The referee thread: discuss referees and their decisions

OgtRrIKl.jpg

Clarity -_-

Alex, this might well be one of the most infamous matches in Belgian football history (mind you, i'm far from sure, 1960 might be a couple of years too soon).
I'm writing about Anderlecht-Real Madrid in EC1 (the old champions league), where the French ref (i think his name was Barberan) was so biased in favourite of Madrid that it became almost funny.
But once again , I'm not sure. The jerseys might be those of both teams, but of course this is in black and white...this is how i watched football in the '70's when i was a litle kid.

kari-arnason-malmo-celtic-football-champions-league_3342254.jpg

Yep, clear that the Celtic player handled the ball, lol.

Even though I was angry I did actually burst out laughing when it was confirmed it was chalked off for handball.

What's worse is that it was apparently given by the goal-line official. The one who seems to literally do nothing for 92 minutes of each match.

Once again, video replays would solve it. Why does it matter?

Celtic now don't get CL money. That mistaken call could be a 20m decision, and it's just patently the wrong call. And given the situation, it certainly can't even itself out over the course of the season.

Refereeing is hard. Referees need help. But the powers that be appear to prefer mistaken calls and pressure on refs over giving them the tools they need to do their job better.

Yep, was a shocker, as you said those guys behind the line are an absolute waste of space.

I remember a couple of years ago watching Celtic v Juve and it was laughable with the pulling in the box and thought these guys never make a decision and then last night, lol, they finally do.

We played poorly, but we all know how a game changes a match and that mistake may well have cost us a lot of money and probably 1 or 2 of our better players.

Alex, this might well be one of the most infamous matches in Belgian football history (mind you, i'm far from sure, 1960 might be a couple of years too soon).
I'm writing about Anderlecht-Real Madrid in EC1 (the old champions league), where the French ref (i think his name was Barberan) was so biased in favourite of Madrid that it became almost funny.
But once again , I'm not sure. The jerseys might be those of both teams, but of course this is in black and white...this is how i watched football in the '70's when i was a litle kid.

Well, when I was young there were some color TVs around, so this makes for a generation gap between us hahaha.

I think the clip was from the match you mentioned, which shows the level of corruption in the European Cup in the first editions, as many people has pointed out historically. I think it's the worse penalty call I've ever seen.

Are refs in Europe just subconciously against English clubs? I still can't believe I had to watch our defender have his leg broken in two places and not even warrant a foul, but tonight's match has seen 4 or so borderline challenges by Wolfsburg, no cards, and then a perfect challenge by Schneiderlein that gets the first yellow.

the difference? The Wolfsburg player screamed so loud I could hear it on the TV. Whereas Martial and Mata have both gotten on with it.

You get punished in the sport for being honest. And the refs gobble it up.

I am not sure about the first two points, doubt the refs are against English clubs in special and I didn't see the first half, but I completely agree with you on the last and most important bit. I think for example, dives are still not punished as hard as they should.

Demichelis had the ball over the line by 2 yards. 3 officials between them couldn't spot it.

Good job Otamendi put in the rebound.

Can't believe they haven't implemented goal line tech

UEFA announced Demichelis as goal scorer and I read that the linesman also signalled that the ball was in before Otamendi put it in a second time.

America helped bring FIFA down. Now, they want to implement video replay
http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-...major-league-soccer-plans-video-referee-trial

This weekend a MLB semi final - a player slide tackle to second base and breaks the player's leg. The ref said the player was out! The Coach ask for a ref to review (play) the player w/ a broken leg didn't touch the player or the base during the late slide that did the breaking. They reviewed the vid in 2seconds the player that was called out. He came back to 2nd base and they ended winning the game. They were losing and the replayed turn the game upside down.

video replays can do one. football games need to be about 90 minutes not 7 hours. and the refs can go watch the replay and still mess it up so its pointless.

The Bojan penalty against Swansea is the future of attacking play imo. Got into a great position in the box, defender scrambling - then he just stopped moving towards the ball, waited for the defenders momentum to make contact, down he goes. Impressively, he had begun his appeal and turned 180 degrees to face the ref before even getting to the ground.

Lauded by pundits as 'clever play', I think it's impossible to defend against.

How can a defender be expected to both accelerate with a nimble attacker and also anticipate the attacker stopping away from the ball? It's madness*.

* Yes I was a defender :)

I despise that word in futbol 'clever player'. Its like walking up to a store taking a shirt off the rack and go straight to customer service for a refund , exchange or store credit. Its absurd, they should replay that clip all week... Costa seeing that penalty, just creamed himself then, depants off! utterly ridiculous!!!!

3pts points by that penalty is upsetting to say the least.

One more from the match, I didn't know this:
League rule 39.4.1 says: “The screen shall not be used to show action replays of negative or controversial incidents” and rule 39.4.2 prevents “any incident which brings into question the judgment of a match official”.

How crazy is that? So you can't show replays of things the ref got wrong. Hahahaha.

The Bojan penalty against Swansea is the future of attacking play imo. Got into a great position in the box, defender scrambling - then he just stopped moving towards the ball, waited for the defenders momentum to make contact, down he goes. Impressively, he had begun his appeal and turned 180 degrees to face the ref before even getting to the ground.

Lauded by pundits as 'clever play', I think it's impossible to defend against.

How can a defender be expected to both accelerate with a nimble attacker and also anticipate the attacker stopping away from the ball? It's madness*.

* Yes I was a defender :)

I ended playing as a central defender when I had 32 so I never had that problem, by that age I just couldn't accelerate to a speed I couldn't control. :CRY:

By the way, nothing new under the sun...
http://www.marca.com/en/2015/10/22/en/football/barcelona/1445469166.html

Last edited:
last weekend's derby in Croatia between Rijeka and Dinamo plainly showed how much power referees have over Dinamo's coach Zoran Mamić. That is, none. He was standing well outside his designated area at the half-way line, sometimes even in front of Rijeka's bench. 4th referee warned him, but he didn't listen and referee didn't even look at them until Rijeka coach did the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyPjZQoQ8hk

Not his first time either:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H34afXvDw8Y

Also remember he was the referee for Chelsea - Arsenal this season. Arsenal's winning percentage with him as the referee is drastically lower from other referees as well. Of course it's all speculation, but it's still odd.

I've seen that one, it is also included in the video that I have posted...but still, I don't get it how he gets selected to officiate Tottenham's games when he is so obvious

Back
Top Bottom