The referee thread: discuss referees and their decisions

na man, janmaat is definitely not a red, he was just a bit late and balotelli made it look worse than it was by rolling on the ground for about half an hour..

When you point out something for being wrong, you should at least show the whole thing, not some appropriately cut-out version of it.

Here's how everything happened, and no Janmaat doesn't deserve red card for it.

I think Jaanmat did it maliciously ... He was on the receiving end a moment earlier. That's almost the same way Ramsey's leg snapped a few years ago.

I think Jaanmat did it maliciously ...

Well, we can NEVER know if he did it on purpose.
All I can say is, imagine if another hot headed player did it, for example Pepe in la Liga, he would have definitely been sent off.

Well, we can NEVER know if he did it on purpose.
All I can say is, imagine if another hot headed player did it, for example Pepe in la Liga, he would have definitely been sent off.

I'm not sure (that)we have that sort in the league off the top of my head.

More interesting following of the rules tonight in the Barca match. Ajax player goes down in Barca's box - about 3 feet from touchline official - with a head injury.

Despite what I thought were the rules, ref plays on, Barca counter.

Ajax player now getting evaluated presumably for concussion.

lol ye and ref only booked aguero for 1 of his dives but not the other:FAIL:
plus touré should of a got a second yellow before he got straight red, nasri could of gone too..

Pontus Wernbloom had his 1st yellow at minute 28' for CSKA , he fouled Aguero at minute 77 but ref wrong and gave yellow to Sergei Ignashevich....

Yeah, that was pretty poor, given how many officials are there now, mistaken identity really shouldn't happen anymore.

That said, as Dazzla said, no idea why he didn't send Toure off about 30 seconds before that. Clearest yellow of the match, not given presumably because he'd already sent someone off.

Hazard and his penalties ... I get the rush and looking to get foul is part of the game, but he makes runs to bounce off players. I'm happy Aquero got a diving Yellow it was pathetic .

Good example of why players feign injury in the United v Arsenal match. Wilshere, about 5 feet in front of Mike Dean clearly headbutts Fellaini (which in of itself is hilarious), Fellaini doesn't hold his face and go to ground, ref doesn't even give a yellow.

Fellaini needs to watch some Italians. You gotta dive, scream, roll around and kick your feet a bit. Because he's just been punished by the ref for being hard.

Also, is there a better human version of a yappity little tiny dog than Jack Wilshere? Would love to see him actually take on Fellaini.

B3EIX0QCYAA7Tx3.jpg:large

Last edited:
Yeah I agree..I am less angry about the foul in and of itself and moreso about the fact it underlines that you seem to have to act like you got hit by an IED to get the ref to penalize the one committing the foul.

Fellaini should've gotten red too for grabbing Wilshere by the neck in the first place. Wilshere was angry at the referee with his back to Fellaini grabbed him by the neck.

When is the ref governing body going to change the triple punishment rule on 'preventing clear goal scoring opportunity'? It's such a farce at the moment, and really ruining numerous amazing matches.

As a defender, with the rule the way it is, you're best to just allow a striker to go past you and score. Because if you try and tackle, and you touch most strikers, they're going to ground. Then it's up to the ref, and if they give it against you,t hat's a penalty, a red card and a suspension.

It's a stupid rule that was designd to preven the very rare 'Solskjaer v Newcastle' case, but instead just makes defending one on one a roulette roll.

Saw someone suggest the following the other day

-Denying a goalscoring chance and outside of the box = Penalty
-Denying a goalscoring chance and inside the box = 2 Penalty attempts (ie. if you miss the pen you get another go)

It's certainly different.

I think straight reds should only be given for Suarez-esque handballs

I quite like that, giving a penalty for outside the box would solve that issue.

For me a penalty is a goal-scoring opportunity, so that should cover the punishment. It's hard to imagine that many 'easier' attempts in open play than a penalty kick.

If it is truly deliberate circumvention of an actual goal (only example I can think of is handball off the line) then use that as an exception.

But this whole red card thing is a crock imo, footballers make mistakes all the time, why should a striker shoving off a defender just risk a foul, but a defender doing the same risk ending the match, essentially?

The Aquero penalty not given is by far the most injustice I've seen and to get carded for it as well. I felt disgusting as a fan regardless the club it happen to. ManCity won nevertheless ,it was done by no favours and against a ref who had a horrid day.

Spurs at the end was favoured maybe...handball that could of landed to an open Everton player. Im not sure about the decision for a handball regardless of the intentions of the player. Replay look so much worse ...

These penalties are regularly given.
That ref certainly wasn't against us.

Also agree about the Aguero card, injustice it certainly was.

The crazy bit is that a decision like that can't be over turned. Imagine if he misses an important match due to yellow card accumulation'

Dunno what Mangala was doing (could say that about his entire 1st half tbh)

Fernando's was just a booking imo. Don't think he knew Barry was there

So which is worse:

The Nani red card - an innocent footballing move that results in potentially painful contact (no intent)

The Markovic red card - A potentially violent (stupid?) lash out that didn't actually touch the guy, who of course play-acted as only professional footballers can

Both are ridiculous reds imo.

Back
Top Bottom