The referee thread: discuss referees and their decisions

Markovic red is completely justified, the motion of a lash warrants a red card, and eventhough Safari made a meal out of it it's still a red card according to the rules.

it was a red I think too , he looked at Basel player and hit him but a yellow would done the job too, anyway I think Fellaini should get 3 red cards every game for doing that (actually HITTING) other players.

I've watched 2 games today and witnessed 2 terrible decisions.

1st, the Palace offside goal. TBF I didn't spot it in realtime because, naturally, your focus is on the penalty area but the lino must see Fernandinho in the corner of his eye.

The 2nd was Agbonlahor's red card. An even worse decision. At most it was a yellow for both players, and even that would be harsh on Agbonlahor.

Luckily for the 2 officials involved, neither decision really changed the flow of either game but that's little excuse.

Didn't see the first but actually agree with the 2nd.wasnt a straight red but def a yellow for reckless play. Should've been his second for some other shit he did that didn't get penalized. Still.. As I said on red Cafe when it happened :was more concerned about the knock on Young than happy about the red. Young turned to shit after the sending off, and the rest of the team started playing like City did when United went down to ten at the Etihad.

That foul from Bardsley on Hazard and them only a yellow card....

Oh and i agree with dazzla, it wasn't even a foul by Agbonlahor.

proxy.jpg

2015-02-11_985.jpg

2595A99200000578-0-image-a-25_1423693458328.jpg

Ref didn't see it :LOL:

Referees should protectie players.?
Absolutely dreadfull performance by the ref in the match Chelsea-Burnley..
Of course Matic deserved to be sent off. But Barnes committed an attrociuous foul on HIM and that was his third. Not even a yellow. He should have got 3 red cards.

Atkinson's performance was sub-par, I wasn't surprised.

Arsenal got a penalty for a foul outside the box, we got denied two and one of which was a clear handball.
Barnes makes two red card worthy challenges and gets away with nothing.

Talk about inconsistency... it's getting boring, really.

it was a foul started inches but the foul ended inside the box :))

that Joey Barton is a tool, whats his logic to bite so easily.

No a yellow would have been more than enough. But that is Spain were referees help Barcelona and (even more) Madrid.

I disagree. It's so idiotic he deserved to be sent off just for having the audacity. I like the no bullshit attitude of the ref in that case. Asking for it? Here, you can have it! Gone. :)

Here's a fun one for the ref buffs: in an U19 international qualifier between Norway and England, a penalty is given in the 96th minute. It is scored, but the ref spotted encroachment by the taking team. However, for whatever reason the ref forgets that should be a re-take, and ends the match.

The two teams are now going to play out another penalty - the first time I believe that's ever happened.

https://youtu.be/GQGSOvGXGss

For me this raises two fundamental points:

1. The referee is pretty awful here. Not for making a mistake, but for ignoring the players and presumably her assistants. You can tell that all of the players know the rules, they're all in position for another penalty to be taken. But the ref is too stubborn/ignorant to look at that.

2. Footballers are horrible. Like really nasty, cheaty-by-instinct. The second the Norwegian keeper and captain realise the refs mistake, they don't try to correct her. They're all for this goal kick situation. Even in an U19 international woman's match.

Lets hope she won't be there in this summer's WC or at least have Keyes n Gray host the games.

Edit: match to be replayed a 1st for anything .

Last edited:
I scored a pen in a cup final but the ref made me retake it because the opposition encroached. I missed the retake. I wish this ref was refereeing that game :P

2 more inexplicable decisions from the prem's finest today:

Everton third: Ball is played to Lukaku, who is well offside, defenders follow him, he then stops after pulling defenders out of position to leave Mirallas open. If running towards a pass played to you and taking defenders with you isn't 'interfering with play' - what is it? What are defenders supposed to do there?

Chelsea 'no penalty': Ospina absolutely destroys Oscar, when the forward had just dinked it over him. Not touch on the ball, not even close. Not even given as a foul. Inexplicable.

It's not even that referees are missing things, it's like they don't understand the rules at all.

Chelsea should have got 2 penalties in the first half and Arsenal one.
There was the Cahill handball and there was Cazorla fouling Fabregas with his knee. What did that coward do ? He gave a yellow for simulation to Fabregas...

Chelsea should have got 2 penalties in the first half and Arsenal one.
There was the Cahill handball and there was Cazorla fouling Fabregas with his knee. What did that coward do ? He gave a yellow for simulation to Fabregas...
For me only 1 penalty the ospina oscar one
The other two were way too soft not enough for a penalty
in any other game those two still not a penalty

Fabragas did go down in the wrong way and made it look like simulation
its tuff to tell from the angles cant say for sure if there was contact or not but when you go down do not over act

I dont understand the whole hand ball rule it seems to swap every other week cahill for me had his hand in a non natural position shot was on target, I've seen these given in other games yes it was very close but his hand was up in the air making himself much bigger

Fabregas forced / pushed Koscielny into Ospina
Also committed two other fouls mmm... how was he not sent off?

Amazing how Ivanovic gets away with so much he could've easily been sent off

But yet late on ref was giving yellow cards galore to arsenal
who comitted hardly any fouls so why theres this and then Ivanovic gets away with so much

I dont understand when one game how one can be sent of for 2 fouls but in another gets away with near half a dozen or even more

and that Willian high boot was a joke only yellow I could not believe it was not a straight red, it has to be one of the most dangerous and stupid high boot i have ever seen i've seen much less getting red

Last edited:
Michael Oliver's approach to that game was simple: don't give anything that will make headlines.

The number of weak decisions is incredible. He's afraid. No yellow for Ivanovic early on because it's too early. No penalty on Ospina because, erm, dunno. No penalty for handball on Cahill because it's borderline. Ditto Cech.

Easy yellows and easy calls? Sure no problem. No red for Willian despite actually kicking a fellow pro in the face, at head height, in a congested area. No problem.

Basically, he's utterly terrified of being the story. So he does his job inconsistently, and badly.

Now why would he be so scared? Oh, that's right. Because the media are f*cking cluess. I had Lee Dixon say the following on the match:

On Cesc: He's made slight contact there, so it's a penalty. No Lee. That's not the rule.
On Cahill: It's unintenional, so no handball. No Lee. That's not the rule.
On Willian: It's a clear yellow card, no malice. No Lee, kicking someone in the head is pretty malicious.

I can't blame people not knowing the rules when these are the people paid to explain the sport to us. It's the opposite of North American sports, where pundits are walking encyclopedias of facts and rules. It's shameful, but represented of football which is simply the most backwards of all sports.

Yeah rule book changes every week

In my opinion the ref felt gulity for not giving a penalty to chelsea
so therefor most of the decisions went against arsenal in 2nd half
chelsea should've been down to 8 men (fab ivan will)

plus more on the handball how can anyone tell if its unintenional or not
no ones mind readers Cahill couldve easily meant to spread his hand / arm out
for me the hand ball rule should be if it stops attacking play / shots the ball going through on goal or to another player it should then be handball regardless
how close or not you are to the ball (unless if you dont have your hands / arms out) and any other intentional handballs
should be simple but no...

I was shock to hear Lee say such..I believe Ospina was a stonewall penalty. If the ball was on the floor and Oscar did that it would be a pen all day. I`m not complaining ,but a draw does us no good.

Oliver doesn't like giving pens, as we found out against Utd at home.

There was 1 pen each imo. Cahill handball and Ospina smashing into Oscar. They're both not cast iron tho in the sense that they're always given.

On the others, Fabregas and Oscar both threw themselves down rather than being knocked down

For me only 1 penalty the ospina oscar one
The other two were way too soft not enough for a penalty
in any other game those two still not a penalty

Fabragas did go down in the wrong way and made it look like simulation
its tuff to tell from the angles cant say for sure if there was contact or not but when you go down do not over act

I dont understand the whole hand ball rule it seems to swap every other week cahill for me had his hand in a non natural position shot was on target, I've seen these given in other games yes it was very close but his hand was up in the air making himself much bigger

Fabregas forced / pushed Koscielny into Ospina
Also committed two other fouls mmm... how was he not sent off?

Amazing how Ivanovic gets away with so much he could've easily been sent off

But yet late on ref was giving yellow cards galore to arsenal
who comitted hardly any fouls so why theres this and then Ivanovic gets away with so much

I dont understand when one game how one can be sent of for 2 fouls but in another gets away with near half a dozen or even more

and that Willian high boot was a joke only yellow I could not believe it was not a straight red, it has to be one of the most dangerous and stupid high boot i have ever seen i've seen much less getting red

Arsenal players were getting yellows galore because they were constantly putting a stop to counter attacks.

Beach, i don't understand why Willian should have got a red card. Did you look at the slow motion? Look at other and you will see that Willian has his eyes on the ball all the time, he wasn't aware of the Arsenal player and one might even argument that the Arsenal player had his heard slightly to low too...

It was dangerous however and that justifies a yellow card. In this case the ref made the correct decision.

Back
Top Bottom