The Retro-PES Corner

Also regarding PES 2, I completley agree. While yes it's primitive in terms of some of the more quality of life improvements we get in 4 & 5 such as advantage play or passing to further players by holding down :x: but as far as simply capturing psychology of football and it's simplicity yet diversity.. It's capability of surprising you with moments that are completely plausible, Well it's a masterpiece quite simply.

The more and more I play classic PES the more and more I regard the long-press pass as a curse. You have to be more patient without it. Work an angle. The irony is: I like more direct football in real life!

Binned my ML save after another unsuccessful season. I thought instead I'd take what I've (re)learned into a new game with Barcelona. Promoted at the first time of asking! Had one of the best matches I've played in any football game for a long, long time in the first playoff fixture against Marseille. Came from 2-0 down to lead 3-2 after a stellar cameo from Matt, before a Bakayoko header from a corner with the penultimate touch of the ball drew them level. Gutted but delighted at the same time. Such tremendous fun.

Played a fair bit of PES 2020 last night after the Euro DLC update. As I put earphones in to drown out the noise of the console, it made me appreciate my whisper-quiet slim PS2 even more, and the delights held within.

@geeeeee How do you apply patch/option file for PES 2008 PS2?

Edit: Omg PES 2008 in PS2 emulator runs beautifully now on my machine. Even better than PES 5 on PC. The graphics is alsobetter but man it's difficult in a good way. CPU Attacking AI is more intelligent and CPU defensive AI is more active in closing me down. Stats have more impact now and every match is like a chess match. Really hard to break down opponents. Also the dribbling is a mix of PES 3 and 4. Very unique. Not similar to PES 6 and it's more fluid too. This is a hidden gem. Will upload a video soon.

On my PS2 I have to use a MaxDrive but I am not sure how to apply an option file if you use an emulator on the PC. Maybe @miguelfcp will know. I have sent you a PM with a link to my option file. Hopefully you can get it working.

I am pleased that you are enjoying the game. The CPU is very good going forward but I am just discovering better ways to defend and learning to be patient when attacking. Are you an ML player or League and Cup mode?

On my PS2 I have to use a MaxDrive but I am not sure how to apply an option file if you use an emulator on the PC. Maybe @miguelfcp will know. I have sent you a PM with a link to my option file. Hopefully you can get it working.

I am pleased that you are enjoying the game. The CPU is very good going forward but I am just discovering better ways to defend and learning to be patient when attacking. Are you an ML player or League and Cup mode?
I start with League first because I can have 20 teams on it and have a realistic 38 matches. I wish I could get that in ML too.

Just finished a couple of Serie B teams in the 01/02 OF I'm working on, the plan being that will be D2. Decided to have a game between them, Cagliari v Cittadella and what a game it was! I played as Cagliari and had the best of the early part of the match, eventually taking the lead through a penalty after being brought down on the edge of the box. Then Cittadella came flying back into it with two goals in about three minutes, the second from a really sloppy pass in my own half that virtually gifted them the goal.

Then I got the equaliser in something I have often tried in PES but had never come off until now.

I swear I had the shoot button pressed before I even knew I had a man near where the ball was going to land :LOL: He caught it absolutely perfectly with the outside of his foot generating a massive swerve on the ball. I didn't include the close up shot I looked at in the replay but the ball was spinning anticlockwise like crazy.

It ended 2-2 and was a really gritty second half with lots of misplaced passes and neither team could find a winner as both teams started to tire. Cittadella hit the bar with a header and I did a bit of damage to the advertising boards but that was as near as I came to winning it. There were two bookings apiece in the second half as well. Never having played this version until recently it's nice to see the AI fouling pretty regularly and some petulant, deliberate one's too, as well as the run of the mill tussles and mistimed tackles.

Match Stats.

cagcit.JPG

@MafiaMurderBag: Thanks man, I don't have that latest release so that might solve things out. Will try it out later!

Yep. Even when compared to PES3 one can see it's much more archaic, which goes to show the greatness of PES back then, managing to improve massively what was already not only a fantastic game but a simulation that was lightyears ahead of anything else on the market.
Still, besides finding PES2 as enjoyable as any other retro-PES game, what strikes me the most is how it captures the essence of late 90s football. No building up play from the back, passing it around fruitlessly for half an hour until the team gets bored and finally has a shot on goal; no obsession with controlling the pace of the match, or the ball possession: it's a game of electrifying action, two teams bravely exchanging blows for 90 minutes...building up play from the back?...you mean, pressing :square: and hope poor Vieri up front gets the ball...? It's wonderfully chaotic.
From PES2 onwards, as real-life football was changing, so did the game itself. This and the ISS Pro Evos (and certainly PES1, which I haven't played yet) are what we often call here "time-machines" but not just because of its technology or the teams/rosters/players; rather they give us an opportunity to experience what football was before the tactical revolutions of the 00s which changed the sport forever.

@Madmac79: Most people when they try retro-PES games end up comparing it to the modern game - which you know I think is unfair -; how much would their perception change if they instead compared each retro-PES title with its contemporary rivals? This is truly the only way to fully understand the greatness of some of these titles. These days it seems picking FIFA or PES comes down mostly to a personal preference; but play a bit of PES2 or 3 and then compare it to its rivals (FIFA03/04, for example) and you'll see PES was in another galaxy really - back then the choice was playing PES or why the hell are you not playing PES.

@breezy: What's your formation? Usually I get that problem when my formation tries to adjust to the opponent's, for example when the back line has to deal with 2 or 3 attackers and so the SBs tuck in in order to prevent the opp. to have numeric superiority in the box.

@Topaz: If you are already impressed by it, wait until you try it with PSD stats, it's like a PES2008.5.
I don't know how to apply an OF on the emulator, though I'm 99% sure someone figured it out and posted here about it. @Lexypoooo, was it you?

@Flipper the Priest: I used to be a bit bothered about the lack of a long-press short pass, but I'm completely used to it by now. As you put it, you have to be more patient and careful with your build-up. The less skilled your player is, the more mistakes he'll commit in this particular area; but use a Zidane and you can sit back, relax and enjoy the show most of the time.

That match must've been wonderful. I want to start a ML on PES2 but I'm out of ideas, so in the meanwhile I'm just exploring the teams, getting to know rosters and players on more Pseudo-CL challenges.

@mattmid: PES13 is shining bright under your influence, loving it man. Interesting rate of completed passes on your screenshot, very realistic.

@mattmid: PES13 is shining bright under your influence, loving it man. Interesting rate of completed passes on your screenshot, very realistic.

Thanks. Yes I was really pleased with those pass %'s, particularly the AI's (Cittadella). Mine should probably have been a little higher, nearer to there's but I'm using keyboard and either 1 or 2 bars (i forget) on passing assistance. As a result my midfield may have completed more passes to the advertising board than anyone else when trying to find the wide men. The manager's thinking of signing one we can play wall passes off in midfield. :)

@MafiaMurderBag: Thanks man, I don't have that latest release so that might solve things out. Will try it out later!

Yep. Even when compared to PES3 one can see it's much more archaic, which goes to show the greatness of PES back then, managing to improve massively what was already not only a fantastic game but a simulation that was lightyears ahead of anything else on the market.
Still, besides finding PES2 as enjoyable as any other retro-PES game, what strikes me the most is how it captures the essence of late 90s football. No building up play from the back, passing it around fruitlessly for half an hour until the team gets bored and finally has a shot on goal; no obsession with controlling the pace of the match, or the ball possession: it's a game of electrifying action, two teams bravely exchanging blows for 90 minutes...building up play from the back?...you mean, pressing :square: and hope poor Vieri up front gets the ball...? It's wonderfully chaotic.
From PES2 onwards, as real-life football was changing, so did the game itself. This and the ISS Pro Evos (and certainly PES1, which I haven't played yet) are what we often call here "time-machines" but not just because of its technology or the teams/rosters/players; rather they give us an opportunity to experience what football was before the tactical revolutions of the 00s which changed the sport forever.

@Madmac79: Most people when they try retro-PES games end up comparing it to the modern game - which you know I think is unfair -; how much would their perception change if they instead compared each retro-PES title with its contemporary rivals? This is truly the only way to fully understand the greatness of some of these titles. These days it seems picking FIFA or PES comes down mostly to a personal preference; but play a bit of PES2 or 3 and then compare it to its rivals (FIFA03/04, for example) and you'll see PES was in another galaxy really - back then the choice was playing PES or why the hell are you not playing PES.

@breezy: What's your formation? Usually I get that problem when my formation tries to adjust to the opponent's, for example when the back line has to deal with 2 or 3 attackers and so the SBs tuck in in order to prevent the opp. to have numeric superiority in the box.

@Topaz: If you are already impressed by it, wait until you try it with PSD stats, it's like a PES2008.5.
I don't know how to apply an OF on the emulator, though I'm 99% sure someone figured it out and posted here about it. @Lexypoooo, was it you?

@Flipper the Priest: I used to be a bit bothered about the lack of a long-press short pass, but I'm completely used to it by now. As you put it, you have to be more patient and careful with your build-up. The less skilled your player is, the more mistakes he'll commit in this particular area; but use a Zidane and you can sit back, relax and enjoy the show most of the time.

That match must've been wonderful. I want to start a ML on PES2 but I'm out of ideas, so in the meanwhile I'm just exploring the teams, getting to know rosters and players on more Pseudo-CL challenges.

Out of curiosity, have you tried playing or do you play on 16:9? Tried it today and think I love the game even more! Used to think it sped the game up too much (an optical illusion, of course - it takes the ball the same amount of time to get from A to B but A to B are further apart, visually) but not so sure now. Scored my first free-kick since my rediscovery of the game - an absolute peach which got the fist pumping and, subsequently, the cat scared. I'm starting to rack up big wins so perhaps a change of difficultly level is around the corner.

@*aLe Coolsingel is the square in Rotterdam where Feyenoord celebrate titles. It's very funny they chose the name Noordzeekanaal because as the name might give away it is a canal that links the North Sea with a lake. The funny thing is that the Noordzeekanaal is not close to Rotterdam but it actually crosses through Amsterdam.

Thanks mate.
I'm currently undecided between renaming PES3's Feyenoord into Coolsingel or into Noordzekanaal now.

@miguelfcp I typically play the same tactics of the teams from that era. Right now I'm using a World Cup 2006 patch, and most teams are 4-4-2 or, fewer, 4-3-3. Since I'm up against mostly 4-4-2, it's 1v1 for each CB. Like you mentioned, this game is from a previous timeline in the game and the tactics are different, so being 1v1 at the back seems a bit risky nowadays.

Sometimes I'll mark a key forward with the matching CB, or a winger with my FB. But I'm not sure if I should go 100% zonal or 100% man. 100% zonal leads to my defenders moving left-right-forward, and not staying together with their CB partners. 100% man would lead to worse problems, you would think.

One option is maybe moving my DM back into the CB area, just ahead of the two, and play more as an anchor man.

@Flipper the Priest: I tried it for the first time last night and...did this somehow unlock an even harder difficulty? :D Two matches controlling Navarra's Galacticos, two harsh losses against Liguria and Yorkshire, two very accessible teams in theory. I normally play on the first Broadcast cam, but on 16:9 the Wide one seems to be the perfect one for me. The game sure does look much faster, which makes it even more exciting. I'll try 16:9 again tonight, it looked very promising.

@*aLe: Why not renaming De Kuip as, say Coolsingel Stadion and the team itself as Noordzeekanaal? Or vice-versa.

@breezy: Hmmm...what about your SB's defensive and attacking arrows? Could have something to do with it. Perhaps also the lack of Teamwork ability on the SBs/CBs lead to lack of communication between them, hence more defensive mistakes happening.

Anyway, this is more of a idiosyncrasy of mine, but when I play a back-4 I always like to have one defensive-minded SB (if possible, a natural CB) to complement another more attacking SB on the other side. For me it's too reckless to have only two CBs, unless as you say one employs a defensive-minded DMF so that he can be almost a 3rd CB "in disguise"; especially on games like PES5 where the SBs are prone to commit many defensive positional mistakes down the wing. Not too long ago I played an International Cup on that game with Finland using 4 CBs on the back-4, I was living the dream :LOL:.

@Flipper the Priest: I tried it for the first time last night and...did this somehow unlock an even harder difficulty? :D Two matches controlling Navarra's Galacticos, two harsh losses against Liguria and Yorkshire, two very accessible teams in theory. I normally play on the first Broadcast cam, but on 16:9 the Wide one seems to be the perfect one for me. The game sure does look much faster, which makes it even more exciting. I'll try 16:9 again tonight, it looked very promising.

It's Wide for me too. Angle of 9. I just love how much of the pitch you can see. And that height! And it's fixed! I repeat my bugbear of camera angles in the newer games. In PES they're all too shallow, in FIFA you get better options but it moves position depending on the stadium. Why?!

@breezy: Hmmm...what about your SB's defensive and attacking arrows? Could have something to do with it. Perhaps also the lack of Teamwork ability on the SBs/CBs lead to lack of communication between them, hence more defensive mistakes happening.

Anyway, this is more of a idiosyncrasy of mine, but when I play a back-4 I always like to have one defensive-minded SB (if possible, a natural CB) to complement another more attacking SB on the other side. For me it's too reckless to have only two CBs, unless as you say one employs a defensive-minded DMF so that he can be almost a 3rd CB "in disguise"; especially on games like PES5 where the SBs are prone to commit many defensive positional mistakes down the wing. Not too long ago I played an International Cup on that game with Finland using 4 CBs on the back-4, I was living the dream :LOL:.

Yeah, I try to make my FBs not too attacking and always at least keep them on a high defense setting. Do you play your defensive-minded FB as a CB in the role setting or keep it as LB/RB?

Four CBs...you sound like Belgium at recent World Cups :P

back then the choice was playing PES or why the hell are you not playing PES.

oh god this reminds me 🐑

secondary school, we were about 13-14 yo, 2006 or so. Bunch of madlads just sits there and talk about newly torrented PES 6 and omg its so good everyone was hooked who cares about licenses.

That one guy, that one dumbshite no one liked waltzes in and saying "hey guys i got fifa 06 its so good there are so many leagues and theres even polish league the game is amazing!!!!"

Cue instant, violent, 0-100 rejection, literally a bunch of teenagers screaming get the fuck out of here at the poor lad.

Never heard about fifa at school again.

That was indeed what it was. There was no choice. PES 3 not many knew - I played only a bit, PES 4 same, but when PES 5 came along it spread like a wildfire, right away. The difference was so enormous that even bunch of lazy teens would rather learn how to install patches (via DkZ Studio mind you, it was 15 years ago) and download them for days on 512kb internet than play out of the box, plug and play fifa, even with our home league included (half-licensed btw).

Just a story that I remember very vividly. We tried to stick with the series but 2008 was just not that and even we realized it. All those years later, look where we still are 🐑 retro PES thread!

Magic of PS2 PES is insane. It makes sheep go bebe 🐑 like mad. No matter how arcadey and simplistic it might be, it's just a goddamn amazing game.

Just wanted to share 🐑 a childhood story :D

@miguelfcp and @breezy i was getting a bit frustrated conceding from through balls and dribbles. I had been flirting between Offside Setting A & B and Defensive Line Setting A & B but i was still struggling. In my last few games i have changed to Setting C for both and it has helped a great deal. I also play with 2 CB’s 2 SB’s and 2 DMF’s. It works on PES2008 but not sure about earlier ones.

@miguelfcp and @breezy i was getting a bit frustrated conceding from through balls and dribbles. I had been flirting between Offside Setting A & B and Defensive Line Setting A & B but i was still struggling. In my last few games i have changed to Setting C for both and it has helped a great deal. I also play with 2 CB’s 2 SB’s and 2 DMF’s. It works on PES2008 but not sure about earlier ones.

Thanks, I'll have to try that setting.

Edit: also, @Saint Angelo imagine being in the US and saying your favorite game was "Winning Eleven" :))

oh god this reminds me 🐑

secondary school, we were about 13-14 yo, 2006 or so. Bunch of madlads just sits there and talk about newly torrented PES 6 and omg its so good everyone was hooked who cares about licenses.

That one guy, that one dumbshite no one liked waltzes in and saying "hey guys i got fifa 06 its so good there are so many leagues and theres even polish league the game is amazing!!!!"

Cue instant, violent, 0-100 rejection, literally a bunch of teenagers screaming get the fuck out of here at the poor lad.

Never heard about fifa at school again.

That was indeed what it was. There was no choice. PES 3 not many knew - I played only a bit, PES 4 same, but when PES 5 came along it spread like a wildfire, right away. The difference was so enormous that even bunch of lazy teens would rather learn how to install patches (via DkZ Studio mind you, it was 15 years ago) and download them for days on 512kb internet than play out of the box, plug and play fifa, even with our home league included (half-licensed btw).

Just a story that I remember very vividly. We tried to stick with the series but 2008 was just not that and even we realized it. All those years later, look where we still are 🐑 retro PES thread!

Magic of PS2 PES is insane. It makes sheep go bebe 🐑 like mad. No matter how arcadey and simplistic it might be, it's just a goddamn amazing game.

Just wanted to share 🐑 a childhood story :D

I remember one of if not the first day of university. Classmate was reading a magazine/newspaper and poring over an article about PES. I said something like, "are you a PES man then?" and about 20 ears pricked up around the room. Arranged a couple of charity tournaments during our time: scenes.

@*aLe Like I told anyone I was playing a soccer/football video game back then. This was my private addiction haha.

@geeeeee Did a test match with C/C and the 2 DMs. That seemed to work well (didn't concede, didn't get dribbled on too much down the middle)

@geeeeee Did a test match with C/C and the 2 DMs. That seemed to work well (didn't concede, didn't get dribbled on too much down the middle)

It is working well for me so far, although in PES2008 the CPU has Team Vision or something like that and begins changing the way it plays. :)

Back onto my ML, we played Huddersfield at home in the EFL Cup Quarter Final 1st Leg and lost 0-1 to a Mounie goal. For some reason my ADverMedia record crashed so it didn't record the match :(

So up next is Huddersfield again but in the league this time on Matchday 5.

Canvey 1 v Huddersfield 0, sweet revenge I think. :) Although Huddersfield missed some excellent chances. They should have won. Up to 4th now and the leaders Cardiff are next.

Cardiff 0 v Canvey 2, yes what a win. This is the first time that I used Back Line C and Offside C (mentioned earlier) and it made a big difference to the way the team defended. You cannot really see it in the highlights but we were under quite a bit of pressure at 0-1 but the defence stood firm with Camavinga really settling in well. The first goal was a great combination between Guti and Ordaz with Ordaz sliding a shot in the near post. And the Guti goal with 5 minutes remaining was so needed and he hammered it in, great finish after great work by Giersen and then Huylens. We are now 2nd place, 2 points behind Wolves. Next up is the 2nd leg in the cup away to Huddersfield. :)

Man I think I've found my ideal classic-patch or something. New World League Soccer for Pes 6. My knowledge about Pes 6 patches isn't great so if there is something better than this on the same theme I'd like to know, cause this simply looks incredible. It has most of (if not all) the best teams from mid 90ies to the first 00's, both clubs and nationals. Stadiums, kits, rosters.. aside from some forgivable imperfection here and there, an awesome and super accurate job. Nostalgia levels went offscale just after the first match.

Only problem.. I'm not exactly a great fan of Pes 6, especially with vanilla stats. So, inspired mostly by @Tinker 's OF for the World Cup 98 patch, I've made some tweaks: for now I globally culled acceleration and agility and the game already plays much much better, but I'd love to do even more changes, respecting individuality as much as I can. Wish I knew a bit more about this game tho.

Thought i'd try asking in here as well as i've posted in the 2013 thread but it seems a bit quiet there.

Regarding PES 2013 PC - Does anybody who uses the gameplay tool have a maxed out LOD, Could share their gameplaytool.ini file please?

I can't amend mine as the values haven't been inputted yet so i don't know what the format in the ini file is until i see one that someone has amended. I'm trying to change the resolution with the tool too.

Wow, my PES 6 season 2020/2021 is going well and I am playing better than I would have expected after that long time (I just found that savegame from 10+ years ago) ;)

Anyhow... I am also experiencing some disappointment with my roster. Those "international average players" developed too good the last 10 or so years, so they are very skilled - but with my retro view from today there are too many guys that I perhaps would let go for some space in the squad.

So I am now in the position to sell some players, that have been all their career at my club (all players have been assigned as reincarnated youth players) to get some space in the squad again.

But it is still very hard to sell some guys that won't play that much, but saved me some important games in the past...

...well, maybe I will try replacing some of those players with some freshmen to get a first experience, if I am ready for a hard cut...

Phew, hard job... ;)

Next 2 games in my ML.

First up is the 2nd Leg QF away to Huddersfield who are 1-0 up from the 1st Leg.

Huddersfield 0 v Canvey 2, yes we finally managed to get through to the semis, it was pretty tough though. When Guti had the shot that spun up and in off of Pedraza for an own goal it seemed to take an age and the home crowd were silenced as we were back level and now with the opportunity of knowing that another away goal would mean they would need two. With 15mins left I took Ordaz off because he was shattered and brought Castolo on, a moment that made me realise that our squad is actually quite strong especially up front. A real overstatement here but It was a kind of a 'Battle at the Bridge' moment when Hazard came on for Chelsea and I knew Spurs were doomed from that moment. It was as if Huddersfield's fans heart's had sunk, especially when he scored an excellent solo effort a couple of minutes later. Yes we are through. :) Against holders Fulham in the semis.

Next up it's...

7. Canvey v Sheff United with our confidence high what could possibly go wrong?

Canvey 1 v Sheff United 2, so gutted that we lost this match as we were 2nd and hopeful of a win going into the mid season break. Berge scored an excellent solo effort evading 4 or 5 challenges which highlighted our defensive faults. When Hamsun scored straight after I thought we would go on to win but I was so wrong. I think I made the mistake at half time of swapping Guti from AM with Hamsun at CF. A 37 year old Leon Clark got the winner with a good header. There were number of free kicks, with Huylens getting injured (again) and also Camavinga. Stremer was then sent off for retaliation when hacked down Clark in the last few minutes. Thankfully both players will recover for the next match because of the break. Down to 3rd but a great hard fought game that was.

Completely off-topic, sorry, but I think it's probably the most relevant thread on here.

Does anyone else miss old football game intros? The PES intros were classics, of course (the We Will Rock You intro sticks out for me, truly hairs-standing-on-end stuff).

But I've just put Actua Soccer 3 on and been greeted by this:

Everything about it... The black-and-white footage. The video of what is now "Classic Man Utd". The love of the game oozes out of it.

It felt like those devs loved their work.

Completely off-topic, sorry, but I think it's probably the most relevant thread on here.

Does anyone else miss old football game intros? The PES intros were classics, of course (the We Will Rock You intro sticks out for me, truly hairs-standing-on-end stuff).

Everything about it... The black-and-white footage. The video of what is now "Classic Man Utd". The love of the game oozes out of it.

I feel like video games nowadays are made more with monetary gain in mind than actual passion or quality of the game that the dev themselves would want to play. Back then it use to be more with actual passion or the quality of gameplay and the dev actually would play their games a lot.

Is it a matter of luck , that the last two years, we do not have even a single intro video in both games!!! The last games i remember having an engaging intro video, were FIFA16 and PES2018.

Back
Top Bottom