The Retro-PES Corner

Anyone got a WE9LE ML going?
Just put on this gem last night, so much fun.
Because its simple in nature (16 way movement etc) it makes players individuality seem more pronounced. Each player seems to have a standout trait.
Like Roy Keane is aggressive af, Ronaldo is fast but weak (back in 04); Pirlo can pick a pass out of nowhere etc.
Great game...

Anyone got a WE9LE ML going?
Just put on this gem last night, so much fun.
Because its simple in nature (16 way movement etc) it makes players individuality seem more pronounced. Each player seems to have a standout trait.
Like Roy Keane is aggressive af, Ronaldo is fast but weak (back in 04); Pirlo can pick a pass out of nowhere etc.
Great game...
Regarding movement, 8/16 directions VS 360, how convinced are you tgat the modern PES have true 360 movement. Fir me it is a pseudo-360, which means , yes when you are in training mode alone without anyone marking you, you can move 360 only with left stick without sprinting.
But when you are in a ML game, in difficulty higher than professional, what i see basically is 8 directions movement and only the geographical 4 are effective and efficient, up,down,left,right..
I mean if you try to run/sprint, controlling the ball, it is efficient only to run in the cross directions. If you try any other angle or degree , EG 35 degrees movement, either the game puts you on a "safety rail" of 45 degrees or the ball is stolen magnetically from you by the CPU.

Only pes2018 tried to implement real 360 universal movement, with milestone its live beta and regressing to demo and then more to final version. But even its final 360 regressed movement is way smoother than anything on the series.

If analog stick wasn't used for aiming manual balls, i would tell you that playing with D-pad is the biggest advantage you can have in oes 19/20.

Last edited:
For those who might be interested, the Retro Sports Club is now the Libero:
https://liberomagazine.wordpress.com/

And to really kick things off, here's a retrospective on the lost PES game that is the PS2 version of PES2008. Thanks to @geeeeee, if it wasn't for him I'd never have discovered this game.

(also when your OF is ready I'll gladly include it in the "Recommended Mods" section of the review)

Hope you enjoy it folks.

Nice read
Is there anyway to get PES 08 on PC (ps2 gen mode)?

@martyl2: Thanks man, and a WE9LE ML is definitely on my list, it's a great game. Regarding PES08 PS2, you can use an emulator since the PC version is very different from the PS2 one.

I did what I could, but in the end I still won the treble again on my PES08 PS2 save.
Sure, this time around it was much more difficult - we conquered the league on the very last fixture, as opposed to conquering it with more than 5 or 6 fixtures to go as we did on the two previous seasons; and ended up with the same points as Galatasaray but with much better goal difference.

At this point I'm just going to keep going as all the beloved Defaults will soon be retiring: next season, Stein will be 41 (!) - yet still plays all matches and remains club captain, which he has been since 2007 (we're now in 2022); Ordaz will be 37, Gutierrez 35, Hamsun 36 I believe...so the glorious journey of the ML Defaults will soon come to an end.

Gutierrez is on his way to get to the 500th goal milestone, here's one of his 41 goals (!) he scored this season on the league alone, in fact the very last goal of the season here.

As always, before the following season of this PES08 save I put this game on hold for a while and play some PES else. Time for PES5.
I don't know why but ever since I put that disk on the PS2 tray, every single match has been an instant classic.

This last one was one of the seven goals I scored with Nigeria against...England!

e4tJ3rd.jpg

Ten goals on a PES5 match has to be a personal record.

This evening I played with Iran vs. Tunisia, 15 mins before halftime and it was already 3-0 for me. Tunisia comes back all fired up for the second half and ties it 3-3, with Nemtos sending what would be an easy open goal tap in to the clouds, missing the chance to score the 3-4 in injury time.

I'm always saying that the attacking AI in PES5 is subpar...well, so far I've conceded at least 10 goals in 4 games... :DD

Regarding the discussion about 360 movement, I remember back in 2010 how important and how groundbreaking it would be, How over due it was and that it was the missing piece in football gaming immersion and realism.

It's a funny thing how as we age we simply understand things to be less important than we blew them up to be when we was younger. That when FIFA introduced 360 dribbling before PES, The latter was somehow inferior. Here we are in this Retro Corner acknowledging how insignificant the 360 dribbling can be to an experience, That 8 directions is fine enough for these vintage games and even the 16 directions of PES 2010 adds enough fluidity in movement without it becoming a icy prototype that PES 2011 was (Despite being a really good game still).

I could show a friend who's only reference is modern gaming; Retro PES and he would laugh at the "Limited" nature of the games & it's 8 directions but i guarantee after a couple of games of PS2 PES, You'll be having too much fun to notice.

Regarding the discussion about 360 movement, I remember back in 2010 how important and how groundbreaking it would be, How over due it was and that it was the missing piece in football gaming immersion and realism.

It's a funny thing how as we age we simply understand things to be less important than we blew them up to be when we was younger. That when FIFA introduced 360 dribbling before PES, The latter was somehow inferior. Here we are in this Retro Corner acknowledging how insignificant the 360 dribbling can be to an experience, That 8 directions is fine enough for these vintage games and even the 16 directions of PES 2010 adds enough fluidity in movement without it becoming a icy prototype that PES 2011 was (Despite being a really good game still).

I could show a friend who's only reference is modern gaming; Retro PES and he would laugh at the "Limited" nature of the games & it's 8 directions but i guarantee after a couple of games of PS2 PES, You'll be having too much fun to notice.
For me modern PES is still not pure 360. For modern fifa I can not judge for sure, cause everything happens so fast and so in light-weight, that makes it difficult for an inexperienced player like me, to feel the 360 movement.
Speaking for older titles the one and only (again) that tried to give some pseudo-effects of movement,while changing directions was the PES 3. Especially for me playing from PC keyboard, pushing the arrows like piano keys, creates some diagonal angles between the 8 standard directions of movement, which are small transition channels, but are not always the same, the degrees of movement may vary . The only “problem” is that as you input direction commands, it pulls you back to standard paths. These pes3 movement mechanics were toned down from pes4 and after, in order to make the game feel more responsive.
After came the pes2010 with the changes you describe.

Now there's a motto for life in general!
Absolutely. Dissmising a game merits the less realistic its visuals were? Man I feel silly but that's the naiveity of youth really. Still doesn't change, Games are largely marketed & impressionable young people first & fore most & the law of the playground generally is; If the graphics aren't indistinguishable from real life, Then it must be unplayable shit.

Tells you pretty much where all the focus & resources of game development go these days.

It's a powerful thing to be able to play older games and appreciate a games visuals for interpretation & not just limitations of the time.

The gent who linked PES 2 screens earlier makes me aware that PES 2 still looks good for what it was, A game from 2002 but also it has a consistent art style that stays true to its own rules. The star players are instantly recognisable with out needing 2 million polygons. You get the point, It's an artists impression but you're sucked into it's world through solid gameplay that keeps you focused on the task at hand, complimented by the sights & sounds of classic PES.

Well seeing as it's a little quiet in here thought i'd share episode 1 of my next series... World Cup 2010 courtesy of a sentimental favourite of mine, PES 2010!

Really getting stuck into this due to commuting to the tournament has brought it all flooding back for me. It's sentimental to me because it was my first PES on PC, The first time Konami really revamped the visuals and went for a more mature and realistic art style and remodelling all the player faces, A high quality & motivational soundtrack and a throwback to PES 5 with an emphasis on slower and more deliberate gameplay.

The biggest thing you may notice is just how underrated the animations and ball physics are in this one. Even the goal nets, Which i remember hating at the time due to the sag and weren't very faithful to the European box shaped ones we got back in PES 2012; have outstanding physics that really add a lot of satisfying flair to scoring.

So what's everyone else's feelings and memories of PES 2010? Do you think it's worthy of recognition as one of Retro PES's all time greats or am i just catching feelings for an unreliable and vapid ex girlfriend of mine?

For the first time ever, The FIFA World Cup arrives on African soil! We relive the festival of football using the incredible PES 2010. See all the goals from all 32 teams on match day 1 of the group stage. Plenty of shocks & great goals; What the World Cup is all about!

Hit the nail in the head. All these years I've been wanting football games to become hyper-realistic, a photocopy of the real deal on all aspects; and now here I am, playing 15/20-ish year old games on a regular basis, completely ignoring modern games. Ten, fifteen years ago I was dreaming of bringing real football onto a virtual platform; now, in a bit I'll be starting up a 13-year-old football game and edit the kits of the Antarctica football league there. I did not foresee this at all...

On one hand, these games are undeniably challenging, entertaining and realistic enough to feel like football, regardless of the technology that was used to build it. That's the mark of a real classic. I mean, no, I can't start a Pokemon Blue save and expect it to have 2019 graphics; but if one accepts that platform and plays the game as it is, it'll be impossible for him not to enjoy himself as he did in the late 90s when it was released. He'll live to see the day when his grandson calls him to say: "you know granpa, I wasn't expecting to say this but that Pokemon Blue game you told me about...it's goddamn amazing!".

Yet, despite the actual undeniable value of some of these games, there's also the subjective aspect of the experience. I for example am completely biased when it comes to ISS Pro Evo because it was my first ISS/PES on the PS1. People will say I'm nostalgic; if so...who cares? The thing is, while they are playing the game of PES20, I'm not actually playing a game of ISS Pro Evo. That is not a game anymore: it's a time machine that not only allows me to travel back in time but also gives me the opportunity of playing a fantastic game of football while I do it. (Yes, my time machine has ISS Pro Evo installed on it, why do you ask?) We're talking about playable memories here, and no modern game can even begin to compete with such a potent idea like that.

Which brings me to the point about this also being a subjective experience: it's not about playing the most modern of games just because they're modern; it's not about playing what game reviewers recommend; it's about you playing what you want and like to play. Maybe you're biased, maybe you don't know any better, but...who cares? It's your call and yours alone.

----
About your PES2010 adventure, man your commentary was already fantastic but you're clearly stepping up your game judging by that video. Bravo!
I have mixed feelings about PES10. The soundtrack is definitely amazing, probably my favourite among all PES games; the ML was an instant classic indeed. I replayed the game a while ago and found that it plays a very PES-5-like, patient, scrappy game when you're using really weak teams, and turns into a galloping fest most of the time when using great sides. I wouldn't say this is a vapid ex-girlfriend of yours, she's got a great ass and a beautiful singing voice but she's no Ana de Armas, vis-a-vis, ISS Pro Evolution...:COOL:
Oh and the lighting. It doesn't quite show on the stadiums you use there, but here you get to see it:

so strange, it's like a footballing version of David Lynch's Mulholland Drive. Even stranger, considering the lighting was really good in PES09.

Anyone know a way to force PES 3 run in windowed mode in Windows 10? Its automatically run in Full Screen regardless of setting i chose

Just use emulator program called PCSX2, you can run PS2 games on ur PC
There were just some performance issues, even in good PCs due to emulator software. Some tearing and microstutter issues.
Remember @madmaand some other guy suggested an other version, not the suggested one. It was an open source, devkit, openbeta, something similar..

Press ALT ENTER once it's running and that'll get it into a window.
Or go from options menu that is inside game. It has the same options as the settings.exe. Resolution and window/full mode. It works in a higher priority than the settings.exe.

Last edited:
Playing Master League on Pes 6. I'm in my third season. Last season I finished 12th in League and reaching the semi final of the Div 1 cup. I'm into the second half of my 3rd season and find that I'm now in the UEFA Cup (WEFA Masters). Is this some kind of bug? Has anyone else had this issue? It makes no sense. Logically tge UEFA cup should consist of 12 teams eliminated from Champions League and the four winners of the domestic cups or in the event of a cup winner having already qualified for champions league then the 7th place team in the league.

Well seeing as it's a little quiet in here thought i'd share episode 1 of my next series... World Cup 2010 courtesy of a sentimental favourite of mine, PES 2010!

Really getting stuck into this due to commuting to the tournament has brought it all flooding back for me. It's sentimental to me because it was my first PES on PC, The first time Konami really revamped the visuals and went for a more mature and realistic art style and remodelling all the player faces, A high quality & motivational soundtrack and a throwback to PES 5 with an emphasis on slower and more deliberate gameplay.

The biggest thing you may notice is just how underrated the animations and ball physics are in this one. Even the goal nets, Which i remember hating at the time due to the sag and weren't very faithful to the European box shaped ones we got back in PES 2012; have outstanding physics that really add a lot of satisfying flair to scoring.

So what's everyone else's feelings and memories of PES 2010? Do you think it's worthy of recognition as one of Retro PES's all time greats or am i just catching feelings for an unreliable and vapid ex girlfriend of mine?

For the first time ever, The FIFA World Cup arrives on African soil! We relive the festival of football using the incredible PES 2010. See all the goals from all 32 teams on match day 1 of the group stage. Plenty of shocks & great goals; What the World Cup is all about!

PES 10, a game I thought I would never revisit until watching your videos bro!

Hello guys, I would play Pes 6 on my new notebook (it can run pes 2020 too) but there's an horrible stuttering.
Can you help me?

@Pavel08: Tough one.
Gameplay-wise, I believe the undisputed winner is PES08 PSP. It's a sound mix of PES5 and 6 and after playing the PS2 version of it I'm suspicious it's even better than that one. However, it has only one stadium and sometimes you get lag when there are lots of players in the box after a cross/corner.
Later editions up until the very last one (PES14) are more arcady yet still a lot of fun, plus the lag is non-existent and there is more content to go along with the solid gameplay, such as the CL/Libertadores license/game modes, Become a Legend, World Player (which is a Become a Legend mode but you play with a real-life player) and so on.
The ML is also improved with little things such as the possibility of upgrading/downgrading your coaching/scouts/fan club management and real money instead of PES Points.

PES11 is the version I play the most (alongside, lately, PES08) because it's the PSP version with the biggest amount of stadiums. Things went a bit downhill after that iteration: the number of stadiums was reduced and the quality of the database became increasingly disappointing - I remember a strangely tremendously overpowered Polish team, perhaps Legia Warsaw but I'm not sure, as well as unrealistic statsheets for many players on many other teams (even more so than usual).
As for the gameplay and graphics, I don't notice any difference between PES11 and the rest after PES08 so that's usually my pick. Perhaps the biggest allure of all the PSP retro-PES games after 09 is that you get to experience different rosters over the years on a game that looks and feels like classic PES, which is very attractive for a (or many...) ML save(s).

A bit of trivia: correct me if I'm wrong but one of these PESs (90% sure it's PES14 PSP) has the 15-year-old player ever to appear on a classic-PES game! The youngest I had seen before was the likes of Giuseppe Rossi at 16.

@Pavel08: Tough one.
Gameplay-wise, I believe the undisputed winner is PES08 PSP. It's a sound mix of PES5 and 6 and after playing the PS2 version of it I'm suspicious it's even better than that one. However, it has only one stadium and sometimes you get lag when there are lots of players in the box after a cross/corner.
Later editions up until the very last one (PES14) are more arcady yet still a lot of fun, plus the lag is non-existent and there is more content to go along with the solid gameplay, such as the CL/Libertadores license/game modes, Become a Legend, World Player (which is a Become a Legend mode but you play with a real-life player) and so on.
The ML is also improved with little things such as the possibility of upgrading/downgrading your coaching/scouts/fan club management and real money instead of PES Points.

PES11 is the version I play the most (alongside, lately, PES08) because it's the PSP version with the biggest amount of stadiums. Things went a bit downhill after that iteration: the number of stadiums was reduced and the quality of the database became increasingly disappointing - I remember a strangely tremendously overpowered Polish team, perhaps Legia Warsaw but I'm not sure, as well as unrealistic statsheets for many players on many other teams (even more so than usual).
As for the gameplay and graphics, I don't notice any difference between PES11 and the rest after PES08 so that's usually my pick. Perhaps the biggest allure of all the PSP retro-PES games after 09 is that you get to experience different rosters over the years on a game that looks and feels like classic PES, which is very attractive for a (or many...) ML save(s).

A bit of trivia: correct me if I'm wrong but one of these PESs (90% sure it's PES14 PSP) has the 15-year-old player ever to appear on a classic-PES game! The youngest I had seen before was the likes of Giuseppe Rossi at 16.

Interesting staff about pes11psp. I wll give it a shot.
About you trivia, i remember also some other 16-years old. The one was a GK of Norwich, i think, on PES4 his name was Joe Lewis. Cant find any info not even on transfermarkt since then.
The other who is well-known, more than Joe Lewis at least :P , was Anthony VANDEN BORRE on pes 4, also 16 years old, playing for Anderlecht, being spelled in game as simply BORRE and latter on pes 5 being spelled VANDENBORRE, one word!!!!
https://www.pesmaster.com/vandenborre/pes-5/player/37/

Felt like firing up some Retro Pes. I did a game in my Pes 11 (pc) ML. Lost against Udinese and now I'm 1 point from Fiorentina (the first).
Now it's CL quarter finals time against Barcelona, who builded up some interesting team:
Riganpool CL.jpg

A bit fun to see Guarente and Antonini in an otherwise godly team, even if CR7 as the main forward is perhaps even stranger.. but whatever, will be fun trying to tame those three fork guys. They also still have Dinho in the bench ready to bring some more unpredictability.

Anywayt the transfer market algorythm in 11 is quite interesting because at least in my experience big teams often end up doing realistic sign ups and constructing fun to watch rosters.

Back
Top Bottom