The Retro-PES Corner

@slamsoze I really miss that kind of immersion in a career mode. I've actually got PES 2012 installed but I don't know what patch I've got, or if it's compatible with changing the EXE version, or where to get different EXE versions from, or anything...

@slamsoze I really miss that kind of immersion in a career mode. I've actually got PES 2012 installed but I don't know what patch I've got, or if it's compatible with changing the EXE version, or where to get different EXE versions from, or anything...
Do not imagine though, some human revolutionary interaction. There are always 3 standard answers and 1 of them makes player happy, while other 2 angry. It is in infant level. Although, if they keeped developing it, they could reach a better level, some FM pre2007 communication would be bearable, for a non-managerial Real Time football game.

Also i would love to see an emotional rehab in that system. IE: i tell my player to go "make love" himself, he is disappointed all season, then i am out of options and i use him in a crucial match, he scores a definition hat-trick and we are friends again!! :) Just dreaming!!!

As for the version, i do not have any knowledge other. I think i found the PESEDIT 4.1 patch, in the same page @MafiaMurderBag got his patch for his EURO 2012 Youtube video. But i went through a phising nightmare, after i skipped 2 addfly pages, a link opened a notepad, that had 3 links, that only 1 of 3 was working. IIRC again cause it was a long safari to find something working.

Finally about version again. My abandon-ware version, a DVD-image in my HDD, brings the 1.01 version. I assume if i put my physical disc, it will come with 1.01, either 1.00. I avoid using my PES 2012 physical DVD to avoid scratches.

Typically every patch states, which version is compatible with, or it states if it is AIO and does not need specific game version, or i understand something completelly wrong.

In my case, i used my 2012 abondon-ware version, played my game Unedited-UNpatched, loved the matches, then i patched it, it became full-patched, i think Datapack is 4.0 . Now i have all teams with kits/logos official, but i do not like 100% the gameplay, i find it different and i have the side effects like Boca and River play in Champions League/Europa League.

Last edited:
And finally a theory again,about those disc VS abandon-ware versions, maybe DVDs bring also the 1.01 versions. What i remember clearly from PES 2011 early days, i bought it day-one , it used to have a bug in cursor change in defense, it used to give you a midfielder player, when you changed cursor while defending early crosses.

I do not remember if it was from Demo->Full Game or from 1.00-> First Monster Patch Update. But i remember it was fixed finally. I mean bringing the vanilla versions without patches, may bring back again such type of mini-bugs.

If i remember correctly, The way the 2011 to 2013 games worked in regards to games versions is they are tied to the DLC or downloaded data for those games so if you tried to paste an older exe with downloaded data from a newer version, You would get compatibility issues and errors everywhere.

The later the PESEdit patch the better compatibility you have because it automatically installs the latest downloaded data. But to be fair i never experimented with older exes much because i was always satisfied with the gameplay.

I might be wrong though so please don't quote me on the above but from my experience, messing around with the exes especially in total game patches like PESEdit's seems to totally screw up how the patch and game function, As in they've structured the patch to work out the box universally for a reason.

They were always really polished with their work. Like a developer optimising a game to work for all kinds of users right off the bat.

I hope you don't have mate. I had a gamebreaking once, .EXE crashing on 7 January while advancing date to 8th January. It was one of my most imersing ML saves ever, as i was fighting to avoid relegation with HSV, first time in my ML history was close to relegation. And i had succeded some awesome deals that January..

The wierd part was, after i did some tests, that in other saves i had in Professional Level, it never crashed. It was crashed only in Top Player! I hope it was just me.

But in other news, and if i have the time needed, i would be interested to learn to edit the game myself like @mattmid, in order to be more versatile. Those modes in that years, 2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 have so much depth, that keeps me engaged, even if i do not like the gameplay 100%. Even the regen system which is broken by core, works so much better in these versions, with the academy level, etc!

P.S: Dude No10 in my teams, is not even for R. Carlos.. Only AMF living gods can wear it, like Rivaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Kaka', etc... :) In different case it stays empty!!

I usually keep going two, or even more frequently three distint save slots with slightly different date descrepancies for my ML when it become "serious" (yeah, I'm not normal, I know). Hope in case will be enough to protect me from it.

For the rest.. yeah, completely agree, 09/13 aged so damn fine even they all have some glaring (but usually not gamebreaking) flaw here and there. ML had some great personality back then, no doubt about it. The perception is probably also partially amplified by the absolute lack of depth and soul in modes of 14 onwards.. if you pick a recent ML and you take a look at what it was in 2010, it's shocking how they managed to strip it down to the dull bone it is.

Been away from gaming altogether for a while, but still check up on the forum regularly.
@mattmid: Fabio Silva has potential, I don't deny it, but paying 40M for a guy who hasn't done anything significant on pro football is nuts to me. Not even against the Tondelas and the Moreirenses was he useful for us last year. Yet, of course he's very young, and it's frustrating to see that we can't really build up our squad anymore without selling our youngsters early on.

@Madmac79: I've seen little of Queirós but I believe your beloved Lazio is after the wrong Diogo: Diogo Leite always seemed miles away better. Queirós is the typical Jorge Costa-wannabe that, much like the 170cm-lean-hardworking-cant-kick-a-ball-hard-enough pseudo-João Moutinho combo, has greatly infected youth-level Portuguese football over the last two decades. Jorge Costa-wannabes are like the original: authoritarian, harsh, lack footballing talent but make up for attitude. Only they don't really have the charisma nor the referees who overlooked Costa's bloodthirsty tackles. I've seen dozens of these clones and Benfica's Rúben Dias is the only one who made it out of that list.

Been away from gaming altogether for a while, but still check up on the forum regularly.
@mattmid: Fabio Silva has potential, I don't deny it, but paying 40M for a guy who hasn't done anything significant on pro football is nuts to me. Not even against the Tondelas and the Moreirenses was he useful for us last year. Yet, of course he's very young, and it's frustrating to see that we can't really build up our squad anymore without selling our youngsters early on.

@Madmac79: I've seen little of Queirós but I believe your beloved Lazio is after the wrong Diogo: Diogo Leite always seemed miles away better. Queirós is the typical Jorge Costa-wannabe that, much like the 1,70cm-lean-hardworking-cant-kick-a-ball-hard-enough pseudo-João Moutinho combo, has greatly infected youth-level Portuguese football over the last two decades. Jorge Costa-wannabes are like the original: authoritarian, harsh, lack footballing talent but make up for attitude. Only they don't really have the charisma nor the referees who overlooked Costa's bloodthirsty tackles. I've seen dozens of these clones and Benfica's Rúben Dias is the only one who made it out of that list.

Good to have you back!

I hope our man's doing well. Been a bit quiet lately. Hopefully we can both revel in a Sporting defeat on Thursday evening!

This didn't quite go to plan... Didn't do too badly though, competed relatively well I thought.

@Flipper the Priest: Thanks man! Sporting was scary three or four years ago: if this matchup had happened back then I'd say your Aberdeen had no chances. Nowadays, their squad is much weaker and they're always so inconsistent. I didn't watch the game but despite totally beating Aberdeen on what I call "Portuguese Football" - which is, getting more possession than the opponent while inconsequentially passing it around at the back -, on the actual "Football", there wasn't a lot between them...

@Madmac79: I've seen little of Queirós but I believe your beloved Lazio is after the wrong Diogo: Diogo Leite always seemed miles away better. Queirós is the typical Jorge Costa-wannabe that, much like the 170cm-lean-hardworking-cant-kick-a-ball-hard-enough pseudo-João Moutinho combo, has greatly infected youth-level Portuguese football over the last two decades. Jorge Costa-wannabes are like the original: authoritarian, harsh, lack footballing talent but make up for attitude. Only they don't really have the charisma nor the referees who overlooked Costa's bloodthirsty tackles. I've seen dozens of these clones and Benfica's Rúben Dias is the only one who made it out of that list.

Thanks a lot for this sum up, mate! In the meantime we bought back Hoedt (sic), and Parolo said literally minutes ago that he'll play in the three behind if there is the need (sic), so we'll probably stay as we are in defense. But if the name will ever come back in fashion in the last market days I'll share your description with my fellow supporters :PRAY:.

Also welcome back! Judging by how things are going with the recent or next to come out 2021 footy games, another year full of Retro Pes is most probably at the gates:D!

Appreciate it Mad. This has got to be (by a veeery long margin) the least-hyped year for football gaming ever...? Between PES releasing a kind of "PES2020 Liveware Evolution" (seems to have pleased the fans though) instead of an actual new game and FIFA sleeping at the wheel as usual, enraging millions around the world as usual too, the scene looks...boring. If this isn't the year for people to try out some retro-PES, whilst exploring the glorious catalog of retro games we're blessed to have at our disposal, then they'll never do it!

Meanwhile, I found my good-ol' PSP by accident. Found out it came equipped with Lazoli's Classic OF for PES08; rumours say it is now also filled with a certain PES5, PES11 and the wildcard FIFA06...

It did seem an awful lot particularly based on the fact he didn't do much in our youth league either, where as those who did are treading the first steps into making a name for themselves in the real football world. I'm not entirely convinced that he touched the ball when he came on the other night.

Oh and guess who played in goal for Rochdale last weekend against us? Gavin Bazunu!

Appreciate it Mad. This has got to be (by a veeery long margin) the least-hyped year for football gaming ever...? Between PES releasing a kind of "PES2020 Liveware Evolution" (seems to have pleased the fans though) instead of an actual new game and FIFA sleeping at the wheel as usual, enraging millions around the world as usual too, the scene looks...boring. If this isn't the year for people to try out some retro-PES, whilst exploring the glorious catalog of retro games we're blessed to have at our disposal, then they'll never do it!

Meanwhile, I found my good-ol' PSP by accident. Found out it came equipped with Lazoli's Classic OF for PES08; rumours say it is now also filled with a certain PES5, PES11 and the wildcard FIFA06...
Great to have you back man, I've been looking forward to your musings on the current landscape of Football games. PES 2021 personally i found really enjoyable and of course is drawing comparisons to the aforementioned WE9LE. Only difference is, Is that once WE9LE was released, The developers couldn't f*** with it and it's permanently in a state of acclaim. There's always the fear of their patching culture fetish emerging and they'll tinker with it for the sake of it like an artist who can't seem to put the brush down & fails to recognise the painting is finished before you spoil it with too many touch ups.

I've also embraced FIFA 16 this month and I now appreciate the sentiment that it's one of the greatest football sims ever made. How can you improve on near perfection? If it wasn't a cut throat business that thrived on re-releasing a product that one must feat they won't be trendy if they don't buy it, Then you could happily leave it at FIFA 16 and call it a day at least for 2 years until better tech and a respectable understanding of it comes along. (Which is a transition we're living through at the moment via 2022.)

Great to have you back man, I've been looking forward to your musings on the current landscape of Football games. PES 2021 personally i found really enjoyable and of course is drawing comparisons to the aforementioned WE9LE. Only difference is, Is that once WE9LE was released, The developers couldn't f*** with it and it's permanently in a state of acclaim. There's always the fear of their patching culture fetish emerging and they'll tinker with it for the sake of it like an artist who can't seem to put the brush down & fails to recognise the painting is finished before you spoil it with too many touch ups.

I've also embraced FIFA 16 this month and I now appreciate the sentiment that it's one of the greatest football sims ever made. How can you improve on near perfection? If it wasn't a cut throat business that thrived on re-releasing a product that one must feat they won't be trendy if they don't buy it, Then you could happily leave it at FIFA 16 and call it a day at least for 2 years until better tech and a respectable understanding of it comes along. (Which is a transition we're living through at the moment via 2022.)
fifa 16 the last great fifa even though it wasn't the greatest but it shits on any frostbite fifa thats for sure

@mattmid: that OF was prescient. I'll never forget how we were so impressed with Haaland, talking about him both here on the Corner and in our private conversations, back when he was an absolute nobody.
Fábio Silva reminds me on a classic retro-PES wonderkid: striker Arturo Lupoli. Both totally dominated youth-level football scoring loads of goals; Lupoli's statsheet circa PES4/5 is a carbon copy of real life Fábio Silva. Lupoli was always far from carrying that form over to pro football, I hope Silva doesn't go the same way...because from what I saw last season - and I watched all of his matches -, he's just not ready for pro football at all yet.

@MafiaMurderBag: Thanks MMB, are you still doing your (always wonderful) retro-PES videos?
I see what you mean. In a way, football gaming as we knew it doesn't really exist anymore: they used to release games, now it's demos of demos of demos of a final game that you never get to play. Borrowing from your example, it's like asking a painter to paint my portrait and he'll do his best to come up with a finished product, then I pay him for what I get - an honest deal. Now, after I get his (supposed) finished product, he for some reason has the right to break into my house at the middle of the night, steal the painting, and next morning he comes up and says: "Ah, Mr. Miguel, I took the liberty of adding a nice Hitler moustache and also drew you a unibrow on your portrait. It's totally free of charge though. You're welcome." Yeah, thanks a lot dude.

I've only heard wonderful things about FIFA16, and though I've never played it myself, it seems it's a true (modern) classic. Too bad the Ultimate Team kids will never find out about it, will never experience the amazing mods like @Ciais', only because...it's not popular. If it isn't us old farts talking about these retro gems and about the rich history of these games, no one will...then, the FIFAs and the PESs lose their charm and character and become only mere virtual drugs for literal addicts mindlessly looking for their next high.

@rockstrongo: Boavista are really trying to up their game this season with great signings like Javi García, Adil Rami - both ageing players but in theory could still play for any top tier Portuguese team - Reggie Cannon and particularly former Man Utd youngster Angel Gomez (got 3 assists in the first Liga NOS matchday vs. Nacional!). However, I don't really trust their manager, doesn't feel like the kind of guy who could hold this squad together, as it is so diverse (you have former Internationals like Rami, ex-Man City/Utd players and then you've got the...former Honduran League players, former Desportivo das Aves individuals...and remember, the squad is almost 100% new compared to last season's.

Porto kept pretty much last season's winning team - though this will most likely be Alex Telles last match for us - while improving its offense: Tiquinho Soares left but we got Taremi, who managed to do something I don't think I've ever seen in my lifetime: becoming Liga Nos' top scorer while not playing for any of the Big 3 (Sporting, Benfica or Porto). And he did it on his first season with Rio Ave, which is typically a candidate for the 6th/7th place behind the Big 3, Braga and Guimarães. We have all it takes to be very competitive again this season, providing we don't sell Jesús Corona (cursed name) nor Danilo Pereira...

I expect a somewhat comfortable win tonight for us.

--
It shall be an interesting season really. Benfica has invested massively not only bringing back Jorge Jesus but also acquiring the likes of Vertonghen, Waldschmidt, Darwin Nuñez and Everton. Sporting has gone back to its roots and is betting on its youngsters - because they don't really have money for anything else. Somehow they found enough to agree to pay 15M for Rúben Amorim, Braga's former manager, though...Braga is keeping all of their best players while adding the likes of Nico Gaitán - they've been trying for a decade now to enter the fight for the Liga NOS title but it hasn't really worked so far. Then, you have Famalicão and Guimarães building their rosters based on young players from all over the world and should be exciting to watch for that reason. As usual, besides maybe Rio Ave or Boavista, the rest of the league will be focusing on avoiding relegation, which always provides loads of drama throughout the season.

Apologize for the off-topic :P

@rockstrongo: Boavista are really trying to up their game this season with great signings like Javi García, Adil Rami - both ageing players but in theory could still play for any top tier Portuguese team - Reggie Cannon and particularly former Man Utd youngster Angel Gomez (got 3 assists in the first Liga NOS matchday vs. Nacional!). However, I don't really trust their manager, doesn't feel like the kind of guy who could hold this squad together, as it is so diverse (you have former Internationals like Rami, ex-Man City/Utd players and then you've got the...former Honduran League players, former Desportivo das Aves individuals...and remember, the squad is almost 100% new compared to last season's.

Porto kept pretty much last season's winning team - though this will most likely be Alex Telles last match for us - while improving its offense: Tiquinho Soares left but we got Taremi, who managed to do something I don't think I've ever seen in my lifetime: becoming Liga Nos' top scorer while not playing for any of the Big 3 (Sporting, Benfica or Porto). And he did it on his first season with Rio Ave, which is typically a candidate for the 6th/7th place behind the Big 3, Braga and Guimarães. We have all it takes to be very competitive again this season, providing we don't sell Jesús Corona (cursed name) nor Danilo Pereira...

I expect a somewhat comfortable win tonight for us.

--
It shall be an interesting season really. Benfica has invested massively not only bringing back Jorge Jesus but also acquiring the likes of Vertonghen, Waldschmidt, Darwin Nuñez and Everton. Sporting has gone back to its roots and is betting on its youngsters - because they don't really have money for anything else. Somehow they found enough to agree to pay 15M for Rúben Amorim, Braga's former manager, though...Braga is keeping all of their best players while adding the likes of Nico Gaitán - they've been trying for a decade now to enter the fight for the Liga NOS title but it hasn't really worked so far. Then, you have Famalicão and Guimarães building their rosters based on young players from all over the world and should be exciting to watch for that reason. As usual, besides maybe Rio Ave or Boavista, the rest of the league will be focusing on avoiding relegation, which always provides loads of drama throughout the season.

Apologize for the off-topic :P
Very nice having this league to follow tbh.
Seeing Portugal as perhaps the best team in Europe atm,it's always nice seeing new talents popping up

@miguelfcp It seems to me that the Liga NOS' best pay per view model would be to charge per completed pass. :) Translate that to Portsmouth and I'd get all the games for free :LOL: Oh and Angel Gomes, another one from the youth file!

@MafiaMurderBag: Thanks MMB, are you still doing your (always wonderful) retro-PES videos?
I see what you mean. In a way, football gaming as we knew it doesn't really exist anymore: they used to release games, now it's demos of demos of demos of a final game that you never get to play. Borrowing from your example, it's like asking a painter to paint my portrait and he'll do his best to come up with a finished product, then I pay him for what I get - an honest deal. Now, after I get his (supposed) finished product, he for some reason has the right to break into my house at the middle of the night, steal the painting, and next morning he comes up and says: "Ah, Mr. Miguel, I took the liberty of adding a nice Hitler moustache and also drew you a unibrow on your portrait. It's totally free of charge though. You're welcome." Yeah, thanks a lot dude.
I sure am, I've just finished my World Cup 2014 pilgrimage on PES 2013. A truly incredible game and after spending 64 games on it i can understand why it's the PES 6 of the the last gen. I personally think 2012 is a better simulation but it's traded off in 2013 with more animations, Better responsiveness and some truly incredible PES magic we've all come to love, As always these tournaments tell their own story. Another really enjoyable journey for me.[/QUOTE]

I'll leave a link to a playlist for the entire WC 2014 series.

I've only heard wonderful things about FIFA16, and though I've never played it myself, it seems it's a true (modern) classic. Too bad the Ultimate Team kids will never find out about it, will never experience the amazing mods like @Ciais', only because...it's not popular. If it isn't us old farts talking about these retro gems and about the rich history of these games, no one will...then, the FIFAs and the PESs lose their charm and character and become only mere virtual drugs for literal addicts mindlessly looking for their next high.
Yes it's about as predictable each passing year as an injury time goal at Old Trafford. The cycle continues with the social commentary on FIFA 21 being that it's the same old or that FIFA 20 is a demo for FIFA 21 and other roasting's.

They'll still buy it though, EA will still laugh and print money but it's demographic aren't playing their games because they're seeking out footballing bliss, They're playing it because they're addicted to the high of winning at all costs in general. It could be any game that provides this high but for them their taste is one based on Football.

Up to 16 these games still had credibility and still tried to cater to 2 kinds of audiences, Similar to how PES tried to cater to simulation and newcomers on the PS2, carefully respecting that balance.

They used to Football games, Now they're just games based on football.

Really Enjoying Using the Total European patch by @adams06 Some of the teams and how they are playing making every game feel unique and are surprising me what teams are beating other teams I would totally recommend it to all that like Retro teams From different eras and of course People who love Pes6 Many thanks once again to @adams06
Btw Here is the latest episode Path 3 of 16 who will make win the path and make it to the last 16 group stage??

Currently playing WE6FE with the WEDoIT patch and just wondering, is there still a tool out there to edit the player database?

Lots of players are in weird places and the teams require a ton of editing to get them right.

Also does anyone know what to do about WE8: Asia Championship not displaying anything beyond the PS2 logo splash screen in PCSX2?

Last edited:
Currently playing WE6FE with the WEDoIT patch and just wondering, is there still a tool out there to edit the player database?

Lots of players are in weird places and the teams require a ton of editing to get them right.

Also does anyone know what to do about WE8: Asia Championship not displaying anything beyond the PS2 logo splash screen in PCSX2?
Which version of PCSX2 are you using for WE8 Asia Championship?

And PCSX2 is currently not supporting the Chinese version of WE8 Asia Championship, so you need the Japanese version (haven't tested Korean version).

Interesting take on comparison of PES 2021 to WE9LE. I've played PES 21 and still enjoying it, which has not been the case for recent PES's since 17. You think this one has weight to keep people coming back to play?

It's ages since I did an update on my current ML. To remind anyone who is interested, it's PES 5, my team is called Hurricanes and I shall resume where I left off in 2008, the fourth year of my playthrough.

I finished my last post in early 2008 saying Huylens was scoring with decent regularity despite my team's rocky form. Well, things went downhill from there. I still won some games, but struggled a lot and my scoring record in the second half of the season was atrocious. I mainly stuck with Huylens up front, sometimes giving other strikers a start in his place, but nothing seemed to work. Huylens played some good games in terms of passing and setting others up, and I was still getting a decent number of wins, but he went at least 15 games (in a 30 game season) without scoring. I barely got any goals out of my other strikers either, with the modest handful of goals I was getting coming from midfielders. Having won the UEFA cup in 2007, I reached the knockout phase of the CL only to go out at the first hurdle. I did manage to reach the final of the D1 cup, but after a good start against Ajax they got their act together and beat me 3-1.

My shaky form fell off a cliff in the last few games, meaning I finished 5th. I believe it was Ajax who won the league this season. Juve took the CL, but I forget who won the Uefa Cup. Huylens was my top scorer this year, finishing with 6 but remarkably being joined on the same number by an impressive Espimas. The league top scorer was Farfan of PSV, with 17.

2009 went a little better; Huylens ended as top scorer in the league with a modest 12, the same as a few other strikers, but my overall GS (Goals Scored) was better and the Hurricanes recorded their best tally yet of 45 league goals. Hamsun, an infrequent starter, actually accrued 9 due to a good early season spurt of form that he failed to maintain (though to be fair to him I continued to favour Huylens, and the latter had more opportunities to shine). I progressed as far as the semis in the D1 cup (Bayern won it against PSG), but for the first time I didn't get past the qualifying group for the CL (which was won by Arsenal against Juve). That was, perhaps, a blessing in disguise, as I went on to lift the UEFA cup for the second time. I had a thrilling semi-final with Roma, in which I came back from a 3-1 away defeat to thrash them 5-0 in the second leg, a fantastic occasion in which Ximilez scored his first ever hat trick for me (I don't usually score with him, and that is probably the only hat trick I have ever achieved with him in any PES game!). I then went on to comfortably beat Newcastle 3-0 in the final. They had a few moments, with Brian Laudrup and Owen up front having some close efforts, but I dominated most of the game and when Laudrup was visibly slowing late on, I knew I had it in the bag. The final goal came in the last ten minutes, sealing victory. Two of the goals came from Macco on the right wing.

Ordaz was the top scorer in both the D1 cup and the Uefa cup. The league top scorer was, as I said, Huylens. The league title itself was taken by PSV ahead of Bayern, who edged past me late on after I again struggled with poor performances, though I couldn't have caught PSV. I finished third, then.

This was Minanda's last season; he managed 20 goals, 21 assists in 128 appearances. Having scored 6 league goals in both 2006 and 2007, he only managed 3 in each of the two subsequent years, suffering from the lack of confidence and form that plagued the whole team.

Over the summer I also let Iouga go rather than renew his contract, having become increasingly frustrated with his performances in the DMF position. I didn't however buy direct replacements for either him or Minanda, preferring to buy Virota (Austrian full back, I believe he starts for one of the few fictional teams in the game) to provide the ageing Valeny with extra cover.

I drew my opening game 0-0 with a decent performance against Bayern, who had been looking less powerful in recent seasons yet still a top club. I was not displeased, given my bad end to the previous year, but wanted to reinvigorate the side. I tweaked the midfield a little bit, moving the DMF over to the right slightly, almost directly behind my CM who would now be instructed to move to either the left or right as he saw fit when on the attack. I also gave attacking directional movement instructions to my AMF and the LWF (who I had also tucked in a bit closer to my CF). This seemed to have the desired effect, giving me more dynamic movement and variety in midfield, allowing me to string moves together and trouble opposing defences more often.

I started getting better and better in the first half the season, getting into first place after half a dozen matches while my opponents couldn't seem to get a run of wins going. Newly promoted FC Utrecht ruffled feathers by winning their first four league games, but promptly failed to win another game for the next 19 weeks of play, plummeting down the table in the process. I had a wonderful victory over Ajax about eight games in; when we were both promoted at the end of 2005, Ajax went on to struggle a bit in their first top flight year, but from 2007 onward they became contenders first for European slots and then the title itself, and almost always beat me in our encounters. Even when I took the lead, they would usually surge back and rapidly smash in 2 or 3 goals with their 4-3-3 formation. Rosales was a key player, pacy and skilful I just couldn't deal with him. This time, however, I started scoring, and didn't stop! It ended 5-2, with their goals coming quite late. It was the first of two hat-tricks this season for Huylens. Rosales, incidentally, only came on late as a sub.

All was not perfect, however. I failed to qualify for the main CL group stage for the second year running, unbelievably. A lack of goals was the issue, and I narrowly missed out on points I was expecting to get. Nonetheless, I was upbeat at the halfway stage, having knocked Borussia Dortmund out of the cup in an enjoyable first round meeting (I took them lightly in the second leg, having won the first 2-0, and they beat me 4-3 on home turf with some smashing goals from both sides) and I found myself at the top of the table, five points ahead of Monaco. Monaco, Rhone, Bayern, Ajax, Sporting Lisbon and PSV were all looking like possible contenders at this stage of the season, all of us seesawing a bit with each unexpected draw or defeat. I perhaps became a bit complacent at this point as I was a bit more consistent than the rest, and had followed up the triumph over Ajax with a 5-0 trouncing of Rhone a few weeks later.

I ignored the opportunity to buy more talent over the Christmas break, and forged on with the title in my sights. I beat Bayern 1-0 with a Valeny header from a corner, before drawing with lowly FC Porto. However, I beat PSV for the second time this season (1-0 and 2-1), and had some more good results, including a 5-1 win over PSG. That proved to be the high point of my season, however. In the last 10 games, I won four, lost four and drew two. Over the same period, PSV won every single game. The inconsistency that had buffered me all season was gone, at least for PSV and Monaco who also came good late on, and I again flopped late on, finishing third, PSV taking the title ahead of Monaco. I feel pretty deflated, having felt I was destined to win the title this year.

I was knocked out of the D1 cup QF in extra time by Ajax due to late goals from Rosenberg, who scored all 3 against me over the two legs. I had been 2-1 up until the 90th minute of the second leg, and rued missed chances in a game I had had the best of. The final was won by Rhone against Bayern. I then lost against Bayern in the UEFA cup semis 4-3 on aggregate. In the first leg I was very clumsy, and my players seemed determined not to understand which way to run which didn't help. Bayern were on fire, and won 3-0. It could have been more, but I was lucky. I rallied in the second half but couldn't get an away goal. In the second leg I was brilliant, especially early on, with young Roby Baggio netting a hat-trick in the first half. Sadly, I lost possession late in the game and they scored, meaning I would have needed another two to go through. They went on to lose their second final of the year, 2-0 to Real Madrid. Ordaz finished top scorer in both the D1 cup and UEFA cup, though with just 3 goals in one and 4 in the other (level with Baggio), it felt only a modest achievement. That said, the Spaniard has accrued an impressive 20 goals in all European competition over the last four seasons, and 12 in the domestic cups over the last six.

The CL was won by Chelsea against Barcelona. In the other leagues, AC Milan won by about 14 points clear of Roma. Barcelona won ahead of Real Betis by a couple of points, Madrid not far behind in third. In England, Man Utd took the title from Chelsea on goal difference. Chelsea had won it the year before, and this season Man Utd had been barely in the top half of the table a third of the way through the year, so it was astonishing to see them win it. Chelsea did however win their domestic cup, as did Real Madrid and AC Milan.

In our league, Bayern didn't even qualify for Europe, finishing a place short. Rhone, D1 cup champions, did a little better and were sixth. Fourth and fifth were Sporting Lisbon and Ajax.

Zamenhof, a regular backup for Ivarov along with Martyn, my English signing from years back, retired this year. He had made over 60 appearances, and served me well. Despite the disappointment in failing to win the title, there was a bright note; Huylens was top scorer once more, with a fantastic 21 goals in the league. 39 years of age and setting records both for himself and the league, he certainly knew where the goal was this term. My other players were not so prolific, though Ximilez scored another hat-trick this year and ended with 5 league goals. I couldn't get much out of my other midfielders, but they played well for the most part, though I was dismayed that Espimas was almost anonymous this season. Usually a powerhouse of positivity and energy in midfield, he failed to score this season and barely scored in 2009 either. Ostwaut, still only young, has generally failed to live up to the promise of his early years when I use him. I was very happy though with Dodo (who took over Iouga's DMF slot), Machado, Gabi, Jairzinho (who I use as a fill-in for both the AMF and WF positions) and of course Baggio who continues to become more influential whenever I feature him. Burchet and Barcao performed well, particularly the former, though the Aussie didnt score this year in the league and Barcao only scored once in the same competition.

Finished my 2nd season on Pes 13! Thought it would have been a promotion last time I updated here .. but nope, after january I had an incredibly bad losing streak which almost brought me back in the low part of the table.. but luckily in the final quarter I retained my old track record and managed to make it at least here:
pes2013 2020-10-01 21-18-43-66.jpg
which means I'll do the Italian Cup next season (teams after the 12th don't qualify, indeed).

Small satisfaction in Marilungo winning the top scoring rank:

pes2013 2020-10-01 21-08-30-29.jpg

Results aside, was an eventful year, anyway; Mannini ended up being my first, long injury (9 weeks), of course during my bad streak; I also had to cut down salaries, so a lot of players put their contract on hold and I ended up losing all the best of them to other teams (the same Mannini, Hatemaj and right back D'Alessandro) with offers during the rest of the season (didn't even remember other teams could sign them up for the subsequent year at that point!).

Market came and it has been a bit challenging until now. Sold Palmieri (refused a first offer and he got angry so I immediately put him on transfer list, I kinda made a point of selling players who act like this) and Adejo who despite being the player with the best overall of the entire team doesn't play much. Already signed at zero keeper Roos and winger Klaus. Still searching for a defender, a DMF and maybe a forward, need to solidify a bit the team to seriously challenge the top 3. To finish, just wanted to share this nice goal CPU scored me:
p.s. still playing with all the staff at minimum. Will surely not up the trainer (players already grow enough as it is) and the doctor (nice and realistic to have same injury here and there). Will study some good challenge for when (if :D ) I'll reach Serie A, probably a proper salary cap or something.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom