UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

Re: UEFA Champions League 04/05 Thread

cfdh_edmundo said:
If Man Utd play a decent team in the knockout stages they'll be annihalated in the away leg. Juve, Inter, Milan, Barca - all could beat Man Utd with consumate ease.

again spoken like a true ABU, ya full of shite as usual, the only team to beat us in an away leg of a knockout stage for years has been Real, all the teams you mentioned (apart from milan) we've seen off so why should we think we cant beat em'.

Saying that I dont fancy us to win it just that we can hold our own, last year we we're unlucky, if we get a bit of luck this year we could do it.

for me Barca and Chelsea and Juve are the standout teams this year.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
again spoken like a true ABU, ya full of shite as usual, the only team to beat us in an away leg of a knockout stage for years has been Real, all the teams you mentioned (apart from milan) we've seen off so why should we think we cant beat em'.

Bayern beat you in both legs in 2000-2001 (1-0 and 2-1)
Last year you lost the away leg in Porto 2-1 - So far as I recall McCarthy got 2 goals and Fortune got one for you. But I maybe be wrong, so do check here.

When you had a decent back line and Schmeicel in goal you were a top team no question about it. Its not suprising that with players like him and Stam you were able to shut out the attackers of Inter and Juve. But now youve a team thats shipped 2 goals to Lyon, 2 to Fenerbahce and 1 to Prague, in the League youve conceeded 2 to Bolton and 2 to Pompey. You'd have to admit that the likes of Adriano and Zlatan are better than the teams listed above.

Im not an "ABU", dont support any team in the Premier League and dont hate Man Utd, afterall not long ago you used to be a great team - you used to be contenders.

It means "anyone but united" as in someone who supports anyone who is playing against them

I had a feeling I was wrong about the 1st bit I could only 100% remember as far back as the semi against Leverkusen.

As for you rating of the likes of Adriano etc, thats your opinion, I'd fancy our chances against either Juve or Inter, we've beat em before and we've got the players to do it again.

cfdh_edmundo said:
It means "anyone but united" as in someone who supports anyone who is playing against them
i have to diasagree here with Vann, edmundo is one of the few netural posters on here, i would not slag his opnions off so easily

csaunders said:
i have to diasagree here with Vann, edmundo is one of the few netural posters on here, i would not slag his opnions off so easily

a neutral, nah ive seen a few posts of his to have a different opinion. Maybe in that he doesnt openly support anyone.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:

Come on Vanizzle, you have to admit that Man utd isn't what it used to be. Also we are talking current form not past glory in away legs.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Saying that I dont fancy us to win it just that we can hold our own, last year we we're unlucky, if we get a bit of luck this year we could do it.

I'm sorry, but I really can't see you lot coming far. Last year you might've been unlucky with that offside decision but you weren't really convincing last year as well.
Face it, your team just isn't that strong anymore and has holes everywhere:

Howard/Carroll: Both dodgy keepers. Some good moments both, but far from solid keepers.

Gary Neville: A role player, nothing special. Decent at best.
Ferdinand: Good defender.
Silvestre: Absolutely awfull defender, has no confidence, no strength, no skills or positioning. Always commits awfull blunders.
Heinze: Could be good defender.
Giggs: Some nice moments at times, but far from the amazing Giggs of many years ago. He's moving on and he's far past his best.
Scholes: He was also at his best a long time ago, when he was young. He still isn't old but he too is past his peak or just skipped his peak. He was a decent player when he was young but never that special all he ever did was shoot and shoot.
Roy Keane: A dirty player who is far and far past hist best. Over the hill and down the drain.
C. Ronaldo: I've written about him often, and my conclusion remains that I think he's overrated.
Rooney: Could be good, is not bad at the moment but besides his debut hattrick has yet to impress me further for man utd.
Van Nistelrooy: One of the best finishers out there, but is reliant on good service. Which he is getting from a 3/4 over-the hill midfield and 1/4 overrated midfield.

So you see, in my point of vieuw: man utd is still a decent team but nothing special at all.

Last edited:

I am netural, dont support anyone in the Premier League. Of the continental clubs I vaguely support Atletico Madrid, coz I saw them a good few years back, but even then I wasnt too upset when they went down in 99 and cant say Im really fussed over their results, similarly if I had to pick a German club it would be Hertha. But I dont really support either of these teams, if theyre on TV I'll cheer them but they hardly ever are as they tend not to make it into Europe that often.

In terms of big European teams I dont really follow anyone at all. I like teams that play decent attacking football and this season in the CL Barca have been the team that does that the most IMO, so yeah if I had to pick a team that I'd like to win it would be them.

In fact I support Tranmere Rovers -in the 3rd tier ("League 1") of English football - but we rarely play a big club and have no major rivalries with any big team (unless you count Bolton - but even then I myself dont mind the Reebok lot). I'll openly say were an average team going nowhere (although this season weve been doing ok). But you end up supporting who you support and fate doesnt always deal everyone a good hand. A plus point is I can watch any match on TV and not get overly concerned about who I want to win, coz the impact of the result on Tranmere will almost always be nil.

Like I say im not anti-Utd, I think youve got some good attacking players (eg Ronaldo); I just think you could have some problems regarding your defence if you come up against teams with a strong attack.

LOL at past glory, it was only a couple of seasons ago we beat Juve home and away.

Don, dont get me wrong I dont think we're world beaters at the mo, even with my big red tinted goggles Im not that daft.

What I dont buy into is that we're a non-entity, your breakdown of the players is flawed at best.

We have some good young players and when we gel together we will be up there again.

Im not arsed about who's qualified already etc, you only have to look at last year to know that means feck all, when it gets to knock out stages, you need as bigger dose of luck as you do skill/determination etc so hold ya horses from writting us off.

Still I appreciate your point of view, as flawed as it is, and we'll see if either of our teams can better our recent CL form.

Don Domenico said:
Why is it flawed?

lol where do I start.......

Its best for me to just conceed that its your opinion, im not gonna change your mind anyway, I watch the players nearly every week and know what there capable of, the likes of Keane, Giggs and Scholes are legends at the club so of course after the success they've brought us its near impossible for me to write them off.

It will amaze a few people here but i think that Man Utd could go far this year. The reason??? IMHO they can forget the EPL and they can do the same thing as Chelsea last year.
I'm not convinced about Italian teams and certainly not about Juventus. Their last glory team is becoming more and more tainted (drug-enhanced performances, EPO, dr Ferrari etc - i'm rather surprised that nobody talks about this on this forum...).
Furhter on about Man United, the last few years they simply were not good enough and they don't have a good CL record (considering that they are the richest club in the world). They won it once, so what???? (and this from a person a went trough the roof when the baby faced assasin scored that goal).
When the season begun i predicted that Man Utd would not play a significant role in the EPL, but i'm getting more and more convinced that they will have a fine young team and that in a couple of years they will be a big team (yes i kniw Vann, only idiots don't change their mind, not that my opinion about Ferguson has changed ...).

Juve drugs? It was the staff. THe players accused were mainly players who had already left. Juve at the moment are more convincing than any english team, maybe not necesserily Chelsea. Inter in Europe is doing very well, theyre constantly scoring goals and Adriano is a serious contender for player of the year. Milan is abit shaky at the moment, but proved to be able to take control and win through shaky performances when at home. English teams like Arsenal and Liverpool havent been playing well, nor better than the Italian teams (but Roma). United are doing ok, but not as well as the 3 main Italian teams. The only team doing better/as well is Chelsea.

Don Domenico said:
Come on Vanizzle, you have to admit that Man utd isn't what it used to be. Also we are talking current form not past glory in away legs.

I'm sorry, but I really can't see you lot coming far. Last year you might've been unlucky with that offside decision but you weren't really convincing last year as well.
Face it, your team just isn't that strong anymore and has holes everywhere:

Howard/Carroll: Both dodgy keepers. Some good moments both, but far from solid keepers.

Gary Neville: A role player, nothing special. Decent at best.
Ferdinand: Good defender.
Silvestre: Absolutely awfull defender, has no confidence, no strength, no skills or positioning. Always commits awfull blunders.
Heinze: Could be good defender.
Giggs: Some nice moments at times, but far from the amazing Giggs of many years ago. He's moving on and he's far past his best.
Scholes: He was also at his best a long time ago, when he was young. He still isn't old but he too is past his peak or just skipped his peak. He was a decent player when he was young but never that special all he ever did was shoot and shoot.
Roy Keane: A dirty player who is far and far past hist best. Over the hill and down the drain.
C. Ronaldo: I've written about him often, and my conclusion remains that I think he's overrated.
Rooney: Could be good, is not bad at the moment but besides his debut hattrick has yet to impress me further for man utd.
Van Nistelrooy: One of the best finishers out there, but is reliant on good service. Which he is getting from a 3/4 over-the hill midfield and 1/4 overrated midfield.

So you see, in my point of vieuw: man utd is still a decent team but nothing special at all.
i gottta completley disgagree with you on this one

Gary Neville: A role player, nothing special. Decent at best. GOOD DEFENDER, GOOD CROSSER OF BALL

Ferdinand: Good defender. ONE OF THEN BEST IN THE WORLD

Silvestre: Absolutely awfull defender, has no confidence, no strength, no skills or
CMON ARE YOU SERIOUS, NO STRENGTH?!??!!? HE IS GOOD WHEN RIO IS BACK THERE
SEE ARSENAL VS MANU

agree with you up to ronaldo

C. Ronaldo: I've written about him often, and my conclusion remains that I think he's overrated. YOU DONT WATCH HIM ENOUGH, IMO

agree with rooney

van nistelroy, well somewhat agree with you, but sometimes even when doesnt get good service he pulls a goal out of his ass

Stan said:
It will amaze a few people here but i think that Man Utd could go far this year. The reason??? IMHO they can forget the EPL and they can do the same thing as Chelsea last year.
I'm not convinced about Italian teams and certainly not about Juventus. Their last glory team is becoming more and more tainted (drug-enhanced performances, EPO, dr Ferrari etc - i'm rather surprised that nobody talks about this on this forum...).
Furhter on about Man United, the last few years they simply were not good enough and they don't have a good CL record (considering that they are the richest club in the world). They won it once, so what???? (and this from a person a went trough the roof when the baby faced assasin scored that goal).
When the season begun i predicted that Man Utd would not play a significant role in the EPL, but i'm getting more and more convinced that they will have a fine young team and that in a couple of years they will be a big team (yes i kniw Vann, only idiots don't change their mind, not that my opinion about Ferguson has changed ...).
gerd/stan, i think you are a man, for admiting your opnion has chanegend, good for you my friend

Stan said:

That doesn't make much sense:

You're not convinced by the current Juventus team, because the 1996 team has been accused of drugs ?

@ Vann and csaunders:

I watch man utd every week. I get all premierschip matches live on my tv.

Don, Juve and the whole Italian football league is a corrupt bunch. Drugs, worked games it's all there. It's the most shittiest league in the world with ultra right hooligans ruling their team (Lazio) and teams with empty stadiums playing CL games due to misbehaviour (As Roma), or supporters that don't even take the time to see their teams play in the cl at home (Juve and Inter).

Sorry people but I hate Italian football.

I have to disagree Joos, I agree about some of the stuff like trouble and empty stadiums, but some of the games have been terrific that I've seen. It is still technically very good, although my favourite is always the Spanish league.

FD

I hate the fact I never get to see the Primera Division, I also love that league.

I think Man Utd is good, though shaky at times... what they need now is someone special who can provide good service. To me, they are through a period of transition. with all the young players coming in. I believe they will be up there beating other teams' ass in a few years time... However, right now, i think the most they can go is 3rd in the league. nothing more...

Don Domenico said:
That doesn't make much sense:

You're not convinced by the current Juventus team, because the 1996 team has been accused of drugs ?

@ Vann and csaunders:

I watch man utd every week. I get all premierschip matches live on my tv.
ok, fair enough don, i just dont see how you dont see ronaldos ability to take over games like he does... yes he is unconsistent, but man i love his potential

joostebrood said:
Don, Juve and the whole Italian football league is a corrupt bunch. Drugs, worked games it's all there. It's the most shittiest league in the world with ultra right hooligans ruling their team (Lazio) and teams with empty stadiums playing CL games due to misbehaviour (As Roma), or supporters that don't even take the time to see their teams play in the cl at home (Juve and Inter).

Sorry people but I hate Italian football.

The entire controversy surrounding drugs is/was that drugs used in italy were legal substances in Italy but illegal almost in every other country.
Also the hooliganism concerning Lazio is long in the past, it's just Roma now.
The worked games part: There was an investigation into this, and it seems only a few players of the 'smaller' teams were involved. Ofcourse I don't know how true this is.

Don Domenico said:
The entire controversy surrounding drugs is/was that drugs used in italy were legal substances in Italy but illegal almost in every other country.
Also the hooliganism concerning Lazio is long in the past, it's just Roma now.
The worked games part: There was an investigation into this, and it seems only a few players of the 'smaller' teams were involved. Ofcourse I don't know how true this is.

You're a nice guy Don, but what you are saying here is pure bullshit.
If those drugs were legal in Italy how do you explain the fact that it is the Italian justice who has started a case against Juve???? (Oh and the judge seems to be a very big Juve fan too Don).
Don't let yourself be blinded by your love for Juve...

I already really respect this forum and this area in particular I like the fact that people are respecting eachothers opinions whilst still getting my message across, anyway...

I believe VanShizzle and Csaunders are hitting the nail on the head.

Although I do believe we will be a superpower in the years to come I believe people are underating our ability at the present. United have a team of experienced and brilliant players combined with inexperienced and marvelous potential in youth.

Scholes, Giggs and Keane yes have been under-par. But calling these players over the hill is a ridiculous and confusing suggestion. They are off-form and not over the hill at all. There has been sporadic brilliance from the likes of Giggs and Keane so far this season in a team up till recently that has been blighted by injuries all the over park. These injuries ONLY put us behind the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal this season. Chelsea and Arsenal have been able to play consistent teams and are now showing the benefits of this. United have been put in a disadvantaged position because of this. Did you know at one point we had something like 12 players injured? Once United put together a consistent team like they have within the last month or so our team will flourish and produce the football we expect. Don't forget that something like a third of our players are pretty new here and have little experience of first team football. Many of our team is not performing, natural to all football players who have different runs of form. Because we have a large number of these players not performing it shows and we are criticised. Write Manchester United off at your peril. Players that are performing will. There is no greater Mastermind in Football than Sir.Alex Ferguson himself. Hes been written off before and here he is again. And again he will prove the doubters

DO NOT AWAKE THE SLEEPING GIANT

Stan said:
You're a nice guy Don, but what you are saying here is pure bullshit.
If those drugs were legal in Italy how do you explain the fact that it is the Italian justice who has started a case against Juve???? (Oh and the judge seems to be a very big Juve fan too Don).
Don't let yourself be blinded by your love for Juve...

Well ok, the legal-illegal thing is only part of it.
As a matter a fact i've just read some arcticles on this subject.
The biggest matter of concern seems to be EPO.
As it DOES seem (yes I was wrong) that EPO was handed certain players.
Other players were given drugs to help them beat the flu and similarities.
As it seems of players still playing probably Vieri, Tacchinardi and even Del Piero to a lesser extent. had been given EPO. I wonder though, as I think all it did was work out wrongly. Del Piero used to be very frail, but got more musles and has musle injuries all the time. Same goes for Vieri who is now a hulk but always injured.
Had the EPO taken it's toll?

Anway nothing has happened after the sentencing of Giraudo, due to I beleive not enough evidence.

As a Juve fan though, I honestly don't know what to think of this all. And I'd like to think players like Del Piero simply are injury-prone and got more bulky due to simple fitness training..

Of course Don, the EPO and Aranesp (a better version of EPO)- thing is an issue in other Italian clubs too. There's a huge drug problem in Italian cycling and atheletics, why would Juve be the only football club who systhematically supplies those drugs to it's players.
It turns out that Zeman was right after all... (he was the first one to point out the drug problems in Italian football).

If his clubs are the only ones who aren't cheating he isn't a sore loser Don...then he's a victim <ho has every right to complain (and my feeling is that in this case he had every right to complain).

Back
Top Bottom