PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

Thats the exact issue regardless if its konamis fault ppl exploiting it are doing so because there is no trade off and they stick 6 players forward in a big bunch on the formation screen its not a tactic its knowingly taking advantage of the games flaws with little or no creativity in play sure ppl are free to do what they want but i think those types of players are a bunch of clowns

Sure if they set up a normal formation used advanced tactics and were actually making an effort to play football thats fine but are ppl so desperate to win they will score the same goal 300 times?

I'd bet Mourinho would take the same goal if it meant winning. But maybe someone like Pep wouldn't. What I'm getting at is, people play with the same mentality with which they support their club. Win whatever way possible. If the game allows for these issues, I don't see how it's the people's faults that these exploits are there. Particularly when football culture is so consumed by winning at all costs. The game should force them to have to think more adequately. That is where football games fail.

From BlueLegend97 over at the Reddit Thread.

• GAMEPLAY FEELS SO BLOODY GOOD! Smooth, direct and balanced

• Collision System! - Its great! My opponent tackled me from behind. Looked like a straight red...he got a red.

• The teammate pressure (holding O on defence) felt a bit OP to be honest. Perhaps because my opponent wasn't great and held the ball too long too often. But at the same time I couldn't completely rely on it and had to manually defend so I wouldn't get mugged off by just throwing defenders all over the place. I feel with a skill move or two, you can beat a press or just pass smartly.
Overall however, amazing! feels awesome and responsive. Scored 2 great team goals on way to a 2-0 victory. One was a smart counter attack and the other was a low cross. Small sample size, but it's looking good so far.

I'd bet Mourinho would take the same goal if it meant winning. But maybe someone like Pep wouldn't. What I'm getting at is, people play with the same mentality with which they support their club. Win whatever way possible. If the game allows for these issues, I don't see how it's the people's faults that these exploits are there. Particularly when football culture is so consumed by winning at all costs. The game should force them to have to think more adequately. That is where football games fail.

I agree with you its the games fault for allowing it and sure mourinho would but he is in control of a billion dollar machine with history fame and glory as the reward not a spin on a black ball agent

Sorry for off topic anyway at least we have a playable PES again this year looking forward to playing the AI on superstar

I don't understand the no pressure spamming thing. I'm not an online player much, but isn't that Konami's fault for not having proper fatigue system? If you want to play like Klopp's Dortmund, you have to press. Also, why is direct play so frowned upon? Isn't that part of the game, and if its broken, isn't that Konami's fault?
Not so much the pressure, it's how effective simply switching and holding team mate pressure button or whatever it's called down is. Use the com to your defending almost always results in getting the ball back

On the one hand .. this is an online beta .. to test the online mode and you do not have to make general evaluations of the game-play .. but on the other hand .. if there are problems with the game-play .. NOW is the time to discover .. for To have time to fix .... do not know .. I'm confused by your feedback ...

I reluctantly had to stop around half 12 or so. Overall I'm enjoying it a lot, used manual controls in my last couple of games and generally felt a lot more equal to PA1 than last year.

The hardest bit to get used to from a PA0 perspective is that the increased momentum and slower pace of the players means it's more likely that a loose ball will run away from you. Also, it's a bit harder (after just two games) to weight a short lay-off. Hopefully I'll get better at that, or I'll shift over to using advanced throughball.

I'm still not used to the dribbling. I'm not quite sure how to use spurts of acceleration in the way I want. PES 2017 dribbling was generally a lot easier. In terms of the catch-up, it seems like a case of using R1 double taps to kick and run, and to remember that a defender who is already running will make significant ground on a fast player who is only just accelerating. I'd say it isn't so much catch-up now, as a slight reduction that means defenders and forwards are more closely matched.

I reluctantly had to stop around half 12 or so. Overall I'm enjoying it a lot, used manual controls in my last couple of games and generally felt a lot more equal to PA1 than last year.

The hardest bit to get used to from a PA0 perspective is that the increased momentum and slower pace of the players means it's more likely that a loose ball will run away from you. Also, it's a bit harder (after just two games) to weight a short lay-off. Hopefully I'll get better at that, or I'll shift over to using advanced throughball.

I'm still not used to the dribbling. I'm not quite sure how to use spurts of acceleration in the way I want. PES 2017 dribbling was generally a lot easier. In terms of the catch-up, it seems like a case of using R1 double taps to kick and run, and to remember that a defender who is already running will make significant ground on a fast player who is only just accelerating. I'd say it isn't so much catch-up now, as a slight reduction that means defenders and forwards are more closely matched.

Regarding catch-up or no catch-up, this is what Adam said to me just now:

upload_2017-7-20_11-10-4.png

In terms of PA1...

The accuracy isn't affected so much as the power - difficult passes will be played much more slowly, with bobble and lift, and will be easier to intercept / your midfield will be better at moving into position to crowd the recipient. I have seen some passes go wide when under serious pressure, where the passer is fighting really hard just to keep the ball, but otherwise it's generally more pass speed than accuracy.

It'll be interesting to see how the online experience feels after 1 week of people getting used to what you can do, and when more people are home from work/school looking for exploits. I was amazed that my 5th or 6th game was against a manual player, and felt a bit guilty that I was still testing PA1 (and you can't change assistance in-game). That will NOT be the standard online experience come November/December.

I heard that the commentators in the Beta talked about Pogba from MANCHESTER UNITED! (Yes, they really said United)

But I thought ManU is partner of EA?
Is Konami now allowed to use real team names, at least for the commentators?

You took my words from my mouth. The game looks and feels a lot .. FIFA ..fifa-like! especially dribbling .. I do not know how good or bad it is.
Has anyone managed to play 3 vs 3? I do not find any streams To be able to play 3 vs 3
being like fifa 17 isn't a bad thing, as i find fifa 17 to be one of the best iterations since fifa 10 world cup, i have to say i like fifa 17 after playing a whole week now.

The crossing and defending cons are horrible to read. Between them they were game breakers for me and I stopped playing 17 because of them. 1 in 2 games these were abused to the point where I just turned pes off and did something else. Nothing reduced pes to ping pong crap like being hunted down by 2 or 3 players relentlessly.
this is why i stopped playing pes 17 aswell, as there is no realism with the pressure, its too easy to play even if u play for the first time u will have ur friend who played only fifa will manage to play pes 17 and close u down with 2 or 3 players with them never being tired or losing stamina

*** catch-up ****

If Striker is quicker than Defender, that doesnt mean he is also quicker when controling the ball.
If Demo gets out, it is easy to test out.

this online test is a pleasant surprise ;)

most important thing is that 1vs1 matches are pretty much lag free, which means that hard pressure doesn't seem to work, you can pass around, use auto shield and outplay pressing oponent with ease ; crosses are weakened, and keepers catch even well connected headers ; things I couldn't execute in 2017 (tight dribbling) are now possible which is super cool

and the biggest surprise of them all - tried 3 vs CPU and it's a different monster, working in threesome ;) for a scoring opportunity and converting it is really rewarding, lots of fun and laughs in this mode, you have to cover your partner's mistakes in defence, help making runs in attack, dominate in midfield...what a fantastic mode wow

3vs 3 players doesn't work for me right now, can't connect to 3 different ppl, so it's vs CPU for now

Played 4 matches, don't know what to make of it . .everyone feels like they're 20 stone . .slow boat to China and I mean sloooowwwww . .. played on manual and passes are feeble .. roll a ball into either box and everybody panics and can't seem to clear it .. .it felt like Pes 2014 but slower . .players were walking behind me and coming away with the ball .. . .first match I scored 2 o.g's . .2nd match a 0-0 draw. . third match I won against one of the twirl around flip it up mob . ..last match just beaten by someone who must have played all morning he knew all the tricks and avenues to go down.

There are no catchup bugs. Had like 3 games. I am slightly dissapointed by the shooting and the less aggression by the players by default but other than that, I quite like it. I wish there was more controls for pushing/shoving/fouling players.

Btw, if you notice button delay/slowness, it's due to the latency.

I like it! I like it a lot! Just reduce the first touch pass accurancy, well passing overall, and its done.

Found it quite sluggish, a bit boring and overall uninspired.

I agree with the above comment about stamina, that thing has meant nothing for years, i think if you want a good game on line you got to follow nba2k where if you keep sprinting the players just become useless.

It seems to me it's the same path over and over, they make 1 arcade fast pes followed by a heavier slugghish one.

Essentially it's the same game as pes 2017 with a bit of button delay and heavier player models. Reminds me of pes 2014 somehow.

Not too convinced about ball physics either, i think pes 5 has better ball physics than all ps3-ps4 games.

Can it be fun? surely, is it a great step forward? no.

I don't know what to make of this. Since I'm an offline player mostly, I cannot judge it because it's online with a hint of lag which cause a very slight button delay and might cause people to think it's slower. Plus playing humans is completely different to playing AI. I did have fun playing Steve from here though. That was an unexpected surprise, lol.

Will wait for demo to judge.

Edit: oh and to call this a totally new game that has been in the making for 3 years and has nothing to do with pes 2017......... Right...

Last edited:
PA still a bit too assisted, but better than last year! Hopefully lesser teams/players are less accurate when it comes to passing.

Any one else noticed that there are Team Classes? Very welcome for online, hopefully less Real/ Barca.

Have played a few more games now and I think I've gotten used to it. Like people have said before you need to adjust how you play.
I went through a 4-5 game losing streak where I couldn't even score a goal, but once I switched to manual it clicked for me.
You need to be thoughtful with your midfield and defence while defending, but I think I've got the hang of it and I'm making loads of interceptions with my midfielders (when I first started playing I was rushing in all over the place).
I like the new advanced instruction called "Defense" I believe, where you can instruct a player not to go forward. I've put it on Kante and he's been there sweeping up in front of the defence.

The pace of the game is really good, if you time your injections of pace well with the right players you can cause havoc (Mbappe, Dembele and Pogba is a beast with the double tap burst of pace).

It's not all great stuff tho, referees need work still, am seeing a few fouls not given and a few advantages given and lost when he should just give the free kick.

I know it's an online beta with early code meant for testing the online, but I am impressed, if they have ironed out some of the problems on the later builds, it's gonna be a quality game.

I'm uploading a match I just had that ended 2-2 where I scored a great goal with Mbappe and won a penalty with him after a great burst of pace.

Have played a few more games now and I think I've gotten used to it. Like people have said before you need to adjust how you play.
I went through a 4-5 game losing streak where I couldn't even score a goal, but once I switched to manual it clicked for me.
You need to be thoughtful with your midfield and defence while defending, but I think I've got the hang of it and I'm making loads of interceptions with my midfielders (when I first started playing I was rushing in all over the place).
I like the new advanced instruction called "Defense" I believe, where you can instruct a player not to go forward. I've put it on Kante and he's been there sweeping up in front of the defence.

The pace of the game is really good, if you time your injections of pace well with the right players you can cause havoc (Mbappe, Dembele and Pogba is a beast with the double tap burst of pace).

It's not all great stuff tho, referees need work still, am seeing a few fouls not given and a few advantages given and lost when he should just give the free kick.

I know it's an online beta with early code meant for testing the online, but I am impressed, if they have ironed out some of the problems on the later builds, it's gone be a quality game.

I'm uploading a match I just had that ended 2-2 where I scored a great goal with Mbappe and won a penalty with him after a great burst of pace.

I'm sorry but I don't mean to piss on your parade, but I didn't adjust anything and played it just like I did 2016 and 2017 and clicked from the get go like nothing changed for me. 4 games played, won 3 and drawn 1. 2 assisted and 2 manual.

Back
Top Bottom