The Retro-PES Corner

@mattmid Thanks I don't know why they stopped using that on MOTD. I would have shown more replays but I wanted it to sync with the song so I cut some out. I could have just mixed it in again or put it in a loop I suppose :D

My favourite goal by the CPU is Asensio's goal, I love Morata's set up and the way Asensio steers the ball in between the two defenders and into the corner...just lovely. :)

Here are the tables after Fixture 1.

8672576E-04B6-4CF0-A63A-C45A7038ABAF.jpeg988B70FA-F5AE-4718-AE10-64AF54ADD0D8.jpeg2DBEDB2E-6C33-4E05-9D17-D247EE0A3B79.jpegA0E82718-863B-4792-9C00-047B70BA3C2D.jpeg92CE561D-77F9-4774-86F4-4C9A5ACE1256.jpeg8728C680-784C-438D-AF8C-7BE8BBDF4B35.jpeg

Random thing that has just come to mind. The special ability "Lines" has the description: "Improves offence and defence along the offside line. Executes well-timed dashes.". I noticed that it mentions defence, but no defenders in the default OF (and various other OFs I've come across) use this for defenders. Is this a mis-translation by Konami or is it useful for defenders too? I would guess not as we have "D-Line control" for defenders but curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Random thing that has just come to mind. The special ability "Lines" has the description: "Improves offence and defence along the offside line. Executes well-timed dashes.". I noticed that it mentions defence, but no defenders in the default OF (and various other OFs I've come across) use this for defenders. Is this a mis-translation by Konami or is it useful for defenders too? I would guess not as we haveLine "D-Line control" for defenders but curious if anyone else has noticed this.

My understanding of both is "Lines" is for well timed runs for forwards and "D-Line control" is for playing the offside trap for defenders, I'll post a video using the great Dutch team of 1974 on my gamplay file to illustrate this as I've given all the defenders "D-Line control" to replicate their amazing offside trap as seen below

My understanding of both is "Lines" is for well timed runs for forwards and "D-Line control" is for playing the offside trap for defenders, I'll post a video using the great Dutch team of 1974 on my gamplay file to illustrate this as I've given all the defenders "D-Line control" to replicate their amazing offside trap as seen below

Yeah that's what I thought too, but mentioning defence just makes no sense for lines... to be fair the names and descriptions of many of the special abilities are a bit like this. :D

I'm trying to work on a player generator which can generate suitable attributes based on positions, skill levels etc but despite playing the game for years I still don't know enough about all the attributes. Plus from my experience you need to essentially have two sets of attributes, one for player vs AI and another for AI vs AI. Anyway, I digress... :P

Yeah that's what I thought too, but mentioning defence just makes no sense for lines... to be fair the names and descriptions of many of the special abilities are a bit like this. :D

I'm trying to work on a player generator which can generate suitable attributes based on positions, skill levels etc but despite playing the game for years I still don't know enough about all the attributes. Plus from my experience you need to essentially have two sets of attributes, one for player vs AI and another for AI vs AI. Anyway, I digress... :P

By using "D-Line control", High Aggression stats for the defenders and setting the Pressure and Offside Trap settings to (A) I think I've managed to capture Total Football, just look at the radar to see the close lines of the Dutch team, and Germay still won...:PP

Yes @goalgerd is right, if you have one or more players in defence with D-Line Control then they are more organised at keeping a good defensive line so are better at playing offside trap etc...

I find pesstatsdatabase explain it really well. ;)

Yes @goalgerd is right, if you have one or more players in defence with D-Line Control then they are more organised at keeping a good defensive line so are better at playing offside trap etc...

I find pesstatsdatabase explain it really well. ;)

Yep, fully understand that about D-Line control. But my question was more to do why "Lines" mentions defence also. Just seems strange. :)

By using "D-Line control", High Aggression stats for the defenders and setting the Pressure and Offside Trap settings to (A) I think I've managed to capture Total Football, just look at the radar to see the close lines of the Dutch team, and Germay still won...:PP

Great stuff! Goes to show just how robust the engine can be, just takes a hell of a lot of tweaking. :D

On a similar subject to my post above (i.e. things in PES that were a bit crap back in the day, and are still crap now).

There's just no innovation at all in PES (which is why I'm pinning all my hopes on the reboot). Even when it comes down to licenses.

Someone made this point the other day (really sorry, I can't find who it was now), but... Vive Le Football. A mobile football game. No licenses.

Look at how they present their fake leagues:

V87FMBH.png

If I was tasked with making "fantasy" versions of each league logo, that is exactly what they'd look like. I prefer most of them to the real logos. It's only the names, i.e. "Spain League" and "England League", that I don't like - because they're gramatically wrong, for a start.

Compare that to Konami's versions:

pro-evo-crests.png

I hate it. Honestly, I feel that strongly about it. It's so lazy. Like so much of the creative output, and that same "it'll do" attitude seems prevalent across the whole title, with the gameplay just about saving the game, every year. (I know I'm not the first to say it, it's not exactly a "hot take", but it makes me angry to this day.)

I mean, when you look at the team badges:

emblem_0173.png

How is that in any way, shape or form (other than the colour) a Manchester City themed badge?

It's not quirky, it's just shite.

(Sorry, Retro-Pes Corner, don't beat me up... :D)

i totally agree with you... But! if im being honest license shouldnt matter at all, we know that even with licenses we will have patch, so i believe that the best approach that konami could take for future edition should be something like FM, add many leagues and just leave it without the licenses then people will license them but why in the past they gave us a ML with only 16 teams??? what the f*ck? give the user flexibility to create a league as they want, modding community is a fact and all of them knows it, just give us the modding easier and nobody will bother konami with legal actions, only to modders xD

I'm fiddling with the idea of a WE9 1998 World Cup OF and testing some things, clearly the uniforms aren't working for me, and...wait, what's that, a dog plays for Cameroon?

dog.jpg

I wish I had a better screengrab of him shaking hands before the match, but I was too busy crying with laughter.

Group B Fixture 2 matches are done, can Russia come back from that 6-0 hammering against Belgium and can Belgium cope without a 'blue arrow' Lukaku?

Denmark (me) v Belgium
Russia v Finland (me)

Here is the table...

988B70FA-F5AE-4718-AE10-64AF54ADD0D8.jpeg

I loved this patient 16 pass move by the 'CPU controlled' Belgium, the CPU in PES2008 can be human like at times. Belgium's just toying with me :LOL:

Great stuff! :)

Great stuff @Flipper the Priest :) That Portugal v France game was a bit of a classic. Don’t know about you but i am loving playing the EUROs. Sounds silly but I am actually feeling really involved with the tournament. I was watching Belgium v Wales in real life tonight and i’m getting confused between what’s real and what aint! :LOL:

Great stuff @Flipper the Priest :) That Portugal v France game was a bit of a classic. Don’t know about you but i am loving playing the EUROs. Sounds silly but I am actually feeling really involved with the tournament. I was watching Belgium v Wales in real life tonight and i’m getting confused between what’s real and what aint! :LOL:

Gradually feeling that way as the knockout stages got closer. Certainly seeing it as preparation for the real thing. I love major international tournaments but I'm a bit out the loop with football outside of Scotland, so playing with these teams and players is a bit of an education!

Hello, is there any good OF or patch (preferably original season) for ISS Pro Evo 2 available?

Funnily enough, I'm currently editing an ISO. Purely real player and team names. I don't know how to do anything else with the editing tool! :LOL:

I think I've completed it, actually, and just need to test it if you're interested? I've been testing it throughout on ePSXe and it's worked.

Funnily enough, I'm currently editing an ISO. Purely real player and team names. I don't know how to do anything else with the editing tool! :LOL:

I think I've completed it, actually, and just need to test it if you're interested? I've been testing it throughout on ePSXe and it's worked.
Sounds great, send me a PM please

Random thing that has just come to mind. The special ability "Lines" has the description: "Improves offence and defence along the offside line. Executes well-timed dashes.". I noticed that it mentions defence, but no defenders in the default OF (and various other OFs I've come across) use this for defenders. Is this a mis-translation by Konami or is it useful for defenders too? I would guess not as we have "D-Line control" for defenders but curious if anyone else has noticed this.

I've often wondered about that I think I would lean towards mis-translation. I remember Seabass said in the PES 5 guide that 1-Touch Pass was a mis-translation and is in fact 1-Touch Shot!

@goalgerd

Great stuff with the Holland video! I've always thought it's a shame that the Aggression can't be tied to the player's position as well, I always found it annoying when you have players that play two positions, say CB and CM, the aggression will likely only be ideal for one of his positions. How high did you set those aggression values for the defenders?

Last edited:
its based on shollyms classic patches, ive just added new teams from this century and totally rebuilt the gameplay from scratch, also updated the boots, balls ,stadiums and kits

Heres some AI V AI Gameplay, Fabinhos had a mare ... (apologies for bad sound)

That is really fantastic stuff indeed

The thing that bogs me is who made the decision to let the ball everytime enters the net has to ripple back out of the net and not stay inside, this takes away a lot of the goal scoring joy that i was used to in the ps2 gen games..this needs to return in the next version

I've often wondered about that I think I would lean towards mis-translation. I remember Seabass said in the PES 5 guide that 1-Touch Pass was a mis-translation and is in fact 1-Touch Shot!

I wish I'd known this before! I have often muttered grumpily when players who are supposedly adept at playing first time balls lost it by taking a touch to control it first, failing to complete a one-two in a tight space.

I'm playing the hell out of MLS GameNight and ISS Pro Evo 1. Truly wonderful football games, I'm asking why I have never tried them until 20 years later

Back
Top Bottom