never felt like I could in any football game that has come before this. And I think it is what is making matches feel like anything could happen and that you are only one well executed and placed pass away from an opponent's being straight through on the keeper, but I feel like I have more tools at my disposal in order to try prevent that and that wee icon helps hugely.

I'm pressing with X, maybe secondary pressing with square, but for whatever reason I feel like the right stick player change mechanic is a little more useful as a result, thus I can feel a bit more comfortable using that and trying to yes, marshall my defence. I can look away from the ball carrier, knowing I can manage the press, but meanwhile I have a better idea who will switch to if I use the right-stick player switch. The next player icon often goes over the player second nearest man to the ball, so I know If I use right-stick it won't be that dude for absolute certain. A few times in that match where I felt like I was doing more than two things at once in defence but felt like I had greater control over it all.

Elsewhere, the passing is lovely. I was trying lots of different things with passes but another thing that has improved vastly are things like Super-Cancel, Manual Modifier Passing, and Advanced 1-2's. It is thanks to (in my opinion etc.) just that greater sense of "movement management" when the ball is loose, or simply moving from player to player. Did a really cool wee move and it was just using Super-Cancel, and I'm not talking about the player letting hit roll through his legs and him turning, or him letting the ball go through his legs to another player. Nah, I pressed Super-Cancel early before my player received the ball and instead of a near-glitchy looking transition between movements (it was due to the limited animation variables/lack of sensation of player weight in SUper-Cancel movement in PES2017) I moved my player so as he turned away from the ball and arced smoothly and it totally caught my opponent off-guard. So simple, so natural, but so cool looking.

Thinking back about it all, I think it is a combination of those observations that could, potentially, make the game a very good, challenging online experience (so long as things are smooth) but one in which will demand skill not only one the ball, but off it absolutely. I feel, after that match, that there might be art and reward to defending, and it might be the case that they haven't coded out cheap goals, just made it possible to do a great deal more to prevent them.

Suddenly, a lot of the end-to-end stuff in videos I had watched make a bit of sense. Yes, the game can open right up and teams defensive positioning or sleepiness be ruthlessly exploited: easy to pick up, difficult to master. In that match I played, my opponent clearly wasn't up to speed, but the playing field felt level and more my experience of some slightly deeper mechanics, or even just a good knowledge and understanding of the basic ones, allowed me to dominate, or feel like I was... both on and off the ball. I could slow that game right down, be in control but I could get caught out, and did with his equaliser and couple of other one on one situations, which brings me to...

My keeper came out to close down Lucozade well before I wanted to... and I really wanted to. It was a rather nice surprise.

I'll happily caveat all the above by admitting I am only two matches in, but considering a vast majority offered comment based on zero gameplay before today (me included) then I'm like the most experienced dude in the world when compared to us all a few weeks ago.

I loved that match. Loved it.

Anyone else notice the team class selection option on the online restriction selection screen?

Means we can choose to play against similar rated teams in the full version I am sure which is great news. Hope they fix this for myclub as well

I'm on the edge to break my own imposition of not watching anything other than the first official trailer until full release. Teasing myself about slowly start to watch every single PES 2018 media I missed (on purpose) for the last month and a half or so..... damn!

Anyone else notice the team class selection option on the online restriction selection screen?

Means we can choose to play against similar rated teams in the full version I am sure which is great news. Hope they fix this for myclub as well
Best feature of this year!
No more 10 of 10 games vs Real in online divisions :ROCK:

Only one complaint so far. Just played against a guy who, when defending, selects a player deep in the area, and just close his eyes and hold [], the COM defends for him. All game long, one button defending.

Only one complaint so far. Just played against a guy who, when defending, selects a player deep in the area, and just close his eyes and hold [], the COM defends for him. All game long, one button defending.
Yeah auto defending is still there. Don't know why they make these games so easy to pick up and play.

You better off having the com defend then trying to do it yourself. It's weird and it's been like this for years.

I find myself trying to play ball and the opposition trying to dribble at every opportunity. Averaging over 100 passes or while my opposition does half of it.

The connections very stable had a bit of a wobbly against someone in Italy. This is on a 10mbps line in South Africa!

4 matchs with this bêta on PS4 Pro. I love it.
Slower, the gameplay is really great. What an step between this and Pes 2017!!
I play with pass assist niveau 1 and advanced passes ans shoot.
Really impressive. The 5 games were great i didn't the sames actions twice it's excellent.
I have no lag ans very good responsivness.
If it's an early code the final one could be a Masterpeace !!
The king is really back!!

some very nice animation
never saw this in last year pes

giphy.gif

Don't forget that you can save your formation / team layout for both Brazil and France so you can easily load in and have the same players / formation rather than having to do it every single time from scratch. I make a few adjustments each time but it's nicer having a better base layout.

Who's everyone going with up front for France? Giroud, Lacazette or Mbappe?

im just being curious here guys. How important are the animations and graphics to all of you ?

Actually might like defending above all else at the moment. It's so good experimenting with player switching and plugging gaps, marking up, or simply re-adjusting players positioning on-the-fly. It is all down to that wee secondary player switch icon making it feel so much more intuitive and dare I say it, skillful.

Have tried it and don't like it at all. It's slower, which is mostly good although the players feel sluggish, but the shooting is sooooooo dull and lifeless yet again. Every shot in a straight line, no zip or body to them, just boring laser beams. Where is the shot error, the sliced or skewed efforts, the balloons over the bar?

One other thing, I sent in a cross with L1 held down and the bend was ridiculous. If you can imagine I crossed it in line with the edge of the box, the ball swerved violently over the penalty spot and back beyond the edge of the box on the other side. It looked so fake.

I don't think I'll ever be happy with another PES again. Back to FIFA 16 for me.

Some guys I read on twitter are driving me crazy with their stupid feedback. Saying the game is too slow and have input delay. Also saying passing is a bit hard and seems off. Like I don't get it, do they want arcade or football simulation. Either ways I hope they don't listen to those dipshits. If you love FIFA so much why do you even try to make PES like FIFA. We want simulation, real football. If you don't want that, then stick with FIFA.

Some guys I read on twitter are driving me crazy with their stupid feedback. Saying the game is too slow and have input delay. Also saying passing is a bit hard and seems off. Like I don't get it, do they want arcade or football simulation. Either ways I hope they don't listen to those dipshits. If you love FIFA so much why do you even try to make PES like FIFA. We want simulation, real football. If you don't want that, then stick with FIFA.

Did you know that simulation with a sprinle of arcade is the core or at least thats what it was during the golden days (PES 5). Pure simulation has ruined games in my opinion. Gaming developers are trying so hard to duplicate life like situations with animations and graphics which actually ruins the gameplay.

This is the case with next gen consoles games. PS2 era was the golden era for PES and it will never ever return to the roots. Because people are more interested in animations and graphics instead of gameplay.

For example Kick off 2 and SWOS 96/97. Graphics and animations were never a part of these games yet to this day people patch them, play them, world wide tournaments etc. Do you think same will be said about PES 18, that people will get bored after 6 months ?

12-15 matches in, I'm liking this game even more. Specially defending. Defending now is about closing gaps and denying your opponent space rather than rushing towards the opponent. And if you position your players properly, you instantly realise how special a player like Kante is, as he can tackle and intercept much more aggresively. Rarely had that feeling playin pes17 online.

As already mentioned, the downside is the shooting(basic). Same soulless system of pes2017 which I never got right. Still can't score from outside the box (also coudnt in pes17). Do you guys score from long range?

Don't forget that you can save your formation / team layout for both Brazil and France so you can easily load in and have the same players / formation rather than having to do it every single time from scratch. I make a few adjustments each time but it's nicer having a better base layout.

Who's everyone going with up front for France? Giroud, Lacazette or Mbappe?

I use Giroud, Griezmann and Dembele.

I know it's only minor but this touch by Mbappe was so, so nice. The first little pull across away from Koscienly was just gorgeous. Then Kante sort of cleaned me out...

giphy.gif

There are some really gorgeous touches & animations that are popping up which look really great.

For me, very important. Without proper animations you can't believe in what is happening on the field, and that would kill the replay factor.

What is your football gaming experience like mate ? When dis you get into football gaming etc?

One thing I can't seem to understand is why PES on PS2 was so addictive, had the lust, passion and everything else. Could it be that I am 32 yrs of age now and just not a gamer like I used to be. But I remember PES 5 everyone was blown away. Nobody ever cared about animations or graphics. It was all gameplay people were talking about. Did the new younger generation take over and old farts like me still obsess about these older games or whats the reason behind all this. When Seabass was in charge I remember PES used to fly off the shelves. It is definitely NOT the case today.

One thing I can't seem to understand is why PES on PS2 was so addictive, had the lust, passion and everything else. Could it be that I am 32 yrs of age now and just not a gamer like I used to be. But I remember PES 5 everyone was blown away. Nobody ever cared about animations or graphics. It was all gameplay people were talking about. Did the new younger generation take over and old farts like me still obsess about these older games or whats the reason behind all this. When Seabass was in charge I remember PES used to fly off the shelves. It is definitely NOT the case today.
PES 2017 sold better than PES 5, in fact the last three versions of PES have sold better each year since 2015 compared to any previous version of PES.

PES has never flown off the shelves, it's always been behind FIFA in that regard. We can remember all the amazing parts of PES 5, we can remember how much fun it was when we first put the PES 3 disc in our PS2 and played Charmatin vs. Trad Bricks for the first time. But that's not to say that the new PES games aren't good! Yes, it had a major lapse when it first hit 'next gen' consoles but these last three iterations have been getting better and better and better.

We don't know yet how this game is going to play as a final result - we're playing an online beta that is maybe very different to the finished product. But it's still a fun game. If this was the game that they released, I'd happily play it for a whole year.

Bear in mind that PES 5 came out when you were 20 as well - different frame of mind for playing and indulging in games compared to now.

Back
Top Bottom