The PES4 Master League Thread - YEAH!

guillem_balague.jpg

Guillem Balague's Season 5 Preview...

The Contenders...

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Villareal

A select group of 3 will all be aiming for the crown this season, as regional upstarts Villareal aim to topple the big two. They are certainly capable of it too, with a side not bristling with stars but composed of some of the most effective players in the Division and a team ethic that is second to none. As much as it pains me to say it, Barca still look the team to beat however with pace, skill and a hunger that the boys from the Bernabeu don't seem able to match.

The Dark Horses...
Athletic Bilbao, Real Betis, Valencia, Sevilla

These 4 clubs are an intriguing bunch. Once proud high flying Valencia have been pegged back in recent years with an ageing squad, and no longer look to have the verve and sharpness of times gone by. The Basques and Andulusian's appear to be usurping the Galician's as the new provincial powerhouses and some silverware could potentially be flying their way come May.

The Also Rans...

Benfica, Porto, Real Sociedad, Athletico Madrid, Deportivo
There is a fairly fine line between the Dark Horses & Also Rans, but essentially the 4 teams above, all have a competitive squad and the ability on their day to put any team in the league to the sword, which none of these 5 possess. The two Portuguese giants will no doubt once again flatter to deceive and the Matress Makers will huff and puff, perhaps even sparkle at times but ultimately to no avail.

The Relegation Dogfight...

Maritimo, Mallorca, Malaga, Real Zaragoza

Try as I might, I can't see anything other than humilation and relegation for two of these four teams. Zaragoza, having for many years managed to cling on to mid table mediocrity look to be on the slide, much like last year's relegated Osasuna. Malaga are probably the weakest of the quartet and the two Islanders may find tehmselves locked in a battle to survive in an ironic twist on last year's Promotion race.

The Madeiran outfit whilst having spent sagely during the summer appear to be pining their hopes on a new formation and the ageing skills of Alfonso and Pacheco with the still raw potential of Moulongui and Ruben Castro.

Will it be enough ? well with Zaragoza the visitors to the Atlantic Pearl this coming Saturday we don't have long to wait as Season 5 of the Iberian League kicks off in earnest.

nerf said:
Thanks Prof. The Bundesliga definitely sounds good to me, but I've just found a list of all the PES5 clubs and they're not licensed. The Dutch league is, however, as well as Italy and Spain.

I'm quite tempted to start an ML in a licensed league at first, just to tide me over until the inevitable patches and updates come out, then start a proper Bundesliga game when it's all patched. Something to ponder in the meantime.
I think that's what you should do mate.

Bundesliga certainly does sound tempting and having not played a German ML before I think you should but you're probably right into making up your mind to playing a ML with licensed league first until we get patches and real kits and etc. for other teams.

So once you make your mind up about which of La Liga or Serie A it is you want to do, we can all pitch in with some recommendations for team to pick ;).

take care

PLF said:
So once you make your mind up about which of La Liga or Serie A it is you want to do, we can all pitch in with some recommendations for team to pick ;)
Suggestions are more than welcome :)

Does anyone know if the league structure is still the same? With the same number of teams? Like in PES4, you couldn't fill division one and two with the same nation, you had to draft in teams from elsewhere to fill the gaps.

i think so, yes. However, i read that you were able to select a country's league easily. ie, select a French club and play amongst all French teams. I'm wondering how that'll work though, with only 16 teams in div 1. What'll happen in div 2 with the spare places? or perhaps you 'll be able to determine that yourself.

nerf said:
Suggestions are more than welcome :)

Does anyone know if the league structure is still the same? With the same number of teams? Like in PES4, you couldn't fill division one and two with the same nation, you had to draft in teams from elsewhere to fill the gaps.
Yeah unfortunately the ML structure is still the same crappy four 16-team division ones and an 8-team Div 2 that is connected to your league (for promotion and relegation).

As Prof said though, the good thing is it saves you a bit of time now as Konami realized most people want to play realistic ML and have teams from same country in their 16 team division so now if you pick let's say Aston Villa ;), and have unlocked the ML Division editing thing, you automatically are put in a division with 15 other English clubs.

This way you have much less work to do.

And I'll go ahead with suggestions when you make your mind up about which league you want to play (La Liga or Serie A) and what type of club you exactly want ;).

Hmm, it's a close one but I think I'm leaning towards a return to Italy. It's always a tough league and from what I saw of WE9 and have read of PES5, the game seems to heading in a slightly more 'Italian' direction that it has before, if that makes sense.

Having a scan through the teams list just now, I'm quite tempted by the idea of trying to return a club like Lazio or Parma to the levels that they have since slipped down from. Both have sold a lot of good players in recent years and probably have their weakest squads for a while, but both have potential to get better again. They both have their stadiums in the game, too.

I wouldn't discount Genoa or Torino at this stage either. Any other ideas?

Season 2007

Really good season for me, I’ve won the Div2 League, just on goal difference ahead of Malaga CF. This season was much better in terms of goals scored, 29 in 14 matches. Wallner finished top scorer with 12 goals, while Xisco finished second top scorer with 10 goals. Zapata was the overall best player in the league.

In the Div2 Cup I managed to get knocked out in the semi-finals, 4-2 to Levante UD, which crushed my hopes of doing a double.

Managed to get a few quality signings in the transfer window. Juanfran (SB/SMF) was brought in, from Besiktas, as a back-up for Harte, since Eddington retired I needed another left-back. Managed to get E. Gonzalez (OMF/CF/SMF/CMF) on a free from Panathiniakos. Bought Vahirua (CF) from Nice to strengthen my front line, his got a good response and is good at beating the off-side trap. Also I bought Molinero (SB) from C. At. Madrid as a back-up for Sergio Ramos.

Players that were sold are Cellini to At. Ousona and Valeny to Arsenal. Eddington, Volander and Minada all retired.

Wit h one match to go in La Ligue...Lyon are still first with 1 point more than LILLE. Lille have to play in Bordeaux (currently third) and Lyon have to play in Marseille. Could turn out to be a thriller...Lille have by far the best goal difference...(Moussilou alone scored 31 goals)...
Just wait and see...Lille can still hope.

Simao drops bombshell hours before opener

With Maritimo's first ever game in the Iberian First Division
only a mere 3 hours away, The Portuguese club have been
rocked with the news that their talismanic manager Mr Simao
has signed a pre-contract agreement with provincial Ligue 1
side Metz.

metz.jpg

The French club's President Carlo Molinari and Press Officer
Jean-Marie Schiffmacher went public at 4.30pm CET to stun the world
of football at a hastily arranged press conference, on a deal that had apparently been conceived during the summer break.

The Lorraine based outfit have announced that the Englishman
has agreed terms on a 3 year deal, that will begin once his final year's
contract at Maritimo has expired, when he will take over the reins from
the current incumbent Joel Muller.

How this shocking turn of events will effect the Madeirense faithful
and the squad, will undoubtedly become clearer as kick off approaches.

Although with no official confirmation or denial from President Pereira
it will be left to the Portuguese sports media to do their best to speculate
on the possible ramifications for Simao, his team and the relegation battle that will unfold in the coming months.

nerf said:
Hmm, it's a close one but I think I'm leaning towards a return to Italy. It's always a tough league and from what I saw of WE9 and have read of PES5, the game seems to heading in a slightly more 'Italian' direction that it has before, if that makes sense.

Having a scan through the teams list just now, I'm quite tempted by the idea of trying to return a club like Lazio or Parma to the levels that they have since slipped down from. Both have sold a lot of good players in recent years and probably have their weakest squads for a while, but both have potential to get better again. They both have their stadiums in the game, too.

I wouldn't discount Genoa or Torino at this stage either. Any other ideas?
Go for it then.

I guess it's a big factor that they have own stadiums those 2 clubs you mentioned as that is often important to many people here.

Fiorentina is also a giant club who hasn't been doing great recently but certainly have the ambition to become big and challenge the best but if you want more of a challenge then I'd say yes Parma and Lazio will be bigger ones since Fiorentina's squad is quite good and behind big 3, them and Roma and Udinese have probably best squads while Lazio and Parma are quite a bit more behind in terms of quality on bench and first team.

As for Torino and Genoa well, they're not in Serie A so are you think about creating them and starting from Div 2 again?

Finally I have some news about a ML I started ;) with Lyon. I know I said I cant play with wrong Konami data but I realize PLF data probably won't be ready till PES5 so for now I just play with what we have. So I tried but it was too hard seeing Zairi as CF and bad at dribbling and about 20 mistakes in terms of stats alone in each team so I took the time and edited Ligue 1 each team and player in my own option file and now can enjoy a ML with Lyon for the short-term :).

Well PLF, in my ML Lyon won Ligue 1.
Lille winning 1-3 in Bordeaux was not good enough, since Lyon won 0-4 in Marseille.
And i have to say that in a way this is satisfying. In a similar case with Wolfsburh my team won the last match and the opponents (Bayern) lost their last match (as i expected). I expected the same thing now and Lyon won...this makes it more credible.
Lille was second one point behind Lyon.
Mousillou was top scorer with 32 goals.
Kapo (AS Monaco) was the best player.
Pedretti gave the most assists.

All in all a very satisfyin season in an exciting ML...i'm going for a revenge next season an will buy some good players...(have plenty of cash).

PLF said:
As for Torino and Genoa well, they're not in Serie A so are you think about creating them and starting from Div 2 again?
Oh, it's just that they were both included in the list of teams supposedly in PES5. I think I'll go with Lazio or Parma anyway. Fiorentina's squad is definitely a bit too strong I think.

@Nerf, alright mate I personally prefer Parma cuz I kinda have a dislike for Lazio but it's up to you ;)

@Stan, how realistic did your ML turn out haha. If you remember last season Lyon finished champions again with Lille a surprising 2nd and entry into CL. Of course the difference wasn't 1 point at end of the season but at least the placement of first 2 clubs were.

Anywyas I've already started playing my ML and recorded highlights at end of match of most of my games and if anyone's interested I'd be uploading them and writing some reports though to be honest this is my least fav part of the process so I'm not sure if it'll be a consistent thing like DB's and most importantly even worth readin ;).

Nonetheless I am a very ambitious person and so is club chairman Mr. Aulas and that's why my aim is to make Lyon a traditional European superpower that 10 years from now everyone sees at least close in terms of popularity as teams like Barcelona, Man Utd, Real Madrid, Juve and AC Milan.

It is my intention to make any football fan from every corner of world know the name "Olympique Lyonnais" and currently despite 4 titles in a row, it's not exactly like that and we're still looked one level below traditional European powerhouses but all that is about to change now! :)

Last edited:
I'd definitely be interested in seeing the recorded highlights, PLF. The reports would be good too, but even if you don't feel like writing anything then you could still just upload the video on its own. Always fun to watch ;)

Early morning post Db.

Well, i'm halfway through my second season in my "Difficult/Top 23 Clubs" ML. My off season was rather disappointing, as i registered a 1-1 draw against Borussia Dortmund and a heavy 4-0 defeat to VfB Stuttgart. This inevitably left me with no choice but to give my squad the "hair dryer" treatment. I gave them a huge bollocking, essentially, telling them that those displays were the reason we only won one game last season. I then subjected them to a double training session.

The following week, the new Div 2 season began. The previous week's actions appeared to pay dividends, as we registered a 1-0 win over Sparta Prague on the opening day, already matching our one solitary win of last season. Later we managed our sweetest win to date, with a 2-0 victory over then top of the table, AS Monaco.

So at the halfway stage i've manage 2 wins, 2 draws and 3 losses. I'm currently placed 5th and it's still possible to get up into the promotion places. I've managed to secure the signing of young Swedish striker, Jaromton, who as a left footer, looks set to replace Huygens upfront, alongside Castello. I'm hoping the young Swede will give us more firepower, accuracy and pace. If he can hit the ground running, he may be able to fire us into the top 2 places.

Prof how do you actually see that for example Jaromton is not a real player???

Things look good for Lille, in the inter-season we had a new sponsor: Belgian beer giant Interbrew (Stella, Jupiler).

He's originally in PESU or WEU :D

I forgot to say, i have a young Italian chap called Ricci, who's really making waves. He's a short bald CBT/DMF. I play him as a DMF however, because he has superb passing vision. He's perhaps a Pirlo type player in the making. So much so that his No. 13 "Ricci" shirt is beginning to sell like hot cakes at the club shop. Certainly our brighest prospect and a definite future captain in a season or two.

Last edited:
Stringer Bell said:
So that'll be you starting a ML with Metz then.

Hi mate

yep, that's right. I think it should offer me a significant challenge in PES 5 judging by the information coming out about a return to a more simulation style of game.

Needless to say the news hasn't exactly gone down too well in Madeira, although whether like Gordon Strachan, the announcement will effect the team's performances in my final season remains to be seen.

db

Okay, Div1 is a tight league...you could lose 2 games and your in the bottom of the league...then win 2 and your fliping 3rd in the league...and so on.

I wish Div1 was like this:

1-4: Title challengers and CL finishing teams
5-6: UEFA Cup finishing teams
7-8: Mid table dwellers
9-12: Under achievers or promoted teams doing well
13-16: Relagation battlers

Mouloungui the hero as Maritimo get off to flying start

savio.jpg
Savio - should of done better

Iberian League Division 1 - Week 1
Maritimo 2 - Real Zaragoza 1

After all the pre match hoohah, Maritimo's start to life in Division 1 almost degenerated into farce in the opening minutes, when Savio broke through the midfield held off Teixeira and advanced on goal, only to be denied as the Big German keeper Semghoun came out to smother the ball.

Once they'd survived this scare however, the home side began to settle into their rhythm and new 3-5-2 system, with Daniel Alves the new club captain marshalling the defence and playing the sweeper's role.

With Brighi, Beye and Castro all making their debuts, the passing and movement into space was causing the Aragonese all kinds of problems, and just after the half hour a hand ball from Milito lead to a penalty.

Eric Mouloungui strode up to calmly knock it in and send the Madeirans into the break 1-0 in front.

Within 10 minutes of the restart, the Gabonese goal getter leapt unchallenged to power home a header from N'Doye's inviting cross to send the capacity crowd into wild delight.

With 15 minutes remaining, the shell shocked Real pulled one back after Galleti was on hand to knock in after Villa's rasping drive had struck the underside of the bar.

-
Other week 1 results...

Malaga 1 Benfica 2 / Villareal 3 Sevilla 0 / Barca 2 Ath Madrid 1 / Deportivo 1 Sociedad 2 / Mallorca 1 Real Madrid 6 (Owen & Ronaldo grabbing a brace each) / Valencia 3 Porto 2 (Di Vaio on target twice) / Real Betis 3 Ath Bilbao 1 (Olivera scoring two goals to beat the Basques)

molinaribmw.jpg
"He iz zee perfect man for ze job"

Simao explains his decision to join Metz

"The timing wasnt something I was comfortable with" he told a sceptical press pack, as the Englishman gave a post match press conference to explain his reasoning to reject a contract extension and try his luck in France.

"Obviously I had spoken to both President Pereira and Monsieur Molinari but I certainly didn't envisage them coming out an announcing it in that fashion. Afterall preparing for our first game in the top flight was all that I was focused on and believe it or not, and I was as shocked as you all were. They are a team in a unique position in many ways and I have to admit that the temptation of the challenge was too great to turn down. However, let there be no doubts that my heart and soul are with this club for this whole season ".

"I told the players it was true, and that they needed to go out there and concentrate on their own game. Luckily not only did the do that, but they found a rhythm and a tempo that suggests despite what the doomsayers may predict, that we can hold our own this year."

Nutmeg Hails Jaromton

In a post match interview, manager Professor Nutmeg hailed his newest recruit, Swedish striker Jaromton, after a dazzling performance against Ajax. The mohawked Swede struck a brace against the Dutch giants, helping his side to a 3-1 win. Jaromton, who was signed in the mid-season transfer window from Fenerbahce, now has 2 goals in 2 games and looks set to make a big impression in Division 2. The confident youngster remarked: "i've come here to chew gum and score goals, and i'm all outta gum."

1087281559.07592_4.jpg

Jaromton: Deadlier than a deadly thing?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom