PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Unfortunately the only ones who are in tears laughing now are Konami people.

I didnt expect big gameplay patch.
But as much as they were able to break the game with small tweaks that came after DP4, I was hoping that they will fix few things now (like long shots, or our AI team mates being in the way and tripping over each other)

Anyway, my twitter is already full of:
- hmm.. ball seems more free now... bit like in the demo...
- game feels more responsive...
- is it just me or long shots are better..?

So it begins...
"Guess if-and-what has changed"...

Played 2 matches before. And spent half an hour in training trying the shooting. Everything is exactly the same.

Yeah im not even gonna entertain it this time.
If you're still enjoying PES 2017, just don't. I've lost too many hours this year to trying to make myself enjoy certain games. Now I'm really enjoying PES 2017 (alongside the other game) - I don't need to force myself to play something else just because it's the latest one, with all of the downsides it has (when compared to 2017). It's insanity to do that, and I've been insane too long.

I'll never get it day one again. I've bought 2019 middle year on discount and I've fully regret it. If 2020 it's a total disaster of variety and IA as it is this year I'll just not get it at all.. no point in gifting them money for 30 scarce hours in which I'm trying desperately to force myself liking something so bland and targeted to other consumers.

I’m not getting PES or FIFA on day one ever again.

We can ‘make’ the other game good though with the vast amount of control changes, sliders and difficulty settings.

PES - when it’s bad, you’re stuck with it.

Quote me on this and I hope I’m wrong:- PES 2020 will have the very same generic Stadia we’ve had for years. San Siro listed twice. And they’ll introduce some crappy League no one cares about like the New Zealand Premier Division or some shit.

I can’t and I won’t play another Master League at the same, tired, lifeless, 5 or so stadiums. I’m just so bored with it.

If you're still enjoying PES 2017, just don't. I've lost too many hours this year to trying to make myself enjoy certain games. Now I'm really enjoying PES 2017 (alongside the other game) - I don't need to force myself to play something else
100%. I really like 17 and for the first time this year, since I got it, I dont have any urge to try something else. No need for a change every few days. Im perfectly happy with 17.
Havent touched 19 since.

I was just hoping for some fixes, as there is still so many people playing it.. and they deserve something better than this..
Especially that we both know it was ok(ish) up until DP4.. so it didnt require miracles to tweak it back.. real shame.

I´m also playing 2017 and it feels like there´s no scripting on it... compared with 2018 and 2019 of course. I´m playing superstar PA0, wich was pretty much impossible this year. I just eliminated Barça 3-1 agg. It was tough, specially second leg, as I could barely touch the ball. They forced me play long ball all the time due to their pressure. Neymar and Messi were pulling tricks all the time. Very nice overall experience!

Next match I won 4-1! PA0 on Superstar, against Villareal. Totally diferent match, as they were playing more defensive, but I managed to open their defence with fast passing on the final third. After the first goal, they started attacking and my counters were just to clinical for them. PES 2019 would never let me have such an experience.

I played ONE match on PC last night with suggested mods. It played nicely.

After update, the game plays like it used to (i.e. crap)

The faces mean bollocks if you cannot deliver good gameplay.

D3JHvYGWsAEjUIq

Diaby is the only face I've seen so far that doesn't look like an inmate at the PES asylum.

Bet all Pes 19 and Barcelona fans shouted scripting when they saw Villareal Vs Barcelona the other day (one of the best game I've ever seen (0-2 to 4-2 then unfortunately 4-4)

Yes, I saw that one too. Of course that bloody Messi freekick has to go in. Just like in PES 16. God, I hate Barcelona.

There was a similar life-imitating-PES encounter here last night in the German Cup quarter finals, Bayern vs Heidenheim (a second league team): 1-0, 1-2, 4-2, 4-4, 5-4. It had the typical overpowered underdogs air about it, you often have in the game. Seabass (“every game should tell a story”) would have loved it.

Yes, I saw that one too. Of course that bloody Messi freekick has to go in. Just like in PES 16. God, I hate Barcelona.

There was a similar life-imitating-PES encounter here last night in the German Cup quarter finals, Bayern vs Heidenheim (a second league team): 1-0, 1-2, 4-2, 4-4, 5-4. It had the typical overpowered underdogs air about it, you often have in the game. Seabass (“every game should tell a story”) would have loved it.
What a match that was!!

Only read about the BM v Heidenheim game,heartbreaker!
I think both La Liga (Barca too far ahead though) and BL with BM and BVB going at it are great to follow this year,i usually watch a few La Liga games per weekend and pretty much all Serie A fixtures,use to have BL on Eurosport ,to bad they lost that.
Seabass would as you say,approve!

There's a lot of talk about Konami doesn't care about anymore. Personally idk if they do or don't.

If they don't, well that sucks. But the truth is if they did care, they'd realize that there are no quick fixes for what's wrong with this game and, instead of some failed attempt of putting plasters over the issues, they'd put their time and energy into revamping the entire offline experience and AI.

And that could take 2, 3 years to accomplish. Truth is if Konami, right this second, really cares about and prioritizes ML/BAL/etc, we likely wouldn't see the fruits of their labour for a while.

Because the game and, offline specifically, have fundamental issues at their core. Fundamental issues that don't get changed overnight or in a patch. And that's why games shouldn't be made in a year. There's not enough time to address everything. Everything is rushed, even when things are prioritized.

Am I optimistic that they're slowly working revamping offline? Not particularly. I know what the general directive is in AAA game development right now; publishers want MTX revenue because it's pretty much uncapped earning potential and increasing revenue is what makes the share holders happy.

But I don't think they don't care about offline. They just spend their time working on the things they are directed to work on.

So when a certain spokesperson/community manager/whatever mentions things like a 3 year plan, I don't roll my eyes. Because I know that crap will probably take that long given how stop and start yearly cycles are. And I watch to see how they go about implementing said plan. That doesn't mean I'll just give them money though.

I've bought the last 3. 2020, I may need some convincing to pick up even at a discount given how disappointing 2019 was but more importantly because I'm having fun with 2017.

But I will forever be curious to see how, what's been my favorite sports franchise, will attempt to improve on the year before.

And that could take 2, 3 years to accomplish. Truth is if Konami, right this second, really cares about and prioritizes ML/BAL/etc, we likely wouldn't see the fruits of their labour for a while...

Precisely this.

When the 2-year servers switch off then they can concentrate on the offline game.

To find out whether konami actually really have a 3 year plan or care about offline play we will only have to wait a few more months to see if PES 2018's offline game delivers.

I'm hopeful.

But its just a fake 3 year plan then we'll call them out for sure.

Precisely this.

When the 2-year servers switch off then they can concentrate on the offline game.

To find out whether konami actually really have a 3 year plan or care about offline play we will only have to wait a few more months to see if PES 2018's offline game delivers.

I'm hopeful.

But its just a fake 3 year plan then we'll call them out for sure.

I'm confused. What do you mean by when the servers switch off? And what bearing would servers and older games have on the future development of PES?

And the only way to know if they 'care' is what happens with offline going forward. How it looks in the next game and the one after that and the one after that. Because if they are working on soothing we might not see it for a while. The next few months won't change a thing. That was kind of the point of my long winded post.

PES 2017 demonstrates Konami can make a great single player football game Pes2019 proves they just don't want to. The game is so bland, every player feels the same and every AI team attacks the same. It feels like since 17 they are simply dismatling team and player individuality to make it a level playing field online.
-Fouls and physicality dumbed down
-Player individuality all but gone
-Shooting pretty much the same
whoever you shoot with
Add PA3 to the mix and its purpose built for ESPORTS. Someone want to play as Stoke and the other Barcelona.. Doesn't really matter

If they carry on like this I can just see a free myclub version being the only release.

Last edited:
I'm confused. What do you mean by when the servers switch off? And what bearing would servers and older games have on the future development of PES?

And the only way to know if they 'care' is what happens with offline going forward. How it looks in the next game and the one after that and the one after that. Because if they are working on soothing we might not see it for a while. The next few months won't change a thing. That was kind of the point of my long winded post.

Server switch off : For each PES the servers switch off after 2 years (so online play won't be possible in PES 2019 after approx. Aug 2020; and PES 2018 servers will switch off later this year).

My interpretation of 3 year plan explained here

To me, its logical to be hopeful that year 3 is devoted to offline play as the online component is lost.

However its only speculation because year 3 could also just be :
Adam : "Hey Tony, I'm going to hype this game up. How long does it to take for people to forget my lies?"
Tony : "2-3 years, boss."

We'll only be able to tell in year 1 of PES 2020 whether konami care about offline by going back to see if PES 2018 (year 3) has improved significantly and continues to improve over that year.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Server switch off : For each PES the servers switch off after 2 years (so online play won't be possible in PES 2019 after approx. Aug 2020; and PES 2018 servers will switch off later this year).

My interpretation of 3 year plan explained here

To me, its logical to be hopeful that year 3 is devoted to offline play as the online component is lost.

However its only speculation because year 3 could also just be :
Adam : "Hey Tony, I'm going to hype this game up. How long does it to take for people to forget my lies?"
Tony : "2-3 years, boss."

We'll only be able to tell in year 1 of PES 2020 whether konami care about offline by going back to see if PES 2018 (year 3) has improved significantly.

Didn't make sense to me and neither did your interpretation tbf. No worries though. And your assumption is based on the idea that your interpretation is much closer to fact when in reality it is simply speculation and I tend to shy away from that.

Like I said before, the life cycle of one game, in this case a year, proves nothing. Games are more likely to make significant, fundamental changes from game to game (or over the course multiple years in regards to yearly releases).

And Bhatti's job is literally to hype the game. He's gonna do that regardless of what's going on behind the scenes lol.

I don't believe this PR Talk about a 3-years plan at all.

In my opinion, Konami is now all about online gaming / multiplayer only. PES 19 has the worst AI for years and Konami does not even bother to improve it. They don't need to because it is not that important for a reasonably good online gaming experience. Offline gaming is another story it depents on a good AI. But now they showed us that they don't care by not patching the game to a good level, like the did in the last couple of years. Not patching the game tells everything in my opinion.

They know exactly how bad the AI is this year. It is not possible not to know that. But they don't care because this bad AI only affects a small group of players. Just like the ML. The music plays somewhere else and the money is elsewhere.

Maybe there will be no singpleplayer anymore when the game appears on the PS5. Only online, only MyClub. That would not surprise me anymore.

I bought PES2017 today (again) and exchanged PES for Masseffect Andromeda. PES2019 was a great disappointment. I just did not sell it earlier because i was sure Konami would patch it to a decent level.

Yeah I never really quite understood why people want the radar, the name plates and all the other on-screen stuff.
If you aiming for realism, you don't get any of that while watching a football game on TV.

Yeah I never really quite understood why people want the radar, the name plates and all the other on-screen stuff.
If you aiming for realism, you don't get any of that while watching a football game on TV.
The radar covers the gap created by the limitations of screen. Since you usually watch the matches from a TV angle, but there is also the video-game aspect of simulation and you are not in the field like a real players or by a VR mask. So it substitutes this situation. Also the vertical camera is not so popular since pre-PSx days, some 360 human like POV must be emulated.
But if it was to only spectate comvscom matches, then yes, radar would be immersion-breaker.

While watching a football game on TV you don't need to think where the player pass the ball. When play a video game somehow you are the footballer and you need to know where your teamates or opponents are. OK in real life you see only where your eyes are point to and need to turn your head to see behide for example. In video game radar is your eyes and head. As I said, somehow.

Yeah @Chuny, sorry to disagree with you but every single game has limitations on realism. I mean, we're playing from a TV camera for a start, so immediately you're severely limiting how realistic the game's representation of playing football can be. We're not playing in VR.

On the "blimp" camera you don't need the radar, of course. But if you play on any other sideline camera, then... Not having a radar would be like playing from the player's POV and there being a terrible "draw distance", where you can only see players 60ft in-front of you, with everyone beyond that being invisible.

I'd play on "blimp" if it was like the "co-op" camera on the other game, where it's miles out (but not quite so high) and gently pans in and out depending on where the ball is. But "blimp" for me is too far away.

The radar is there to make up for you not having the player's vision (it's less of a "cheat" and more of a replacement for that).

Last edited:
I've written all major football networks and demand that they have radar and a blocked view on throw ins!

Back
Top Bottom