The Retro-PES Corner

There's no way that was a penalty for Greece against the USA, great tackle! Typical of Greece of that era, getting further in an international competition than they had any right to do! :P

I bought Pro Evo 4 for the PS2, but realising it was also available on PC I jumped at the chance to buy it for my computer; lovely big, crisp graphics, loads of space to save replays etc. and quick loading times. Unfortunately the analogue function of the control sticks didn't seem to be supported, and it was essentially eight-way direction on the PC, hugely disappointing (and without changing the software used to use my PS2 pad on the PC, PES 5 and subsequent titles didn't have this issue). A shame, because I loved the way it looked on my PC, and other than the analogue problem it played really nicely. I remember starting a ML with Sampdoria and having a lot of fun with Cristiano Doni, Bonazzoli etc.

I've been playing PES 2009 for a few weeks now. The good; aerial passes, from free kicks or open play, can be short and delicate, something which is almost impossible on PES 5 because a light tap of the circle button usually sends the ball a considerable distance. I appreciate the between game attempts at creating more atmosphere, though I'm not completely bowled over by it, it seems a bit half hearted. Something else good is t...damn, I've forgotten it.

Now, the bad...the movement of the players, even fast ones, feels a little bit slow and jerky. I cannot get used to the rhythm of the game, the pace and dynamics of the ball, and players seem to move in a rather jerky fashion when turning in their default way. I just am not having fun, even on the lower levels of difficulty when I can consistently win. I won the International Cup to unlock Classic Argentina (you need to do it with every corresponding international team to unlock all six classic sides), and that was on regular difficulty, but it was a rather boring process. I looked up online the other classic players available; a lot of them are people I've never or barely heard of, I think they were rather mediocre players of the 2000s, and though there are also a lot of the big names included in earlier PES games the way to unlock any classic player outside the six classic sides sounds tedious; you need to win all the different national leagues and cups, in essence. Not just Master League, but single seasons of Serie A etc.

The general feel of things is that it is trying to dumb down a bit- in the match preparation, there are a few places where it gives you the option of 'simple' or 'automatic' choices for things. I actually did a lot of fiddling about trying to get things how I wanted, then accidentally reset it all by accidentally selecting one of these auto options. Very annoying. I also found less information available when making certain decisions, such as what attributes about a player are visible when making certain changes to position, attacking or defenisve behaviour of individuals- in PES 5 you can cycle through all a players attributes whatever you are doing with them, but not in PES 2009. It means you have to jump out of that process and go to substitutions, for instance. Speaking of which, there is a substitution option from the menu during a match, meaning you don't have to go into formations- unfortunately it doesn't allow you to check player stamina, or the attributes or intended playing positions of the potential substitutes, so if you want to check any of this relevant info you have to go into the formation settings anyway. To me, trying to put such simple options as letting the computer make all choices (like your starting line up!) in a game that provides so much room for adjustment is a bad idea. At the least, the simple-option methods should be somehow kept out of the way of the myriad of areas that one routinely goes into when micromanaging the tactics etc. to one's preference.

I also feel like there is a bit more automation in the game- I am used to the AI deciding to hoof the ball out of the area occasionally when it comes to a defender in front of his own goal, but I am sure that 'I' scored a goal during one of my first games without touching the shoot button at any stage, which was really unsettling.

I have noticed that crosses seem a bit easier to have success with, but on the other hand rushing keepers out to deal with a through ball or one on one seems far less effective, they often miss the ball. And get beaten at the near post; far too many teams are scoring past Ivarov from very tight angles at his near post, without him even getting a glove to it. The AI attack seems quite tedious in that they always opt for a little chip of the ball to negate any blocking work you do with your defenders; this makes the one major improvement I had seen in the game, the ability to do shorter aerial passes, seem like a betrayal of the player in order to favour the AI when it ran out of ideas. Lofted ball landing neatly in front of the attacker, not bouncing very much because that's the way the ball works now, and then the keeper will be incompetent in dealing with the striker. It gets more boring for me than the preference for getting beyond the full backs and crossing it in PES 5. Speaking of crosses, the general slow feeling of the game keeps tricking me, making me think my defenders have a cross covered, when in fact they don't and I concede a strangely slow motion goal. Not just slow motion either; the timing of everything seems slightly off.

Executing free kick shots seems unnecessarily awkward. Apparently to do a slightly weak shot one needs to press a second button when the player is about to hit the ball or when the shooting gauge appears...this is one of those parts of the game where the manual seems to give slightly contradictory or incorrect info for similar processes (slightly weak and slightly strong shots presumably have mirrored actions, ie doing it when the gauge comes up, but the wording is different for each and suggests it might be a different timing for the button press). I've always been a bit frustrated that for a game with so many little things you can do with the buttons, the instructions seem to be poorly translated, meaning the necessary procedure can remain a mystery for years or even eternity. I find dribbling skills are also more awkard to perform than need be. To do a sideways dribble, you need to press LB+RB when moving but not touching the left stick.

The new default is for a slightly different free pass system, where you don't have to depress the analogue stick to execute a free pass- great, except for me the direction system didn't seem to work properly, being more like eight directions at best and not very faithful to what I was doing with the stick. I tried for a couple of games until realising I could select the traditional method in options, and was relieved to find this resolved the problem.

I've had to disable the commentary, because apart from some of it being really inane and annoying rubbish (not even in the often funny and charming way that it always has been in the series), I can't stand the tone of voice and manner of Clive or whoever it was, accompanied by Mark Lawrenson (who, on his own, I don't mind so much). They should have stuck with Peter Brackley! I also found the chants in the game borderline tortuous, with short phrases and noises being droned out in a grating manner without variety- it is one thing to chant 'Argentina', but stop saying it after a few repetitions. I felt like I was going insane. The other 'chants' were even worse, just tedious and depressing. I selected minimum crowd features in my current ML (such as flares) and it seems to have pretty much ended the awful crowd noise.

I am afraid I cannot imagine ever enjoying PES 2009; the graphics engine looks fancier, unmistakeably newer than PES 5 and 6 but, just as with my first taste of it over a decade ago, I find it far less beautiful and considerably less playable than its forebears. A watery looking game that moves strangely, players in a higher resolution than ever before but all looking rather alien and ugly. I was hoping I would experience the game through fresh, different eyes this time around, finding new things to appreciate (I certainly feel that way about my return to PES 5), but alas it was not to be.

@Meazza84: If only real-life could had been that satisfying...Portugal's PES4 team is phenomenal, isn't it? Ricardo Carvalho, Maniche, Deco, Rui Costa, Figo, Cristiano Ronaldo, Pauleta...legendary stuff.

Parma's Pazzini with a wonderful goal at Delle Alpi after beating the defender in typical PES5 style.

What the hell? This has just appeared on my Twitter feed. Is this true?

download.jpg

Actually, there was no Figo in the squad, I had to put him there myself. Maybe he is part of the team in the original game, but not in this patch.

But I'm sorry to announce that I will try to beat them in the semi-finals with Italy. :D

Some of the stories of footballers are incredible I remember finding out about this one when I was doing my 79/80 English Div 1 OF. Tragic story all brought about by a really bad knee injury that perhaps today would have been one that he may have got back to playing football from. Unfortunately back then there was no chance and he was told he could never play again which led to an awful downward spiral.

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/5027
I've just read that story, very sad and poignant. One can imagine feeling that way, the inability to let go. It's hard enough for sportsmen who've had a full career, but his was snatched away almost before it had begun.

Either Rui Costa or Figo isn't part of that PES4 squad originally...or perhaps neither is, as I remember that Figo did miss the whole 2006 World Cup qualifying stage only to return to action on the actual final tournament.

Very interesting write-up @Early PES footy fan. I've been wanting to play PES2009 for a while now, but I lost the PC version I had and am always busy on other (even more) retro titles. I do remember liking it back in the day, though at the time I was completely immersed in FIFA09 and so PES took a backseat. It of course didn't impress me as any of the PS2 PES titles but then again, I have never found those levels of awesomeness were ever matched. After reading your post I'm even more intrigued, must play it myself soon.

--
Not entirely retro-PES-related, but I decided to celebrate this special month of December - and surely we are all needing some extra happiness worldwide...- with the concept of the...Retro Christmas: every day the Libero Magazine "offers a gift" to its audience in the form of retro games/mods; every day one of those is promoted and described, whilst providing also the relevant links. It is currently the fifth day of Retro Christmas and I've covered the likes of Firebird 2021, naturally our beloved AMADOR and Project Odyssey mods (paging @mattmid), among others: certainly there will be more retro-PES "gifts" to come. Retro Christmas everyone!

That might have been the last patch I made. Spent so much time making patches I rarely got time to enjoy each title for too long.

omg, i thought i'll never see you here again, this is truly like a blast from the past (better past)...

thank you so much for all you've done to pes community, i'm so happy to see you posting again :)

But I'm sorry to announce that I will try to beat them in the semi-finals with Italy.

Honestly this thread could be called Retro Italia Corner as well cause its usually who people pick for retro MLs here. Back in the time of PS2 PES Serie A was still super powerful, and I assume most people have sentiment towards 90s Italian football (me not exactly, I started watching football in 2002 so bit late).

We all support Italy, the ultimate kingdom of retro football. Antiamo ragazzi or bust 🐑 may Italy win all the retro PES cups to come!!!

Finally faced that majestic Juventus in my Pes 13 ML.

Just a quick reminder of the team they are:

pes2013 juve.jpg

Anyway, my previous 0-2 victory against a very good Milan in Coppa Italia, thanks to a nice counter attacking formation, deluded me that I had some possibility.. instead I got hammered without chances- Juventus immediately went 1-0 up, I draw a few moments later with an unhoped header from a corner with my cb Freddi, only to be buried by Juventus short, solid and terribly talented team, ending up losing 6-1 :BLUSH:.

However, most impressive thing of this team was, partially unsurprisingly, the striking pair Messi-Leandro Damiao.

Damiao was like, the most difficult forward to physically defend against that I played in all this seasons of 13. He scored two headers and a tap in: both tall and highly attribute-gifted in balance, jump and headers precision he was almost unmarkable in the aerial game.. and with that two absurdly good wings (Bale+Giovinco) plus Messi providing him precise balls, was a true unstoppable nightmare. Haven't experienced anything similar in all the matches I played before and was so nice to see all the amalgama "creating" it.

Messi, well he's Messi, no need to say more. Played so much like the real himself, between dribbling bursts and assists.. Player Id seriously shined. Just look at this:

Ridiculizing my best defender with a copy carbon movement of his real counterpart, offering to Damiao an easy touch for the hat trick. Yep, that's the stuff I play for.

To think that if I'll pass against Milan I'll have to replay two times against them in the subsequent Coppa Italia turn :D..

Finally faced that majestic Juventus in my Pes 13 ML.

Just a quick reminder of the team they are:

Anyway, my previous 0-2 victory against a very good Milan in Coppa Italia, thanks to a nice counter attacking formation, deluded me that I had some possibility.. instead I got hammered without chances- Juventus immediately went 1-0 up, I draw a few moments later with an unhoped header from a corner with my cb Freddi, only to be buried by Juventus short, solid and terribly talented team, ending up losing 6-1 :BLUSH:.

However, most impressive thing of this team was, partially unsurprisingly, the striking pair Messi-Leandro Damiao.

Damiao was like, the most difficult forward to physically defend against that I played in all this seasons of 13. He scored two headers and a tap in: both tall and highly attribute-gifted in balance, jump and headers precision he was almost unmarkable in the aerial game.. and with that two absurdly good wings (Bale+Giovinco) plus Messi providing him precise balls, was a true unstoppable nightmare. Haven't experienced anything similar in all the matches I played before and was so nice to see all the amalgama "creating" it.

Messi, well he's Messi, no need to say more. Played so much like the real himself, between dribbling bursts and assists.. Player Id seriously shined. Just look at this:

Ridiculizing my best defender with a copy carbon movement of his real counterpart, offering to Damiao an easy touch for the hat trick. Yep, that's the stuff I play for.

To think that if I'll pass against Milan I'll have to replay two times against them in the subsequent Coppa Italia turn :D..
That Messi Take on and cutback is Vintage Messi. So good

I am afraid I cannot imagine ever enjoying PES 2009; the graphics engine looks fancier, unmistakeably newer than PES 5 and 6 but, just as with my first taste of it over a decade ago, I find it far less beautiful and considerably less playable than its forebears. A watery looking game that moves strangely, players in a higher resolution than ever before but all looking rather alien and ugly. I was hoping I would experience the game through fresh, different eyes this time around, finding new things to appreciate (I certainly feel that way about my return to PES 5), but alas it was not to be.

I was going to try this one again last year but I can't find my PC copy anywhere. I remember not liking it much at the time but did find it better than the PC PES 2008, although that wasn't difficult to do. I do remember having a bit of fun with Become A Legend and had a career going at I think Excelsior back then. I've checked wikipedia but there's no mention of me so I didn't make it big :LOL:

but I lost the PC version I had

There's a PES 2009 thief about somewhere!

That's great to see, he's always been a difficult player to represent in PES I think.

Either Rui Costa or Figo isn't part of that PES4 squad originally...or perhaps neither is, as I remember that Figo did miss the whole 2006 World Cup qualifying stage only to return to action on the actual final tournament.

Very interesting write-up @Early PES footy fan. I've been wanting to play PES2009 for a while now, but I lost the PC version I had and am always busy on other (even more) retro titles. I do remember liking it back in the day, though at the time I was completely immersed in FIFA09 and so PES took a backseat. It of course didn't impress me as any of the PS2 PES titles but then again, I have never found those levels of awesomeness were ever matched. After reading your post I'm even more intrigued, must play it myself soon.

--
Not entirely retro-PES-related, but I decided to celebrate this special month of December - and surely we are all needing some extra happiness worldwide...- with the concept of the...Retro Christmas: every day the Libero Magazine "offers a gift" to its audience in the form of retro games/mods; every day one of those is promoted and described, whilst providing also the relevant links. It is currently the fifth day of Retro Christmas and I've covered the likes of Firebird 2021, naturally our beloved AMADOR and Project Odyssey mods (paging @mattmid), among others: certainly there will be more retro-PES "gifts" to come. Retro Christmas everyone!

Give me around a week and I'll upload my PC Version of PES 2009 to the thread I have going on https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/retropes-2010-2012-2013.83793/

I would upload it sooner but I have a busy few days ahead, but I will let you know when I upload it and hopefully find a sufficient patch that represents the 08/09 season :D

Yo PES 2009 was weird. It was actually that game where, despite eh gameplay, Master League really kept you going. Would surely give it a go myself 🐑

also rip Italy :(

Fantastic work @Camaldinho, I will definitely use that and your other uploads; other than a few games of PES2011 and more recently PES2014 I haven't played any PC PES after PES6 for a long while.

For the non-tweeters, my wee project:

Transition.jpg

These guys have been lost in the sands of time. The world has (rightly) lionised the likes of Miranda (sic), Castello (sic) and Espinas (sic). But what of their former colleagues and predecessors? Such is the prominence of PESes 5 and 6, even the legendary likes of Cellini (sic) and Baroja (sic - can you tell I don't like the WE6FE name changes) have been left behind. But the original ISSPE posse? Merely the preserve of us PES nerds.

So here they are. Why WE7I? It's my favourite. PES3 but with improved heading, the ability of the keeper to drop the ball, and the Adidas Tricolore? Yes please.

Why Juventus? Stadio Delle Alpi. Is there a more iconic PES venue?

I took the stats from ISSPE and kind of blended them with the attributes of the PES5 defaults for balance. PES5 because it was the first PES to have the full, final suite of positions and attributes, so I have the stats now to take into any game. When you look at the stats you can draw a line between the originals and their successors. There are four strikers, for example: Kittie (all-rounder), Lawson (faster), Anser (the big guy) and Carlson (the old poacher). Ordaz, Castolo, Hamsun and Huylens respectively.

A Master League is to come. Plan on doing some recording 'n' shit. I'm on a similar but very different path to our own @Saint Angelo, wishing to learn new skills while using PES as a vehicle. I'll be using Adobe CC on and off for work in the future so I'm very fortunate to have my subscription covered. I work in marketing/PR but it's all very stuffy and corporate. But I'll be getting the chance to be more creative at work and I might as well take it over into something I enjoy. Only issue will be time. We'll see!

Why Juventus? Stadio Delle Alpi. Is there a more iconic PES venue?

Club House, fam, what about Club House?

A Master League is to come.

Yes! we grow 🐑

Couple more of those and we gonna get on youtube rewind next year, with those trendy "letsplays" of 20 years old football games.

We re-invent retro PES for a millonth time with new projects and patches, meanwhile in the modern land they seem to have lost penalties and ai variety again :LOL:

we truly are the best 🐑

There are a couple of other things I should credit PES 2009 with, in contrast with PES 5; a larger second division (I think there are now 12 teams in it rather than a mere 8). In PES 5, free kicks from wide positions often don't go quite where you aim them, sometimes they are slightly off laterally and you have to try and compensate for that, but not so in PES 2009.

I just began a new game on PES 5, going back to what I know and love. I'm playing as Sampdoria, mainly because they have one of the best kits in the game in my opinion. Won the first two games, then lost two before winning my first cup game of the season. Then came the fifth, where I had a blinder; 5-1 away to league leaders (and to that point unbeaten) Anderlecht. The game started evenly, with both sides getting half chances but not troubling the keeper much. Then, after being brought down outside the box, Castolo forced a corner with his free kick (Minanda and Jaric were both being rested, so I gave the free kick shooting duty to the Brazilian out of vain hope that his nationality would imbue him with powers which his stats didn't reveal; he actually did pretty well). Dodo sent a chin-high ball in from the right, curving slightly away from goal to find its way between keeper and defenders, and Libermann ducked his head down to connect with it and send it rocketing into the left corner. That came on 33 minutes, and within 12 further minutes I had scored two more; first Macco had jinked past a defender to get to the touchline before using manual pass to roll it neatly between the encroaching defenders towards Huylens, but the Welshman was fouled as soon as he had kicked it, so Huylens converted the spot kick by hitting it down the middle. Then it was Dodo's turn to get on the score sheet- Huylens was narrowly beaten to a cross, and the weak header was volleyed home from inside the area by Dodo on his left foot, the pick of the bunch.

In the second half I was a little more scrappy, and the home side began getting more opportunities. Then, at around the 70 minute mark, a cleared ball was hit back in from the wing by the Belgians. Low and curling, it was about to find a player who I felt sure had to be offside. I rushed Ivarov toward the ball just in case, but he knocked this Lorne over in the process. The referee blew, and reached for his pocket- for offside?!?* No, it was a penalty, and my keeper was getting booked! The drama wasn't over however; up stepped Ighirre, their lone CF since they were playing a 4-4-2, and hit the post. He had been coming close all game but even from the spot couldn't score. A few minutes later however, Lorne again got clear of my defence and this time coolly lobbed my onrushing keeper. 3-1; could I be about to throw away the chance to get back to winning ways? Thankfully not. I upped my game, and as both sides tired in the last 15 minutes I was creating chances. Anderlecht brought on a third striker, leaving just three at the back, and this is where I sealed it. Macco, in tandem with excellent work from Espimas, got away down the right flank and set up first Ordaz for a sliding finish into the bottom corner and then found Hamsun with another low cross to the far side, the Norwegian's shot being batted out by the diving keeper but only once it had already crossed the line. The victory was complete and the San Siro (yes, Anderlecht's home ground in PES 5!) was silent except for the jubilant chanting of the small away contingent.

In this playthrough I have been playing a 3-4-3; a sweeper and two CBs, in midfield two wingbacks, a DMF who roves up and downfield, and an AMF who does little defensive work yet sits at the halfway line near the DMF. Up front is a prominent CF, one slightly behind and over to his left, and a RWF. In this match, Minanda wasn't fit so I replaced him with Dodo, made him a CMF and upped his defensive duty to 'normal', and moved Espimas further forwards and more central, making him an RMF. It worked well and he was named man of the match, despite neither scoring nor directly assisting anyone.

Since then I've been on good form, winning my next two league games and well positioned in second place behind Anderlecht.

* I think I once saw someone booked for being repeatedly offside, though I haven't been able to find a record of it. I could have sworn I saw Filippo Inzaghi once get booked on Football Italia for this reason. Anyone else remember it?

@Early PES footy fan: You and PES5, the love story that never ends. I was also tempted to start with Sampdoria on my own PES5 ML adventure exactly because of their kits and also the badge, both are amongst my favourites. What's the idea for this save, will you be leading the Defaults to glory?

@Flipper the Priest: Amazing stuff, can't wait to see how the Alfa Romeo Defaults behave on their "new" home, PES3. I think I've posted this here before, but there seems to be an actual story behind those Defaults, which completely surprised me decades after playing with them for the first time. A rather interesting read: https://thezerocar.wordpress.com/20...me-laced-with-obscure-italian-car-references/

@Saint Angelo: To me it is fascinating how we are giving life to these old, forgotten games, everybody producing all kinds of content inspired by them. The interesting thing about this is that the majority truly believes us to be these freaks who are not enlightened enough to play exclusively whatever the most modern football game there is, so we play games that they consider to be "dead". Dead? There are countless football games released over a period of decades, countless mods, new projects using these "dead" games being released as we speak, and now, even YouTube videos and even written content. Does this look like a dead scene? As long as people are passionate and creative and willing to keep the flame alive, a wonderful football gaming scene will always exist, regardless of how the modern football games are doing.

I love contributing to such a scene, because unlike on the modern one, where we spend our time hopelessly praying for developers to satisfy us next year - only that year never comes...-, here, it is really exclusively up to us to sustain it, for no one else really cares, be it developers or the general audience. It's a great responsibility but it's incredibly liberating, because the life of that retro-PES "world" depends solely on our efforts: join it and you're giving it more life, leave it and part of it dies with your departure.

@Meazza84: Nuno Gomes :WORSHIP: Spent years wishing him to start instead of Pauleta, who at some point just scored against the Andorras and the Luxembourgs...That Netherlands team is fantastic. Hard as hell to beat on PES5, one of the most dangerous teams in that game when attacking. I predict A 3-2 Portugal win in the final though.

Club House, fam, what about Club House?

I love the idea. If it wasn't for the allure of the Delle Alpi, I'd be there!

* I think I once saw someone booked for being repeatedly offside, though I haven't been able to find a record of it. I could have sworn I saw Filippo Inzaghi once get booked on Football Italia for this reason. Anyone else remember it?

Hmm... Refs can pretty much book a player for anything under "showing a lack of respect for the game". See: the Stuttgart player today. But unless Inzaghi was getting caught offside deliberately I can't imagine he'd be cautioned. Who knows - he did love that flag!

I was also tempted to start with Sampdoria on my own PES5 ML adventure exactly because of their kits and also the badge, both are amongst my favourites. What's the idea for this save, will you be leading the Defaults to glory?

@Flipper the Priest: Amazing stuff, can't wait to see how the Alfa Romeo Defaults behave on their "new" home, PES3. I think I've posted this here before, but there seems to be an actual story behind those Defaults, which completely surprised me decades after playing with them for the first time. A rather interesting read: https://thezerocar.wordpress.com/20...me-laced-with-obscure-italian-car-references/

I also have a soft spot for Samp. No league has ever been sexier than Serie A in the 90s, and I got into football right in the middle of it. Sampdoria were excellent and my dad liked them so I followed suit. Still to this day I gravitate towards them, like with my 2013 Master League. That kit is the greatest design of all time - I use it wherever I can when creating company documents! In our brand colours, unfortunately.

Not sure whether it was you who first brought it to my attention but I've seen that article. Wonderful stuff. So obscure. So PES.

For the non-tweeters, my wee project:

That'll be me then!

These guys have been lost in the sands of time. The world has (rightly) lionised the likes of Miranda (sic), Castello (sic) and Espinas (sic). But what of their former colleagues and predecessors? Such is the prominence of PESes 5 and 6, even the legendary likes of Cellini (sic) and Baroja (sic - can you tell I don't like the WE6FE name changes) have been left behind. But the original ISSPE posse? Merely the preserve of us PES nerds.

That just gave me a thought. Just which defaults team is actually the best? There's only one way to find out. The PES Defaults League. Each team is from a different version of PES/WE with their stats from that game.

To do it fairly it would have to be AI v AI and whoever is at home gets to play in their version of PES. So PES 3 defaults v PES 6 defaults would be played on PES 3 with the return game in PES 6 and so on.

Hmm, I might just do this.

Back
Top Bottom