The Retro-PES Corner

Rant incoming!

So I'm trying to remove the radar from a file for a PES 6 patch, I can normally do it but for some reason this one keeps bugging out, Hence lots of back and forth between programs, trial and error and head scratching frustration...

My point is, It's another one of those mind boggling Konami decisions - Why did they remove the option to simply disable it the radar on the PS2?

Heck even up to PES 2013, You're forced to have it on in some capacity? What's even the point of a radar option if you can only simply choose between On/Translucent? What the heck? It's like asking someone if they'd either like to die or die slowly, How is that a literal choice?

Options man, Give us options. If i want to play with no radar because I'm an immersion snob, Let me. If I want to play with literally no replays after every damn foul on the modern games, let me. If I want to edit Messi's appearance and make him black with grey hair? LET ME!

Now the modern games are more restrictive for personalisation and less customisation it seems especially for editing players appearances now but the PS2 games at least gave you a lot more flexibility in curating your own experience in regards to your editing save and your HUD. Which is why it's just so confusing why we can't disable the radar in game easily like we could on PES 3, But PES 4 onwards they developed a strange fetish for making it translucent and unsightly.

The problem is, It's also freaking massive and pixelated and just doesn't look good especially compared to the higher resolution ones we get in the PS3 era. So if your playing on a large display, It's just offensive to the eyes and an attack on the senses.

Rant over!

@Saint Angelo You have very good editing skills, I enjoyed your video.

fam this is only the start!

Wait till I actually git gud at it.

Speaking of which if y'all have the time and I presume money (25 euros a month) I recommend that you give Adobe Premiere Pro a try, it's such a delight!

I have left my job recently, was so burned out and done dealing with idiots I took my savings and decided to take a few months of holiday. Always wanted to do a proper Master League (not 40 min video of uninspired blabbering and one full, uncut match) but just never had resources.

Well now I do.

Try it! It's doing wonders for me. Haven't had this much fun in years. I know money can be a barrier - Photoshop and Premiere Pro is 50€ a month - but if it ain't, man, just do it. Or maybe find cheaper alternatives??

Do it!!! 🐑

I'm sorry for double post but I found something curious in PES 3.

I want to try swapping menu background for greenscreen so I got AFS and am looking through the game. Ran into this curious folder...

Capture.JPG

PES 3 Online? what???

Imagine how hype would that be 🐑

EDIT: got it to work, the potential for this is insane as fuck!!!!!!!!!!!11

Last edited:

Fairly enjoyed this one. Not sure if it's the norm for pen shootouts in 2009 and/or beyond on the PS2, but the close ups of Rooney and Beckham as they compose themselves, the fallen losers slumped on the turf. Brings a bit of life to proceedings. Needed because I think pens (and, subsequently, shootouts) are quite vapid on the PS2 to this point.

fam i get it we a bit sentimental, we like to look back, and I strive believe me

i have 23 of those basically (22, sold iouga earlier):

cant wait to sell all these morons away, preferably to a salt mine or something 🐑

btw subscribe to babasport pls i wanna conquer pes youtube im a good sheep i baba

The PES5 Wonderkids series is almost over. This one features that which could be considered the best wonderkid in this game and the usual wonderkid-gone-sour stories - admittedly, the ones I prefer writing about...-, including the story of the fall of a couple of very promising prospects - one of them surely is one of the most shocking falls from (footballing) grace I have ever seen.
https://liberomagazine.wordpress.com/2020/12/03/the-pes5-wonderkids-part-9-shadow-strikers/

Double post incoming.

My Parma ML in PES5 is going great. I managed to win the D2 - though I had to wait until the last fixture to clinch both the promotion and the title - which means on the following season, I would be playing on a superleague comprised of the best Italian/Spanish/Portuguese sides.

A bit short on PES Points, I decided to refuse to renew the contracts of our top performers on my debut season, Fabio Simplicio and Delvecchio, both wanting +800 PES contracts (PES Points don't grow on trees, mates...) and rescinded all the horrible deals we had lying around, such as paying almost 500 PES for an unimpressive 20-year-old SB benchwarmer. This, considering also the prize money of our title win, gave us a bit of room to bring in talented, cheaper footballers. Schweinsteiger was free and I got him; former Villarreal keeper Barbosa too, another youngster, then Pazzini and Riordan, two young attackers to replace the ageing, expensive but still prolific Corradi and Delvecchio up front. The latter, Riordan, is a classic on my PES5 adventures. @Flipper the Priest is he supposed to be an amazing footballer? Because for me, he always is, for some reason, though he is not phenomenal early on. Additionally, I still had enough in the bank to bring in Francesco Coco, an overpaid italian footballer who I will try to rehabilitate, plus one of the cheapest players in this game, an Italian sideback who is good enough to be a substitute but despite his unimpressive statsheet, he should be worth more than he is. The fact he has the same name as a phenomenal drummer who used to be a member of Pearl Jam had no influence on my decision. Finally, I got another player who I believe could be more expensive than he really is, an Iranian attacker name Bogodani: an underrated combination of high speed, dribbling and heading stats.

I thought my transfer market adventure was over but I...drum roll...get an offer from the CPU (!!! @Madmac79, the Gods are going wild); Arsenal wants to trade Gilberto Silva for Marchionni. At first I laughed, but then, it kind of made sense. Gilberto is an ageing, expensive footballer; Marchionni was one of my best players and he is still young - plus, he was on a 5-year, cheaper contract. As I wasn't able to replace Fabio Simplicio on the CMF position, and despite his high salary, Gilberto was the ideal acquisition for Parma. I accepted it and gotten our first star player. After this deal, I can still spend a few hundred PES points without going bankrupt so I once again bought a young, cheap player, Portuguese striker Veine. He isn't impressive in any way, but because he has many stats over 70, I think I can utilize him as a jack-of-all-trades on my rather tight roster. Of course the "desenrascanço" master had to be Portuguese...

GK: Lupatelli, Barbosa, De Lucia
CBs: Bonera, Joy Raisun, Coda
SBs: Coco, Camara; Bettarini, Abruzzese
CMFs: Grella, Gilberto Silva, Savi, Dessena
SMFs: Bresciano, Schweinsteiger, Rosina, Rebecchi
CFs: Pazzini, Riordan, Bogodani, Sorrentino
Jack Di Tutti I Lavori: Veine

My financial backer my inspiration Xi Jinping is not happy with this transfer market; I didn't acquire a single Chinese footballer - after getting Joy Raisun previously, who is almost always a starter (because he actually plays well, not because of any other reasons...) - so now he's closed the PES Points faucet, meaning I will have to actually earn the survival of this team by winning matches on this SuperLeague. I currently have about 220 PES, the team's salary (though I reduced it in about 2000 PES) is...11000. Wish me luck. If things don't go as planned, I will have to get another Chinese footballer mid-season.

fam i get it we a bit sentimental, we like to look back, and I strive believe me

i have 23 of those basically (22, sold iouga earlier):

cant wait to sell all these morons away, preferably to a salt mine or something 🐑

btw subscribe to babasport pls i wanna conquer pes youtube im a good sheep i baba

That's a shocking miss but we need to discuss what the hell the keeper was doing as well. :LOL:

Wish me luck. If things don't go as planned, I will have to get another Chinese footballer mid-season.

If things don't go as planned you may find him as your new cell mate in a Chinese prison :BLINK:

@miguelfcp first of all- great piece as per usual. Left me with a strong urge to do a Rooney + 10 pieces of wood challenge :D .

for your ML.. damn, it's truly shocking. Not just another offer but an exchange as well, crazy. There must be something special your run triggered, or you just happen to be incredibly lucky :) . Gilberto Silva was also one of my pupils, I would have picked him blindly too :D .

p.s. what is that Jack di tutti i lavori literal translation thing, btw? Reading it as an italian sounds kinda hilarious :LOL:

i hate default team.
i hate default team.
I HATE DEFAULT TEAM OMG

Woah, pal, look - it's been a tough year for all of us but let's not get too spicy!

@miguelfcp - Derek Riordan is a complicated character. Hibs had a great generation of players come through their youth ranks - Riordan, O'Connor, Fletcher, Brown, Thomson and Whittaker. Riordan was arguably the most talented but he just didn't have the mettle and didn't grow up. Liking his home comforts (getting pissed and coked up with his pals) he rejected moves to Russia and Germany and instead ended up with Celtic. His attitude didn't improve any and he ended up back at Hibs after about 30 appearances in two years. Did well enough back at Hibs (behaved himself a little better, being banned from EVERY nightclub in Edinburgh for 10 YEARS helped) but his ship had sailed and the promise was wasted. Jobbed around the UK for the rest of his career, following a very brief stint in China.

O'Connor had even bigger demons (went to Russia but came back and hit it hard, worth a Google) and also wasted his talent. Thomson, who was the most complete player of the six, retired early through injury. Brown, Fletcher and Whittaker - the youngest three and possibly the least gifted - motor on at Celtic, Stoke and Dunfermline.

That's a shocking miss but we need to discuss what the hell the keeper was doing as well. :LOL:

Fam this video is a secret footage from Default Team try-outs for PES 7. They are all doing exactly what they're good at.

Ruining my life.

GK: Lupatelli, Barbosa, De Lucia
CBs: Bonera, Joy Raisun, Coda
SBs: Coco, Camara; Bettarini, Abruzzese
CMFs: Grella, Gilberto Silva, Savi, Dessena
SMFs: Bresciano, Schweinsteiger, Rosina, Rebecchi
CFs: Pazzini, Riordan, Bogodani, Sorrentino
Jack Di Tutti I Lavori: Veine

aaaaaaaaaaaa Mark Bresciano aaaa had him in my PES 5 Lazio what a solid lad! good memories!!
In my eyes what u need right now the most is your token early 2000s Serie A Japanese player. Like H. Nakata (maybe his brother Koji????) or Atsushi Yanagisawa (the weirdest CF ever, 1 goal 40 assists per season).
If u still need a playmaker, may I recommend Yasuhito Endou, Gamba Osaka's #1 legend. Last time I checked he's still playing there, aged 56 or something.
https://www.pesmaster.com/endo/pes-5/player/1240/

To honour Adrian Mutu the Coke Master's legacy a non-crackhead Romanian could do wonders. Check this guy. This. Fucken. Guy. A staple of any ML team between PES 6 and PES 2009.
https://www.pesmaster.com/mitea/pes-5/player/479/

Even then, fam, this is a good team. Pazzini will be the new Vieri. Bresciano - new Pirlo. Send Joy Raisun to the gym he be the Chinese Vidić. I love how you can put together amazing teams out of completely random players. Master League is the best game mode ever.

Future is bright for Parma it seems!

QUICK EDIT:

Woah, pal, look - it's been a tough year for all of us but let's not get too spicy!

Fam next time I see Vornarder on the street Im bashing this mf skull in.

And PES 3 Default Team is still constellation of stars compared to PES 5/6 rendition.

I started this thread - https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-3-modding-centre.85087/ - for all PES 3 enthusiasts! Please share ur knowledge and lets push this gem to new heights!!! 🐑

I love how I learn about players from the past reading this thread. Never knew anything about Yanagisawa, now I want to play with Japan to use this weirdo.

The PES5 Wonderkids series is almost over. This one features that which could be considered the best wonderkid in this game and the usual wonderkid-gone-sour stories - admittedly, the ones I prefer writing about...-, including the story of the fall of a couple of very promising prospects - one of them surely is one of the most shocking falls from (footballing) grace I have ever seen.
https://liberomagazine.wordpress.com/2020/12/03/the-pes5-wonderkids-part-9-shadow-strikers/

OH, oh, oh. Mitea, Mitea, Mitea.
The poor man's Messi—Aimar—Vicente all combined himself!!

Did not know he played for Ionikos. Fun fact: there was a rumor, between 2001-2008, that Ionikos club owner, who inherited the club by his father, was making incoming transfers based on Stas of possible wonderkids on Football Manager and CM.
This was very strange for the press, but "amazing" if you consider that even today in 2020, current day club owners do not know how to switch on a PC.

Last edited:
O'Connor had even bigger demons (went to Russia but came back and hit it hard, worth a Google) and also wasted his talent. Thomson, who was the most complete player of the six, retired early through injury. Brown, Fletcher and Whittaker - the youngest three and possibly the least gifted - motor on at Celtic, Stoke and Dunfermline.

Some of the stories of footballers are incredible I remember finding out about this one when I was doing my 79/80 English Div 1 OF. Tragic story all brought about by a really bad knee injury that perhaps today would have been one that he may have got back to playing football from. Unfortunately back then there was no chance and he was told he could never play again which led to an awful downward spiral.

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/5027

@Madmac79: Now that challenge should go straight to our Master League scenario vault! Yep, I was totally shocked to witness that offer, especially after we had mocked the game's transfer system...I think we need to make fun of it again so that I get another!
Apparently "jack-of-all-trades" can be translated to "tuttofare"...? I don't know, but Jack Di Tutti I Lavori sounds much more fun - I don't know if that makes any sense in Italian, though...But anyway it doesn't beat the Portuguese "translation": Homem Dos Sete Ofícios, literally meaning The Man of The Seven Trades :DD

@Flipper the Priest: Very interesting, thanks for that. I didn't even google Riordan because I just had a feeling his amazing PES5 performances on my experiences were not replicated in real life.
I had the opportunity to bring in another CB during this transfer market, Kennedy, but didn't think we'd need a fourth one as Bettarini and Coco could play there if needed. Another Scot, young, full of potential...but apparently, he retired at 26 following a serious injury. What a shame, that generation of players was very, very interesting. Now that I know his story, I'll probably make an effort to recruit him and give him the career he never had. Tempted to get De La Red too for the same reasons...

@Saint Angelo: That is actually an interesting idea, hadn't thought of it. Endo is probably much cheaper than Grella and very similar to him. What I do need is a side-midfielder/winger. Before Gilberto Silva's arrival I had planned to use him as a CMF - and Marchionni was the RMF - so now, with Gilberto in the middle and Marchionni gone, I have him at RMF and it's not working out. Bogodani the Iranian Ronaldo often plays there but he's a striker. I don't think I'll have much money to invest this season so I'll have to get someone from the free agent pool...or, I'll trade Schweinsteiger and let a PES5 wonderkid go...

@miguelfcp yes, tuttofare is the proper one.

Jack di tutti i lavori would probably be incomprehensible to people who isn't familiar with the original expression, however I agree that it sounds hilariously cool :D

@Flipper the Priest: Very interesting, thanks for that. I didn't even google Riordan because I just had a feeling his amazing PES5 performances on my experiences were not replicated in real life.
I had the opportunity to bring in another CB during this transfer market, Kennedy, but didn't think we'd need a fourth one as Bettarini and Coco could play there if needed. Another Scot, young, full of potential...but apparently, he retired at 26 following a serious injury. What a shame, that generation of players was very, very interesting. Now that I know his story, I'll probably make an effort to recruit him and give him the career he never had. Tempted to get De La Red too for the same reasons...

Kennedy was a very good centre back. Not spectacular but certainly could've performed at a higher level. Injured by a pussy's tackle by Ganea on his international debut and he didn't fully recover. I regret that Steven Pressley was too busy looking at the linesman to see the tackle and kick Ganea's ass. :LOL:

Some of the stories of footballers are incredible I remember finding out about this one when I was doing my 79/80 English Div 1 OF. Tragic story all brought about by a really bad knee injury that perhaps today would have been one that he may have got back to playing football from. Unfortunately back then there was no chance and he was told he could never play again which led to an awful downward spiral.

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/5027

Think it could be all the more pointed back then as really ordinary blokes could become superstars out of nowhere - and vice versa. In the football thread we've spoken about how young players today can end up on the scrapheap, high and dry. I guess it's not a modern phenomenon.

Literally #showerthoughts

I know default team names are random but considering Ximelez is Spanish and his name starts with X, can we assume he's actually Basque?

Benat Ximelez? Feels so right.

This is it. This is the post. I can not stop thinking about it.

Back
Top Bottom