The Retro-PES Corner

@geeeeee Makes perfect sense. I really like that it adds an element of suspense to each bid you get and that element of possible disappointment or a real 'yes' moment when he turns it down :)

What if you were to add some fraction of games played to the mentality stat? Perhaps 1 point for every 10 games? That would add a loyalty factor into his decision. Like you say the longer he stays the more loyal he becomes which number of games played would be a pretty logical stat to use. So I guess he's played close to 30 games now? So would be getting near to 71 now for his 'loyalty' (games/10 + mentality)

I can see it now

Sargent: Boss, I'm knackered.
Geeeeee: I don't care, you're playing in the cup I need to buy your loyalty!

That is an excellent idea Matt, i may use it. He has played so many training matches too so i have him at 200 points now so with a number generated between 1 to 100 i think he will stay :LOL:

@geeeeee
I thought I'd seen somewhere on here if you change GK to let's say a CF, there is something with the player ID where the game thinks they are still a GK and GK skills change during ML. Maybe I dreamt it haha

You were dreaming Titch :ZZZ:, seriously though i haven't noticed it in the ML i am playing and ones i have played in the past ;)

@geeeeee , you might recall a few days ago that I inferred that I was finding it rather easy to keep clean sheets on my return to PES 2008 (PS2). Next game in my ML on Top Player, I lost 6 (SIX!) 2 to Norwich. I couldn't handle their direct play and the physical mauling they gave my Brighton side.

Aside from that, I think I am now ready to join you in declaring PES 2008 up there with PES5 when it comes to the best footy games on the mighty PS2.

I'm currently nearing the end of my fifth ML season, having started in Div 2 with the defaults, and have seen all sorts of goals (for and against), incidents, injuries, penalties and controversies. The ball physics are brilliant, the player idividuality outstanding and the sense of freedom on the pitch vivid, which is weird given the eight-direction era of footy game.

I'll be finishing midtable this season but I'm through to the FA Cup final after a torrid two-legged semi final vs Arsenal - the second leg a battling defensive display in the rain. I've also got a UEFA Cup semi final to play vs Villarreal so silverwear is a possibility.

Finally, I like your transfer system. I'm using a few house rules myself as the ML format is about on a par with current gen PES when it comes to features. This is the only PS2 PES that sees offers actually come in for my players though.

Is it possible to play the PS2 version of PES 2008 on PC? I bought the actual PC version of PES 2009 a few months ago to give it a second chance, but quickly remembered what I didn't like about it, and I know that I hadn't got on with the PC version of 2008 either, back when I first played them over a decade ago. I never played the PS2 versions of either game.

I have two league games left to play in my PES 5 Sao Paulo ML, but I have just won the title ahead of Barca! I have in fact done the treble, winning the D1 cup and European Cup on my Euro debut. I still haven't lost a league match all season, but there are still those two games to go, against Kiev and FC Porto. I will do a full review of the end of season in a day or two, but now a report on my cup wins.

I won the D1 cup in surprisingly easy fashion; I was definitely the favourite to beat PSG, who are midtable, but thanks largely to a great first half display by young midfielder Ederson (who I bought at the start of the season) I was four up at half time. For the first goal Grafite held the ball up in attack, and Ederson overlapped outside the defender, receiving a simple ball and carrying it into the area, before sliding a straight shot into the bottom of the far corner as the keeper came out. His second was more spectacular, a free kick (I think it is the first time I have had him take one, he was only in the side because first teamers were tired). To cap it off, after a first half in which I had dominated and found creating chances easy, he lofted a free kick across the box which was headed in by Souza, another AMF who isn't usually in the starting eleven. On the cusp of half time Amoroso was sent clear, and though his shot was saved it was an easy tap in for strike partner Grafite. A fifth was added in the second half by Amoroso. PSG got one back through Pauleta, but the night was mine. Perhaps the awful heat played into the hands of the Brazilians; although an evening game, the temperature (shown at start of the game) was thirty degrees celsius!

In the European Cup, I had beaten Barca in the semi to face Real Madrid in the final. Their starting line up included Maradona, Robinho and Raul, but no Zidane, Ronaldo or Beckham (though Ronaldo did make a very late appearance, to no effect). In the preceding league game Falcão, my CF/WF, played a blinder and set up both goals, so despite him being a bit tired I decided to make use of him acting as a winger. I knew that Real's formation sets their fullbacks very far forward, leaving gaps behind them for wingers to be released. I got at them in confident fashion with Falcão, dribbling past two defenders before being forced away from the edge of the box, and laid it off to a midfielder, Josué, who fired in a low shot to give me the lead from about 20 yards. That was his first cup goal for me! That was after just two minutes, but Real soon started attacking themselves. Maradona was way offside when he 'scored' an equaliser, and he was very involved in their initial attempts to get level. Robinho, playing up front with Raul, made himself the most important player though, getting down the left wing primarily. A cross to Raul was headed off the crossbar from close range, but he scored the equaliser just minutes later. Raul Bravo played a hard low ball into the edge of the box from deep on the left wing, which Robinho got hold of. The Brazilian then poked it across the face of the six yard box where Raul was waiting at the far post to tap it in. After this, I was feeling a bit less confident, but kept at it and on the stroke of half time I got what proved to be the final goal; young Jadson, bought last season, put in a rebound that Casillas had saved. The rest of the game was very close, though Real looked less and less threatening as the game went on, despite adding a third striker in the shape of Ronaldo to the mix. Falcão and a few other players made way late on so that Castolo and Romario could have a taste of the atmosphere. The first to lift the trophy was the day's captain, which was veteran defender Fabao who had a fine game.

Hi Retro players ! I've been reading this thread since day 1 but too lazy to write something. :)

Anyway, in the last couple of years my playing path has been from WE9LE alternating with PES5/PES6/WE7i, then PES2008 (PS2) and now his japanese brother JLWE2008, bringing back some memories from nes and ps1 j-league games. Sadly I dont own a PS2 console so been playing with PCSX2 and PS2 controller, so far without issues.

Back to J-League Winning Eleven 2008, I've found a semi-traslated patch (Fernando's 1.5) and currently playing my 6th season in ML. What a great game, just cant stop playing it.
You start with some default japanese players to begin your suffering + Minanda & Castolo to try to save the day. Eventually you get to know your players and start to love them (definitely I will export some of them to the original default team in other games). You can buy up to five foreign players, so you had that rule to keep your team quite "pure" and the market is very active at least in the first seasons when your team is still weak.

In general the stats of the players are lower than the European & Rest of the World leagues so from my point of view this give you a more real experience with more heavy physics and errors. You really have to know well your players, who can succeed a long pass, shot, tackle. This is what we like about this games, the stats matter and reflect the unique of the players. So after several seasons the stats of some players improves a lot and maybe it's time to start with another team or sell the best players and buy some low tier players to keep the challenge of the game.

In this thread I've learn so much (thanks!) about lowering the stats and their effects on the field so probably in the future get a current season OF for PES 2008 (Laziale maybe?) and make some edits to achieve that J-league feeling.

See you around!

Whereas AI in PES 1 attempts crosses 90% of the time and scores mostly in that fashion, PES 2 CPU goals are much more varied so the matches are a little more fun. Dribbling is also improved (maybe a little too much because there is almost no inertia when you change directions) and you can score more easily with long range shots.

Whereas AI in PES 1 attempts crosses 90% of the time and scores mostly in that fashion, PES 2 CPU goals are much more varied so the matches are a little more fun. Dribbling is also improved (maybe a little too much because there is almost no inertia when you change directions) and you can score more easily with long range shots.

ooooo how you got that widescreen? On pssx2?

@geeeeee , you might recall a few days ago that I inferred that I was finding it rather easy to keep clean sheets on my return to PES 2008 (PS2). Next game in my ML on Top Player, I lost 6 (SIX!) 2 to Norwich. I couldn't handle their direct play and the physical mauling they gave my Brighton side.

Aside from that, I think I am now ready to join you in declaring PES 2008 up there with PES5 when it comes to the best footy games on the mighty PS2.

I'm currently nearing the end of my fifth ML season, having started in Div 2 with the defaults, and have seen all sorts of goals (for and against), incidents, injuries, penalties and controversies. The ball physics are brilliant, the player idividuality outstanding and the sense of freedom on the pitch vivid, which is weird given the eight-direction era of footy game.

I'll be finishing midtable this season but I'm through to the FA Cup final after a torrid two-legged semi final vs Arsenal - the second leg a battling defensive display in the rain. I've also got a UEFA Cup semi final to play vs Villarreal so silverwear is a possibility.

Finally, I like your transfer system. I'm using a few house rules myself as the ML format is about on a par with current gen PES when it comes to features. This is the only PS2 PES that sees offers actually come in for my players though.

I am pleased that you are liking PES2008 and also that you conceded SIX goals :P Yes the CPU can be ruthless when it wants to be.

I think what makes it better than PES5 is the CPU attacks so much better and it can take you by surprise. I have seen so many different types of goals from the CPU and me.

Also, like you said, there are more transfer offers. I transfer listed two players and they had 3 offers each straight away. You also get offers for players that are not transfer listed. In PES5 it was more about releasing players or trading them for others.

What transfer setting do you have yours on? Mine is on High Frequency.

All the best in the Cup Final.

@Early PES footy fan I think Miguel used to play PES2008 on PC with an emulator but he is not here anymore. I could PM you his Twitter link if you want?

Last edited:
@geeeeee I also have transfers frequency on 'high' as well as ML Level on 'hard'. I usually play 10min matches but I've found 15min matches more suited to this particular PES. I might yet change back to 10mins, we'll see.

Random question, anyone know how good PES 2013 is on xbox 360? I've just dug my old console out and put it in the spare room, and fancied playing some PES on it. I've still got PES 6 / 2008 / 2009 for it, but have been having a look online and 2013 looks pretty good! Might see if I can get hold of the 2013 disc, at the time I was playing FIFA so never played this when it originally came out. Thanks!

Last edited:
@geeeeee I also have transfers frequency on 'high' as well as ML Level on 'hard'. I usually play 10min matches but I've found 15min matches more suited to this particular PES. I might yet change back to 10mins, we'll see.

I also have ML on hard because then it hides the chances of a player signing for your team. Not sure what else that setting does, maybe stamina and form is affected.

I play on 15mins because that way you can play slower.

Not sure if I have asked before but what option file are you using?

Random question, anyone know how good PES 2013 is on xbox 360? I've just dug my old console out and put it in the spare room, and fancied playing some PES on it. I've still got PES 6 / 2008 / 2009 for it, but have been having a look online and 2013 looks pretty good! Might see if I can get hold of the 2013 disc, at the time I was playing FIFA so never played this when it originally came out. Thanks!

for me that was the last really good one!

Can only speak for PS3 but I'd recommend it. I was the same as you, after 2008 I was a FIFA player and - until last year - didn't play any PS3 PES after 2009.

It's the best PES of the era for me. Big fan of the gameplay and the ML.

Am I the only twat who has issues getting things running? Had we8i running on pcsx2 no bother, then decided I wanted widescreen, so downloaded the files and popped them in the cheats folder, now it’s widescreen but get a stutter every 5 seconds!

@Early PES footy fan I think Miguel used to play PES2008 on PC with an emulator but he is not here anymore. I could PM you his Twitter link if you want?

Yes please! Thanks :))

Just saw Mattmid's reply; it's ok Geeee, no need to send me it. Thanks anyway! I don't think I would have been able to get it running anyway, because I was just now looking into PCsx2 and how it works, and it seems you need a PS2 and the actual PS2 copy of the game to get necessary info to run it under emulation, or something like that. Unfortuantely I sold off my PS2 a few years ago!

Last edited:
@Early PES footy fan I have a feeling there's complete instructions for that emulator in this thread a while back. I remember reading it at the time because I want to try PES 2008 in an emulator too because like you I have very bad memories of 2008 PC. I'm almost over it but not completely :LOL:

Not sure if I have asked before but what option file are you using?

I used the 'upload PES6 data' option so I have lots of official club badges, players and more. I've also done a load of editing in game. I unlock six players from the PES Shop before each transfer window to have them available although they rarely come to my club due to my wage limit and/or the fact they usually turn me down flat.

Anyway, this just happened (excuse the low quality pic but my PS2 setup is proper CRT retro stylee!)...

mFn9jIY.png

First silverware in TEN seasons of this ML. I was 2-0 down to Man City in the FA Cup Final, got one back before half time and then went mad in the second half to win 5-2!

I'm also through to the UEFA Cup Final vs AC Milan.

Sweet, thanks for the feedback. Just ordered it online for a whopping £1.99 :COOL:

I tell you, those of us in the UK in this day and age are so lucky when it comes to retro games. Apart from the some of the 'legacy' titles (PS2 PES 2014 and PS3 PES 2018 weren't cheap), it's spare change for some of the best video games ever made.

Yes please! Thanks :))

Just saw Mattmid's reply; it's ok Geeee, no need to send me it. Thanks anyway! I don't think I would have been able to get it running anyway, because I was just now looking into PCsx2 and how it works, and it seems you need a PS2 and the actual PS2 copy of the game to get necessary info to run it under emulation, or something like that. Unfortuantely I sold off my PS2 a few years ago!

Sounds like the kind of thing they say you 'need' to keep it above board! I managed to get it working on PCSX2 using BIOS and an ISO I... acquired, online. I do own the game and the console but it's too much hassle!

I have a feeling there's complete instructions for that emulator in this thread a while back. I remember reading it at the time because I want to try PES 2008 in an emulator too because like you I have very bad memories of 2008 PC. I'm almost over it but not completely :LOL:

There are pretty good tutorials on YouTube. Not that they helped for me and my shite laptop!

And for the next gen PES 2008, I want it banned from this thread! In hindsight the gameplay isn't as bad as I remembered (still rubbish) but it looks worse than I remembered.

What do people think of the PS2 games 2008 onwards? Any worth putting some time into?

I played the Wii versions and liked them a lot so probably the same as those I guess?

What do people think of the PS2 games 2008 onwards? Any worth putting some time into?

I played the Wii versions and liked them a lot so probably the same as those I guess?

For me personally i think 2008 is the best one and anything after that i found the CPU is too direct, too much dribbling. Also there are less fouls in those games whereas 2008 works a good balance. Some matches have not many fouls and others have quite a lot.

One thing that is good in the later versions is the licensing of the Champions and Europa League. Also scouting in ML is a good addition because you don’t see all the stats for players unless you scout them. Makes buying players more fun.

But gameplay wise 2008 is far better. :)

Can anyone help me out, cannot get a widescreen patch to work 2008 on 2008, is there a quick guide anyone has? I downloaded the patches and placed them in the cheats folder, enabled widescreen mode on the system menu, changed the resolution in window settings, still no luck

@DarthKebab Try searching using "this thread only" for the emulator I am sure there's a detailed explanation some pages back which might be of help, but I can't remember how long ago it was. Certainly no more than sometime last year I would say though, possibly summertime ish.

Next match is away to bottom club Norwich who are without a win. This match seriously needed VAR and the ref needs sacking. :(

How Pukki got away with that one I do not know. I knew this would be a tough season. Arsenal are coming up next.

Also, a question, does anybody know how to get the '3' symbol for Chelsea's kit? I have tried to do it myself but with no success.

Can anyone help me out, cannot get a widescreen patch to work 2008 on 2008, is there a quick guide anyone has? I downloaded the patches and placed them in the cheats folder, enabled widescreen mode on the system menu, changed the resolution in window settings, still no luck

I assume that you downloaded the widescreen patch from the PCSX2 forum, right ? The one for PES 2008 is named "99D51FA8.pnach" and this is for the PAL version of the game (SLES-54913 this is a codename for that version). So I think if you don't use that version of the game, the patch will not work. Make sure that you use at least a PAL version of the game (it is shown on the upper bar of the emulator if it's running in window mode).

Anyway, I'm on version 1.5.0 of PCSX2 (not properly installed, running form My Documents folder) and the patch has to be placed in the folder named "cheats_ws", I tell you this because I believe that had been changed with other version of the emulator.

If that doesn't work you still can request a version of the patch according to your game or maybe learn to edit the code (I believe that all the knowledge is available in that forum).

It seems to work fine with PES 2008 but for J-League WE 2008 it feels weird to me, like the field is too stretch.

Apart from that I did the same as you has write. Hope it helps!

Back
Top Bottom