The Retro-PES Corner

I am out of the loop at the moment and just popped in to see what's up and I'm very happy to see retro gang going. I do not regret swapping PS4 with PES 20 for Switch with Pokemon games, not at all, it's so good that I actually won't be buying a better laptop to play retro PES anytime soon. For now, I will enjoy reading your stories. :D

Although given the amount of PS3 PES nostalgia, games which I know nothing of (only played 08 and 09 in this era) I kinda wonder, maybe I should buy PS3 and play PES there? :D Could get one for 80 euro...I would only really play PES and Demon Souls, but it's an idea now...bwahaha.

Okay well that's it really, it's my time to go, there's raids to clear and an online team to build. In the attachment below I include a big big Wooloo screaming at modern football video games: bababa, go away u stupit! Here? We kingdom of retro! Babab.

JPEG_20191228_163259.jpg

That's what i'm talking about. Screw what the popular consensus is, Indulge in your own curiosities. What did you think to it then? Must've turned up by now?

I've not taken as deep a dive as i would've liked in PES 2011 yet but i do know that the game is indeed a carrier of the PES magic gene that was a formulative part of the PS2 era despite being an ancestor of modern PES as we know it today. My favourite thing about PES 2011 was the more mature art style and presentation, Konami started to distance themselves from the wacky, charming menu presentation of 09 & 10 and went for a slightly smarter Gran Turismo style look with the menu's having their own emblems and icons. And of course the great underground soundtracks of this period.

Still plays really bloody well too, Only thing i really dislike is the crowd noise seems so bloody flat and anti-atmospheric.

I returned to PES 2014 earlier this year before PES 2020 was released as i was curious how much Fox engine PES had evolved. It's no where near as polished and responsive as it went on to be but as far as the vision for a pure footballing simulation because the tech finally allowed it, It was the closest Konami came to recreating it. A fascinating prototype if you will but the game was rushed and thus wasn't of a standard customers were used to, Suits at Konami got cold feet on the sim direction and had embraced the culture of formulating fast paced, instantly gratifying addictive gaming and the very wholesome nature of micro transactions and here we are now. PES 2014 remained a relic of what could've been had they held of a year to present the new engine.

That looks pretty amazing, It's like life beyond our solar system, There's other like minded civilisation out there somewhere in our galaxy that shares our same sentiments & ideals. In this case it's not so much Star Trek but more South America and preserving and updating retro PES titles. Especially with in game tools, Now that's commitment.

I am enjoying it man. Always remember it being rough out of the edges when I played it back when it first came out. However it still has PES character, unpredictability and individuality in tact which is great. Very much enjoying playing with 09/10 teams as well. Whens your next PES 10 video out?

I finally found a way to take the PES2 PS1 disk out of the tray, wasn't easy though. I probably wouldn't have done it if I had a PS1 memory card, which I'm tempted to get for to play a few MLs/competitions on both ISS Pro Evo and PES2. Either that, or I'll play it on the emulator...

Now it's time for PES3. Just like I promised my friend @WhoAteMeDinner a long while ago, I'm finally starting a ML on that game. I'll be taking Puerto (Portugal's FC Porto, some say...) to international glory, starting with the Defaults naturally as in it's mandatory PES3 - though they'll all be shipped off this time around.

I thought of an interesting challenge/mission as a backbone to this adventure: I'll try to get most of the PES3 Porto squad back together - and what a legendary squad it was, since PES3 was released in the year before Porto's Mourinho won the Champions League back in 2004 (and right after we had won the UEFA Cup in a superb final vs. Celtic). Sadly many of those players' stats are not that realistic, some are even really weird like Ricardo Carvalho having 69 Defense and Tiago, an under-achiever benchwarmer and classic anchorman having...87 Attack?! Still, the most well-known players at the time like Vítor Baía, Jorge Costa, Maniche or Deco are okay.

I'm thinking of expanding the pool of acquirable players to include former/future Porto players like Fernando Couto, Sérgio Conceição, Ovchinnikov, Zahovic, Casillas, among others if I can find them in the PES3 default database I'm using.

Two games played so far, 1 draw (tied it 2-2 vs. Lens at the very last minute!) and 1 loss vs Fulham in which I couldn't even get one shot on goal. The good news is, the first actual pro player arrived and he's...Deco! He'll have the honor of sharing the midfield with King Minanda.

@MafiaMurderBag: You wouldn't believe the amount of people we could get to participate here if this thread was called "El Córner del retro-PES" or "O canto de retro-PES" :D In fact, their retro-PES community is so massive that they can even sell retro-PES patches, something that (at least) Brazilians have been doing for as long as I can remember. It's just that those people are all scattered on social media platforms these days and they communicate in Portuguese/Spanish, so they have no need to come here and speak English which is often only their 2nd/3rd language.

I am enjoying it man. Always remember it being rough out of the edges when I played it back when it first came out. However it still has PES character, unpredictability and individuality in tact which is great. Very much enjoying playing with 09/10 teams as well.
That's also very much a part of the appeal as well, Playing with the rosters we grew up with and with players that had great legacy's. Today's squads based on the naive youngsters takes a lot of getting used to, It's starting to resemble the NFL with very young players unhealthily tipped for greatness coming and going in the blink of an eye.

The only major complaint i have with PES 2010 now having spent the last 4 weeks with it is the lack of fouls. This is one of the points where the see-sawing with fouls in PES began, You'll seldom see a penalty in this edition but come PES 2011, They ramp them back up again and it's exasperated by the obnoxious replays after every single incident, which led to complaining and a gain a knee jerk toning down of them for 12 & 13. To this day as we learned with the PES 2020 demo and then the full game's bi polar disorder with fouls or lack thereof, Konami can never hit a sweet spot like they did with PES 5 & 6.

Makes you wonder why they can't just give us a foul frequency option in the game settings... Gee, What a novel conept eh?

Whens your next PES 10 video out?
I made an episode last week for the final group fixtures (Which was the most dramatic episode yet) and i've dropped a new episode today covering the last 16.

The group stages come to a close in dramatic fashion! World Champions Italy, England, Argentina, Portugal & even European Champions Spain could all still see themselves eliminated - No team is safe in the final group stage fixture!

It's time for World Cup Knockout Football! Featuring a clash between World Champions Italy & The Netherlands, France seek to avenge their loss to Greece from Euro 2004 and The Hosts South Africa battle Leo Messi's Argentina!

[/QUOTE]

One more thing before I go: I decided to make a compilation of a few retro-PES editing "basics" for PES3-6 (PC) - what we call the "classic" era of the series. Did it for many reasons: first, I got tired of having to go on shady sites to download a simple PESFan Editor and have to deal with those horrible ad.fly thingies when I clicked the download link. No I won't give you my phone number, no I won't like some page on Facebook, no I won't log on Twitter to download the file. I just want the damn file.

Second, most links do expire or file hosting sites disappear, and we end up possibly risking losing some of these utilities forever.

So I re-uploaded these files on reputable file hosting sites like MEGA and Mediafire and put out at least one mirror for each link. Better yet, no ads and no bullsh*t.

here it is:
https://liberomagazine.wordpress.com/2019/12/24/modding-retro-pes-the-classic-collection/

------

I remember seeing a PES5 tool collection around; does anyone have it? I'd like to add it to the retro-PES collection.

One more thing before I go: I decided to make a compilation of a few retro-PES editing "basics" for PES3-6 (PC) - what we call the "classic" era of the series. Did it for many reasons: first, I got tired of having to go on shady sites to download a simple PESFan Editor and have to deal with those horrible ad.fly thingies when I clicked the download link. No I won't give you my phone number, no I won't like some page on Facebook, no I won't log on Twitter to download the file. I just want the damn file.

Second, most links do expire or file hosting sites disappear, and we end up possibly risking losing some of these utilities forever.

So I re-uploaded these files on reputable file hosting sites like MEGA and Mediafire and put out at least one mirror for each link. Better yet, no ads and no bullsh*t.

here it is:
https://liberomagazine.wordpress.com/2019/12/24/modding-retro-pes-the-classic-collection/

------

I remember seeing a PES5 tool collection around; does anyone have it? I'd like to add it to the retro-PES collection.

I think have it mate. Should be this one: https://mega.nz/#!g4JFySDZ!a8j46K12ARrzDnuCzRtG6mbAvy02-qcu1R-wGQbz_n8
If I'm not wrong I've downloaded myself from another guy here who uploaded it himself time ago, can't remember who tho.

About pes 5...

This year I did a huge work on the 2005-2006 option file.
My favourite season, my favourite game. I would to have a perfect patch, cured in every detail.
Months and months of researches, pages full of notes, and here we are.
Free agents players are future young stars, or south american ones. All of them converted from pes 6 option files or from Football Manager.
My friend @Andregranata91, italian like me, converted some Serie B italian teams (Napoli, Torino, Atalanta and Brescia) from a ps2 patch and we put them instead of some european teams. A master league with italian teams in second division is a dream for us. Thanks Andrea, thanks a lot!

The kitserver is full of faces. I put litterally every face exists.

I'm very proud about this work, and I would like to share it with you when it will be complete.

I need help with e_text and 0_text files, to custom our product.

Who wants to help us? Write me in PM please.

Last edited:
So my Pes 2011 journey kept going.

I unfortunately lost my most important titles; after a good head to head with me and Inter, Fiorentina won the Serie A and following some not good performances I slowly faded away in the last league games, catching with more than some struggle the third place (good to avoid CL preliminary turn).

In CL I did an epic match against Barça, I won 0-1 at Camp Nou (after the 2-2 of the first game) (also worth noting this magnificent right missile of CR7 from 35 meters or something which almost vanified what I did:
and advanced to the semifinals, where I found in some kind of international derby, Liverp.. ehhr Merseyside Red, which unfortunately eliminated me in an heart pounding double face off; I lost the first game 2-0, with a great Gerrard proving why he was elected best player of the CL, then in the return match I almost believed I could make it when I performed a perfect 2 goals come back, only to have a Jarolim pass error in defense condemn me in the overtime.

Only joy of this season came from the Italian Cup, which I finally won against the same Napoli who beat me to it in the previous season and constitutes the first trophy of this ML. Scored this beauty in the final:

Which definitely made me fall in love with Toristao, a fake player who I bought just to cover a void, but that now will stay with me till the end.

Anyway, they must hate the Coppa Italia or something at Konami cause they didn't even gave me a proper Cup.. just the medals LOL:
Coppa Italia winners.jpg
a bit weird :D.

Season ended and since I finally had some money, I hired 5 stars coaches wherever I hadn't one and put to maximum the other things like the fan club. Now I have a club working at his full potential.

Then the market came.

Out Oscar Cordoba (he was "desperate for a move" probably cause he never saw the field as a second keeper), Jarolim (he pays the CL error :D, never went crazy for him) and Aubameyang (simply disappointing), plus guys like Ceciu (retired) and El Moubarki (end of his contract).

In Milner, Cavani and Van Der Sar from the youth team as the new second.

Then after I thought that no good offers would have ever come for my players.. here they come with 40 fucking millions for Walker :SHOCK:.
Had to accept it, promoted another fake legend (Virota) as the appointed right back and searched for a world class midfielder.. tried for Pjanic, but they asked me a crazy 60 millions plus that would have polverized my finances; had for a moment the Dinho temptation, but resisted it; Iniesta didn't even want to treat with me and I finally settled for Modric in the last market day (still have to line him up).

In the meantime I started the new season with a draw, a loss against Roma at Olimpico stadium and finally a victory against Inter in my own field.

I have abudance in the attack compartment (Schwarz, Lukaku, Cavani and Sanchez for two shirts) and I'm somewhat short in the others, with just 3 central defenders, not a single classy midfielder after my three starting ones (Milner, Modric and Ramires) and no true substitutes on the sides. Wanted to play some 3-5-2 but I'll probably stick with 4-3-1-2. Will be a fun but surelly hard season :).. this game is perfect for some good emergent storytelling.

Anyone played winning eleven 6 final evolution? I have it on the gamecube it's a solid game decent difficulty good AI and the master league structure is the old one so something different

Anyone played winning eleven 6 final evolution? I have it on the gamecube it's a solid game decent difficulty good AI and the master league structure is the old one so something different

I played it back in the day and honestly to me the gameplay was a step back from the original Winning eleven 6, plus it had those strange looking big butt body models for players. I even remember a thread here back in 2002–03 "Winning Eleven 6 FE Cack evolution?" or something among that line (@Chris Davies perhaps could point us to that lost thread).

Despite of being inferior to it's predecessor, it was a good and fun game. I remember the great quality of patches created for the PS2 game, back when most patches either took care of licences of the original game or completely edited the teams to a specific national league or champions league. I think it was the first WE which saw patches that actually modified players, team uniforms and menus.

I played it back in the day and honestly to me the gameplay was a step back from the original Winning eleven 6, plus it had those strange looking big butt body models for players. I even remember a thread here back in 2002–03 "Winning Eleven 6 FE Cack evolution?" or something among that line (@Chris Davies perhaps could point us to that lost thread).

Despite of being inferior to it's predecessor, it was a good and fun game. I remember the great quality of patches created for the PS2 game, back when most patches either took care of licences of the original game or completely edited the teams to a specific national league or champions league. I think it was the first WE which saw patches that actually modified players, team uniforms and menus.

I never did play we6 I played some of pes 2 with friends and wasnt that impressed and I feel we6fe is a step up i will give we6 a try too and maybe some of the ps2 patches as the gamecube translation isn't complete

Thanks for the nice words friend @Fabri55

Much of the merit of the patch is above all yours: Steaua Bucharest, 2006 winter market of the Serie A 2005 2006, and especially faces and hair customized for almost every player.

In my opinion, if we were to give all the files to Sany our patch would be better than the excellent FLS.

If someone wanted to help us on the e_text and o_text files we could release the best patch ever made for Pes 5

I leave some images to be inserted for the o_text for those who were able and willing to help us

02.jpgNonda.jpegadriano.jpgshevchenko2006.jpgTotti.jpgLuca_Toni.jpg

Hi guys, I made an official video of the WE9 1930 World Cup tournament I played with my nephew. I tried to find the music that captures the atmosphere of the 1930s, with some tango and a little Gardel, since the first World Cup was played in Uruguay. I think you will find it really different!

So my Pes 2011 journey kept going.

I got a bit more hands on with PES 2011 this week for the first time in a long while, Been having a lot of fun with it, Great memories of when this game came out and i really felt like this is what the series needed, A slight rejuvenation of the controls and mechanics. I mean, I can play the PS2 engine PES titles with comfortable ease and i know those engines like the back of my hand but ergonomically; PES 2011 is like a breath of fresh air.

The game is silky smooth, Zippy & responsive to control and it's a delight, albeit a little too fast at times and that's largely down to the bizarre omission of a decline game speed setting. I loved that this was the first time they not only modernised the controls but also the player models as the trend in the sport was leaner players and tighter fitting strips. There was a nice consistency between licensed player faces and in-game builds. It was was nothing like the jarring juxtaposition of PES 2020's 3 tiers of player faces: in game builds (which look like the spawn of the Wario universe), The wonderfully hand made licensed faces by the talented artists at Konami and then of course the premier deluxo, Scanned (Or rather; cloned as @miguelfcp would probably share my chuckle & sentiment in on that one).

There's a couple of things that i don't enjoy so much with 2011. You can't seem to curl passes, This is one of the few regressions from PES 2010 and that's that the passing game and build up play is no where near as satisfying. PES 2011 is a lot more frantic on the ball and in the build up play, The sense of patience and plotting from 2010 has been neutered here. Most passes seem to bit it as straight as an arrow with the laces of the boot regardless of how gently to tap the :x: button.

Also they introduced this strange fetish with kickoffs & goalkeepers being automated? You can't seem to control the latter other than throws or dropkicks but they've removed any kind of manoeuvrable input from them?

Hi guys, I made an official video of the WE9 1930 World Cup tournament I played with my nephew. I tried to find the music that captures the atmosphere of the 1930s, with some tango and a little Gardel, since the first World Cup was played in Uruguay. I think you will find it really different!
That looks really interesting, I've been meaning to try but haven't found the time yet.

How have you found it plays, Does the stats make the game feel like it truly plays in a different era or is it just the same old familiar WE9 but with different skins?

A true, Authentic retro mode is something i always wanted Konami to implement. It never sat well with me that we would get the 7 classic teams but no retro stadium, fans and general aesthetic to appreciate them in. The closest we got in modern gaming is a throwaway prologue in FIFA 19's Journey with no way to enjoy the assets out side of that mode. Seemingly a waste.

I understand why nobody really want's to make and effort with a truly authentic scenario mode and why we get these half arsed ones in World Cup games. 1st of all of course is the complicated process of securing licenses to individual vintage players and kits and the financial worthwhile of doing so which probably coincides with the second reason... Pitching this feature to a contemporary demographic and trying to convince the corporate cigar smokers and the marketing guys that this mode is gonna sell more copies. How can we convince people to spend money on micro transactions with this mode? Where's all the bright colours that draw kids in like moths gone from Volta?

I know which one i'd rather have.

It's definitely a unique experience. Compared to normal WE9 the ball is slower to imitate the heavy balls of the era and most importantly the ancient formations employed (2-3-5) make up for a really different game of football. There is a lot of space in the field but nevertheless it isn't so easy to score and when you play defense your 1v1 skills are crucial. If you compare the footage of that era to goals scored in the game you will find they are pretty close. Sloppy passes, virtuoso dribbles, crowded penalty areas, 1vs1 duels and of course goalies' hats.:)

@MafiaMurderBag: Jokingly I often say that the players in football games are not clones of their real-life counterparts: the real is what is cloned off of videogames :D

(...)

I understand why nobody really want's to make and effort with a truly authentic scenario mode and why we get these half arsed ones in World Cup games. 1st of all of course is the complicated process of securing licenses to individual vintage players and kits and the financial worthwhile of doing so which probably coincides with the second reason... Pitching this feature to a contemporary demographic and trying to convince the corporate cigar smokers and the marketing guys that this mode is gonna sell more copies. How can we convince people to spend money on micro transactions with this mode? Where's all the bright colours that draw kids in like moths gone from Volta?

I know which one i'd rather have.

That's why it's so hard these days for established brands like Konami to innovate. All is seen through the framework of money-making, ideas only have merit if one foresees it'll be able to generate profit. That's bullsh*t. 25 years ago no one knew what a Master League was and a few years later, and for more than a decade, the Master League was what everyone around the world couldn't get enough of. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith and wholeheartedly believe on your idea, to hell with what everyone and everything from marketing to big data tells you. That's how innovation takes place: you have to give people what they don't even know they want - yet.

But if you build your whole business on what people are wanting or have wanted in the past, no wonder why the modern football games' main focus is an animated trading card game, or that the ML and BaL are practically the same as they were a decade ago, or that those games are now "esports" platforms - what they call "esports" has always existed, it just didn't have an exquisite-sounding nomenclature nor big bucks supporting it because the media was too busy shitting on gamers for being childish for playing games; until they realized wait a minute, the gaming industry is taking over the world so we'll hop on that train and make it "cool" instead of "nerdy".

---------------

My PES3 ML with FC Porto Puerto keeps going.
After I bought the first actual Puerto real-life player for our team, Deco, we kept going with our disappointing performances despite having a dream midfield where the original Rui Costa before Rui Costa knew he was Rui Costa - the one and only, King Minanda - teams up with "O Mágico" Deco. Oh and also Celnili. After two unjust draws which I celebrated as if I had won 5-0, two unfair losses as I should've had lost by many more goals, including the very last of these matches a 1-4 defeat at home against our dreadful rivals Benfica Lisbonera - which should've ended 0-7 or 0-8 so I also celebrated this one - I decided to fire the manager and bring in Jorge Jesus, who you might know for just having won the Copa Libertadores with Flamengo, though when PES3 was released he was managing the almighty...Portugal's Estrela da Amadora. Don't worry Jorge, I believe in you, I just know you'll be a tremendous manager one of these days. Jorge Jesus immediately scrapped the Master League Defaults Formation (the 3-5-2) and implemented his trademark 4-4-2 flat with a false winger, high pressure and high defensive line.

Jorge might have grown used to being given many Christmas gifts as soon as he signs for a club: got Saviola when he arrived in Lisbonera, Felipe Luis/Rafinha in Flamengo...well he did ask Puerto's chairman for reinforcements but we just don't have enough PES Points to "make a blind man sing", as we say in Portuguese.

So, Jesus set up his 4-4-2 like this:
GK: Ivarov
RB: Espimas
CBs: Vornander, Dulic
LB: Valeny
DMF: Celnili
CMF: Deco
False-RMF-actual-AMF: Minanda
LMF: Ximelez
ST: Castolo, Barota

Interesting dynamics here: Espimas is given free rein to attack and Minanda allows him to fill that flank while he himself goes to more central areas, closer to Deco. On the left, Valeny acts mostly as a CB, rarely going forward, which leaves the whole flank for Ximelez to explore.

After the tactical change, we haven't lost a single game (except a 2nd leg of the D2 Cup in which we just played the reserves anyway). Three wins in a row, and now in mid-season we're just one point away from West London White who's 2nd in the D2. Castolo is on fire with 7 goals scored already, while Minanda has found a second life as a RMF-AMF combo.

In a couple of games another transfer window will open but I don't think I'll have enough PES Points to bring in more original Puerto players I need to abide by the rules of this challenge, so I bet it'll be Deco and the Defaults until the end of this season.

1st season of my PES3 ML with Puerto is now over.

qJBQBEe.jpg

After the tactical change I spoke of in my previous update, which brought an amazing 3 wins in a row - as well as a 2nd place on the D2 standings -, we then drew no less than 5 matches in a row (!!) and ended up letting go of the dream of promotion to the D1.

Still, the interesting bit is that we finished with the best defensive record of the league! Our main issue was always our lack of ability to create chances up front; Castolo carried the team on his back, having scored more than half of Puerto's 12 goals, but Barota, Ximelez, Deco and Minanda were almost always harmless - yes, even Deco. The teamwork system in PES3 is ruthless: when you acquire a player, his teamwork attribute drops to excruciatingly low levels, and it'll take a while for him to recover. It definitely shows on the pitch: on the first few matches you'd believe Deco was a ML Default himself, such horrible were his performances, but bit by bit he began to showcase his skill and by the end of the season he was already controlling the midfield.

In the end, despite our decent first season, we will spend another one on the D2.
As for the D2 Cup, WL White eliminated us on the first round.

---

The pre-season 2 is here and I was able to shake things up a bit.
Because of the lack of PES Points in the bank, I couldn't buy players so I had to rely on free agent transfers and trades. The first bunch rejected all of our offers, so trades it is. I was able to move Celnili, Ceciu and some other guy and got Peixe, Paredes and Ricardo Fernandes - all past Puerto players IRL, though most fans won't even remember they played here. So far, the blockbuster trade has been Castolo for Benfica's Miklos Feher - a risky one, as Puerto gives up his undisputed best player and top scorer for a reserve (with good stats though). You might know that Feher died while playing a match for Benfica just a season after PES3 was released, I was watching the broadcast of that game at the time...
Also got Jorge Andrade for Ostwaut.

I was reluctant but ended up acquiring a few on the "Growth Players" list, which features a few young newgens with horrible stats and names like Leibniz, Goya, Fahrenheit...cheeky Konami. Got Leibniz (GK), Hugo (CMF), Morais (SMF) as benchwarmers for me to be able to let go/sell/release/kick out/poison in their sleep the likes of Zamenhof, Stremer, Burchet and Huylens since no club wants them and they never play anyway. As soon as I'm able to get more IRL Puerto players I'll release them as well; for now, they might be useful as Yellow Card Slaves.

Espimas got two transfer offers (Constantii and Guadalquivir, I believe) after having been one of the solid elements of Puerto last season, playing as a RB. I let him go and am now able to actually acquire players. Have made an offer for Helder Postiga to play a Postiga-Feher duo up front and trade/release/"terminate" Barota, who was extremely disappointing last season and is one of our costliest contracts.

In parenthesis are the players who're next on the acquirable list:

GK: Ivarov (Ovchinnikov, Vitor Baia)
RB: Peixe
DC: Vornander, Dulic (Jorge Costa, Argel, J. M. Pinto)
LB: Jorge Andrade
DMF: Paredes
CMF: Deco
AMF: Minanda (Maniche, Alenitchev)
LMF: Ricardo Fernandes
ST: Feher, Barota (Postiga)

...and just like that, I'm getting closer to complete of the objectives of this save: to be able to field in an all-Puerto starting-11.

You might know that Feher died while playing a match for Benfica just a season after PES3 was released, I was watching the broadcast of that game at the time...

I think I remember seeing that, hadn't he just recevied a yellow card and then he just collapsed on the floor. Awful.

@mattmid: Yep, he smiles after getting booked and then...poof. We're talking about a young guy, pro player for more than half a decade for some of the best teams in Portugal. Life is strange.

Back
Top Bottom