PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Apologies if this is a dull post and adds nothing to discussion, but it's coming from my experiences and having not read any impressions on here for free if ruining the game.

First and foremost, I am really enjoying the demo. There are some issues but would I prefer to play either FIFA or PES 2017? Absolutely not. It's a massive improvement on 17 imo.

The positives:
  • Super smooth
  • Dribbling great
  • Lots of brilliant little animations
  • CPU defending on top player agressive
  • Variation (bar shooting)
  • Subtle but noticible first touch error
  • Keepers (for the most part) hugely improved
  • Decent individuality in CPU so players. Top players are difficult to stop and strength/speed/tackling ability/dribbling all well reflected.
The negatives:
  • Floaty keeper animation
  • Keepers too slow off their line
  • Not enough fouls
  • Midfield can go missing. Not always an issue.
  • Shooting lacks variation and can be too easy to score.
All in all in REALLY enjoying the demo. The issues above aren't ganebreaking for me and I can still easily enjoy the positives. There's huge scope to score all kinds of goals and I don't feel like I need to play a particular way. The game feels far more refined than it has in recent years which should be a given...but it's PES.

The main thing for me is I'm having fun. I could dwell on the issues but would much prefer to enjoy what's good. Looking forward to the full game.

Apologies if this is a dull post and adds nothing to discussion, but it's coming from my experiences and having not read any impressions on here for free if ruining the game.

First and foremost, I am really enjoying the demo. There are some issues but would I prefer to play either FIFA or PES 2017? Absolutely not. It's a massive improvement on 17 imo.

The positives:
  • Super smooth
  • Dribbling great
  • Lots of brilliant little animations
  • CPU defending on top player agressive
  • Variation (bar shooting)
  • Subtle but noticible first touch error
  • Keepers (for the most part) hugely improved
  • Decent individuality in CPU so players. Top players are difficult to stop and strength/speed/tackling ability/dribbling all well reflected.
The negatives:
  • Floaty keeper animation
  • Keepers too slow off their line
  • Not enough fouls
  • Midfield can go missing. Not always an issue.
  • Shooting lacks variation and can be too easy to score.
All in all in REALLY enjoying the demo. The issues above aren't ganebreaking for me and I can still easily enjoy the positives. There's huge scope to score all kinds of goals and I don't feel like I need to play a particular way. The game feels far more refined than it has in recent years which should be a given...but it's PES.

The main thing for me is I'm having fun. I could dwell on the issues but would much prefer to enjoy what's good. Looking forward to the full game.

How I feel in a nutshell.Nicely put.

363cb7ba0b888724db91d893b31a3b6d.png

when i asked this user about the patch details he replied:
Patch notes: "Gameplay adjustment. Shooting and passing balance."

hold your horses, community... ;)

My point was only "try to understand the frustration" - Gerd, do you think Konami read any forums? No chance.

That's not to say I don't think they listen - look at Adam's tweets about the game shipping with no advanced instructions set (so that the AI isn't as crazy). But he's got enough to listen to on social media, without actively seeking out more.

To me, Evo-Web is like a permanent 24/7 old ladies' coffee morning where we're all having a chat about PES, but we're a bit frayed around the edges because we've all been trapped here for so long and some of us have started saying "does this coffee taste okay to you?" And occasionally, someone you previously liked will strip naked, swing their tits around and scream "mine are bigger than yours" and "ADAM LIKES MINE MORE THAN YOURS", before security ejects them from the building (perhaps it's the only way out).

Believe me, I agree. I just wanted to make the point that those guys aren't moaning for fun. They loved the series and they see us essentially drawing up a list of pros and cons, where the cons list is 10x longer, but then saying "it's great, can't wait to play it". We are all crazy. But I genuinely believe every member here loves PES and wants it to be great.

The moaning is really annoying when it becomes broken-record territory (I think I may be in danger of entering that now so I'll stop now). But it comes from a place of love for the game. Otherwise, they wouldn't still be here.
Overall I've seen the demo as a step back, to the extent that I'm worried about the full game. I might have to wait and see whether the positioning and the player awareness is fixed in a patch - right now I'm seeing too many passes are just allowed to run through to an attacker, whether it's aerial or on the floor. The passing in general is way too heavy on the back heels and flicks, in particular the CPU passing is galling with it's no-look backheels and instant throughballs to unleash wingers who simply aren't tracked. And most of all I'm finding way too often that the positioning of my teammates is as guilty of eliminating any midfield battle as the jacked-up CPU passing vision and accuracy.

There are definitely some positives - the dribbling is way too powerful right now (again, it's the passivity of defence causing it) but it does feel like a joy to control, and there's a looseness to how skilful players carry the ball and change direction at speed which is really reminiscent of real life top flight forwards. The bounce and bobble on the ball feels more natural and believable, and the extent to which ground passing lifts up off the turf when you charge manual passes up is delightful.

My biggest concern overall is that, whereas with the beta I really felt like I could defend with my entire team and create as much of a midfield battle as I wanted, a handful of key changes have really hindered this aspect of the game for me. I can still see a lot of the positives from the beta but a lot of the nuance and subtlety has gone due to certain tweaks being way off. I'm hoping this is easy to remedy, at least as a day one patch. I guess for now I'll wait and see.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here romagnoli . . especially the winger situation. ..I was shocked when it happened the first time. There I was defending ok, playing from right to left and thought I had it all sussed when the opposition defender hits this long searching ball over my head and out to the wing. .I said to myself . ."why did he do that"? And then I noticed a little head appearing down at the bottom right of the screen and it's the winger who casually picks up the pass and proceeds to sell me two dummies and leaves me stranded and strolls through to place it in the corner. When they turn you inside out in this game your defender tends to stop like a statue and behaves like he's chasing a ghost . . .weird stuff . .can't imagine trying to defend that in every match in the full game.

Chris, i know why Konami doesn't read forums like this.
Because of all the excessive moaning and because people here write that they wish Seabass and his family get cancer or because people insult Adam Bhatti...in the end you just stop reading to protect yourself.

If people would have moaned less, Konami would read evo-web, Adam used to be a member of this community...
No....

No one in here has wished cancer on anyone else from what I read last few weeks..

and if someone does say that it has nothing to do with pes and they should be banned

this issue from what I gather is there is a small group on posters here which get extremely offended or annoyed if someone raises concerned about pes

Super Leeds got annoyed with me because I repeated myself about poor shooting mechanic and he was right to do this because I was just going over the same thing again and again

I learnt from that and haven't mention it again

Look we all want pes to be good. What's is the point in silencing people who don't like the glaring issues which are obviously still apparent in this new demo??

I bought pes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and all old iss games on SNES, n64 etc etc

let's say I spent 30 GBP on every one of those, that's over 300 GBP spent on just the PlayStation games alone before iss etc and having to fork out for the actual console just for the game (I only play football game)

My point in this ramble is that: we have the right to criticise a game. We spend hard earned cash on this game every single year and we want it to be be the very best again.

why some people here get so irate because someone makes a valid point about the elements of pes that need fixing is beyond me

Konami don't care about us. Remember that. We don't owe them anything...they owe us for sticking by them.

We give Konami such an easy ride (in my opinion - others think the opposite) and say that the current version is worth buying because they added X Y and Z, when it's A to W that needed the work, functions that are a bit broken or have had no depth for literal years.

Just my opinion - as you say, there's a fine line between being critical and trolling, but I'd like everyone to understand the anger (I'm not saying you don't, you give the game a fair review and you're a true ML player who knows the game and the faults inside out).

Pretty much. I think the yearly collective facepalm is explained by the failure of konami to realise what they actually got right last year and tweak and build on that. Graphics and animations will improve every year, but gameplay balance? I don't see any "3 year plan", sorry. Most people say that last years demo was fantastic (and said so last year, not now), but the failure to build on that is the frustrating part. Get gameplay balance right (you were close), add depth, make sure balance is not broken, repeat.

The problem is not that the game is not perfect but that konami seems to move forward with no confidence in their own product, but with knee-jerk reactions to feedback drawn from a hat. Now of course this is just my opinion as well, and note that I never said that this is not a good and fun game that people are wrong to enjoy. There's plenty to enjoy. People that cross the line into trolling territory are the ones who jump on others with the "how dare you enjoy something that I hate"/"how dare you criticise something that I enjoy" attitude.

1.shit on new release
2 praise previous
3 repeat

A couple of things,I've seen a few people changing their minds when it comes to this game.
The first impressions being negative from them,then something happends.
They start to play the game a bit differently compared to previous games,suddenly the game is alright,the bugs and glitches that were screamed out as unacceptable suddenly becomes ok.

I'm not very acceptable to new things,takes me a while to get used to it/accept it.
Reading through posts here since the release,I'm not the only one it seems.
I'm not gonna state that learning how to set up the game,and most importantly,learn how to play,is the key here.
I'm not....

With that said,haven't played the demo much,still on 17 and 15,with the odd 18 game every now and then.
And add the competitive nature of myclub/ML and a proper setup regarding tactics
This game will blow pretty much anything away
I dont think i changed my mind or opinion at all about this game, the flaws that i dont want are there and still there, and its ruining it..

I've not seen the chip shot issue but I'd imagine there's a correlation between this and the lethargy when chasing lobbed through balls. There's definitely something off around player reactions which I think is universal across the defensive game.
Thanks. Sound a bit strange though, will try it out later.
I really don't like this new setup. It's obviously meant to be more intuitive but it really isn't.

I'd get it if they wanted to swap R1 and L1+R1 around, but sticking them on one button just means the game ends up just doing the old L1+R1 dummy & chase every time. I've not seen it make the right choice once yet.

I've not seen the chip shot issue but I'd imagine there's a correlation between this and the lethargy when chasing lobbed through balls. There's definitely something off around player reactions which I think is universal across the defensive game.

I really don't like this new setup. It's obviously meant to be more intuitive but it really isn't.

I'd get it if they wanted to swap R1 and L1+R1 around, but sticking them on one button just means the game ends up just doing the old L1+R1 dummy & chase every time. I've not seen it make the right choice once yet.
hm... on fm, when i hit a ground pass really hard (so hard it should travel to that far away player), i hold R1 (nothing else) and let the ball go through my players leg (the guy that is between me and the intended target)... then picking the other player far behind him to collect the ball.

People have the right to express their opinions, Please don't go for them personally because to be honest most of the complains have been valid points and PROVEN with videos and screenshots.

The mods are the ones who decide what's suitable and not for the forum and they have been doing a great job balancing things so far.

As for the game, The question is why is it better than PES 2017?

-No new marquee game modes
-Even worse AI
-Less fouls
-More assisted passing
-Little improvement on shooting
- No new significant licenses or stadiums
- Usain Bolt + Million capacity stadium

And a couple of hilarious posts recommending not using the sprint button and the other asking people to play full manual, Is that really a solution?

I don't think a day 1 patch will solve things, But I think that the PC version and the improved online experience could help this year's game a little.

you are aware your list is your opinion? you want a personalised game?

Again you lot are getting personal, yes it is my opinion based on the majority of the feedback which I agree with most of it.

If you wanna question any of my points then go ahead, Otherwise then no need for these type of replies.

People have the right to express their opinions, Please don't go for them personally because to be honest most of the complains have been valid points and PROVEN with videos and screenshots.

The mods are the ones who decide what's suitable and not for the forum and they have been doing a great job balancing things so far.

-Even worse AI
-Less fouls
-More assisted passing

And a couple of hilarious posts recommending not using the sprint button and the other asking people to play full manual, Is that really a solution?

I don't think a day 1 patch will solve things, But I think that the PC version and the improved online experience could help this year's game a little.

PES 2018 > PES 2017. And it's not even by a small margin, its safe to say it's near perfect gameplay wise.

The guy said fouls were nonexistent in PES 2015. At least try to be aware of what he said. Clearly he's a casual cuz I remember PES 2015 specifically for the excessive amount of fouls and cards given by referee. He says fouls were fixed on PES 2017 even tho it barely had fouls. Not sure what he's playing or smoking.

That's my article and I can assure you that I'm far from a casual fan. My PS4 is pretty much a PES-only machine apart from Uncharted which I just got into. PES 2014, after the last patch, was probably the best game at simulating fouls. It was supposed to be the building block for which the new PES foundation was to be constructed but the transition from PS3/Xbox360 to the PS4/XB1 wasn't as smooth as I would have liked and IMO PES 2015 suffered greatly, especially with the M.A.S.S. collision detection engine. You could full-on turbo should charge into attacking players and the ref would turn a blind eye. I played 4 years of ML in 2017 and apart from penalties, I thought fouls were OK. I would see an average of 4-5 a game except in rivalry matches when the CPU aggression would get ramped up and they would hack you down repeatedly.

I agree with you in that 2018>2017 BUT it's disappointing to see some of the same issues (and new issues) still continue to rear their ugly head.

I always really enjoy people's opinions.Good,bad,negative,indifferent or just plain leftfield.

Never dampens my opinion of the game or what I see.

The longer the posts the better and I appreciate the intelligence and varying writing style's.People don't have to be a wanna be j r Tolkien,to make a valid and constructive point.

There's great community here,and it never really hurts if someone has a bee in the bonnet about the game and want to rage a bit(constructively).It just adds to the discusssion.

Chris, i know why Konami doesn't read forums like this.
Because of all the excessive moaning and because people here write that they wish Seabass and his family get cancer or because people insult Adam Bhatti...in the end you just stop reading to protect yourself.

If people would have moaned less, Konami would read evo-web, Adam used to be a member of this community...

The most likely reason as to why they don't have a vested interest in our opinions is that we are a minuscule, niche, and aging community that represents a very small percentage of their user-base. I mean hell, we look back with fond memories to games that were released before a lot of the current crop of PES players were even born. We're not important in the grand scheme of things. Just a drop in the bucket.

its better than pes 2017, but its better only at animation and graphics wise...unfortunately.

At this moment I agree with you add in the AI doing good skill moves, pace of the game too im sure once the full 2018 games out i will never go back but I just played 3 ML games on 2017 everything felt tighter and the AI were proactive each game closing down fouling me and generally aggressive right now I enjoyed it more the challenge it gave me but hopefully team spirit and correct tactics bring 2018 alive

I did read from ppl who have the full game that Legend difficulty especially away games are insanely difficult

PES 2018 > PES 2017. And it's not even by a small margin, its safe to say it's near perfect gameplay wise.

Now if someone had said the exact statement but with PES 2017>PES2018... People will attack him as it's only his opinion, Being negative and ask him for proof.

You make a claim that it's near perfect and is better than 2017, Can you go more into details because otherwise you're just making a general statement that means nothing (No offense intended)

By the way I think 2018 is already superior to 2017 with graphics,keepers, dribbling and game speed if it's kept like the beta

The most likely reason as to why they don't have a vested interest in our opinions is that we are a minuscule, niche, and aging community that represents a very small percentage of their user-base. I mean hell, we look back with fond memories to games that were released before a lot of the current crop of PES players were even born. We're not important in the grand scheme of things. Just a drop in the bucket.
How can we be minuscule when still people who play the other game still think that fifa is better than this game and is more balanced less flawed etc...i dont think they gained much by making this game more catered towards fifa fanbase...they didn t do good aswell to their trusted fanbase which means us

Go easy on the aging part.

-Even worse AI
-Less fouls
-More assisted passing

Agreed. Konami have gotten really lazy when it comes to innovating with new modes and it's put me off the game in a way I haven't thought much about before. It worries me as it suggests that the development team aren't really allowed to impart new ideas or come up with 'out of the box' concepts. They're understandably very interested in working the core game year-on-year but it's as if that's where all their resources are allocated. Let's not talk about Master League because it's been the same thing for years. It's not really very fun anymore. The novelty wore off many moons ago and they haven't done much with it since they added the Europa League and Champs League.

Perhaps this reflects my age but there was once upon a time when games sold themselves through new ideas, not merely perfecting the formula. It's the kind of thing a lot of developers do these days, though. They have an idea, they refine it year-on-year until you forget why it was fun because it becomes more of the same thing at the end of the day until you get worn out and just don't care as much as you do (and then nostalgia enters through the glass darkly).

EA get a lot of vitriol over the internet airwaves but they did sort of add something innovative and new with the ultimate team card pack mode. Something like Battlegrounds also came in and shook up what was becoming a bit of a stagnant online shooter scene. Oh, and Rocket League, which is actually the best football game on the market right now. Just a completely different beast to FIFA and PES (much as PES used to be a different beast to its competitors).

Just a few thoughts.

Edit: EA also added that Journey mode, which I haven't personally played.

Last edited:
Agreed. Konami have gotten really lazy when it comes to innovating with new modes and it's put me off the game in a way I haven't thought much about before. It worries me as it suggests that the development team aren't really allowed to impart new ideas or come up with 'out of the box' concepts. They're understandably very interested in working the core game year-on-year but it's as if that's where all their resources are allocated. Let's not talk about Master League because it's been the same thing for years. It's not really very fun anymore. The novelty wore off many moons ago and they haven't done much with it since they added the Europa League and Champs League.

Perhaps this reflects my age but there was once upon a time when games sold themselves through new ideas, not merely perfecting the formula. It's the kind of thing a lot of developers do these days, though. They have an idea, they refine it year-on-year until you forget why it was fun because it becomes more of the same thing at the end of the day until you get worn out and just don't care as much as you do (and then nostalgia enters through the glass darkly).

EA get a lot of vitriol over the internet airwaves but they did sort of add something innovative and new with the ultimate team card pack mode. Something like Battlegrounds also came in and shook up what was becoming a bit of a stagnant online shooter scene. Oh, and Rocket League, which is actually the best football game on the market right now. Just a completely different beast to FIFA and PES (much as PES used to be a different beast to its competitors).

Just a few thoughts. Does nobody think their disinterest in PES might be down to this?
I only ever bought pes for Master League back in the good times and have to agree that it needs a huge overhaul.

why don't konami put any effort into Master League? Well I think we all know why ...myclub. They have to cater for the younger generation of pes player now which is why in my opinion the shooting is the way it is (so Joe Bloggs can get the ball with his favourite player neymar or Messi and drill the ball into the back of the net with ease.)

Pes 2017 Master League got very extremely boring very quickly. There just isn't enough depth to it and a lot of people like myself want to play as a Premier League side...well...playing at the same 4 or 5 stadiums every year is such a chore. Then we have Cup games STILL at a 'neutral' stadium (I mean, konami, seriously?!)

Signing players far too easy still. I was buying ridiculously good players when I played as Sunderland in pes 2017. Sunderland for god sake!

We will never see huge changes or improvements to the creaking old Master League simply because konami don't care about it.

Now it's all about myclub and opening cards or balls of whatever it is you do in that mode.

I agree with you.I don't think your blind to the tiny adjustments that could potentially make this near perfect by release.Others feel this way and my optimism remains intact.

No pes or any other football game has ever been perfect for me.Its just this is what I hoped and imagined pes would be back when the Xbox 360 and PS3 rolled out.

I dont think it's as flawed,or are the issue's as bad as some have expressed.Im going to reserve my final judgement till I play finished code.But without wanting to sound like a scratch record,I'm already very satisfied.

It maybe age,realism or just a realisation that your never going to please everyone.People perceive things how they want.Its a conspiracy,konami don't care and maybe are a little bit seduced by the other games presentation,which honestly konami haven't come anywhere near yet.I don't mean animation,player modelling or faces,but that's another discussion.

They have been playing catch up and I'm more then satisfied with the direction and state pes is now in.Im not interested in turf wars or knocking the other mans game.They both have great assets.My critique of the other game will be just as objective and fair.On the other thread of course.

Last edited:
What I find interesting is that the way the sport is heading now, The market is over saturated with analysis, stats and tactical details. This has even made game makers include a lot of in depth statistics, passing percentages and so on.Even the tactics screen has stuff like gegenpessing and tiki taka, Pretty much advanced concepts in footballing terms.

Then the actual gameplay is becoming a diluted scripted ping pong passing fest year after year. It's actually getting worse as we go, So what exactly is Konami's vision if they have any?

EA introduced sliders and every year they add new game modes, Not perfect but every year there's something new like the journey,training players and other marquee features besides the FUT nonsense.

As for the feedback, The people enjoying the arcade are the ones who will throw the game after a week because they're usually shallow in their approach to the game and can't appreciate the real beauty of it.

Sliders is the way to go with any modern sports game, one for the following aspects of the game would gave most people what they want in a football game

Aggression - How much the opposition attempts to get the ball of you
Defense to attack - how quickly teams go from one to the other or pass it around
Passing Accuracy
Shooting Accuracy
Response

A great feature for offline users. You can imagine that these would be fixed default values for online, so maybe that ship has sailed. And that's what we're given to try and fix each year with editing: konami's next online version of the gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom