The Retro-PES Corner

@geeeeee Next up the stress of watching an England tournament game :LOL: Yeah that was a quick demise from Southend from a couple of years ago. I was looking at the National League the other day, it's like Div 4 from years back with the likes of Stockport, Torquay, Wrexham and so on! As to the anxieties I think possibly the promotion one's, possibly because the last day one's have fortunately turned out well, sometimes from seemingly impossible positions!

I used to get really nervous when England were playing in World Cup’s etc…

I remember even crying (Gazza’s tears) when they were knocked out of 1990 World Cup. But i was only young then and used to watch all the build up, training sessions, etc…

But in 2004 some changes were made in my life (sounds deep i know) and i managed to root out any nationalistic pride that i had in life and also during national games.

So thankfully i avoid those feelings now during World Cups etc…but still get it bad during club games. :(

So the last two quarter final matches of the EUROs. Sorry @Flipper the Priest I didnt mean it to clash with your one. Interestingly, Denmark have already got the semis and England are featured in the quarters. Pretty similar to your tournament. :)

Spain (me) v England

Poland (me) v Italy

One thing a little annoying is that the team line up is not always shown during the build up to the matches. So I have to record the formation screen instead.

Since Konami seems not to want to bring PES 4 on GameRanger, I created a Discord group for players in Europe (or near) to have some matches every now and then. Should anyone be interested, please join here https://discord.gg/y9Aj4U6FKK

Last edited:
I used to get really nervous when England were playing in World Cup’s etc…

I remember even crying (Gazza’s tears) when they were knocked out of 1990 World Cup. But i was only young then and used to watch all the build up, training sessions, etc…

But in 2004 some changes were made in my life (sounds deep i know) and i managed to root out any nationalistic pride that i had in life and also during national games.

So thankfully i avoid those feelings now during World Cups etc…but still get it bad during club games. :(

So the last two quarter final matches of the EUROs. Sorry @Flipper the Priest I didnt mean it to clash with your one. Interestingly, Denmark have already got the semis and England are featured in the quarters. Pretty similar to your tournament. :)

Spain (me) v England

Poland (me) v Italy

One thing a little annoying is that the team line up is not always shown during the build up to the matches. So I have to record the formation screen instead.

Always room for retro content, regardless of time. @rockstrongo's faves doing th business in both tournaments, it seems!

My relationship with international football is rocky. First tournament I was really into was USA 94. Scotland weren't there but that was seen as exceptional at the time. World Cups and Euros were the norm.

And then nothing from Euro 2000 to Euro 2020.

In that time I fell out of love with it. Fed up of bang average players I didn't know. Or Celtic and Rangers players I knew and despised! Clawed back some pride under Alex McLeish and Walter Smith and that got some fire back in the belly but that was short-lived. And despite their glowing reputation, diehard Scotland fans are wankers. Sanctimonious pricks who try to uphold some sort of unwritten code of conduct.

I thought I'd lost all interest and then lo and behold I have tears in my eyes when David Marshall saved that penalty in November. Steve Clarke has a decent, diverse and likeable squad - I'm back in the game!

@Flipper the Priest the timing of this mate,my gf who works in Copenhagen just sent me this fine representation of a stellar Dane.
Got your red and white dynamite right there!

View attachment 100019

John Jensen's let himself go.

@geeeeee I must admit I struggle to get interested in the National team now, generally full of players who because they play in the Premier League think they are way better than they are. I always say let's imagine for a moment that all the money goes to the Spanish League and all the wealthiest and so called 'big' clubs are in Spain, exactly how many English players would be signed by those clubs? Very few.

It'll be interesting to see how England get on at the Euros this summer, as they have a really talented squad with some intriguing players. Though I think Southgate is an average (at best) manager, the players do seem to play for him and that's not nothing. I'm American and by no means an England fan, but growing up, any media consumption opportunities I had with the game was through an English lens, so I'm well-versed in the hype and struggles you guys have had over the years. This group that's come up under Southgate's watch has been different than the others, and seem to genuinely like each other despite club rivalries, so I think it'll be fun to watch them. Plus, any excuse to hear "World in Motion" more often, the better.

@Flipper the Priest Scotland fans are wankers and sanctimonious pricks? Wow! Their reputation (and image abroad) suggests differently. I guess maybe it's been a while since you guys have been at an international tournament (no shot intended), but I remember everyone loving the kilts and orange-haired wigs and taking them on as a beloved 2nd team, if only just for the entertainment. I'd probably agree say my own national team fans are not my cup of tea, either (there's something about getting all American'd up that these days seems cringey).

John Jensen's let himself go.

@geeeeee I must admit I struggle to get interested in the National team now, generally full of players who because they play in the Premier League think they are way better than they are. I always say let's imagine for a moment that all the money goes to the Spanish League and all the wealthiest and so called 'big' clubs are in Spain, exactly how many English players would be signed by those clubs? Very few.
I agree!
Plus,regardless of talent or not,not many British/English players play on the continent.
Maybe language barriers?
Or simply that they'll get paid insanely in the PL,or some other reason.

That's also something that pisses me off when playing FIFA,suddenly you have a lot of former premiership bplayers playing all over in Serie A/Bundesliga/La liga which is pretty unrealistic.

I'm not following my national team either,most football fans over here (not counting the event supporters and various non hard core fans) just support their clubs.
Can't imagine ending up on a stand with supporters from my rivals at a national teams game.
Just weird.
Edit: sorry didn't realise that I answered something meant for @geeeeee

Last edited:
@Buzzy Being Swedish and having a lot of football culture coming from England growing up in the 70s ,think most football from abroad and from a cultural standpoint comes from South America/Italy/France and from our selves nowadays,England has always won the Euros/WC before it even got started,especially from their own media,but also from foreign media,regardless on how good or bad they've been before starting the tournament.
Which is pretty strange,since you have both Germany and France,plus a few other strong nations (Portugal/Spain/Croatia) that don't really get the same mentions.

You know what they say "football is a game of 11 Vs 11 and in the end Germany wins"

Last edited:
@rockstrongo

I could never understand how we always thought we could win a tournament when teams such as your own always gave us a good game. For years i looked on Sweden as our hard to beat, lucky if we get a draw team.

When people used to start banging the hype drum for England, (with all due respect) i would ask them "do you think Sweden could win it?" to which the reply would normally be no. So if we struggle against Sweden, who can't win it (by their reckoning), how are we going to win it?

I must say though the expectation for the 2018 WC was at an all time low, no one expected us to get out of the group stages, then there we were in the semis. That'll be about another 20 years before the next one then. :D

I think all the hype is most probably due to the English teams doing well in Europe with big money players, but they all seem to forget the high proportion of foreign players in those teams are not English and in a tournament become the opposition. To the rest of us we can look at it differently but to deluded fans and the media it gets them hyped.

Scotland have had a few good laugh's over the years at "England expects" and rightly so, they go to tournaments and enjoy the occasion, not have daft ideas about winning it. As you may have guessed i am more club than country. :D

@Buzzy felt like we played England every Euro/WC:)
For us in Scandinavia we always laugh at Norway,even Finland an Iceland qualifies to championships,not them though (yet).
Don't think they've played in any since -98.

Feel that the Euros this time around will be weird with all the different venues.
I always enjoy watching it, regardless off which countries that are in.

@rockstrongo

I like how the final is at Wembley.. Shame we wont be there :LOL: As you say Germany usually win. Take the 2002 WC qualifiers, when we beat Germany 5-1 in

Munich, who at the time were pretty bad, but still managed to qualify and finished runners up. Got to be worth an e/w bet for euro 2020 2021.

I must say though the expectation for the 2018 WC was at an all time low, no one expected us to get out of the group stages, then there we were in the semis. That'll be about another 20 years before the next one then. :D

I do think we were extremely fortunate to get to the semi finals with a draw we couldn't have hand picked much better. Also when you look back at it we played three decent teams. Colombia, missing James Rodriguez, we beat on penalties, we lost to Croatia and got beaten by Belgium A and then Belgium B. Bizarrely I think we lost more games than we've probably ever lost at a world cup :LOL:

I like how the final is at Wembley.. Shame we wont be there :LOL: As you say Germany usually win. Take the 2002 WC qualifiers, when we beat Germany 5-1 in

Plus with var now we can't even bring a friendly linesman with us :D

I think 1998 under Hoddle was the last time I genuinely thought we had a real chance. If he hadn't gone a bit do lally for a spell and kept in the job I think we might have had a win sometime over the next couple of Euro's and World Cup tournaments. We are loaded with young attacking talent and iffy at the back as always so playing attacking football is surely our best bet but no doubt he'll find a way to shoehorn Dier into the team. We've got two great attacking right backs in James and Alexander-Arnold and I bet he'll start Trippier. He was at that United game last night, if he doesn't pick Alexander-Arnold after that performance then he needs to go now.

As we know though, ultimately we go out once we meet someone decent!.

@rockstrongo

Munich, who at the time were pretty bad, but still managed to qualify and finished runners up. Got to be worth an e/w bet for euro 2020 2021.
Remember that game, so nice I have some sort of "support" for Liverpool I've always considered that Germany 1-5 Liverpool:)

I was looking through the PES 5 files recently because I wanna learn how to edit them and going through flag files has revealed some interesting neat thingies.

First of all I think they were going for PES 3/4 flag format at first - there are files with 22x15 and 64x48 resolution. What truly peaked my interest is teams in Others A, there's so many different things in there I compiled some interesting ones on a very quick graphic:

Logos.jpg

What could the other teams be? I wish we could find out 🐑

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Is there any classic patch with PSD stats added? For whatever Retro PES games

I was looking through the PES 5 files recently because I wanna learn how to edit them and going through flag files has revealed some interesting neat thingies.

First of all I think they were going for PES 3/4 flag format at first - there are files with 22x15 and 64x48 resolution. What truly peaked my interest is teams in Others A, there's so many different things in there I compiled some interesting ones on a very quick graphic:

View attachment 100273

What could the other teams be? I wish we could find out 🐑

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
5th image in 1st line, from left to right, is a sepia alternation of Athenakos (aka Panathinaikos FC), the rest are too small and i cannot figure out, i think the 2nd one is Club Brugge???

As for Arsenal/Chelsea, North London/London FC i assume they did the preparation, in case they could not obtain the official license for them. The same for Djurgadren possibly?

Fun fact: Golympiacos seems more accurate for Olympiakos than Peloponissos, cause Pelopnissos is a different geographic region. To give you an example is like you want to name a team from London with a fake name, and you name them Yorkshire!

Last edited:
5th image in 1st line, from left to right, is a sepia alternation of Athenakos (aka Panathinaikos FC), the rest are too small and i cannot figure out, i think the 2nd one is Club Brugge???

As for Arsenal/Chelsea, North London/London FC i assume they did the preparation, in case they could not obtain the official license for them. The same for Djurgadren possibly?

Fun fact: Golympiacos seems more accurate for Olympiakos than Peloponissos, cause Pelopnissos is a different geographic region. To give you an example is like you want to name a team from London with a fake name, and you name them Yorkshire!

On Greek team names, I meant to pick your brain after hearing something during FA Cup final commentary.

AEK Athens, for example. Is it an acronym or initialism? I've always thought the latter, and pronounced the letters individually, "ey ee kay Athens". But I've heard people - like the commentator today - pronounce it as a word ie "Ike Athens". Which is correct?

I may have asked this before and forgotten the answer! It's relevant to clubs in other countries if others want to jump in on the AIKs or CSKAs of this world!

On Greek team names, I meant to pick your brain after hearing something during FA Cup final commentary.

AEK Athens, for example. Is it an acronym or initialism? I've always thought the latter, and pronounced the letters individually, "ey ee kay Athens". But I've heard people - like the commentator today - pronounce it as a word ie "Ike Athens". Which is correct?

I may have asked this before and forgotten the answer! It's relevant to clubs in other countries if others want to jump in on the AIKs or CSKAs of this world!
After a quick Google search, to check whats acronym and initialism in English language, it is an Acronym. It is pronounced as it is written exaclty , as one word, AEK (Alpha-Echo-Kilo), with the intonation in A, like "ÁEK".

It comes from greek words A.thlitikí É.nosis K.onstadinoupόleos meaning Athletic Union of Constantinople in English.

I dont know if it can help, it is pronounced as in this video in 00:07 to 00:09 (shouts AEK three times)

Last edited:

well thats konami for you innit

at least they tried! better than xoaquaiovoyi and other arlstgdnsoha crap. I also thought Golympiacos logo looks a bit nicer, colour wise.

Would be quite a big thing to have your fake name changed mid-series, only example I can think of is Bayern going from Rekordmeister (what a name) to Isar in PES 5.

With CSKA and other teams from the Slav Zone I believe it's always individual letters. Mind you there will still be massive difference in pronunciation as the sounds are just incredibly different. CSKA would be, IIRC, in Russian, tse-es-ka-a, but Russian's bit different to Polish so might be wrong.

Sometimes acronym turns into a nickname. Several Polish teams with GKS (Mining Sports Club) change fro gie-ka-es (letters) to gieksa, lots easier to pronounce I suppose.

Either way it can get weird between languages. I remember trying to explain someone at work that I worked at DHL before. For me it's de-ha-el so I said that and they just look funny at me. Then I realized it's probably dee - eytsch - ell and lo and behold it was.

TL;DR willing to bet 99% of the time its individual letters in Slavic countries.

well thats konami for you innit

at least they tried! better than xoaquaiovoyi and other arlstgdnsoha crap. I also thought Golympiacos logo looks a bit nicer, colour wise.

Would be quite a big thing to have your fake name changed mid-series, only example I can think of is Bayern going from Rekordmeister (what a name) to Isar in PES 5.

With CSKA and other teams from the Slav Zone I believe it's always individual letters. Mind you there will still be massive difference in pronunciation as the sounds are just incredibly different. CSKA would be, IIRC, in Russian, tse-es-ka-a, but Russian's bit different to Polish so might be wrong.

Sometimes acronym turns into a nickname. Several Polish teams with GKS (Mining Sports Club) change fro gie-ka-es (letters) to gieksa, lots easier to pronounce I suppose.

Either way it can get weird between languages. I remember trying to explain someone at work that I worked at DHL before. For me it's de-ha-el so I said that and they just look funny at me. Then I realized it's probably dee - eytsch - ell and lo and behold it was.

TL;DR willing to bet 99% of the time its individual letters in Slavic countries.
CSKA we greeks prounce it similar as you said, "tse-se-kά". DHL we spell it in english initials, "dee-eytsch-elll"
@Flipper the Priest forgot to menthion just in case, Constantinople=Istanbul.

Also @Saint Angelo 2nd fun fact of KONAMI trying hard!!!! There is a fake team in PES 2014 to 2017 and PES 2019 but in OTHERS ASIA section in 2019 as a filler, named MYTHLOXANTHI. Basically it is supposed to be fake club from Cyprus!!!!, but "Mythlo" does not exist as Greek word. Xanthi on the other hand, pronounced " Ksán-thee" is a small city in North-east Greece. :)

3rd fun fact, the other Greek fake team, XAKOULAGOS, also does not make sense. -LAGOS if you intonate in Lagόs means rabbit. If you intonate Lάgos, there is a coastal small place near Xanthi City, named Porto Lάgos, so i assume the guy in KONAMI responsible to name the greek fake teams, was lazy to zoom in propely to Greece in google maps, and he picked the first significat places he found , after scrolling his mouse wheel!! :P

Finally, since we got the education sessions, FC St. PAULI is fully named Saint Pauli or Sankt Pauli as it is spelled in wikipedia? Is "Saint Pauli" correct
pronounce?

And finally-finally, @Saint Angelo maybe again need your help,Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade), how does the Serbian typing pronounced in English accent?:shiver:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom