Sony PlayStation

Ohh interesting.... I hope they have a release date (guessing before Thanksgiving) and price. Remember when they left MS with their mouths open when they announced the price of the PS4? I hope some sort of surprise.
I hope they make a BANG with some announcements. Microsoft made their move, now its Sony's turn
I do remember but I liked the PS2 presentation even more.
the release is Holiday Season 2021 and the price will be 499-599. all good.
i dont care to much for a specific date. What i do care about is that my vacation starts November 19th. :D

I just want to know what ports are on the back, and what sound modes are supported via HDMI (i.e. if they're not supporting Dolby Atmos, which they've pretty much confirmed, because they've developed their own "incredible" sound system - what format is actually going to be sent out to the audio receiver)...

Never mind the price and the release date. How about they just tell us what hardware we'll need to be able to use it properly? It's unreal... I need to buy a new audio receiver and I can't buy anything because I don't know what it needs to support... (I know the Xbox supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, I know exactly what I need!)

I just want to know what ports are on the back, and what sound modes are supported via HDMI (i.e. if they're not supporting Dolby Atmos, which they've pretty much confirmed, because they've developed their own "incredible" sound system - what format is actually going to be sent out to the audio receiver)...

Never mind the price and the release date. How about they just tell us what hardware we'll need to be able to use it properly? It's unreal... I need to buy a new audio receiver and I can't buy anything because I don't know what it needs to support... (I know the Xbox supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, I know exactly what I need!)
So you don’t have a time span of 2-3 month to choose on a new audio receiver? What do I don’t get here?

must be just me whos not getting how people are focused on that so much. Only exact date (that comes to my mind right now) I’d be interested in is when my first born comes to the world. You get my view!? I’m surely not getting the others. :LOL:

The sound part is definitely something I want to know about.
Are Sony saying they have made something better than Dolby Atmos?
I have not heard the term 3D Audio since the 90's.

So you don’t have a time span of 2-3 month to choose on a new audio receiver? What do I don’t get here?
I just want to get it purchased. It's pretty poor how little info Sony are giving away with not long until release. I also want to make sure they're not going to be doing something stupid with the sound output. It's really concerning how they keep talking about how amazing the 3D sound is, but there's no mention of actual speaker sound, and they've pretty much ruled out Dolby Atmos, so what the hell happens if you want surround sound in your living room? I have a horrible gut feeling that either they're going to output stereo only or some brand new stream format that only new Sony receivers can cope with.

Which would be insane, but... Sony are giving me nightmares with their bizarre PS5 decisions so far. Underpowered variable hardware, a bizarrely shaped console design, and focusing all their marketing on buzzing controllers and 3D sound... I just don't trust them not to do something stupid.

My current audio receiver only has optical ports on it (it's 20 years old) so I know it has to go. Depending on Sony's audio solution, I'm worried I might not be able to afford the necessary receiver and the console, let alone a new TV or the Xbox to go with it...

The sound part is definitely something I want to know about.
Are Sony saying they have made something better than Dolby Atmos?
I have not heard the term 3D Audio since the 90's.
They are saying that. But how is it going to output to a receiver if the receiver can't decode the stream? They must be, surely, teaming up with DTS or similar to provide an output that most receivers will cope with. Even if they'll say something like "the best sound quality you can get is by buying some official Sony PS5 headphones".

I'm not interested in gaming with headphones on, unless the PS5 is as loud as the Pro. And if it is I won't be keeping it...

Last edited:
I just want to get it purchased. It's pretty poor how little info Sony are giving away with not long until release. I also want to make sure they're not going to be doing something stupid with the sound output. It's really concerning how they keep talking about how amazing the 3D sound is, but there's no mention of actual speaker sound, and they've pretty much ruled out Dolby Atmos, so what the hell happens if you want surround sound in your living room? I have a horrible gut feeling that either they're going to output stereo only or some brand new stream format that only new Sony receivers can cope with.

Which would be insane, but... Sony are giving me nightmares with their bizarre PS5 decisions so far. Underpowered variable hardware, a bizarrely shaped console design, and focusing all their marketing on buzzing controllers and 3D sound... I just don't trust them not to do something stupid.

My current audio receiver only has optical ports on it (it's 20 years old) so I know it has to go. Depending on Sony's audio solution, I'm worried I might not be able to afford the necessary receiver and the console, let alone a new TV or the Xbox to go with it...

They are saying that. But how is it going to output to a receiver if the receiver can't decode the stream? They must be, surely, teaming up with DTS or similar to provide an output that most receivers will cope with. Even if they'll say something like "the best sound quality you can get is by buying some official Sony PS5 headphones".

I'm not interested in gaming with headphones on, unless the PS5 is as loud as the Pro. And if it is I won't be keeping it...
The hdmi audio supported will be the standards of the Industrie. About atoms I’m not sure.
Their new 3D audio feature by tempest is dedicated to headphones first. Sound systems and information on how that all works out will follow later (no specific date).

I’m good with that strategy for now as headphones are more common and more “the same”. But thousand different Hi-Fi systems out there. Hope you get me.

Overall I agree, the PR nonsense this year (on both sides) is “outrageous”! Not that consumer friendly.
But I try to put that in perspective to what’s really important in my life.

TBH, I am not too bothered about improved lighting and ray tracing in Spider-Man.
The city scape on the PS4 Pro version was at times awful, the massively low res textures used on buildings more than 50 metres away, for me made the game such an eye sore.. Considering the close textures and character details were excellent.

I do remember but I liked the PS2 presentation even more.
the release is Holiday Season 2021 and the price will be 499-599. all good.
i dont care to much for a specific date. What i do care about is that my vacation starts November 19th. :D

I know I know... but being that we are already in Sept and Holiday 2020 is upon us, it would be nice to know those things... But yeah its not such a big deal as price, maybe you are right.

As for price I don't know... I think MS might have made Sony reconsider their price if they were coming out with a console at $599.
Remember when XONE said it was going to be an always-online only console at $499? Then Sony came out and said the $399 PS4 wasn't and MS had to go back and dial down the price (minus the kinect which was mostly an add on accessory) and change their online strategy?
Thats the good thing about competition, consumer wins. I hope Sony release their console at $499 tops.

Anyhow it should be good to see games showcase this week.

sony confirmed that the new 3D codec is limited to headphones......receivers will play normal surround....pretty crap really

sony confirmed that the new 3D codec is limited to headphones......receivers will play normal surround....pretty crap really
Ooh, where is this info? They've ruled out Dolby Atmos so is "normal surround" just Dolby Digital / DTS 5.1?

Rubbish they're not using Dolby Atmos though. Especially as I'll need a new receiver now that they (Sony and MS) are ditching optical ports.

Ooh, where is this info? They've ruled out Dolby Atmos so is "normal surround" just Dolby Digital / DTS 5.1?

Rubbish they're not using Dolby Atmos though. Especially as I'll need a new receiver now that they (Sony and MS) are ditching optical ports.

I suspect then the PS5 will just have Dolby Digital and DTS, when using the HDMI.
Another big win IMO for Microsoft, even more so for getting Dolby Vision HDR.
Maybe Sony just weren't prepared to pay the additional licencing costs.

EDIT:-
After looking into this some more...
The 3D audio is going to be released in TV's and Soundbars in the future, however this is not known if it will include soundbars from the likes of Samsung and other companies or just Sony TV's and products.

Last edited:
Hi Chris

ill try and find it but it might have been in the Cerney presentation.........I’m leaning towards Xbox as I have DolbyvAtmos 7.2 receiver......hardly next gen if Sony pumping out DTS!

Oh, but still get a Atmos receiver as it’s future proof for your 4k films, football etc.....and will still sound good on down mixed stuff.....I have a Sony and it’s beautiful With 4k films

Sony is designing PS5’s 3D audio around standard headphones for now, so you’ll be able to take advantage of the feature with hardware you already own. However, it intends to eventually optimise this for television speakers, sound bars, and surround sound systems. In short, it’ll work with whatever audio technology you already own, although the Pulse 3D Wireless Headset will be optimised for use with 3D audio.”

3D audio will be headphones only at initial release, so if you’re using your AVR you will get standard surround sound until they implement immersive surround for AVR a a later date. Seems like a lot of hassle to avoid paying the license for Dolby Atmos, which almost everything supports these days and also has a codec for headphones.

In Dollars, I would be guessing 499 for the disc version, and 399 for digital, but...
They will sell out at launch, so they could probably go higher.

Alright lads, prediction time.

The event, when it eventually is held will include:

-A Spider-Man 2 teaser (will be far off)
-God of War 2 teaser (again, far off)
-horizon 1 Dawn, launch window, early next year at the latest
-No Knack 3
- Some franchise from ages ago gets a sequel or spin-off

-The PS5 is shown
- No price announced.

I pretty much nailed this, although I admit these weren't the craziest predictions. So I am going to stick with my 499, 399 dollars prediction. 450 would be too close for a diskless, it wouldn't really be worth it to skip the drive for 50 dollars. This is assuming that both systems have the same tech specs, which I sincerely hope.
We are getting a price and release date (It is September, they obviously can't wait longer).
This last one is wishful thinking, but...
PS NOW included in PSN Plus on PS5. And it will be called something else. PS Plus Now. (That last bit is a joke. But I think it will get a new name.).

Last edited:
I pretty much nailed this, although I admit these weren't the craziest predictions. So I am going to stick with my 499, 399 dollars prediction. 450 would be too close for a diskless, it wouldn't really be worth it to skip the drive for 50 dollars. This is assuming that both systems have the same tech specs, which I sincerely hope.
We are getting a price and release date (It is September, they obviously can't wait longer).
This last one is wishful thinking, but...
PS NOW included in PSN Plus on PS5. And it will be called something else. PS Plus Now. (That last bit is a joke. But I think it will get a new name.).

I've been going back and forth with the price.... At first I thought $450 to undercut microsoft but then the diskless would have to go down to 350 which I don't think they'll do. So My guess is still 499 and 399 as well... which isn't a bad price at all. I think it was confirmed both systems (apart from the media drive) will be identical. Actually PSNow included in PSN plus is not a bad idea and Sony should def think about it as now microsoft is bundling streaming with ultimate gamepass.

Hoping to see some games that can make me say : OK that CANT be a PS4 but a PS5. Same with MS.... I want to see where the grunt of those tech specs are going to be put to work

Watching the presentation now.

Why are all Japanese games just Final Fantasy with a different colour scheme or a different amount of tentacles on the monsters?

Fucking dreadful. This is putting me off the PS5 entirely.

Seems to me they're clearly taking on Game Pass with the "get a ton of old PS4 games we can't sell any more, free with PS Plus". Do they really think that's comparable? Are they on drugs?

Yeah, I think that's made my decision for me! Dreadful!!!!!!!

Last edited:
0LUe4Mt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom