The Retro-PES Corner

Only dipped my toe so hard to tell. A bit like a kid in a sweet shop right now; don't know what to play next. But I'm well into my PES2 ML just now and won't really get into the others until it's out of steam.

Interesting to read @Madmac79 and @Saint Angelo talk Barbarez. He used to haunt me way back when and continues to this day in my aforementioned ML. He and Giovanni (Olympiacos). His stats are decent, but not enough to explain the damage - maybe he just has that balance of abilities that makes him too hot to handle for us mere mortals.

Yeah Giovanni is a pain too, I think I wrote him about him in some previous post about this ML.

And about the bulky attacker without godly stats, but still capable of scoring a ton, there definitely is more than some truth. I remember for example that Toni in Pes 5 had a single stat over 90 (body balance), yet pad in hand under the net he was a goal machine on par with the best forwards of the game. I think that the mix between height, high physical stats and post player/scoring/center/positioning special abilities was like the formula to produce the perfect stereotype of that kind of bomber.

@geeeeee That is really interesting about having an "end goal" to when you will call it quits to your current ML. To go along with my other games I play, it is nice to "beat" the game. So in a sense, once you have finished 1st in ML 5 times, you will have beat the game. I also like the idea of taking on the challenge with a weaker team. Thus you will totally new players to get to know and love, (and hate) which should keep your ML quite fresh.

Using your OF, I am playing as the real world Spurs team. I guess my goal is the same as the real life team... Break into the European elite, finish high in the domestic league standings, and win a cup! Any cup...

Yeh I love the defaults but it can be just as good a challenge taking on a weaker team or eventually even feeling the pressure of taking on one of the big teams. That is something that has never interested me but it would make a change having the worldly players and having fun with them. The thing is their wages would be higher so it would add extra pressure to win games.

I really like your idea about changing stats and transfers and playing exhibition games but that is just too time consuming for me. It seems to take forever updating the OF every day with faces and kits and stats. On that note, let me know if you would like me to send you an updated one? Although it would mess up any stats that you have changed in your game.

Only dipped my toe so hard to tell. A bit like a kid in a sweet shop right now; don't know what to play next. But I'm well into my PES2 ML just now and won't really get into the others until it's out of steam.

Interesting to read @Madmac79 and @Saint Angelo talk Barbarez. He used to haunt me way back when and continues to this day in my aforementioned ML. He and Giovanni (Olympiacos). His stats are decent, but not enough to explain the damage - maybe he just has that balance of abilities that makes him too hot to handle for us mere mortals.

I agree, there is so much choice in the classic retro sweet shop. You can't get those sherbet flying saucers in the new shops :DD

Let us know how your ML is going in PES2.

So onto Matchday 7 in my ML

First up is away against Huddersfield, in our 4 encounters last season we won 2-0 and 4-2 in the league and lost 3-0 and 1-0 in the cup. Our matches always seem to be exciting. Will this next one be?

Huddersfield 2 Canvey 2, yep it certainly was an excellent game with some great moments. Just before half time there was an excellent scramble in our penalty area finishing with Quaner missing an open goal. The thing is that his looked so realistic, he hit it well but took his eye off the goal. Also, a strange 4.5 rating for Ordaz even though he won the penalty and scored it.

So we go into the pre season break in 4th place, 4 points off the promotion spots. But as I said before, because the form is bad and I have changed my goal in this game, I really feel like I need to make a change. So i decide to start at the back and bring in....

1590435667105.jpeg
1590435690526.jpeg

A fellow country man to Ivarov and slightly older but Selikhov stats are better, in particular his Defence, Body Balance, Goalkeeping. I am going to gradually replace the spine of the team

After the transfer window it is on with our next match away against Aston Villa...

Aston Villa 4 Canvey 1, after a great start from us with Ordaz getting his 7th of the season, we were ripped apart by an excellent, Trezequet, El Ghazi (some of his runs!), and Lansbury who scored a fantastic brace, one excellent volley out of nothing and then an exquisite lob. Not a great start for Selikhov in terms of the score but he looked quite confident with his handling.

What is good is that even though his Team Work stats are better than Ivarov's. On the Formation screen, when you press 'circle' i think, it shows the Team Work rating between players. Selikhov's is then lower than Ivarov's which shows a kind of hidden 'Team Spirit' which works far better than the newer games.

Come on Canvey we need to get up from this low point and press on.

@reinelt97 man, your ML sounds really glorious. When you miss the main objective for so long and you still are enjoying it so much, to me that's the ultimate benchmark you are playing a quality game. Unbelievable to see the gems we missed or underplayed.

@geeeeee
Shame for the results. With a little more luck you could have at least came out with three points. Anyway, loved Kodjia's header for the first Aston Villa's goal and the fourth one by Lansbury looked indeed like pure genius, with that first time lob. I'm also happy you kinda soften your transfer policy, bet it will be funnier with some more new signings :)

Guys, do you know FECIC ? It's an Iss Deluxe for Snes editor.
I got it since a long time. But i don't know if it's windows 10, but when i open the file, i got all teams buggy (like Denmark club for Italy, no player in Mexico etc.)
I downloaded a patch "names corrected", but now that i'm checking about it, the guy who made it have also changed several stats, and names are wrong (FIDRINI > Del Piero, not Signori for example, and he raised a bit too much his stats. I want the vanilla game with names corrected only)

Here's the official website, links don't work anymore https://fecic-english.page.tl/
Another with links working, in spanish http://www.romhackers.org/modules/PDdownloads2/singlefile.php?cid=9&lid=183

I wanted to rename everything, with the vanilla version, unchanged stats, for more accuracy. I'm doing it on my PS1 version as they allows it too.
Also, i noticed that for example ISS PRO 98 Europe and US version have different rosters.

I was planning to rename everything during the summer, won't took too long like one day by games, and share by PM (savestates for PS version as i don't know where to found memcard on Batocera)

Sorry man, can't help you, but it's very fascinating to see there is interest in editing something as retro as Iss Deluxe.

He looked quite assured picking it out of his net :LOL: Seriously though he looks a good upgrade and I'm sure he'll do well.

:LOL: Ivarov has been teaching him how to do that in training.

I am hopeful that he will improve, there were a few moments when he was out of position before he made the save. I think Ivarov must have told him how important his position is, “if you start off in the net then it saves you the walk when picking the ball out.” :LOL:

@geeeeee
Shame for the results. With a little more luck you could have at least came out with three points. Anyway, loved Kodjia's header for the first Aston Villa's goal and the fourth one by Lansbury looked indeed like pure genius, with that first time lob. I'm also happy you kinda soften your transfer policy, bet it will be funnier with some more new signings :)

Yes i am looking to the signings too. I am hoping to bring in a good CB and DMF, just to get that spine stronger. For some reason Dodo is having a poor season when normally he is quite good for me. Will see how it goes as the season pans out.

It's been a little while since I gave an update on my progress with the PS2 version of PES 2011, one of what I like to call the lost PESes.

The main thrust of this update is to announce that this is the best PES I have ever played... better even than PES 5, as a package at least.

Lockdown has given me more than enough time to progress with my ML campaign on this game and after 10 (yes, TEN) seasons of ML, I'm still in Division 2!

The main reason for this is the fact I have restricted my default club to a strict wage cap (£1m) and made only youth and unnattached players signable. The rock hard ML finance system and a brutal AI has meant I have had season after glorious season of failing, just missing out on promotion and then having to rebuild a desimated squad again.

Season 10 saw me win the Div2 cup for a second time before an incredible late run that brought me to a crunch last day fixture away to second place Fulham. Win and I go up in second, lose or draw and it's Fulham that clinches second and promotion.

My team take a 1-0 lead through Danny Rose (smashed it into the roof of the net in that way only PES 2 era PES seems to allow you) and it looks like this is finally going to be the year. But no, a corner to Fulham, hacked and thrash3d clear, a bobble, and a Fulham midfielder connects so sweetly with the ball from 30yds plus that is arcs perfectly just out of reach of my keeper and into the top corner of the gloriously bulgy nets on this game. I would have posted it up here but playing on a CRT (this game comes alive on an old set as opposed to a HDTV) means it looks awful once captured.

So, no promotion and five top players all off to bigger and better deals, including my top scorer, Cameron Jerome, who went and signed for promoted Fulham!

The good news is that Season 11 is underway with my team enjoying its best ever start. New free transfer signing Luuk De Jong didn't look up to much sats-wise but he's on fire with 8 goals in 8 so far. The extra money from last season has been invested in a better coach and scout and it looks to be working. This could be the season...

I agree with Madmac, your ML looks excellent. I love the way you have to buy a coach and a scout and that you don’t see the player’s stats until you have scouted them a few times. How does the training work? Is it the same as the older PES’?

Looking at the 2013 ML last night I'm convinced it's possible to play out a league season using it, seeing as Konami removed in this edition for reasons known only to them.

By setting transfers to me only and turning off development is there any reason why you can't just play out a one off season? You'd also have the added bonus of players not being happy if they aren't used and so on.

The cup would include a D1 but you could also fill D1 with 24 other teams and treat it as a European competition or indeed start in a lower division yourself and have the division above as the D1. If you get promoted you move the teams to D2 with your own in the league structure bit in the editor and start the next season (new ML) like that. Even doing real life transfers etc before starting if you want to.

Of course the 18 team D2 limits it a touch for a 20 team league. @Madmac79 @slamsoze is there anything I'm missing that would say this is not possible?

One thing I realised when playing PES 2012 last night was that I actually hadn't practised penalties yet and that I really should..

So went into free training & remembered that this was a period in the series where Konami was experimenting with the penalty system, Except it was never truly intuitive.

While I kind of like having agency over your own power and placement, The random system in the PS2 has it's charm and dramatic effect.

Least of all, It's completley simple & understandable after taking one & saving one how to perform a penalty.

When I first took one in PES 2010 when they first allowed to to input shot power, All of my penalties where going straight down the middle, I couldn't figure out why. Then I learned, You enter your power first, THEN you press left or right on the stick to decide placement as your player runs up to the ball. Why?

It's one of these things where in real life some players are undecided about where they want to place it even while running up to the ball sure, But its not very intuitive unless you've researched the system.

In PES 2012 they've reverted back to placing your penalty before entering your power, But it's actually pretty hard to Miss the goal unless you deliberately max out your power bar. So there's an element of variety missing from penalties on this game.

Oh and they introduced Paneka's on this game too if you hold R2 just before you kick the ball to do a deft chip but it's a little crude in this one.

What are some of your favourite or least favourite penalty systems in Retro PES or football games in general?

@MafiaMurderBag i like all the old PS2 penalty system on all of the games. Although i think in PES5 it was easier to score down the middle because the CPU goalie dives to the side more often.

I know what you mean about the newer ones. Can’t remember what one it was but i hated that side cam view when taking the penalty. I could never remember if you aim left and right or up and down.

For me though the best was one of the FIFA ones, i think 16 and earlier. When you have the bar going backwards and forwards and you had to stop it in the green bit. But the green bit was really small if your player was naf at penalties.

This ouo adware sites are a total pain in the ass.

Tried 20x times to reach mega for pes 2008 stadium part 5 but can´t reach it...

@MafiaMurderBag
Still have only 720p resolution, even with kitserver and had 16:9 files past in the folders.

Scoreboard is now not working, it shows score and time, but has a big white circle on it.

And is there any manuel for kitserver how to Access to stadium browser?

Last edited:
Looking at the 2013 ML last night I'm convinced it's possible to play out a league season using it, seeing as Konami removed in this edition for reasons known only to them.

By setting transfers to me only and turning off development is there any reason why you can't just play out a one off season? You'd also have the added bonus of players not being happy if they aren't used and so on.

The cup would include a D1 but you could also fill D1 with 24 other teams and treat it as a European competition or indeed start in a lower division yourself and have the division above as the D1. If you get promoted you move the teams to D2 with your own in the league structure bit in the editor and start the next season (new ML) like that. Even doing real life transfers etc before starting if you want to.

Of course the 18 team D2 limits it a touch for a 20 team league. @Madmac79 @slamsoze is there anything I'm missing that would say this is not possible?
What do you mean by "set transfers to you". You mean not to the assistant?

This one... I assume it means other teams will not do transfers in or out

View attachment 44196
Oh ok. I have never gotten over this option. If player development OFF, guarantees that players do not age also, then i assume that a League mode is viable, in this ML workaround. Also your players will have contracts that will need renew, or they renewed automatically?

@slamsoze Hadn't thought about contracts but if you treat it as a one off season it wouldn't matter. Plus if finances are irrelevant (other than covering wages) in the sense that there are no transfers, were you to continue more seasons you should have enough cash to renew them?

@slamsoze Hadn't thought about contracts but if you treat it as a one off season it wouldn't matter. Plus if finances are irrelevant (other than covering wages) in the sense that there are no transfers, were you to continue more seasons you should have enough cash to renew them?
I really don't know. And IIRC you have other expenditure , like having to invest to team staff or youth academy, fan club. I assume you could set them to minimum. But for real can't set my mind 100% what could go wrong or OK in order to make it work , or not.

Would n't it be more reasonable, to be able to turn transfers to OFF universally? And auto gray out the player development and currency settings? But on the other hand, we are talking about a workaround in the 13th installment of a series, that does not have single League mode, so anything could be possible and against common logic!!! :)

I mean in those games 11-12-13, if you don't have budget to pay , in the payday, the game automatically decreases all investment costs and if not enough, it auto releases your most expensive players and auto promotes some lads from youth team. If you can't complete a 16-men squad.

For only one straight season maybe it can work.

@slamsoze Yeah I'm trying to think what could throw a konami spanner in the works and can't think of one yet. I don't think you can turn transfers off completely(?) but then again I don't remember if I cycled right round in those option after seeing the 'only me' setting - which is the same thing really as 'I' won't be doing anyway. Development and classic set to off.

I'll have a try later and sim to the end of season and have a look at the teams and stats, make sure nothing untoward has gone on in D2 or other leagues come to that.

@slamsoze Yeah I'm trying to think what could throw a konami spanner in the works and can't think of one yet. I don't think you can turn transfers off completely(?) but then again I don't remember if I cycled right round in those option after seeing the 'only me' setting - which is the same thing really as 'I' won't be doing anyway. Development and classic set to off.

I'll have a try later and sim to the end of season and have a look at the teams and stats, make sure nothing untoward has gone on in D2 or other leagues come to that.
You can always go more KONAMI than KONAMI (themselves), and as we say in Greece, "punch the blade of the knife", by SIMing a League inside a ML an then SIM a proper ML season outside PES on a FM!!!!!!! and so on etc, etc,etc... :P :D

This one... I assume it means other teams will not do transfers in or out

View attachment 44196

Man I never played with those options off. I guess transfers should only be available for you but as you and Slam already discussed, who knows with Konami? Curious to heard about it if you'll sim it. Maybe it could really turn out to be a decent workaround for the league absence.

Talking about something else, have you checked the gameplay tool for 13? I can't remember if you already did. There is a nice discussion about it in the latest posts of the Pes 13 thread around here, I think it could be interesting for you to check it out :) .

@MafiaMurderBag I think the one system I hated the most was in next gen Pes 11 (probably the one you meant as well @geeeeee ).. the idea was interesting, but it was so counterintuitive and intricate that it ended up just as plainly frustrating. I've missed a lot of penalties for it and I think I have only saved the central ones. Awful, from the lateral camera to the way you were supposed to pick directions.

Ps2 system maybe lacked a bit of freedom, but on the emotional side of the things it replicated the moment in a much more faithful, genuine and simple way. From the ones with the CPU to the ones against friends it always produced some very high quality drama to me.

I also agree that Fifa 16 system was very good.

Man I never played with those options off. I guess transfers should only be available for you but as you and Slam already discussed, who knows with Konami? Curious to heard about it if you'll sim it. Maybe it could really turn out to be a decent workaround for the league absence.

Talking about something else, have you checked the gameplay tool for 13? I can't remember if you already did. There is a nice discussion about it in the latest posts of the Pes 13 thread around here, I think it could be interesting for you to check it out :) .

@MafiaMurderBag I think the one system I hated the most was in next gen Pes 11 (probably the one you meant as well @geeeeee ).. the idea was interesting, but it was so counterintuitive and intricate that it ended up just as plainly frustrating. I've missed a lot of penalties for it and I think I have only saved the central ones. Awful, from the lateral camera to the way you were supposed to pick directions.

Ps2 system maybe lacked a bit of freedom, but on the emotional side of the things it replicated the moment in a much more faithful, genuine and simple way. From the ones with the CPU to the ones against friends it always produced some very high quality drama to me.

I also agree that Fifa 16 system was very good.
Was n't the 2011 system, the weird that no one knows exactly, how they should be taken properly. Like the video tutorial below, that haunts me until today:

@mattmid ha ha what possible spanner could Konami throw in? :LOL:

@slamsoze i know exactly what you mean about the tutorial haunting you. The amount of times i would leave out practising penalties until i eventually got one and then i would have to look for the instructions only to find out that new generation PS physical instruction manuals are not there anymore so then you look online. So much pressure for your first penalty against the CPU.

Right...concentrate....whack...out of the stadium! :LOL:

Thanks, I'll take a look. I thought I saw somewhere that you can't attach the gameplay tool and kitserver at the same time, is that right?

@mattmid ha ha what possible spanner could Konami throw in? :LOL:

Possibly anything from their rather large tool box of "Yes, we actually added/took away this!" I'll probably reach the end of the season to find tied points are decided by the team with the highest number of A's in their players names or something!

Thanks, I'll take a look. I thought I saw somewhere that you can't attach the gameplay tool and kitserver at the same time, is that right?

If I remember correctly it had problems with game official patches from 1.04 onwards. I tried it on the 1.0 exe that is included in the Space Patch I've used to test it and it worked fine, however I'm not 100% sure of the whole picture, probably somebody on the official topic will know better :) .

Ok just reached Feb 1st and it seems both windows passed ok. Transfer news is greyed out so that's good. I can't see any capital names in my D2 teams and nothing seems untowards in them.

transf.JPG

Here's the table to date out of interest, the top 16 are the real teams of Swedish Superettan (Div 2) for this season and the bottom two, not shown, are 2 weak Danish D3 teams, one of which I'm in charge of, well not that I'm doing anything. Those two are the bottom two.

d2table.JPG

So far it looks ok, going to sim out the rest of the season now

I stopped just before the final game to see if there was anything to be played for and the team I'm playing can win the league if the beat me and the leaders don't win as they are 2pts behind with better goal difference.

Meanwhile the cheeky secretary is going to find herself out of a job. :LOL:

unfortu.JPG

Yeah, no shit?

table.JPG

Just the 47 pts behind with one game to go.

Oh and is she finished? No.

cup.JPG

Unacceptable? We're a Division 3 Danish team and we met Barcelona!! Losing 5-1 and I thought we did well to get the 1. Lucky it wasn't Brage, who lost 7-0 to Sociedad.

I stopped just before the final game to see if there was anything to be played for and the team I'm playing can win the league if the beat me and the leaders don't win as they are 2pts behind with better goal difference.

Meanwhile the cheeky secretary is going to find herself out of a job. :LOL:

View attachment 44233

Yeah, no shit?

View attachment 44230

Just the 47 pts behind with one game to go.

Oh and is she finished? No.

View attachment 44231

Unacceptable? We're a Division 3 Danish team and we met Barcelona!! Losing 5-1 and I thought we did well to get the 1. Lucky it wasn't Brage, who lost 7-0 to Sociedad.
This quote (...and your beloved...) meanwhile, is present in every PES until today (2020). What's the problem with these people, secretaries and assistants? Don't they love the club they work for? Are we the only one employee in ML universe, that love our employer?

Back
Top Bottom