The Retro-PES Corner

That's a bit of a bummer @Flipper the Priest at least you can get stronger for next season if you get promotion.

So here are the highlights of the Semi Final 2nd leg away to Aston Villa. We are 3-2 down from the first leg so even a 0-1 or 1-2 win will not be enough because of the away goal rule so we need to win by 2 goals. I had to leave out Sargent because he was injured and I made other changes because our priority has to be the promotion.

That's a bit of a bummer @Flipper the Priest at least you can get stronger for next season if you get promotion.

So here are the highlights of the Semi Final 2nd leg away to Aston Villa. We are 3-2 down from the first leg so even a 0-1 or 1-2 win will not be enough because of the away goal rule so we need to win by 2 goals. I had to leave out Sargent because he was injured and I made other changes because our priority has to be the promotion.

Holy f*ck what a match

Next match is away against Watford.

This is the top of the table with 3 games left:-

1. Leeds 24
2. Southend 23
3. Brighton 18
4. Bournemouth 18

All four teams are playing different teams, if we win and Brighton and Bournemouth both lose then we will be promoted. :)

Last edited:
I got to a strange conclusion, maybe you guys have the same experience. I came to believe that when you play with the same option file for some time and you win many games - but only if you save the option file every time you leave the game - the AI starts playing better and better. As if it adjusts to your level, realizing it will become boring to you if you continue to win in the same fashion. For example in the Serie A OF I'm playing the AI started creating some great actions and goals.

I got to a strange conclusion, maybe you guys have the same experience. I came to believe that when you play with the same option file for some time and you win many games - but only if you save the option file every time you leave the game - the AI starts playing better and better. As if it adjusts to your level, realizing it will become boring to you if you continue to win in the same fashion. For example in the Serie A OF I'm playing the AI started creating some great actions and goals.

Some really nice goals there! Do you mean saving it from the main menu options, rather than from within the league/cup you are playing? Anyway I can't say I've ever noticed it but if it is a main menu save then I've never done that.

I'm playing exhibition matches for this tournament because I have only one controller atm. I always used to go Alt+F4 after I finish the games nut now I always go to main menu and the option file is saved automatically. I think it saves the results of all the exhibition matches you played against the CPU and maybe - this is just a theory - adjusts the difficulty levels accordingly.

Anyways, I will continue the experiment and let you know...

Last edited:
Yep some excellent goals there @Meazza84 , not sure if it happens on PES5 or PES6 but on PES2008 the CPU adapts to the way you play. So if I attack down the wings a lot eventually the opposition will cover the wings better. I have seen that change happen in one match at half time. It also happens to the way they attack too.

So onto the 13th Match in my ML. All top 4 teams won in the last match so the top four looks like this now:-

1. Leeds 26
2. Southend 25
3. Brighton 21
4. Bournemouth 21

Wolves v Southend
Leeds v Watford
Bournemouth v Brighton

A win would get us promoted but if we lose and Brighton or Bournemouth win then it would go down to the last game. I was so nervous in this one.

OLAYINKAAAAAA!!! What a way to gain promotion! It was one of those goals where the interviewer asks, "did you mean that? or was it a cross?" all I know is that I pressed the 'shoot' button but I was shocked that it went in and the keeper was shocked too. What a season! Now we have an opportunity to win the league being just one point behind Leeds. We also have a chance to win the EFL Cup against...Leeds too. :)

I used to think I was paranoid but I felt the same way however for me it would be if I was having a bad couple of scripted games, If I shut the game down and rebooted it, it was like it refreshed the game and "calm" the AI down, Like a pallette cleanser 😂.

It might be possible. Of course, like with everything, psychology plays a part in video gaming. It could be a reality that the AI adjusts. But then it could be a coincidence that re-enforces superstition that affects the way you play and before you know it digital footballers are living rent-free in your head. :LOL:

I had a surreal experience in PES 2020. At the start of the year, after one of the updates made the gameplay extra frustrating. I knew that I was at least capable of enjoying it. That's a start. So I applied - in microcosm - the technique I've used to keep my nut straight in general over the years: deep breath, take stock and let it go. Play it as it lies; the game it is and not the game you want it to be. Totally upped my enjoyment of the game. Sounds really wanky but it worked. All those counselling and psychology sessions paying off in PES form - thanks, NHS!*

Might need to give myself a talking to in my ML:

Decent start to the season, but that last match was a ponytailed kick in the balls. Hammered!

*Needless to say I'm only making light of mood and anxiety disorders to colourfully illustrate a point. I've won the battles but I'm still at war with mine, but I think it's important to own it when you're on top of it, and treat it like an insignificant piece of shit. Take its power away.

Wow, you had a great start to the season, lots of chances being made and some really good goals scored! Your form went awry after that cup match though didn't it :(. Fulham are looking very strong, they'll be hard to keep up with. I am surprised Galatasary aren't doing better, especially since they have one of the highest scorers in the league- Van Nistelrooy! Can Juve recapture their excellent early form, and create more goal scoring chances? I will be watching in hope :PRAY:

I gave up my Sampdoria playthrough. I had an iffy start to the season after my previous update in this thread, and was getting sick of how strong many players were becoming, as the development of stats through across so many seasons makes too many players super fast. It feels daft, as having 90+ speed becomes almost normal. I think I was also just a bit tired of the way the game played too. I decided to globally reduce agility having read about it a few times on this forum. I took it down by 40 points, and slightly reduced the game speed to 0.97 of normal speed as well. Having started a new ML, the game does feel a bit different, and I'm enjoying it.

I began a new ML without the defaults for a change, and kept the formation of the chosen team for the moment; I am Sao Paulo. I mixed up the leagues quite a bit, with all the biggest sides from across Europe included. The 2nd division I have to gain promotion from includes Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Sporting Lisbon among others. I had a great opening game against Sporting, winning 3-0, though have only managed to score one goal in the three games since.

Wow, you had a great start to the season, lots of chances being made and some really good goals scored! Your form went awry after that cup match though didn't it :(. Fulham are looking very strong, they'll be hard to keep up with. I am surprised Galatasary aren't doing better, especially since they have one of the highest scorers in the league- Van Nistelrooy! Can Juve recapture their excellent early form, and create more goal scoring chances? I will be watching in hope :PRAY:

I gave up my Sampdoria playthrough. I had an iffy start to the season after my previous update in this thread, and was getting sick of how strong many players were becoming, as the development of stats through across so many seasons makes too many players super fast. It feels daft, as having 90+ speed becomes almost normal. I think I was also just a bit tired of the way the game played too. I decided to globally reduce agility having read about it a few times on this forum. I took it down by 40 points, and slightly reduced the game speed to 0.97 of normal speed as well. Having started a new ML, the game does feel a bit different, and I'm enjoying it.

I began a new ML without the defaults for a change, and kept the formation of the chosen team for the moment; I am Sao Paulo. I mixed up the leagues quite a bit, with all the biggest sides from across Europe included. The 2nd division I have to gain promotion from includes Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Sporting Lisbon among others. I had a great opening game against Sporting, winning 3-0, though have only managed to score one goal in the three games since.

Yessss as a south american i'm happy to see someone playing with the only south american team in the game lol.

I like the idea of having a powerful team on the second division, and I might as well try it in my pes 5 or pes 6 ml whenever my decision slump finally ends and i finally stick with one ml.

I remember though playing three master leagues with mixed up leagues in pes 6 before: back in October 2019 i decided to create a club from an european country with a weak national team. I chose Bosnia & Herzegovina and had as the team name a translation of "Black Dragon" from english to bosnian, having as final result FC Crni Zmaj.
I remember having the three promoted english clubs (Reading, Watford and Sheffield Utd.) in the 2nd div alongside other random teams such as Mallorca, Panathinaikos, Mönchengladbach and Stuttgart. Then I had a stronger 1st div, with lots of the best european clubs.

I had trouble in the first season, since it was the first time I ever played a Master League in Top Player difficulty. I remember getting scared when I saw the two relegated clubs I had to face in the 2nd season were Sporting CP and Porto lmao. But I was able to win the 2nd div title and get promoted, having Sporting as the 2nd promoted club. I remember the last game was against Porto, with me being on top and Porto in second. All I needed was a draw to win the title, meanwhile Porto needed to beat me, or if we drew they needed Sporting not to win. Sadly for Porto i played dirty and spent the 90 minutes passing the ball around with my defenders without letting Porto touch it lol. Final score was 0-0, and Sporting won, so it was us and Sporting the promoted clubs, and Porto had to spend another season in the 2nd tier.

My first season in the Top Flight was better than I expected. Adrian Mutu was the star and the one I trusted the most. I remember a Valencia win secured my spot in the Champions League qualifying stage, and since Valencia was surprisingly having a title race with Chelsea, I decided to let them beat us, as a thank you for helping us getting to the UCL. But unfortunately it didn't work because Chelsea won the title anyways.

Then in the preseason I signed Agüero and Messi (I started that ML with 50k points that's why I got so many good players lol) and had a great start of the season. I remember having Feyenoord, Newcastle and West Ham in my UCL QS group. But sadly that's when my "4th season course" started. The game started malfunctioning for some reason, while I was playing against West Ham, so it kept crashing. Me being a 16 year old with bad temper, got too pissed and without thinking twice I deleted everything.

Do I regret deleting that ML? Yes, it was the best ML I ever made, and I wonder what would have happened if I never deleted that ML for such a poor reason.

Final match of the season at home to Brighton. Leeds and Southend are already promoted but who will win the league?

1. Leeds 30
2. Southend 29

We needed a win and hope that Leeds draw or lose.

Oh well, Leeds won anyway so it would not have made much difference. At least we are in the EPL next season and we have the Cup Final to play yet. :)

Having played most of my opening season with Sao Paulo, I am very happy with how things stand. I won a couple more games, so that for my seventh match of the season (last of the first half of the 2nd Division season) I had won 3, drawn 3, lost 0- but I was facing Barcelona in that game. I fully expected defeat given that Barca had won all of their first six games, but I started really well and dominated the first half, scoring a goal shortly before half time through Amallaso (I will have to check whether these are real player names!). A deflected shot was parried by their keeper Victor Valdes, but Amallaso was on hand to put it in. My strikers were timing their runs really well, almost never getting offside, and Barca's fullbacks play in quite an advanced position on the pitch so I was having a lot of success working down the wings. Barca's attack was perhaps less threatening than usual as they had opted for a 4-4-2 rather than a 4-3-3, and they only created a single chance all game I think. I had to keep my concentration up though, and late in the game I scored a second. I managed to contain their attempts to create more chances, and victory was mine.

Despite trouncing Valenica 5-0 after the Xmas break, that win against Barca was definitely my best performance so far, and I'm very pleased with it. Since then I've drawn only once and won twice, so that I am just two points behind Barca with four games to go, and seven points clear of third place. I scored a rather nice volley with Gnapicci (they probably aren't real names, are they :P) in my last game; a corner had been headed away to the side of the penalty area, but before it could land on the ground it was gently volleyed back across the box in an outward arc by my left back, who had raced forwards to do so. I quickly switched control to Gnapicci (hate it when it gives you control of someone who isn't going to reach it) and he volleyed it in from thigh height.

At the Xmas break I had bought two players to bolster the squad; a fullback called Edimendo (very good player), and a veteran Brazilian forward returning from many years in European football- Castolo! He has had a couple of sub appearances so far, and is doing ok, though he is yet to score. My scouts were unable to ascertain any details of his years in Europe, though he assures me he has had an illustrious career playing alongside the great Barota (I was too embarrassed to admit I hadn't heard of this man, I don't want Castolo to think he has come to a footballing backwater).

Having played most of my opening season with Sao Paulo, I am very happy with how things stand. I won a couple more games, so that for my seventh match of the season (last of the first half of the 2nd Division season) I had won 3, drawn 3, lost 0- but I was facing Barcelona in that game. I fully expected defeat given that Barca had won all of their first six games, but I started really well and dominated the first half, scoring a goal shortly before half time through Amallaso (I will have to check whether these are real player names!). A deflected shot was parried by their keeper Victor Valdes, but Amallaso was on hand to put it in. My strikers were timing their runs really well, almost never getting offside, and Barca's fullbacks play in quite an advanced position on the pitch so I was having a lot of success working down the wings. Barca's attack was perhaps less threatening than usual as they had opted for a 4-4-2 rather than a 4-3-3, and they only created a single chance all game I think. I had to keep my concentration up though, and late in the game I scored a second. I managed to contain their attempts to create more chances, and victory was mine.

Despite trouncing Valenica 5-0 after the Xmas break, that win against Barca was definitely my best performance so far, and I'm very pleased with it. Since then I've drawn only once and won twice, so that I am just two points behind Barca with four games to go, and seven points clear of third place. I scored a rather nice volley with Gnapicci (they probably aren't real names, are they :P) in my last game; a corner had been headed away to the side of the penalty area, but before it could land on the ground it was gently volleyed back across the box in an outward arc by my left back, who had raced forwards to do so. I quickly switched control to Gnapicci (hate it when it gives you control of someone who isn't going to reach it) and he volleyed it in from thigh height.

At the Xmas break I had bought two players to bolster the squad; a fullback called Edimendo (very good player), and a veteran Brazilian forward returning from many years in European football- Castolo! He has had a couple of sub appearances so far, and is doing ok, though he is yet to score. My scouts were unable to ascertain any details of his years in Europe, though he assures me he has had an illustrious career playing alongside the great Barota (I was too embarrassed to admit I hadn't heard of this man, I don't want Castolo to think he has come to a footballing backwater).

Yeah, Sao Paulo's player names ain't the real ones lmao

If I'm not wrong Amallaso is Amoroso and Gnapicci is Grafite.

I'm looking for a SWOS style of gameplay. This means changing to an end to end bird's-eye view camera, speeding up the game and adjusting the way the ball moves. Does anyone know if this can be achieved? This in PES6 would be amazing, especially for someone in to retro style gaming.

I'm looking for a SWOS style of gameplay. This means changing to an end to end bird's-eye view camera, speeding up the game and adjusting the way the ball moves. Does anyone know if this can be achieved? This in PES6 would be amazing, especially for someone in to retro style gaming.

There's a blimp cam that goes left to right, not up and down, as well as something called Speeder in Kitserver where you actually speed up the entire program and make the game seem slow or fast, depending on your preference. You could achieve something similar with those two things.

Thanks for the reply.
I've seen a left to right one before, but never up and down. Seems strange as there is an angle like that already in the game not bird's-eye.

I've always thought a modern version of this cam would be great in today's games. Not only it is a nice nod to the past, like the SWOS cam would be, it effectively shows both the vertical and horizontal space.

fifa-94-ss3.jpg

Just a general question here,
Do you guys prefer PES 5 or 6? And why?

For me personally I always preferred PES5 over PES6. In fact when I bought PES6 when it first came out I gave it to my best mate's son because I had such a good ML going on PES5 and I didn't want to stop it.

The main reason is that I find the shooting is over powered in PES6 and winning possession from goal kicks (mine and the CPU) is quite easy. Keeper kicks ball I win header and then attack. That was on the highest difficulty. Also I prefer the foul system in PES5. I think I just find PES6 more arcade compared to PES5. All this is on the PS2 version of the game and obviously there are more patches for PES6 compared to PES5 which I suppose that is why people seem to prefer PES6 more.

Anyway, if anybody has a spare 30 mins. I thought I would post the whole EFL Cup Final between Southend and Leeds. Both teams are promoted already and they are building up quite a rivalry. Enjoy! :)

I changed tactics to those used the the ISS PE team. So I've moved further away from how I'd choose to play! It's getting me more goals throughout the team at least.

It was a totally mixed bag in the first half of the season. I've since finished it - will be up over the weekend or early next week!

Love that idea!

PES5. More difficult to score because shooting isn't as surefire, and more difficult to defend because so many fouls are given. It's just more measured over all. Some people may use the same reasons for preferring PES6!

I have always preferred PES 6 mostly because of comfort.

I'm really good at that game after almost 3 years playing it and I got lots of beautiful memories that's why I keep choosing it.

But, perhaps I became too good? I mean, I play in Top Player difficulty and still manage to get huge wins.

For example, yesterday I wanted to play a full International Cup/World Cup with my country (Uruguay) in Top Player like I always play and despite having two tense games at the start I still won the WC quite easily.

My seven games were (groups were randomized btw):
Uruguay 1-0 USA (group stage)
Uruguay 1-1 Portugal (group stage)
Uruguay 5-0 Norway (group stage)
Uruguay 5-0 Ivory Coast (round of 16)
Uruguay 4-1 Germany a.e.t. (quarter finals)
Uruguay 3-0 Netherlands (semifinals)
Uruguay 4-1 Brazil (final)

And I don't know if I'm bored or not, because I just keep deleting new PES 6 master leagues and creating new ones to delete them as well. But, when I am playing another game I start to miss PES 6 and come back to it just to have all that "delete master league" cycle all over again.

@geeeeee: I got kinda curious to know about that PES 5 ML you talked about lol, perhaps it can give me some ideas because after writing what I wrote I started considering finally switching officially to PES 5 :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PES 6 but have played infinitely more hours on that over PES 5 so not the best judge. I also ran a PES league on another forum with fictional teams created and managed by users on the forum and the matches on that were very fun.

Personally I prefer the more arcade style, so I guess it's good both games use pretty much the same base but have significant gameplay differences to appeal to different tastes.

I also find the AI in PES 5 too weak, I've always struggled to concede against the PES AI, if that makes any sense!

Back
Top Bottom