The Retro-PES Corner

Quick question guys, is there any way to direct a goal kick on retro PES?

For example if kicking from left to right, i may see my player free on our right side (bottom of screen) in the opponent’s half but when i press down button and take long goal kick it might go centre or our left (top of screen).

Hope that makes sense.

Quick question guys, is there any way to direct a goal kick on retro PES?

For example if kicking from left to right, i may see my player free on our right side (bottom of screen) in the opponent’s half but when i press down button and take long goal kick it might go centre or our left (top of screen).

Hope that makes sense.

If there is, I'll be blown away! Never known of it.

Sorry guys, i know this sounds really dumb but you mean press left and right button or up and down button?

Because i played today, (kicking from right to left) and with a goal kick i pressed ‘up’ button to kick to our ‘right side of pitch’ but it went centre.

Are you meaning long or short passing?

The keeper kicks long where he's facing (which you control, loosely) with L and R when the camera's behind him. But when kicking short you're restricted to the defender in front of you near the 18 yard box. If that's not the case I've been missing something for 20 years!

Ah! I'm glad about that because I was thinking surely @geeeeee must have known that! :LOL: I'm not certain about that, I'm sure I have done kicks that aren't central but I don't think it happens very time I try it, perhaps it depends on whether there's an open player sometimes? Could be totally making that up though. You could always go 'modern' and drop the ball and kick it with long pass :)

Man this season is so tough. I am really looking at the fixtures and thinking maybe we can get a point there or a win there because this game is ruthless. None of this 'bigger teams are easier to play against' nonsense because they attack more like you get in the new games. If you play against a bigger team you really have to change tactics maybe go all out defence like real life. But I am still learning this and it is costing me big time.

Also, this game has free kicks, even penalties yes penalties, keepers being booked etc.., all the basic things that are missing from the newer games. It's shocking how a game over 10 years old completely wipes the floor with the newer ones.

Next match is Leicester who are currently in 4th place and we are in 15th.

The games are getting harder and harder. Next we are at Anfield in a top v bottom clash. Liverpool have won all 10 games so far, what chance do we have? If we get a point it will be good, but we couldn't could we.....?

What a heart breaker right at the end :( by the black Joao Felix (I haven't edited his face yet in my OF). And now Sargent is injured too although only out for one match but that game is against Spurs. We are going to try to buy another CB and a CF in the transfer window to try to improve our chances.

What a great game! It really makes you feel that you are playing against a bigger team and you have to take measures to achieve a draw or a victory with some luck.

I usually don't change the formation but what works for me:
- control the general level of defense/attack (L2+ R1/R2) depending the situation.
- keep your team tidy, don't abuse of pressing with square button because it gives spaces for the rival and keep poblated the center front of your goal. If the ball is lost, run back and keep the lines.
- defend using the R2 button to cut spaces and have more reaction.
- cut the spaces with the offside trap to compact the team in defense.
- while defending in corner kicks, use the counter attack strategy (L2 + assignated button).
- put the strongest (high body balance and defense) and tallest (or high jump stat) CB's because inside the box they have to deal with overpowered forwards.
- and while attacking pray to the god or entity of your choice to score a goal.

The first couple of seasons are always the best, both frustrating and rewarding.

Ah! I'm glad about that because I was thinking surely @geeeeee must have known that! :LOL: I'm not certain about that, I'm sure I have done kicks that aren't central but I don't think it happens very time I try it, perhaps it depends on whether there's an open player sometimes? Could be totally making that up though. You could always go 'modern' and drop the ball and kick it with long pass :)

If you press up or down (and keep pushing) before the kick, the goalkeeper's pass will go to that sector of the field. And don't know if it is placebo but I also press R2 with every kick, and believe if you press left (attacking from left to right) the long pass will be shorter.

Decided to dust off the PS2 and play a European Championship on Winning Eleven 8 international. Played as Croatia and managed to come through the group of death in 2nd place

Netherlands 1 Croatia 0
Portugal 1 Croatia 1
Romania 0 Croatia 2

Never had a sniff vs Holland and the game with Portugal was so enjoyable end to end with red cards for both sides and we walked over Romania who topped the group going in to the last game

In the QF have to admit we got Lucky beating England 1-0 with a goal in the last minute was surprised I managed to scrape to the semis but it all came crashing down against Italy never had a prayer and lost 3-0 Vieri was too much for us and my team had injuries, fatigue and suspensions

Havent yet played the 3rd place playoff but should be fun against France with Henry already on 6 goals and easily the golden boot winner

20210217_111702.jpg20210217_111649.jpg

Player of the tournament for us was old man Boban who carried an injury from the second game but still played like a monster and ended the semi final with both knees bandaged and a broken man lol had more fun playing WE8 than any time on current gen all the little details Just immerse you and things work as they should. Will try my luck at the World cup next

20210217_111725.jpg

Last edited:
I like your avatar Saintric, two former national teammates, greats of 90s Italian football, meeting in the late days of their careers.

The season is over. The EC was won, as I mentioned in my last post, by Man Utd. Chelsea won the UEFA Cup (I can't remember if those two share the same domestic league). I won League C for the second year running, leaving Barca 11 points in my wake. Man Utd won their own league (A) ahead of Milan, Arsenal won League D ahead of PSV, and B was won by Juve, pipping Real Madrid to the post in the last couple of games. I also won our D1 Cup for the third year in a row; a boring 1-1 draw with Barca went to penalties, which I won 10-9!

The relegated teams this year were Aquitane and RBC Roosendal; the former came quite close to saving themselves with a modest improvement in form late on, but fell short of the hard task they had set themselves. The Dutch minnows were long resigned to going down, having won just three games all season. Coming up to replace them are PES Utd and Sporting Lisbon.

I scored marginally more goals in total than the previous season, though my top scorer was again Amoroso on exactly the same tally as the year before, 14. The top scorer in the league was Kluivert of Valencia with 18; he was also top scorer in the D1 cup, and Rivaldo of the same team was top score in the EC, despite Valencia not getting past the quarters in either competition (though they finished third close behind Barca in the league). I scored a pleasing amount with a variety of players again, including 4 from Castolo.

Having sold off a fullback at the midseason break, I resisted a new offer for Cicinho and bought a young Serginho. This means I again have four fullbacks though Everaldo, who I bought in 2005, has now got such great stamina that he rarely needs anyone to step in for him. Serginho can also play as a winger so I can use him upfront if I so choose.

I started well this year, and to date (11 games in) haven't lost a match, and in fact have drawn only once, and am yet to concede a goal in the league. Barca are just a point behind, having only dropped points on one occasion themselves (a defeat to yours truly). I've made a decent start in the two cups as well. Diego Tardelli has had a good start to the year, scoring more in the league than usual (he is my highest all-time scorer in the D1 cup), and I am playing pleasing football a lot of the time.

This might be my last season in this playthrough if I win the league again, as it seems my squad is too strong now (though it would be nice to see the retirement stats of some of my players, like Castolo and Marcio Amoroso). I decreased agility stats for this playthrough, I will go further by following suggested amendments I read of in the PES 5 editing section of the forum and amending other stats like stamina and pace. Does anyone know of a way to make players retire earlier, by the way? Short of hardly playing them, I don't know of a way to get players to retire before they are in their late 30s.

If this is my last season of this playthrough, I think my next one might be starting with PES or WE United. While I don't have any memories of these players (I assume they are from the pre-Pro Evo 1 days because that's the game I started with), I thought I could do a playthrough where I only bought players from PES/WE or the defaults (including Barota through to Ordaz era). I wish I had started the PES/WE journey at the start, to appreciate the full history of the series and gain an affinity with all the players, but I didn't have a console until I bought a PS2 in the autumn of 2002 (ahhh, playing Timesplitters 2 in the months before I started my first full-time job, bliss!).

Last edited:
Damn what are u up to guys, is retro kingdom well

I have been horribly out of the loop recently. Whole Canada thing burned down to ashes due to 5000 overnight travel bans but I managed to get into design / digital media course which is cool but I'll be lot more busy again

I try to catch up with the thread every now and then but its so fucken hard, still, its a good sign since it seems things are going on super, super fast. I was playing and doing lots of pes-related things in last 2-3 months so got bit burned out as well, but slowly getting the itch to fire up PES 3 or 5 back again

we aint dead yet you hear yu konami bastards we know you'll mess pes 2022 up anyway who cares we live on forever

i hope u all having wonderful retro pes times 🐑 hope i can do more soon!

Yeh sometimes i drop the ball but only to pass it short. I think if I was to do that for a long pass, by the time I look up to see my player the striker would have tackled me and scored. I will try it either when I am 3-0 up or 3-0 down :LOL:

What a great game! It really makes you feel that you are playing against a bigger team and you have to take measures to achieve a draw or a victory with some luck.

I usually don't change the formation but what works for me:
- control the general level of defense/attack (L2+ R1/R2) depending the situation.
- keep your team tidy, don't abuse of pressing with square button because it gives spaces for the rival and keep poblated the center front of your goal. If the ball is lost, run back and keep the lines.
- defend using the R2 button to cut spaces and have more reaction.
- cut the spaces with the offside trap to compact the team in defense.
- while defending in corner kicks, use the counter attack strategy (L2 + assignated button).
- put the strongest (high body balance and defense) and tallest (or high jump stat) CB's because inside the box they have to deal with overpowered forwards.
- and while attacking pray to the god or entity of your choice to score a goal.

The first couple of seasons are always the best, both frustrating and rewarding.

If you press up or down (and keep pushing) before the kick, the goalkeeper's pass will go to that sector of the field. And don't know if it is placebo but I also press R2 with every kick, and believe if you press left (attacking from left to right) the long pass will be shorter.

Thanks for the tips. Yeh when buying a defender or a DMF i normally look for Defence, Balance, Head, and Jump stats.

With regards to the Attack and Defence I normally have it on automatic. This is something that I have just recently been doing which I find helps a bit. Definitaly I need to stop the pressing because I do do it when I shouldn't or sometimes I go for a mistimed tackle and the CPU jumps it and gets a cross in.

Next match is at home to Spurs, not expecting much from this but surprisingly it was a very entertaining game with a couple of great moments in it, like at 2:24. Great moments like that just keep me coming back for more, the game always throws up random stuff. :)

So another defeat but Akinola played quite well as a central CF rather than left sided. He only played there because Sargent has a slight knock. Scored one of my best goals on 4:35 which was nice ;)

It's interesting how different folk play; I mostly drop the ball with my keeper and try to pass it to a defender. You do have to be careful, and I do occasionally give away possession, but I find it more reliable than kicking it with the keeper, which almost always gives possession away for me. Regarding the attack and defence attitudes, I always have these set to manual and at the start of each game I jack it up to maximum and leave it there. Ever since I found out from this forum that having it high means you get more men up for corners, it's been a cornerstone of the way I play. I like to attack all game, and only if I am struggling to defend a narrow lead will I contemplate upping the defence attitude for a while.

Great goal by the way!

It's good to get tips from others. I normally prefer to pass it short to my defender from the keeper. But you know sometimes you might have a player on his own on the wing, so i think let me whack it to him but then it goes centre. It can be a pain because like you said you tend to give the ball away like that unless you have midfielder with good heading and balance so that he wins it.

I may try your attack mentality but I am a bit worried (in fact very worried about getting caught out at the back).

Here is our 2nd leg against Liverpool. We are already 2-0 down so it was always going to be a struggle. The main thing is keeping the squad fit. Oh and Joao Felix is back to his normal look again now :P

@geeeeee Nice goal, I do like the sound of the ball hitting the bar in PES. That was some ball over the top to Bale by the computer at the end of the Spurs game only for him to miss it. How's the AI coping with his ML salary by the way, if it's anything like his real one the game would crash :LOL:

Must have some key games coming up against those around you shortly mustn't you as you seem to have been playing a few of the top teams of late.

@geeeeee Nice goal, I do like the sound of the ball hitting the bar in PES. That was some ball over the top to Bale by the computer at the end of the Spurs game only for him to miss it. How's the AI coping with his ML salary by the way, if it's anything like his real one the game would crash :LOL:

Must have some key games coming up against those around you shortly mustn't you as you seem to have been playing a few of the top teams of late.

:LOL: Thankfully it hasn't crashed yet. Maybe because he is playing regular in this ML so the CPU is holding back the crash.

Our next 2 games are against Southampton, (just above relegation zone) and Newcastle (mid table). Really we need to get 3 or 4 points out of the two games otherwise the pressure will be on.

PES3 I'm sure is the only version you can get sent off for persistent fouls. You know the ones where you are genuinely trying to win the ball using X but it accidentally brings their player down. I'm sure it must have been that because I remember receiving two yellows the same way without even pressing slide tackle. Guess it shows you have time the tackles without spamming X.
PES6 on the other hand...
When you are the one with the ball running past a defender and the ref gives them a free kick. Imagine kicking someone but they get sent off because you hurt your foot doing it. That kind of logic...

Back
Top Bottom