The Retro-PES Corner

Well, that was a different thing though. A robbery perhaps, but not as bad as getting smashed in a final (like it happened in 2012) or being ahead in the stoppage time (when did we concede? Like at 90' +3 or something) and then concede the golden goal (no less!) during the extra time.
Some people call it the "sudden death" and it definitely felt like one, when France scored it against us.

I've completely removed 2012 from my mind lol. I can't even think about it as an Euro, more like the vague memory of a friendly tournament. Maybe cause Spain was so much better than us in the final.

98, 2000 and 2002 felt much worse to me. We had so many peak legends back then, but a mixture of bad coaching (just in 98 and 2002 cause I think in 00 Zoff was perfect), bad luck and bad refereeing left us empy handed. Even if I still think for the quality we had in 2002 we should have passed Korea all the same tbh.
Surely 94 should be in as well but I was only 9 years old and pretty uninterested in football, so while in the aftermath I spent some tear as well (more for my family being sad around me than else) I can't feel that WC as "mine".

@mattmid: That was brilliant, "Breadcan" cracked me up. You have a talent right there!
By the way @*aLe, Feyenoord in PES2 is Noordzekanaal.

@Madmac79: Congratulations Mad, and that pic of Burgos lifting the title is old-school football: a keeper wearing a hat (modern keepers prefer being blinded by the shining sun instead of potentially ruining their perfect hair), an old-school stadium, old-school kits with no sponsors and even old-school medals!

@*aLe: No problem man. Yep, PES5/PES6 editing comes handier; there are more editing tools around and PES3 has a strange particularity if I recall it properly: regardless of where you move the database's players - using the game's edit mode or outside editors - they'll always appear on the teams they play for on the default database.

About the tools, perhaps the Wolf Pack has that EXE editor you speak of? https://www.moddb.com/downloads/the-wolf-tools-utility-pack

Oh and like Matt said, you can use anything you want from Amador. I'm very interested on your project, sounds very cool! What will you be doing regarding players stats?

By the way @*aLe, Feyenoord in PES2 is Noordzekanaal.
Thanks for pointing it out, I don't know where I got Coolsingel from then. 😄

Yep, PES5/PES6 editing comes handier; there are more editing tools around and PES3 has a strange particularity if I recall it properly: regardless of where you move the database's players - using the game's edit mode or outside editors - they'll always appear on the teams they play for on the default database.
Exactly. Which would mean editing appearances a nightmare (unless I update all of them before moving players).
This would require many matches to be played though (as, guess what, edit mode is locked in PES 3 and must be unlocked with PES points... And I'm honestly ignoring if there's a tool which would allow me to cheat and add unlimited PES points to my OF just to unlock features).
By the way, is it me or the "Edit ML structure" option isn't there (not even unlockable) in PES 3? 5 and 6 definitely used to have it (it needed to be unlocked but it was there) but I can't remember seeing it in PES 3.

And yes, I downloaded the Wolf's tool collection (thanks for that) and I found that the WE 8 Set Default Color tool could load the PES3 exe, but didn't manage to get it loaded.
It says something about the size not being the correct one (the exe is the original one from the DVD, dunno what's happening there).
As a last-ditch effort I could still create "fake" kits that follow the real ones' scheme (red and black, round collar Milan home and white, "lapel" Milan away and so on) and no-one would ever notice. 😄

Still undecided on which game I should choose...
To be honest, PES 3's AI is currently playing me out of the park each match, while PES 5 (though still difficult to break down) is more forgiving when things move in my box. And most of the match is played near my box at the moment.

Not worrying much about the stats at the moment, but I'm kinda intrigued by transfers and a couple of nationality changes... I mean, if you start playing a ML with 100% unknown players, you shouldn't be allowed to know that there's a Gerrard clone playing for Merseyside Red which is the best midfielder around.
So I thought: what if the best midfielder in the game happened to be Australian and to play for North East London? What if the best strikers were a Swiss guy with some Eastern accent and a Belgian left-footed sniper?

I haven't started anything yet (as I said I haven't even chosen the game to base this, probably bound to never-be-finished, little project) so everything's still up for review here.

Thanks for the support though!

Surely 94 should be in as well but I was only 9 years old and pretty uninterested in football, so while in the aftermath I spent some tear as well (more for my family being sad around me than else) I can't feel that WC as "mine".
I was 9 too at that time, but already into football: my father trained me to be a Milanista since I was a toddler (and I still wonder how the heck I ended up being a Milanista for real, as the first match I ever remember has been our defeat to Marseille in the 1993 CL final) so I was already into football. Maybe not enough to know the offside rule and such, but certainly enough to root for Italy.
I still remember everyone in our block of flats having a barbecue all together for lunch and then being like 20+ people watching the match in the evening under the porch on a CRT TV that one of my neighbours brought out for the occasion.

On the licences - I'd love to do a deeper dive but I'd imagine it'd be quite complex. The Dutch FA seem to be pretty difficult. PES2's Oranges saga, and fake players in the national team in FIFA (certainly when I moved to FIFA circa 2009) and Football Manager (about 15 years ago, maybe still). There's FIFA 2000 where everyone apart from Ronaldo and Djorkaeff is correct and complete. How much power does the individual have, then and now? The teams? Leagues? National associations? Who owns what?

This would require many matches to be played though (as, guess what, edit mode is locked in PES 3 and must be unlocked with PES points... And I'm honestly ignoring if there's a tool which would allow me to cheat and add unlimited PES points to my OF just to unlock features).
By the way, is it me or the "Edit ML structure" option isn't there (not even unlockable) in PES 3? 5 and 6 definitely used to have it (it needed to be unlocked but it was there) but I can't remember seeing it in PES 3.

I don't quite follow whether you mean you can't find a way or don't want to but - if it's the former - you can unlock PES Shop items and adjust the number of points you have in EditPES3OptionFile. Quite certain you can't edit the structure in PES3; it has its own predetermined regions in which you compete.

I wish PES3 had an editor in the mould of Compulsion. Would've made my option file so much easier to create and edit, now I've realised what I've done wrong and would've done differently!

you can unlock PES Shop items and adjust the number of points you have in EditPES3OptionFile.
It was the former so... Thanks for pointing it out! :)
Honestly it's been years since I last edited PES 3, so I really need to get used again to everything if I decided to use PES 3 for this thing.

So a new season is under way and after our two new signings we are about 7,000 points in debt or something which is equivalent in my imagination to about £7,000,000. This basically means we need to get some wins fast and rack up some points both in the bank and in the league.

First up we are away to Aston Villa and for some reason they have a less than sharp (graphics wise) emblem which is something that I believe happens when editing kits In game. If you watch the highlights look out for our GK going for a walkabout at about the 71st to 73rd minute mark. If you look on the radar he looks like he has walked over to the fans to sign a t-shirt. Elmohamady tries to take advantage but thankfully Selikhov gets back in time. :LOL: I bet Ivarov called him over.

Aston Villa 0 Canvey Eagles 0, not a bad start to the season. The defence looks better and I was really impressed with Camavinga. He was breaking up play quite a lot.

Next up we are at home to relegated Brighton.

Canvey Eagles 2 Brighton 2, another point but we really had to work for it because Brighton were far better than us If I’m honest. We are lacking so much confidence going forward at the moment. Maybe it‘s because I have been swapping and changing the team quite a bit. I am trying to get the best out of Guti but not sure if he is better as an AM, a WG, or a CF.

Here is the table after 2 matches...

1591222264482.jpeg

What I find interesting is the fact that Camavinga has a far better Team Work stat compared to Stein but notice what difference it makes to the team’s Team Work as a whole.

With Camavinga...

1591222444506.jpeg

With Stein...

1591222483158.jpeg

So it obviously takes time for new boys to settle in. Great addition to this excellent game.

Then, I was already on the verge of rushing out from home with the Italian flag in 2000 to celebrate a historical Euro win... And you know what happened.
2006 didn't satisfy me, not even a bit.
And then came 2012. 😓
Why didn't 2006 satisfy you? Is it because it wasn't very dramatic & just anti climatic?

I think part of the satisfaction of winning a trophy comes with the excitement along the way. Istanbul 2005 is the greatest football memory of my life as a Liverpool supporter because we ad no business being successful that season with the squad we had. Mediocre, Ageing players which revolved around a small cluster of very talented ones such as Gerrard, Alonso, Garcia & Carragher but they couldn't carry the team on their back alone. Literally flopping though the league and domestic cups but for some reason was different animal on European nights.

That competition had it's fair share of dramatic games along the way for us, The comeback against Olimpiakos to get us out of the group, The unexpected thrashing of Leverkusen, The 2 wonder goals against Juventus in the Quarters, The nail biting semi against Chelsea complimented by the phantom goal and of course a final that needed no introduction.

I can kind of relate as, Proud as i was of winning silverware last year in Madrid, I was very confident we would do against a Spurs side who would inevitably bottle it but also the game itself was very underwhelming and boring. But i guess i shouldn't complain really. Last May really was a different world, Literally.

On the licences - I'd love to do a deeper dive but I'd imagine it'd be quite complex. The Dutch FA seem to be pretty difficult.
That's a very good point. For a very long time, The Netherlands were under represented in almost all football games, not just PES & FIFA. I always found it strange because like @mattmid mentioned, It would be great publicity for the respective football associations to be featured in a game as well a stream of revenue, I don't know the legal logistics, Maybe the football associations or clubs ask for too much money, Maybe it's the discretion of demand from consumers for certain teams to be featured prominently.

But for the consumer, The licensing is frustrating, As we've learned in recent years it's become a bit of a pissing contest notably with Barcelona and the Nou Camp being pulled in a tug of war between PES & FIFA and most recently, Juventus quite embarrassingly being stripped from FIFA.

I used to fantasy co-ordinate the game design of these games in regards to a stadium not being in one game, I thought "surely it'll appear in the other game!" Drove me mad how for years, Stade De France or any of the Portuguese stadiums were no where to be seen in either game.

Istanbul 2005 is the greatest football memory of my life as a Liverpool supporter
I hate you, be aware of it. 🤬

Joking, of course. I also remember that night very well unfortunately as I lived it as a Milanista. 😰

One of the best teams we've ever had ended up with absolutely nothing that season.
We started the league as defending champions and ended up throwing it all away at home against Juventus (1-0 loss, I was there) when we were perfectly paired at the top at the start of the match.
I still remember all the stadium singing "Now all the stadium will sing a song for you: Milan, you've to win this one, Milan, you've to win this one" (because with a win we would be most likely crowned champions once again) before Juve's goal, and then changing the chant in "Now all the stadium will sing a song for you: Milan, win in Istanbul, Milan, win in Istanbul" after conceding.
(Hint: it didn't work.)

We started the Chanpions League as one of the teams that would most-likely end to be the winners, and ended up throwing it away with 10 minutes of madness in the 2nd half of the final.
(And Sheva's goal was onside!)

Aaaaaand we conceded 4 against Udinese to end our Coppa Italia run way before it should've ended.

The way that season ended left a huge scar inside my heart, and it has not completely healed after 15 years.
This is football, though, after all.

Why didn't 2006 satisfy you? Is it because it wasn't very dramatic & just anti climatic?
Sorry I missed this one.
It's not like that, it's because it happened in a very particular period for Italian football (the 'Calciopoli' scandal) and I really couldn't enjoy football in that period. It all smelled of rotten to me.
Winning one against France is always a good feeling (no offence intended ny French friends, I know it's the same for you) but it was the whole situation that didn't allow me to get involved as I wanted.

And I agree it's a different world now compared of what it was a year ago in this period.
In this period, after seeing what I saw here, I couldn't care less about football.

Last edited:
The way that season ended left a huge scar inside my heart, and it has not completely healed after 15 years.

Absolutely. Leicester scored a play-off semi final winner against us that was clearly offside. Our keeper was out beyond their player who tapped it in from a yard or two out with one of our defenders on the line. This after we had finished third with 88 points(!) missing out on promotion to the Premier League on goal difference and to rub it in we had finished 12 points ahead of Leicester. As a result of that we lost most of our best players and spent the next 10 seasons mostly battling relegation. This was in 1993 and no I won't let it go :LOL:

What I find interesting is the fact that Camavinga has a far better Team Work stat compared to Stein but notice what difference it makes to the team’s Team Work as a whole.

With Camavinga...

View attachment 45343

With Stein...

View attachment 45344

So it obviously takes time for new boys to settle in. Great addition to this excellent game.

Do their individual Team Work stats increase or decrease the more they play? I noticed that in my PES2 ML it does. Maybe about two points up or down whether the do or do not play.

On the wider football world, little did I think in 1998 that it'd be at least another 23 years until Scotland reached a major tournament. And Aberdeen won more trophies in the five years before my birth (including three league titles and two European trophies) than they have in the 34 years since (only old enough to remember two of them, both league cups, 19 years apart). Limited sympathy with you Champions League and World Cup winners! :LOL:

Last edited:

Kind of similar, I don't know how I would have coped if Liverpool lost the Champions League final last season, after getting 97 points in the league and still not winning the bloody thing. :D

Don't know how I would have coped if this Premier League season got voided either...!

Absolutely. Leicester scored a play-off semi final winner against us that was clearly offside. Our keeper was out beyond their player who tapped it in from a yard or two out with one of our defenders on the line. This after we had finished third with 88 points(!) missing out on promotion to the Premier League on goal difference and to rub it in we had finished 12 points ahead of Leicester. As a result of that we lost most of our best players and spent the next 10 seasons mostly battling relegation. This was in 1993 and no I won't let it go :LOL:
Portsmouth, I guess.
Well, this is another "face" of football: it could have looked like a big deal back then, but unfortunately that was nothing compared with what you had to suffer in the last 10 years.
And, despite to a lesser extent, the same has happened to Milan: coming up empty-handed in 2005 looked like a disaster but hey, I would kill for a Champions league final right now, and even for Milan to be a title contender again.

Back on topic... Does anyone perhaps still have WE8 (narrow back) and WE9 (wide back) kit templates in default size (512x256)?
They'd be much much appreciated.
😊

Nevermind, I extracted some kits using the PES 3 "classic/tight" one and the PES 4 "plain" one from the AFS files and I managed to cut and paste blank templates from them, plus I got the PES 5 from the Internet in two flavours (with and without collar). Here they are should anyone need them.
dfksgMq.png

7Xr7OiZ.png

LeDHGro.png

CKwMuCz.png

2A9aB0G.png

jrNVqkx.png

Last edited:
Do their individual Team Work stats increase or decrease the more they play? I noticed that in my PES2 ML it does. Maybe about two points up or down whether the do or do not play.

Yes they do increase, not sure if they decrease though like the the other stats. Also you can increase them in training mid season.

What is so good is that, even if they have high TW stat, if they are new players the overall TW stat in conjunction with the other players will be low as shown in the pictures in my previous post.

I just played two games today but picked the team looking at the overall TW stat between players and the team played so much better, better movement etc... But it also means that at the moment I am leaving out my new defender, Cooper. But I will ease him in gently so that his TW improves with the other players. This has added a completely new dimension to this excellent game. I know that it is the same with other retro PES’ too. Please look into it as it is an excellent feature. It is how the Team Spirit should be in the newer games, but they messed it up.

I also stumbled across this thread...this is an excellent read for PES2008 PS2 ML lovers, but I am sure this will also be a good read for other PES lovers.

https://www.neoseeker.com/forums/36342/t1034075-default-ml-team-guide-pes2008-edition/#433

Last edited:
Well, even you won't be that interested in detail, it is some kind of "archive" to myself, to update this for the upcoming 2020/2021 season ;)

#PositionNameAgeGamesGoalsAssists
99​
GKVítor Baía31477--
19​
GKCarrasso18---
16​
GKvan der Sar27194--
1​
CBMihaijlovic28269819
6​
CBStam2832912
3​
CBP. Andersson18---
18​
CBLeboeuf18---
5​
WBvan Bronckhorst2533--
4​
WBMellberg2361-1
2​
WBMaicon18---
36​
WBBridge18---
33​
WBKromkamp18---
14​
WBMaxwell18---
8​
CMCocu2916844
32​
CMA. Svensson208--
26​
CMBosvelt301423-
23​
SMBeckham242322
7​
SMAlexandersson293441522
30​
SMZenden2413636
21​
SMWilhelmsson182--
24​
SMWright-Philips18---
9​
OMLjungberg225023
37​
OMLitmanen302994217
10​
SSBergkamp283368814
11​
WFOvermars187--
20​
CFKezman21292-
15​
CFvan Hooijdonk2854132
31​
CFAllbäck2663122
13​
CFIbrahimovic183--
52​
CFBendtner3347834130
17​
CFvan Nistelrooy2467212
The team has still too many good attackers, but not everyone I wanted to sell was able to find a new club (noone wanted Nistelrooy, Ibra or Allbäck).

This season I added some good prospects for the wings and decided to change my formation from a 4-4-2 with just one dedicated winger spot for Figo (gone), to a classic 4-1-2-1-2 (diamond formation).

In this case I have more options to play wingers and I will move Zenden forward from LWB to LMF position, so van Bronckhorst gets his first season with a spot in the starting eleven.
My best players are now well aged and I think I should get rid of some of the mid-twenty players, which do a good job but never really started to develop big, and replace them by youngsters to develop them in the near future.

So I wanted to see which of the wingers have the potential for the next generation in my PES master league (Arsenal 2025 ;-)).

Edit: Wow, just recognized that I will face Fenerbahce on first matchday.

Their (maybe) starting eleven:
Yashin - Spector, Baldé, Bilic, Reiziger - Gago, Bradley, Ono, Bernd Schuster - Deivid, Klinsmann
Best of Bench: Lugano, Karpin, Lloris

Wow, I am ready to start, PES-fever just infected me again :-)

@geeeeee That was really weird with the keeper at 71mins where on earth was he going! Did you maybe have your finger on the button to bring him out - but that doesn't seem likely as he was heading off to the left rather than out towards the direction of the ball. I think your thought about him getting some info from Ivarov was probably right. :) Oh and Keane! Had he scored all of their Euro goals!?

The teamwork stat really does add another dimension to it. In that PES5 guide we were talking about on here the other day Seabass says in it that his goal at that time was to one day get it to a point where a small team could upset a big team just because of their excellent teamwork against what might be more a team of individuals. It does seem when he was taken off PES that the direction of the game took a turn for the worse.

I've been really paying attention to it in the 01/02 option file I'm working on. As it's a past season and there' s data for it, I've been using the minutes played by the players as a base for the teamwork stat. The idea being that if you have a player who let's say started 38 out of 42 games and then you have another player who started just 6 games and came off the bench 10 times, then the first guy is going to be a much better fit in the overall framework of the team and their tactics and so should have a higher teamwork stat. This can then help represent the difficulties of player B coming in to the team and lacking that extra bit of understanding with his team mates.

So if you're playing as that team and pick your 11 for the next game and that has let's say 9 of the regular real life starters from that season then they will be more cohesive as a unit. Get two or three injuries/suspensions to key players and you're dipping into the back up players and as a result the teamwork begins to suffer. Exactly as you are saying with Cooper, you're going to have to bring him in bit by bit to avoid messing up the understanding of the team.

I'm also trying to tie it into form as well as it stands to reason that player who played 38 of the 42 games must have kept his form up to not be dropped, so he's likely to be a consistent player so by having a higher form stat he should get less down arrows over the course of the season.

I'm hoping this will also assist the AI into more often picking what would have been the most used players.

Just started the new season, but the game crashed every time I the game was switching to the stadium.

Had to deactivate kitserver for now, well let's see if this is just a Fenerbahce-problem ...

Anyhow - my team just won 2:0 but had a very disappointing game. Fener was dictating, but we were scoring :-D

@kežman If it's not the stadium it could be a player's face/hair if you have them, that can also cause a crash at that point. You can check for face/hair crash by going into edit mode and checking the players of the team - go through them and it'll hang and crash when you get to the one that's causing it. Of course if it's not the stadium and it's a face/hair then I guess it could also be one of your new signings too.

Hey guys, I came back to this thread unsatisfied with footie games in general. I have recently finished a road to glory with USA getting the world cup in PES 6 International Mode and I find both PES 6 and PES 5 really easy. So what do people play now that is more challenging and works on PC?

@Topaz: Hey man. Have you tried PES3 recently? I definitely think it's overall a better game than PES5 or PES6 and it never fails to give me a proper challenge.
If you can find a way to play some PS1/PS2 titles, you'd have a few interesting options:
- PES08 PS2. Flew under everyone's radar back then. Absolutely loved in this thread, when you play it you'll understand why.
- Later PS2 PES titles: say, a PES2011 PS2. Anything after PES08 until the last (PES14) gives you a more arcade-y experience but those games are tough.
- If you're brave enough to go for even older versions, ISS Pro Evolution is to me certainly one of the hardest ISS/PES games. 20 years later and I'm still regularly thrashed by the CPU...

Lately I've been playing a lot of PES2 and it's surprising to see it holding up pretty well; mainly because the CPU is also very competent.
Then you have the J-League games: J-League 2008 was particularly interesting to me as it seems to utilize the great gameplay of PES08 PS2 and because of the lower player stats of j-League's rosters compared to what we usually get on PES' databases, the gameplay becomes slower-paced and more chaotic, a-la-PES5.

@Topaz: Hey man. Have you tried PES3 recently? I definitely think it's overall a better game than PES5 or PES6 and it never fails to give me a proper challenge.
If you can find a way to play some PS1/PS2 titles, you'd have a few interesting options:
- PES08 PS2. Flew under everyone's radar back then. Absolutely loved in this thread, when you play it you'll understand why.
- Later PS2 PES titles: say, a PES2011 PS2. Anything after PES08 until the last (PES14) gives you a more arcade-y experience but those games are tough.
- If you're brave enough to go for even older versions, ISS Pro Evolution is to me certainly one of the hardest ISS/PES games. 20 years later and I'm still regularly thrashed by the CPU...

Lately I've been playing a lot of PES2 and it's surprising to see it holding up pretty well; mainly because the CPU is also very competent.
Then you have the J-League games: J-League 2008 was particularly interesting to me as it seems to utilize the great gameplay of PES08 PS2 and because of the lower player stats of j-League's rosters compared to what we usually get on PES' databases, the gameplay becomes slower-paced and more chaotic, a-la-PES5.

Oh wow, didn't expect such an in-depth response. I actually tried getting a PS2 emulator but always struggled a bit. I will try again and hope I can configure it properly. PES 3 is still the best game but I struggled trying to find any valid option files for it that had real team names and logos. Actually I started playing PES since PES 4 so never really tried PES 2. If I get the PS2 emulator working, I will have to try that. Thanks a lot! Seems like I really need to get the emulator configured correctly as I don't have PS2.

@mattmid yeh it was really strange. I didn’t press the button by mistake either he just took it upon himself to go for a walk about :LOL: The funny thing is I didn’t notice it until the CPU took an unexpected shot from about 35 yards.

I‘m not sure how many goals Kane scored for Spurs in europe because that is the qualifying stage and before the ‘real’ group stage those goals are not included in the CL scoring chart for that season.

That sounds like a plan regarding working out TW and Condition etc... I was going to suggest getting those stats from PSD but I guess the players that you are creating will not be in their database.

@Topaz I agree with you about PES 5, and for me especially PES 6 being too easy. I moved onto PES2008 on the PS2 which I am finding a nice challenge at the moment as I am still in Div 2 after 2 seasons in ML. I find the AI is quite dynamic and ruthless in attack. In defence it seems to work you out if you use the same attacking patterns so you have to mix it up a bit. The guys here are loving the earlier ones as @miguelfcp says, I would give them a go but after putting so much time in editing PES2008 it is hard for me to do that.

Hope you find your PES footy fix :)

Next two games in my ML. But this time I am really focussing on the Team Work of the team to see if I can get them playing more as a erm...team.

3. Fulham v Canvey

Fulham 1 v Canvey 2, this was a bit of a smash and grab on our part. I loved Hamsun's goal, as it was a great team move finished by and excellent placed shot by Hamsun. Fulham scored from an excellent breakaway from our own throw in, in their corner of the pitch. I thought they were going to go on to win but Castolo came up with the goods when I moved him into the CF position. I love the spin on the ball as the GK got a touch but could only watch the ball slowly bounce the right side of the post. I felt really satisfied with this win as I could feel the team playing better as a unit.

Next up is the excellent Wolves, how they didn't go up last season. They look so strong. A tough match.

4. Wolves v Canvey

Wolves 2 v Canvey 0, damn we had our chances in the first half. Guti was excellent but missed a golden opportunity when played through by Huylens. That miss and Huylens going off injured changed our attack and we was not as effective. Then Jota scored and excellent solo effort, although admittedly I was so frustrated as the, normally good, player switching let me down. On the replay you see, I think Libermann running completely away under my control. But I cannot take anything away from a superb goal out of nothing. I loved the way Jota suddenly changed his pace when he saw the gap. Then it was a sucker punch from Jimenez. Wolves are so strong on the ball and after that second they could have easily overrun us and got more. Disappointed with the score but still feel that the team is gradually getting stronger. Up next is two games against Huddersfield, one in the cup and one in the league.

@Topaz: You're welcome. I added a couple of videos to the first post of the thread a while ago that other users here found helpful regarding setting the emulator up. For some reason I can get "newer" games like J-League 2008 to run smoothly on PCSX2, while an older title like Football Kingdom lags a lot...which is why for me nothing beats my good-ol'-PS2.

----
A very interesting goal I scored with Di Vaio (Emilia/Parma): one of my defenders performs those beautiful clearances with :square: ; the ball almost killed a bird passing by and half an hour later it decided to descend and beat Inter's defence - the ball physics are really wonderful in PES2, wish I could've had captured the whole play though instead of just its final moments. Di Vaio correctly predicts the trajectory of the ball, as do Zanetti and keeper Toldo, who hesitated a bit but finally decided to try to intercept the ball away from his box. When the ball is finally playable, all three of them go for a header and it's Di Vaio who wins the challenge and headers it to an open goal.

PES2 is definitely naturally more archaic than the most popular retro-PES titles but that depth that was so typical of this series is still there.

@miguelfcp Have you updated your PCSX2 to the latest offical release? There's a new stable version - 1.6.0 which is the most accurate version yet. PES works almost perfectly for me now, Just the issues of LOD which i don't think you can resolve on PCSX2 unfortunately.

https://pcsx2.net/294-1-6-0-what-s-new.html

Also regarding PES 2, I completley agree. While yes it's primitive in terms of some of the more quality of life improvements we get in 4 & 5 such as advantage play or passing to further players by holding down :x: but as far as simply capturing psychology of football and it's simplicity yet diversity.. It's capability of surprising you with moments that are completely plausible, Well it's a masterpiece quite simply.

I drop into WE6 Final Evolution every now and then on Dolphin (GameCube Emulator) and it just blows my mind. You have the best looking version cosmetically but also i feel it has superior ball physics and responsiveness in it's Winning Eleven edition.

------

Finally, I have uploaded the final of EURO 2012. I had a wonderful time revisiting PES 2012 - I adored this game when it released because it felt like a truly polished revision of PES after it's mechanical revamp with PES 2011, Which while zippy and refreshing was lacking in animations and physics. As usual, All the expected PES magic remained in PES 2012 and comes out of the woodwork in it's tournaments and leagues. As we all know PES shines in it's football storytelling and as usual, There's no such thing as a easy game in international tournaments and no team is safe.

Italy literally had a 100% win record until they met England in the semi's, Who themselves had shit the bed against France thanks to a typically comical own goal in their opener.

The Dutch went from strength to strength building off of their WC final heartbreak 2 years earlier and after a thrilling 2-2 draw against Portugal in the group stage, It was difficult to pick a winner on paper in their semi final rematch. Yet nobody would've predicted the one sided slaughter which would follow.

Which led us to the remarkable final below. I'm especially proud of the tournament highlights package at the end of the video. I tried to recapture that Retro PES - Opening movie feel with it, I hope it shows.

It's the Euro 2012 Final! The last time The Netherlands were here, They lifted the trophy in 1988, And of course England's first taste of a final was in 1966. Will the Dutch World Cup runners up redeem themselves for South Africa or will England set the world in motion and bring it home?

@geeeeee Wolves truly do not belong in D2 lol. About the goal, I love when in a football game CPU slow down to suddenly burst of even orchestrate a pass, gives me the feel of them "thinking" about the next move. Even Jimenez one was absolute class. Maybe, in the return match against them, super catenaccio, man marking and counter attack :D ?

@miguelfcp beautiful one indeed. As MMB put it above, it's amazing the situations you could recreate on the field back then. Those games are surely light years technologically behind compared with a 19/20, but if you are ask me with which one I feel more I'm creating football pad in hand.. well, yeah, no need to say it here in this topic.

I drop into WE6 Final Evolution every now and then on Dolphin (GameCube Emulator) and it just blows my mind. You have the best looking version cosmetically but also i feel it has superior ball physics and responsiveness in it's Winning Eleven edition.

I have the memory of WE6FE being a quite improved version of Pes 2. It was a bit like the jump WE 8 LE did from Pes 4. Generally smoother, refined gameplay, more animations. Lately I've been doing some friendly here and there as well, it's such an enjoyable game.

Picking up PES6 after ages and really loving it. My defenders don’t really defend in a line...frequently the opponent attacks down the flanks and my fullback almost darts in the opposite direction, almost marking the CF or, worse, the AM, while I have to scramble to defend with a midfielder or CB.

Any tips for setting up or controlling a defense so they stay compact and together? I don’t use any man-marking, and I’d like to patiently defend and cut off passing lanes instead of all this emergency defending.

@geeeeee How do you apply patch/option file for PES 2008 PS2?

Edit: Omg PES 2008 in PS2 emulator runs beautifully now on my machine. Even better than PES 5 on PC. The graphics is alsobetter but man it's difficult in a good way. CPU Attacking AI is more intelligent and CPU defensive AI is more active in closing me down. Stats have more impact now and every match is like a chess match. Really hard to break down opponents. Also the dribbling is a mix of PES 3 and 4. Very unique. Not similar to PES 6 and it's more fluid too. This is a hidden gem. Will upload a video soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom