PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

One other thing Chris there's justifiable complaining and then there's nitpicking and never seeing any positives. .it's a thin line.
People who log in purely to slate the game for half an hour before logging off again do my tree in. It's trolling, and I don't get why those guys seemingly just want people to be unhappy, when they're perfectly happy with what they've got.

But as you've just said yourself, there are so many issues (and that list I quoted doesn't include stuff like squads in ML barely changing, retired players reincarnating) that - when someone says "I really like the set pieces" or something - I have to tell you, I find it really difficult not to jump straight to "does that really matter given the core gameplay problems and/or lack of non-gameplay depth" in my mind.

We give Konami such an easy ride (in my opinion - others think the opposite) and say that the current version is worth buying because they added X Y and Z, when it's A to W that needed the work, functions that are a bit broken or have had no depth for literal years.

Just my opinion - as you say, there's a fine line between being critical and trolling, but I'd like everyone to understand the anger (I'm not saying you don't, you give the game a fair review and you're a true ML player who knows the game and the faults inside out).

It's starting to click with me now. . .I think my Pes 2017 approach was half the problem. .I was beginning to think that we were fucked this year . .the demo looked like a mess and I could see what other people were complaining about. . so I started a few games today and after a few of them it started to come together . . the fixed tactics in the demo are preventing it showing it's real potential. . .keeping the ball and the odd dribble is what it's about instead of rushing up the wing and trying to cross . .patience and composure are the key. . .I had some great matches today and couldn't stop playing it . ..Top Player is better than Superstar to play . ..don't get me wrong the faults are still there but tweaking the advanced tactics helps. . .I'm optimistic about the game now and with a couple of patches it could be a really good game.

This and the bold part, so much this!
Since I started avoiding the sprint button more, I can handle it a lot better.
I still don´t dig defending though, but I guess it´s a learning curve.
In PES 2017 the most time I got in ball possession was, when the opponent received a ball and I was looking for the first touch error to steal it.
Doesn´t work here that well, which is good, as it´s not enough just holding down X.

keeper can stop a speeding bullet but not a flick shot. Proof of scripting. My keeper couldn't even stop a soft flick just in the box, it bounced off his hands he fell back and in goal.

Yes, that pisses me off as well and that was the first thought I had when watching that clip.

I scored this early on, game 2 or 3 (hence the lumpen passing) - I thought I'd set the game to Superstar so I was really worried the game was too easy. Turns out it was still on Regular.

I love the slight swerve on this shot. This is the level of natural movement the shooting needs far more regularly.

Lovely shot and lovely goal!.
It would kick me so much, if I had scored a goal like that with an intended low shot by :square: + :triangle:.

Was that on advanced shooting or did you just tap the button?

PES 2018 from what i have played in the demo is really back to old PES roots. It's a game the grows on you and the more you play, the more you discover different avenues of things to do and see and it's quite refreshing.
I very seldom score the same goal twice, and the CPU is never boring in their attack.

The good news is, whilst PES 2017, 2016 & 2015 were immediately enjoyable. the games got a little stale after a while. PES2018 seems not very enjoyably at first, but gets better slowly.

@ Chris Davies, i can see your point, but i don't agree.
Only a positive approach will influence Konami.

Do you think that the posts of somebody like ramgamer (i'm sorry, i've nothing against you and i agree about lots of things that concern you) will influence Konami? No they will see hilm as a troll, perhaps unjustly, but that is also the way i see him (i'm sorry, nothing personal, it's just an example).

Repeting the same argument a zillion times is counterproductive.

I hated the demo the first days, now it is starting to click (shame i'm such a bad defender, but that is because of me, not because of the game).

Maybe this people are too good? I'm a shite player and i still face a challenge...

That is perhaps why sliders are a good idea. But then again the people who play the NBA2K games a lot and very passionate do also complain (look at that thread).

To me it's not what these people write, it is how they write it...i wouldn't listen to most of them even if i agree with them.

Lovely shot and lovely goal!.
It would kick me so much, if I had scored a goal like that with an intended low shot by :square: + :triangle:.

Was that on advanced shooting or did you just tap the button?
It was advanced shooting, holding back + up to aim for the far post and filling the bar up quite a lot (not that you can see it!) This is what I love about advanced shooting, the variety. In the game before this I had a great shot which looped for the far corner, much less power but more of an arc. Saved well by the keeper otherwise I'd have thought to upload that too.

My point was only "try to understand the frustration" - Gerd, do you think Konami read any forums? No chance.

That's not to say I don't think they listen - look at Adam's tweets about the game shipping with no advanced instructions set (so that the AI isn't as crazy). But he's got enough to listen to on social media, without actively seeking out more.

To me, Evo-Web is like a permanent 24/7 old ladies' coffee morning where we're all having a chat about PES, but we're a bit frayed around the edges because we've all been trapped here for so long and some of us have started saying "does this coffee taste okay to you?" And occasionally, someone you previously liked will strip naked, swing their tits around and scream "mine are bigger than yours" and "ADAM LIKES MINE MORE THAN YOURS", before security ejects them from the building (perhaps it's the only way out).

Believe me, I agree. I just wanted to make the point that those guys aren't moaning for fun. They loved the series and they see us essentially drawing up a list of pros and cons, where the cons list is 10x longer, but then saying "it's great, can't wait to play it". We are all crazy. But I genuinely believe every member here loves PES and wants it to be great.

The moaning is really annoying when it becomes broken-record territory (I think I may be in danger of entering that now so I'll stop now). But it comes from a place of love for the game. Otherwise, they wouldn't still be here.

One thing i still notice – and it has been the case as long as i can remember – is the strange body angles when shooting.

Let me (try) to explain…
A right footed striker is going towards goal, he is approaching somewhere at the left side of the goal.
I would expect him to turn his body to the right and then shoot, giving him a good option to either shoot to the left or right side of the goal.

What I see a lot is that – even though being more to the left of the goal already – he’s turning his body even more to the left…and then shoots towards the left of the goal.

That way he makes it harder for himself to score. He could go/fall to the left with his body while trying a finess shot in the opposite corner, but instead he goes/falls to the left and strikes the ball hard to the left side of the goal, giving himself only a very small area of the goal to put this ball, making it hard for himself and easy for the keeper.

As said this has always been the case, never understood this really.

Hope this make's sense. I see the cpu doing it a lot.

My point was only "try to understand the frustration" - Gerd, do you think Konami read any forums? No chance.

That's not to say I don't think they listen - look at Adam's tweets about the game shipping with no advanced instructions set (so that the AI isn't as crazy). But he's got enough to listen to on social media, without actively seeking out more.

To me, Evo-Web is like a permanent 24/7 old ladies' coffee morning where we're all having a chat about PES, but we're a bit frayed around the edges because we've all been trapped here for so long and some of us have started saying "does this coffee taste okay to you?" And occasionally, someone you previously liked will strip naked, swing their tits around and scream "mine are bigger than yours" and "ADAM LIKES MINE MORE THAN YOURS", before security ejects them from the building (perhaps it's the only way out).

Believe me, I agree. I just wanted to make the point that those guys aren't moaning for fun. They loved the series and they see us essentially drawing up a list of pros and cons, where the cons list is 10x longer, but then saying "it's great, can't wait to play it". We are all crazy. But I genuinely believe every member here loves PES and wants it to be great.

The moaning is really annoying when it becomes broken-record territory (I think I may be in danger of entering that now so I'll stop now). But it comes from a place of love for the game. Otherwise, they wouldn't still be here.
There u said it mate, we all love pes and we want it to be great but with the current state sorry the moaning is gonna continue for quite some time now xd

The posts this morning have made me chuckle.Its pretty undeniable at times the cpu ai is almost super human,giving you a split second to react to a bit of movement that can leave your last defender standing.Or that uncanny ability when it wants to get in behind you with a killer pass.Ive had lots of games where Ive felt like I'm just hanging on ,with my only option being to just retain the ball.It can feel relentless.

It's going to be interesting how this all pans out.Whether the tactical options in the final game
make a difference or it's just the devs ramping up the heart of the game to make it a offensive showcase.

Chris Davies post are excellently and I agree...

I am to afraid of venting my frustrations in here as there seem to be a few people that take it all very personally

I have played the game a lot this morning and there is a lot about this game which is beautiful

Just had a lovely 0-0 with Brasilia v Deutschland

What I have noticed about this demo is that cpu really does get more last ditch tackles in when you try to get a shot off in opponent area which I like

Keepers are the best they have ever been too although still a bit too floaty when dealing with crosses

I have a love hate relationship with this demo

It's very very good in so many areas

I just wish it wouldn't get so heated and argumentative in here when someone points out a flaw...

It's very very good in so many areas
I'm hoping that playing the AI with no advanced instructions will change the way the AI plays (well, I mean it definitely will). Nice that Adam's said they're all going to be turned off by default in the full game.

It's a bit naff to have to rely on option files to save us (those of us who play the AI anyway), but saying that, at least we can. Looking forward to seeing a few videos of the AI with no advanced instructions set.

Bring us back to the days where we were given a game with no PA/shooting/game speed/advanced instruction differences etc and we could easily adjudge if it was good or not.

The variety in options outlined above now does somewhat explain the variety in opinion with regard to the game, and this does not include any underlying issues that are present.
Good point.

I'm hoping that playing the AI with no advanced instructions will change the way the AI plays (well, I mean it definitely will). Nice that Adam's said they're all going to be turned off by default in the full game.

It's a bit naff to have to rely on option files to save us (those of us who play the AI anyway), but saying that, at least we can. Looking forward to seeing a few videos of the AI with no advanced instructions set.

Good point.

But the thing is, we still want them to use the Advanced Instructions right? sure them being switched off makes the game playable but a fix where the AI can still use them sparingly and intelligently would be the ideal scenario, that means anyone who plays offline with advanced instructions switched on is going to have a really crap experience.

I actually asked Adam about this on twitter to clarify

https://twitter.com/Mowlds/status/903978830175625217

I really like the game and I can´t wait to play the full release.

However, this video shows the biggest gripe I have with this game:

- 3:53: trying to defend Messi, the defender just walks past him. That never happened in PES 2017.
and worse:
- 4:53: how the defender let the ball roll over his feet.

It happens quite often and I really hate when it does...specially when it happens slower on speed -1.

1.shit on new release
2 praise previous
3 repeat

A couple of things,I've seen a few people changing their minds when it comes to this game.
The first impressions being negative from them,then something happends.
They start to play the game a bit differently compared to previous games,suddenly the game is alright,the bugs and glitches that were screamed out as unacceptable suddenly becomes ok.

I'm not very acceptable to new things,takes me a while to get used to it/accept it.
Reading through posts here since the release,I'm not the only one it seems.
I'm not gonna state that learning how to set up the game,and most importantly,learn how to play,is the key here.
I'm not....

With that said,haven't played the demo much,still on 17 and 15,with the odd 18 game every now and then.
And add the competitive nature of myclub/ML and a proper setup regarding tactics
This game will blow pretty much anything away

I really like the game and I can´t wait to play the full release.

However, this video shows the biggest gripe I have with this game:

- 3:53: trying to defend Messi, the defender just walks past him. That never happened in PES 2017.
and worse:
- 4:53: how the defender let the ball roll over his feet.

It happens quite often and I really hate when it does...specially when it happens slower on speed -1.
Is it a game speed issue?
Same mechanics on zero?

Bring us back to the days where we were given a game with no PA/shooting/game speed/advanced instruction differences etc and we could easily adjudge if it was good or not.

The variety in options outlined above now does somewhat explain the variety in opinion with regard to the game, and this does not include any underlying issues that are present.
Very good post mate.
It's hard judging a very complex game with so many options.

Sliders is the way to go with any modern sports game, one for the following aspects of the game would gave most people what they want in a football game

Aggression - How much the opposition attempts to get the ball of you
Defense to attack - how quickly teams go from one to the other or pass it around
Passing Accuracy
Shooting Accuracy
Response

Do you think that the posts of somebody like ramgamer (i'm sorry, i've nothing against you and i agree about lots of things that concern you) will influence Konami? No they will see hilm as a troll, perhaps unjustly, but that is also the way i see him (i'm sorry, nothing personal, it's just an example).

I hated the demo the first days, now it is starting to click (shame i'm such a bad defender, but that is because of me, not because of the game).

Maybe this people are too good? I'm a shite player and i still face a challenge...

That is perhaps why sliders are a good idea. But then again the people who play the NBA2K games a lot and very passionate do also complain (look at that thread).

To me it's not what these people write, it is how they write it...i wouldn't listen to most of them even if i agree with them.
So true.
My girlfriend often ask me when I get my fits playing Pes "is the game really the worst piece of shit game you ever played?"
I think you can imagine how I behave when saying that...
And yeah,I agree,it's down to the fact that I pretty much suck at it,or at least have sucked at it (still go apeshit when scripting hits) but when I started up my 2nd ML on Pes 17 a month ago or so, I decided to learn every aspect of the game and how to play it.

There's tons of good tips out there on it,Pesmastery being very helpful.
And I think people who know me through the ML thread can vouch for a big change in the way I play and how I play and how to approach it.
Long story short,learn the fucking game.
Good post Gerd

They changed how to do a "ball through own legs feint" to holding R1 and nothing else.

So what is now the controls to let the ball go through own legs for a teammate to run onto? (which was previously assigned to R1)

I hope the PC version will take the purists away into their own dimension and let them mod the hell out of the gameplay, tactics, Camera, stadiums, teams and everyone can be happy!

They changed how to do a "ball through own legs feint" to holding R1 and nothing else.

So what is now the controls to let the ball go through own legs for a teammate to run onto? (which was previously assigned to R1)

If there is a teammate behind you then your player won't chase the ball, they'll just leave it for the other guy.

Sliders is the way to go with any modern sports game, one for the following aspects of the game would gave most people what they want in a football game

Aggression - How much the opposition attempts to get the ball of you
Defense to attack - how quickly teams go from one to the other or pass it around
Passing Accuracy
Shooting Accuracy
Response

Sliders are the only reason I can play FIFA for around 8 months solid. In PES the AI is too easy, which means there is no longevity to the game. Once you figure out how easy it is to beat the AI the game is ruined. This is why I never even bought PES17. In PES18 the attacking AI looks to have improved a little which is good, but the defensive AI has been terrible. I hope the legendary difficulty level can save it.

Chris, i know why Konami doesn't read forums like this.
Because of all the excessive moaning and because people here write that they wish Seabass and his family get cancer or because people insult Adam Bhatti...in the end you just stop reading to protect yourself.

If people would have moaned less, Konami would read evo-web, Adam used to be a member of this community...

Just pre-ordered the Xbox one version from simply.Not bad 35 beans with shipping.They normally ship 4 days early.Will probably also pick up a cheap cd key for the pc version when ive seen how that shapes up.Went with the PS4 version last year.

I certainly appreciate that for many buying both footie games isn't always a option,so demos and early impressions are how there choice,buying decision is made

I don't buy as many games as I once did and albeit the new dishonoured there's not a lot else on my radar except possibly the other game(I haven't written that off yet).

Still satisfied with the demo,I'm going to get a lot of bang for my buck this year.Just hoping the single player game matches how good this game can be against friends.I do love my master league and single player league journeys.

Back
Top Bottom