The Retro-PES Corner

One thing I have spotted is you'd have to make sure you put your teams over the original D2 teams I think. Akropolis are over Juventus and because of that were in the initial champions league. Now, call me cynical but I wonder if something is going on here with the Team ID in the Champions League because they won their group with 6 wins, yet were 16th in the league with only 8 wins all season.

They did have a fellow D2 team in the group but also had Braga and Zenit. Now their teams are missing a few players that i've moved out but given Akropolis' league record 6 wins seems a bit of a surprise to say the least. They did lose to Midtjylland in the first knockout phase though. Still at least there is nothing Team Id related with their league performance.

The end of the season has come and it all seems to have gone ok :) Although if you ask me my keeper is a little too smug for a man who conceded the better part of 70 goals.

keeper.JPG

Always interesting to see particularly as it's a real league so here's the final stats and it looks like you're money should be on Halmstads or AFC Eskilstuna for the title. AFC lost at home to Norrby in the final game to hand the title to Halmstads who had no problem disposing of "my beloved" Avarta.

D2.JPG
Danish D3!
d3.JPG

Scorers/Assists Looks like Avarta's Hemmishoj might be destined for a little better than Avarta, managing 10 goals in a bottom of the table side.

In a real Konami moment, check out the guy from Brage in 5th in the assists table with name that Konami would have been proud to have come up with. :)

scorers.JPG

assists.JPG

Awards/Team of the season (spoiler : No Avarta players made it in! )

Looks like Degefors have a decent midfield too!

awards.JPG

teamoftheseason.JPG

Oh and the glory hunting secretary left for 'her beloved' Halmstads.

So it looks like it's possible to play out a league season within the ML. :BOP:

I just had a thought that it's possible to go straight into D1 as well isn't it? I'm sure I did that the other day inadvertently in a test. I know you always could in the past once the shop was unlocked. If so that's great because then 16 or 20 team leagues can be done too. EDIT: Yes you can.

The Options needed:

Capture.JPG

To be in D2 either put the teams over them or move them in the league structure in the edit menu (you can't move dutch/spanish or french league teams even if you've replaced them). Make sure you don't have a team over a hard coded Champions/Europa league team for the first season.

Or possibly play out another size league by going straight into D1

Start your season and play it out in full.

You will of course be in a cup, so either fill D1 with relevant teams you want or just get yourself knocked out in 2 legs of 5 minute match in the first round if not.

Finish bottom and get chastised by your secretary (optional)

Play more seasons if you like with promotion/relegation but same players/stats or load up another league/season and start ML again. :)

I'm going to continue the time on it now to see what happens re contracts and cash.

EDIT: Simmed through 3 seasons, players renewed contracts - not sure what might happen if one doesn't want to, guess you could re sign him as a free agent if so. Everything else appears fine, so it should work like the old league mode where you could play continuous seasons. :)

Last edited:
Excellent stuff @mattmid really pleased that your work is coming together nicely. To think that all this time people would complain that there is no league mode and you have managed to solve it.

I know it takes a lot of hard work but at least it keeps you out of Robbin Sellin, or in other words, trouble :P

Next game in my ML.

Matchday 9 at home against bottom club Sheffield United. We cannot afford to lose now if we want promotion this season.

Canvey 3 Sheff U 3, boy did we need that! What a fantastic come back. I thought we were going to get hammered at 0-3 but then Castolo got a fortunate rebound although he did well to anticipate the save. The second half was great for us but even when Burchet scored the diving header I thought it was too late but the player of season at the moment, Ordaz, had other plans. His strike was so so good. He is getting better and better. Although El Moubarki had to take one for the team late on, it was well worth it. And seeing Selikhov come out and claim the ball after the resulting free kick shows a confidence that Ivarov never had. That draw really felt like a win today. I feel that the team gained confidence after that. Next up it is 2nd placed Norwich.

Also, why does El Moubarki playing style remind me of Kyle Walker? It must be his bursts down the wing and his defensive errors.

Ciao comunità di Retro Pes.
Nonostante abbia un PC che abbia ampliato le caratteristiche della vecchia generazione, (8 GB di RAM, Nvdia Geforce gtx750, processore I3 4.3 Ghz, Windows 10 ultimate) Pes 5 e Pes 6 hanno sempre fastidiosi balbuzie nel gioco.
Perché ??? Come posso risolverlo?

Last edited:
@mattmid ah mate it felt so good when that strike went in. It is so satisfying scoring in these older games especially goals like that and at times like that.

The table looks like this:-

1. Southampton 21
2. Norwich 17
3. Fulham 14
4. Wolves 14
5. Canvey 11
6. Aston Villa 10
7. Huddersfield 8
8. Sheff U 6

5 games left and we have Norwich next:CALM:

@geeeeee All to play for still then! That would be a massive win if you beat Norwich, what a great end to the season that could set up, especially if Villa were to win as well, could be 5 teams going for 1 place in the last four games then! Must be a glitch in the game there though, that team in first never win anything :D

Has anyone encountered stuttering in PES 3 and WE7i (Windows 10)? At the same time, PES4/5/6 work well when I turn on vsync and triple buffering in the Nvidia settings. It didn’t work with PES 3 for an unknown reason... Is there a way to make this work smoothly?

Now I'm sure this will be exotic for y'all. Shollym patch Serbian league with some popular songs by Goran Bregovic.

(This tournament had no winner, as my nephew was beaten by me in the last game using his own team that he had brought to the final.)

I agree with Madmac, your ML looks excellent. I love the way you have to buy a coach and a scout and that you don’t see the player’s stats until you have scouted them a few times. How does the training work? Is it the same as the older PES’?

The training is really good @geeeeee . It feels like a mix of the PS3 PES 2011 ML format and the glory days of PS2 - that's very much the whole game, I am finding.

The satisfying "blip, blip, blip" of seeing player stats increase after games is such a joy, as is focus training in the close season and the ability to click on a player to see their career stats.

Currently just past the winter transfer window of season 11. Managed to get Mats Hummels on a free (as per house rules) to bolster my top-of-the-table team and went straight into a home game vs third placed Bournemouth, convinced this is finally going to be our promotion season from Div 2 after a decade stuck down here. Final score: Brighton 1 Bournemouth 4. :CONFUSE:

@reinelt97 the training sounds good. Yes me too, I love that "blip, blip, blip" and it kind of has a "ding" as well or something when the stat has fully increased to 100. That's in PES2008 and earlier ones, not sure about the newer ones. That is not a bad freebie. Remember it normally takes time for them to settle. Ah man 1-4 is a blow. Hopefully though you will recover quickly. :)

@mattmid yes all to play for still.

Here is the next match. Norwich (2nd-17pts) v Canvey (5th-11pts). It will be tough because Espimas is in at right back for the suspended El Moubarki. I have moved Guti from CF to AMF and I just noticed that he has not scored a single goal yet (how can I not know? Call myself a manager...I don't even know my players)

On top of that, Norwich have beaten us 3 times this season. Oh well here goes...

Norwich 0 Canvey 2, wow get in there son. Guti put all his anger in that shot, he knows that he has been poor since the last day of last season and he let everything out in that one shot. The way he was challenged but he had the composure to pick the ball up again, set his sights, and whack. But on top of that he had the humility to allow Ordaz to keep taking those penalties. Espimas by the way at right back was excellent. It is not in the highlights but in the first half especially he was breaking up play quite a lot and sending searching balls to Castolo. It was only the yellow card that spoiled it a bit but we were getting anxious at that point. I really felt that if we conceded then Norwich would equalise but thankfully we held on. Once again Selikhov looked good and was holding on to shots. I noticed that his reach looks longer than Ivarov. So pleased we won that match.

Table is...

1. Southampton 21 (sorry matt)
2. Fulham 17
3. Norwich 17
4. Wolves 15
5. Canvey 14
6. Aston Villa 11
7. Huddersfield 11
8. Sheff Utd 6

Our next two games are Wolves away and then Fulham at home.

And just one last thing....

1590599558046.jpeg

@geeeeee Wow, what a strike. Ordaz and Guti having their own goal of the season competition! Almost in your own hands then with those two coming up, with the right results elsewhere you could be second going into the last two games. I feel it's going to go to the last day - who do you have on the last day?

@mattmid yes they certainly are. If Guti can carry on with his form I really feel we can make it. I think Guti plays better in that AM position coming from deep, he seems to tie it all together.

Our next 4 games are...

Wolves 4th
Fulham 2nd
Southampton 1st
Huddersfield 7th

Let us know how your ML is going in PES2.

That's me three seasons down with Ajax.

1st season: Promotion playoffs, Tiny Cup (lol) first round.
2nd season: mid-table mediocrity, Tiny Cup winner.
3rd season: mid-table mediocrity, Tiny Cup semi finals.

And that Tiny Cup semi final? Hamburg. Golden Goal. No prizes for guessing who scored it...

I'm using my classic 'sticker book' Master League approach, the aim being to rebuild the Ajax team bit by bit from the cheapest to the most expensive. But I think I went too far in the first season by bringing in too many players. Firstly, a lot of the real players aren't much better than the defaults. Tim 'Nothing To' de Cler was the first in the door and he's no better than Eddington. It's not all bad though; Yakubu (who I've just Google and discovered he died in 2017) was a great buy because he has the scintillating speed, Stekelenburg has been a giant, and Wamberto brought in some more much-needed pace in the final third.

Secondly, team work. I didn't remember this being a thing in PES2, but it is. How it manifests itself I'm not entirely sure, but I'd guess it's all or some of: wayward passes, lack of movement off the ball and poor first touches. So now I'm thinking that ripping up the default squad so quickly has actually hampered my chances of progress. If it is the Team Work ratings, it's still more subtle than PES2020, where low Team Spirit makes everyone move like they have the flu to handicap you.

Ahead of season four there'll be no players in and I'll let the team work flourish. Hopefully Ibrahimovic (never Zlatan (certainly not as a verb, you're a 38 year-old man, mate)) won't miss half the season through injury this time. 'Shandy' Andy van der Meyde a decent deputy but nothing more.

What are some of your favourite or least favourite penalty systems in Retro PES or football games in general?
@MafiaMurderBag
For me though the best was one of the FIFA ones, i think 16 and earlier. When you have the bar going backwards and forwards and you had to stop it in the green bit. But the green bit was really small if your player was naf at penalties.

Golden era PES penalties were always too random for me. Did they take attributes into account at all? Missing the target with the best players on red arrows suggests not. After ballooning a crucial pen over the bar with Batistuta (I think) on a red arrow in an early PES I always go low and down the middle if the pen is an important one. I always thought it a shame given the classic free kick system is so simple and effective and has never been bettered in football games.

In agreement that the best penalty system is what I'd brand as Golden Era FIFA as @geeeeee suggests.

Hi @IrfaN28 i use a physical PS2 linked up to a AVerMedia Game Capture HD. I also have an external hard drive to save it to and of course a computer to do the video editing.

Here is a YouTube link...

I checked and there is one left in stock on amazon which is the same model. I am not sure if the newer models work with PS2 but they should do.

What is good is that when you play the game it plays in HD. It’s a shame it does not record in HD.

Hope that helps :)

@Flipper the Priest it sounds like your ML is a challenge which is good because once you finally get promoted it is a good feeling. I like the idea of building the team slowly. Like you said you can do it too quickly and then have a problem because of the Team Work. Not sure how it works in PES2 but in 5 and later on the formation screen if you press circle (PS2) then it brings up the Team Work percentage of each player and how it affects those around him. The good thing in these older PES’ is that if one player has a lower TW rating then it just affects those around him rather than the whole team. Whereas in the newer PES’ Team Spirit nerfs all the players so that they all become slower etc...

What Yakubu are you referring too? The only one I can think of is the Nigerian striker, also known as ‘The Yak’ who is still alive I believe.

@Flipper the Priest it sounds like your ML is a challenge which is good because once you finally get promoted it is a good feeling. I like the idea of building the team slowly. Like you said you can do it too quickly and then have a problem because of the Team Work. Not sure how it works in PES2 but in 5 and later on the formation screen if you press circle (PS2) then it brings up the Team Work percentage of each player and how it affects those around him. The good thing in these older PES’ is that if one player has a lower TW rating then it just affects those around him rather than the whole team. Whereas in the newer PES’ Team Spirit nerfs all the players so that they all become slower etc...

What Yakubu are you referring too? The only one I can think of is the Nigerian striker, also known as ‘The Yak’ who is still alive I believe.

Definitely. I love that I'm pretty rubbish at it. Sounds quite perverse, but I rarely feel like I'm genuinely (FIFA) and honestly (PES) challenged by recent games.

I thought Team Work was introduced in PES4. Shows you what I know. Yes, I'm almost certainly putting the squad together too early. A generous points allotment and the number of free agents made it too easy.

The Yakubu in question.

Went through two big matches against Byzantinobul/Galatasaray and Lombardia/Inter. My rank now looks like this:

rankafter.jpg

Rivaldo and Zidane's Galatasaray beaten me once again, this time 0-1, with a Revivo goal. Even if I lost, I must admit it was a truly well fought match that looked a lot like a battle for the top. They are turning to be one of the most cursed teams I've ever played in a long while lol.

They momentarily passed me over with this win, but luckily I beaten Lombardia at San Siro and they surprisingly tied against Veneto (Chievo), so I retained 1st place. Ten matches to go now. Would be nice to win league, but I'd be happy even securing 2nd place and avoid playoffs for WEFA.

Don't think I'll do big things on the future transfer market if anything at all. I'm fond of all players and I don't know if I'll bring in more as a roster of around twenty really feels like a good, challenging balance until now.

Well, to be more precise, I'm fond of all except one: my second keeper De Goey.. every time he plays, he just looks terrible. A little sample here:

where he almost costed me a game against Bourgogne. But D1 Cup, other brief appeareances in the league.. whenever I let him play, he does something bad.
I'd love to exchange him for some other historic keeper, however I have a bit of a dilemma as in the same time I'd hate to strip for example Arsenal of Seaman or Perugia of Seba Rossi, their regulars of course, just to have a better second. We'll see.

I'd love to exchange him for some other historic keeper, however I have a bit of a dilemma as in the same time I'd hate to strip for example Arsenal of Seaman or Perugia of Seba Rossi, their regulars of course, just to have a better second. We'll see

I heard Ivarov's looking for a job. :D He can make De Goey's errors look like nothing.

Looking like it could be quite a season there!

Went through two big matches against Byzantinobul/Galatasaray and Lombardia/Inter. My rank now looks like this:

Rivaldo and Zidane's Galatasaray beaten me once again, this time 0-1, with a Revivo goal. Even if I lost, I must admit it was a truly well fought match that looked a lot like a battle for the top. They are turning to be one of the most cursed teams I've ever played in a long while lol.

They momentarily passed me over with this win, but luckily I beaten Lombardia at San Siro and they surprisingly tied against Veneto (Chievo), so I retained 1st place. Ten matches to go now. Would be nice to win league, but I'd be happy even securing 2nd place and avoid playoffs for WEFA.

Don't think I'll do big things on the future transfer market if anything at all. I'm fond of all players and I don't know if I'll bring in more as a roster of around twenty really feels like a good, challenging balance until now.

Well, to be more precise, I'm fond of all except one: my second keeper De Goey.. every time he plays, he just looks terrible. A little sample here:

where he almost costed me a game against Bourgogne. But D1 Cup, other brief appeareances in the league.. whenever I let him play, he does something bad.
I'd love to exchange him for some other historic keeper, however I have a bit of a dilemma as in the same time I'd hate to strip for example Arsenal of Seaman or Perugia of Seba Rossi, their regulars of course, just to have a better second. We'll see.
Wow, that looks like a very nice season :)

Would love to see your roster (if you haven't already posted yet and I just missed it).

It's hard to go back in time precisely, but what about some backup goalies from that time, that turned out getting better after all?
Like Butelle (Valencia) or Manninger (Arsenal)?

---

I just told you some time ago, that I found a old save game (PES 6) going "fully reincarnation" that time redeveloping some of my prefered players way back then.

I just continued the season right now and reached the final matchday.
With "some" distance from my team right back then I am going to replace some of my players.

[...]

Well, I just wanted to post my roster right now, but anyhow my Windows 10-PC decided to not reading any DVD from the optical drive, so I am currently not able to start PES 6 anymore :-/

Already tried some NoCD-Patches, which won't work either. Any other ideas?! :(

Wow, that looks like a very nice season :)

Would love to see your roster (if you haven't already posted yet and I just missed it).

It's hard to go back in time precisely, but what about some backup goalies from that time, that turned out getting better after all?
Like Butelle (Valencia) or Manninger (Arsenal)?

---

I just told you some time ago, that I found a old save game (PES 6) going "fully reincarnation" that time redeveloping some of my prefered players way back then.

I just continued the season right now and reached the final matchday.
With "some" distance from my team right back then I am going to replace some of my players.

[...]

Well, I just wanted to post my roster right now, but anyhow my Windows 10-PC decided to not reading any DVD from the optical drive, so I am currently not able to start PES 6 anymore :-/

Already tried some NoCD-Patches, which won't work either. Any other ideas?! :(

Fore sure mate. It's been a great ride until now indeed. This game is pure magic :) .

Don't think I've ever posted my complete roster until now. Here it is:
eleven.jpg
pes3 2020-05-28 23-37-28-95.jpg

Regarding the keeper affaire, I'm doing a specific challenge in this whole ML: I only buy players from 34 years old up, so I have some self inflicted limited choices :) .

As for Pes 6, damn it sucks man. Strange that it doesn't work with a no-cd. Anyway, I'm sure there is an installer for a vanilla version too available somewhere in this megathread: https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-6-global-patches-full-installers-by-sany.67651/ no idea which page precisely, but I'm sure somebody from that thread or even here should know as I've seen it suggested more than once. Hopefully you'll be able to take your ML again from where you left!

Regarding the keeper affaire, I'm doing a specific challenge in this whole ML: I only buy players from 34 years old up, so I have some self inflicted limited choices :) .

Is Dino Zoff in the classics? :)

Nice squad you have there.

@kežman

here's the link @Madmac79 mentioned. Download and install it, then put your OF into documents\ (I think it's P6I1OF) save folder. Copy your OF first just in case. :) It runs as an original PES6 default game.

https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-6-global-patches-full-installers-by-sany.67651/post-3261226

@mattmid Matt I have classics turn off for now, it seems it can be changed in any moment tho. Could actually be a really good idea if I'll keep feeling sorry to steal someboy else's keeper :D

omg @Madmac79 is that Vlad Munteanu he was my first transfer 🐑 he kinda good

Also Karpin is kind of insane, benefits a lot from not aging in this ML since its PES 3. Had both him and Mostovoi, two ancient Soviet pillars of Celta Vigo 🐑

Installing clean PES 3 right now, shit boutta go down 2nite 🐑

@Saint Angelo yeah Munteanu is like my 12th starting player, he's so versatile. I think I've put him in every single role from defensive midfield up to forward. He hardly disappoints.

I also considered Mostovoi myself but I already wanted Baggio so having another quality omf in the bench would have felt a bit overkill.

@Madmac79 @mattmid

Thanks so much for your support.

Today the drive is working again - anyhow I will start the download and try that.

As mentioned, here is my squad, which will complete the 2019-2020 in a few moments ;):

(all reincarnated)
#PositionNameAgeGamesGoalsAssists
1​
GKVítor Baía30477--
16​
GKvan der Sar26194--
2​
CBMihaijlovic27269819
32​
CBStam2732912
5​
CBF. de Boer2771--
14​
CBBoulahrouz17---
4​
WBvan Bronckhorst2433--
3​
WBMellberg2261-1
18​
DMC. Poulsen184--
8​
CMCocu2816844
24​
CMA. Svensson198--
12​
CMBosvelt291423-
20​
SMBeckham232322
13​
SMAlexandersson283441522
21​
SMZenden2313636
26​
SMWilhelmsson172--
29​
SMFigo254922
7​
OMLjungberg215023
11​
OMLitmanen292994217
10​
SSBergkamp273368814
27​
WFOvermars177--
28​
CFK. Andersson17---
22​
CFKluivert217-1
9​
CFKezman20292-
23​
CFvan Hooijdonk2754132
17​
CFAllbäck2563122
25​
CFIbrahimovic173--
31​
CFBendtner3247834130
CFvan Nistelrooy2167212
Edit (Updated Squad with stats)

Wow, what a nice final game of the season.

For my team would stay on 3rd place, no matter what would have been happened here.
My opponent AS Saint-Etienne had the chance to qualify for international championships by winning - anyhow they lost 0:1 by a Bergkamp strike from right outside the box and finished the season at 8th place.

It is remarkable how the teams developed and how this great Saint-Etienne side was not able to get a better position in the table - some players from their team against me: Toldo, V.Ismael, Curro Torres, Rijkaard, di Natale, Frings, Rothen, Riquelme, Raúl, P. Léonard, P. Clement, ...

As far as I remember my team was the title holder until now. The season was already over before I continued this old savegame - maybe that was the reason I did not keep on playing it? ;)

Well, Chelsea finished strong and won the league:

(I tried to insert the screenshots here, but it looks like the forum does not allow pngs - will update this later, I am too tired right now to convert them)

1. Chelsea (70 Points)
2. Benfica (63)
3. Arsenal (58)
4. Hertha BSC (50)

Remarkable retirements this year:

Rummenigge (Fenerbahce, 36): He was a nightmare, glad he retired. Scored 133 goals for Fener.
Kaka (Hertha, 38): Weakens the Hertha. Could turn out to be good for me but only played 99 games at all (?)
Robben (Chelsea, 36): Afaik he wasn't playing that much at all (21 games, 5 goals)
Joaquin (Beinfica, 39): 538 games, 143 goals, 83 assists. Hall of famer of my league.
J.S. Park (Fener, 39): Looks like Fener is losing big this summer - 361 games, 75 goals and 44 assists.

Others:
Haan, Banks, Cassano, van der Vaart, Vidic, Tiago, J.S. Park, Fred, Higuita, A. Riera

So, the next season just starts, I guess I will keep on specializing on reincarnated players and going to refresh some spots in the squad by some youngsters.
On my "can leave"-list are:
van der Sar, de Boer, Boulahrouz, Poulsen, Svensson, Wilhelmsson, Figo, K. Andersson, Kluivert.
If there is a need for the money or a spot in the squad I could also imagine getting rid of van Nistelrooy, Ibrahimovic, Ljungberg or Beckham.

Sounds much, but honestly: some of those guys are from the zeitgeist those days and are not longer that nice in my current opinion ;)
Perhaps I could also get a good transition to a more winger based system. Until now my starting eleven looks like this:

Vitor Baia - Mihajlovic, Stam, Zenden, Alexandersson - Cocu, Litmanen, Bergkamp, Figo - Bendtner, van Hooijdonk/van Nistelrooy

Well, let's see what the Free Agency will bring next year ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom