UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

Re: UEFA Champions League 04/05 Thread

What a result for Inter, beating Valencia 5-1 at the Mestalla!!

Some class goals tonight. Coridon for PSG and the first Panathinaikos goal. Oh, and of course another great result for Chelsea. I love the CL :D

Picture the scene...

--------------------------------------------

2 summers ago my phone rings...

Bobogol: Hey iceman
Iceman: Hey bobo... We just bought LEHMANN... what a signing!!
Bobogol: <loud noise in background>
Iceman: Hello?
Bobogol: HAHA x Infinity... I just fell off my seat!! He is shite.. Milan shipped him out after 5 games!!!
Iceman: Fuck u man.. u calcio cunt!

2 years on...Tonight.. my phone rings...

Bobogol: HAHA x Infinity...I TOLD U!!!
Iceman: <CLICK

---------------------------------------------

WENGER! Shift this deadbeat... NOW!

Barca deserved an away draw. It was great match in the end, even if it did lack in goals.

DId anybody see that touch of skill by Adriano where he juked past the goalie then nutmegged the last defender with a roulette to nearly score? Try to catch it on the highlights if you missed it. Truly worth watching.

Incredible 1-5, Incredible Inter de Milán, Incredible Adriano.

Anderlecht-Werder Bremen 1-2 : a beautifull first goal and afterwards they showed what we already knew: ANderlecht is far too weak for this group...IMHO they have only two players who are good enough at this level: Wilhelmsson and Kompany (although this last one regularly makes mistakes, i think he would be a better DMF than CB). The result is the more painfull for the fact that Bremen had loads of injured players...

I was stunned by Inters result in Valencia, truly a great result. Is it temporary or is Inter finally becomiong the team they shoud be with al those great players...

Finally once again it appears that Arsenal are struggling in Europe. Their group isn't even a tough one...

Didn't see much of the games, although saw highlights from the Barca game, how Milan got a win with the chances missed by Barca, I'll never know.

Definetely some result for Inter, couldn't see that coming.

Chelsea still going strong in the competition, although they are in a weak group, they are at least getting the job done, unlike Arsenal who are in an even weaker group. I couldn't believe the score last night, when I saw it 1-0 I thought it would be 3 or 4 as what I've saw from the Greeks, they ain't much to look at, I remember Rangers could've beat them over there. Further proof that they've got no chance to win the CL.

FD

Serie A riding high. With the exception of Roma ofcourse.

Watched the Milan- Barca game, I have to say Milan totally deserved the win. Barcelona didn't look as dangerouns anymore as you'd expect them to be. First time probably they faced a team with real defenders. Anyway Barca did have some big chances but I felt Milan were in complete control.

I said after Celtic had played both sides I thought Milan would beat Barcelona, because Milan know how to defend but Barcelona have too many attacking players to possibly play any way defensively. Might be a different score in the Nou Camp though.

The Inter score is a shocker alright, although Valencia do have a different boss to that which they had when they built their impressive European home record, but 5-1 is a real hammering.

I didn't see the other goals apart from PSG's (Coridon, groan. Had to happen tonight eh?), but Arsenal I'm sure will take an away point.

True that Benitez has left CD, but Ranieri did build the squad that played so well in Europe . . .

Iceman, i love that story and i can picture the scene perfectly . . . .;)

Gonzalez's goal was the best of the night. It takes great technique to hit a lobbing volley first time from that position and score a goal. Despite what the majority of people are saying, Lehmann was not at fault. Arsenal's defensive line always play high up the field, and for anyone who watches them regularly, you'll find that Lehmann has to take up a role as a sweeper sometimes to clear the ball. He went to do just that last night except there was indecision between him and Campbell and he whacked it where not many people could conceivably think would result in a goal. This is Arsenal and Lehmann though, so people will make more of it than there is, not concentrating on what was a very, very good goal. The second goal, however, was down to a defensive error. Lehmann was unnecessarily off the line and Olisadebe was left unmarked.

I felt Arsenal should have won the match, but an away point playing in a tough country is fine by me, considering our performance wasn't the best.

Unknown Celtic in front of Shakhtar Donetsk, and the goal of Charles-Edouard Coridon in PSG - Porto... fiction science...
icon10.gif

gerd said:
I was stunned by Inters result in Valencia, truly a great result. Is it temporary or is Inter finally becomiong the team they shoud be with al those great players...

Finally once again it appears that Arsenal are struggling in Europe. Their group isn't even a tough one...

Maybe Valencia just played really bad :D

didnt understand the language, but really, top draw stuff there from adriano, do i hear a footballer of the year coming his way?

-fb

gerd said:

Yeah none of the Premier League teams are doing that well in the Champions League. After the 1st week I was impressed by Liverpool and Chelsea. Since then Liverpool have slipped a bit (although they've probably got the hardest group of all the English teams), and Chelsea are still going strong, and probably are the most likely to go furthest of all the English sides.

I think all 4 will get through the group stages, but the away form of Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool will need to pick up in the knockout stages or they'll be put out by one of the top clubs (Bayern, Juve, Milan, Inter, Barca).

Adrianogol freaked out! :shock:

What a great win by Bremen.

Ronaldinho, damn I love him.

Arsenal... :roll:

Disappointing game by Milan. Milan started the match off excellently for the first 25 minutes. After that, we went to defence and had no posession at all. Barcellona played excellent attacking football, great goal by Ronaldinho. But Nesta-Maldini were a stunning pair in defence as no chances were allowed but the Ronaldinho goal. The eto'o goal was Kaladze's fault.

Good game Barca, poor game Milan.

Arsenal :shock: Cygan :lol:

I cant wait for tomorrow, I am taking my missus to Old Trafford for her first time, she cant wait. I reckon we`ll get the win, Europe is a more composed game, and I cant see Sparta beating us there.

Great level of Barcelona and incredible goal of Ronaldinho, the hero of the match.

Milanista said:
Disappointing game by Milan. Milan started the match off excellently for the first 25 minutes. After that, we went to defence and had no posession at all. Barcellona played excellent attacking football, great goal by Ronaldinho. But Nesta-Maldini were a stunning pair in defence as no chances were allowed but the Ronaldinho goal. The eto'o goal was Kaladze's fault.

Good game Barca, poor game Milan.

Hi mate

from a purely neutrals POV i think you are perhaps being a bit harsh on Milan. The game overall was a great advert for the CL - and the overall tempo and skills/ability of the players was high class

I think it just shows potentially how good this Barca team "could be" to be honest, that a superb team like Milan were effectively reduced to defending so deep and weren't able to get a foothold in the game after they had scored.

The most impressive aspect that Xavi & Deco (as well as the other players) were constantly harrying the milan players and didnt give them any time to settle.

I always used to hate Xavi and didn't think much of him at all, but ive got to say the second half of last season combined with this has seen him improve in my eyes immesureably. His pass for eto'o's goal was brilliant.

Kaka looked a bit out of sorts which probably also didn't help your cause. Best game of the night by a long way IMhumbleO.

cheers

Db

What a goal from Ronaldinho...and saying that i condemned myself to watch another embarassing, humiliating "performance" by Anderlecht...they are undoubtedly the worst team in this years CL...well it's another way to excell...
Of course i should have watched that great Barcelona-Milan match... I guess Barca have their old magic back...and i'm glad they have...for some strange reason i don't like big clubs...Barca and Man Utd are the exceptions...

Last edited:

I am still dissapointed that arsenal keeps on drawing, why can't they just beat teams silly like they do in the PL, is it a curse or something.

Est. 1987 said:
I am still dissapointed that arsenal keeps on drawing, why can't they just beat teams silly like they do in the PL, is it a curse or something.

Nah mate, the problem is simple, they're coming against teams who don't shit their pants and defend (badly). These teams know how to defend and it's the good teams that beat them. Arsenal are a good league team, but once they come up against the quality they are pretty poor. They need to invest in a couple of match-winners as in European competition quality.

FD

We beat chelsea 3 times last year, they were a quality team last year. Hopelfully we could do the same this season. But i agree we do need match winners other than just rely on henry

denirobob said:
Hi mate

from a purely neutrals POV i think you are perhaps being a bit harsh on Milan. The game overall was a great advert for the CL - and the overall tempo and skills/ability of the players was high class

I think it just shows potentially how good this Barca team "could be" to be honest, that a superb team like Milan were effectively reduced to defending so deep and weren't able to get a foothold in the game after they had scored.

The most impressive aspect that Xavi & Deco (as well as the other players) were constantly harrying the milan players and didnt give them any time to settle.

I always used to hate Xavi and didn't think much of him at all, but ive got to say the second half of last season combined with this has seen him improve in my eyes immesureably. His pass for eto'o's goal was brilliant.

Kaka looked a bit out of sorts which probably also didn't help your cause. Best game of the night by a long way IMhumbleO.

cheers

Db
that game was a snoozer until the last minute, by "The game overall was a great advert for the CL - and the overall tempo and skills/ability of the players was high class" do you mean, passing the ball to the other team 80% of the time, dribbling into defenders the other %20, and defending with 9 men as milan did, that game was SHIT. There was no flow, just barcelona kicking the ball around the park with not alot of meaning and not too many probing runs except the one eto'o socred. I don think you watched the same game i did

Ronaldinho's goal was brilliant, my top go so far followed by Maakay's unstopable volley.

In the Inter/Valencia game how comes the defender who picked the fight with Adriano did not get sent off aswell?

Bremen look like the darkhorses of this tournament this season...

Back
Top Bottom