UEFA Euro 2008 - Austria Switzerland

Dear France,

01.jpg

02.jpg

How embarassing for you! Nae luck! :lmao:

:mryellow:

Regards,
Scotland

It's not a problem coz we know you won't qualify :mrgreen:.
No, I'd rather you than Italy.

Why did van Basten put van Persie in as CF when Kuyt was injured? Babel is the perfect striker for this system (without a nr.10), but no... Babel became left winger, van Persie the striker and Robben right winger.
I still don't get it.

foxtrot said:
It's our best result in a very very long time. Glasgow was absolutely jumping tonight. Let us have it! :)
The great fans of Scotland deserve it. :applause: I had the pleasure to meet some Scottish fans after the Slovenia - Scotland WC06 qualifier.

And this is coming from a fan of the French national team. :mrgreen:

fd1972uk said:
Well the trophy is in the bag. :mrgreen:

What a fabulous result and performance.

France did dominate possession, especially in the 1st half, although I didn't think they actually worked our golaie too much (btw Gordon is the best British goalie by a mile, one of the best in Europe).

Great to see a celt get the goal, Caldwell. He was fantastic and was rightly voted MOTM although the whole defence was brilliant. I'm not a big fan of Alexander but he was outstanding at left back.

Scotland showed a lot more belief in the 2nd half.

Even as a Celtic fan I have to say that Walter Smith (ex Rangers manager) has done a fantastic job and no matter what happens in now on in, we can be assured that our team will not embarass us like before.

FD

I think your point is a tad over the top, though I will give you the benefit of the doubt giving that you have seen the greatest Scotland result in your lifetime.

I think Gordon is by a mile the best Scottish keeper and is in the top four in Britain but it is a bit premature to say he is the best by a mile. Gerrard is the best British midfielder by a mile, he has competition in the England team but he is far better.

He was consistant last season, no doubt, by a mile the best keeper in Scotland. This season he has been great so far, I just don't think he has enough of a test the way other keepers in the same bracket have. Robinson is still IMO a better keeper, he has proven it since the year he played for Leeds he was phenominal. Remember the game agaisnt Barca alone, this can be compared to the Marshallona night but look what happend to him. Robinson has grew as a keeper ever since, we still have to wait and see if Gordon will. Now as I said before he has everything going for him, his potential is unbelievable, for once Scotland has got a keeper in the same class as Goram but he is still got some time left to learn his trade.

Croatia 2 - 0 England
Kudos to Croatia. Well played. :thumbup:

Belarus 4 - 2 Slovenia
Nothing new. We were 1-2 up at the HT and then conceded 3 in the 2nd half.

Paul Robinson's air shot :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shocked that Wales actually managed a win, 3-1 against more or less the same Cyprus team that thrashed Ireland. :shock:

fuck we got owned today by Poland. Probably the worst performance i've seen since Scolari took the helm.
Poland 2 - 1 Portugal.
the result is the less in this, we played shit shit shit. We need a decent striker, please take Lady Nuno Gomes from the team. Bring Hugo Almeida, not world class but could do better than Nuno Gomes.
Ronaldo played shit, it seems that that if someone tackles him hard he'll start being afraid of going for the 1-on-1.

Trezegol, Nico Anelka, Henry and Saha scored ! Great news but we can't find the one with the best link with Henry. Saha's the favourite and even if I don't like him, I know he's the most competitive player. With Cisse's comeback, we'll have a lot of very good strikers ready to help the team.

Cloud1863 said:
I think your point is a tad over the top, though I will give you the benefit of the doubt giving that you have seen the greatest Scotland result in your lifetime.

Sorry, but that wasn't due to my head being in the clouds. To say Gordon is in the top four in Britain is correct, although he's no.1 in that 4, however he's the best by a long way IMO. Sorry but all I hear is fans slagging off Robinson and even in some instances the media. He is a good shot stopper but in the past year or so he's become more suspecitble to dodgy goals. I won't include last night's goal as that was just a freak goal, although he has to take the blame as he was the one popping holes everywhere for goal-kicks. Given is up there too though (if we count him as British).

As for last night's Scotland result, it was disappointing, but not a surprise. Although the refereeing was a sham, the sending off was laughable and the penalty even worse, Shevvy is desperate at the moment and looks like he'll do everything to get a goal. Ukraine totally deserved the win though.

FD

Rentalkid said:
Slovakia - Germany 0:3 at half time
Poldi, Schweini, Ballagoal

Another amazing performance so far. :)

sad performance by slovakia :( but germany surely the best team in europe, currently at least...

Turkey 5 - 0 Moldovia

3/3 now! Hakan Sukur scored 4 goals and he give best answer who call him "old man".

Wait Austuria & Switzerland! We're coming!

249057.jpg

There's a poll on some Slovenian footie related site asking if our coach should resign. Here are the results:

96% Yes
4% No
Total votes: 1119

fd1972uk said:
Sorry, but that wasn't due to my head being in the clouds. To say Gordon is in the top four in Britain is correct, although he's no.1 in that 4, however he's the best by a long way IMO. Sorry but all I hear is fans slagging off Robinson and even in some instances the media. He is a good shot stopper but in the past year or so he's become more suspecitble to dodgy goals. I won't include last night's goal as that was just a freak goal, although he has to take the blame as he was the one popping holes everywhere for goal-kicks. Given is up there too though (if we count him as British)....

FD

Never can be that simple, again I will say he does not have the same job as Robinson, he plays 2-3 good teams in the league a season, then the odd other game he gets a workout but never week in week out. If he did you would see more mistakes that are natural for a keeper.

Secondly you are quoting "fickle England fans" and the media, now these are usually the two types of comment that you don't take any notice of when they are shouting England to win the world cup, in fact you usually take these comments to pieces. Though now the moment suits it you decide to use it. Sorry I don't think he has been that bad, we haven't coincided a lot of goals in the year 2006 as a nation, last season he helped Spurs get into Europe (for a good portion of the competition not just some qualifiers)

Your still missing the point I think, Luca Toni, a player that in his position has proven himself in his nation for years can't cut it at international level. This is the simple fact that hinders him as being one of the best strikers in the world. On the other hand Peter crouch has been far better at International level than Rooney in the last 6-8 months, but he is never the better player.

Gordon is a fantastic young keeper, he is ready to start peaking, but he is not quite done it yet. If he continues positively he will be better than Robinson, I could not disagree with that but give him time, don't be fickle yourself if he makes it down south in the next twelve months( which I think is clearly on the cards) then you can prove me wrong, but until he makes that jump you have a flawed case.

I remember when James McFadden was the best young player in his position, wow he really is far better than anyone in the same position down south, and again what happened to Marshall.

Lastly about Given, no he is not British, I'm pretty sure the fact his Irishness gives that idea a swift kick in the nuts, we tried to integrate them into our society and they never wanted to take it so they can't get it now. :p

Hakan Sükür is now topscorer of active players in Europe:

1. Hakan Sükür Turkije 50
2. Pauleta Portugal 47
3. Jan Koller Tsjechië 47
4. Raúl Spanje 44
5. Tomasson Denemarken 43
6. Kluivert Nederland 40

Why did van Basten put van Persie in as CF when Kuyt was injured? Babel is the perfect striker for this system (without a nr.10), but no... Babel became left winger, van Persie the striker and Robben right winger.
I still don't get it.

Sorry for the delayed reply. Believe it or not Babel´s preferred position is to play left winger ahead of CF and Robben kinda enjoys playing at the right because that gives him the chance to make diagonal runs and make shots at goal. Perhaps van Basten just wanted to try a more "flowing" frontline and decided to play these 3 on the positions they´re most comfortable at with each other.

With van Persie being more of a Forward (Second Striker) than a winger, van Basten may have opted for playing Robin at what he does at Arsenal: playing him as a versatile Forward on the middle (which doesn´t convert him into CF/nr. 9).

Take notice that van Persie only plays as winger in 4-1-4-1 type of formations (like he did sometimes last season when he came off the bench for Arsenal) and that when playing in a 4-3-3 he usually plays the forward role (unlike Robben who usually has a more vertical role as a winger), either on the side like he did in WC2006 or at the middle like he did in this match.

Hope to have helped with your doubt, take care.

Ahead of the Portugal x Belgium game, the Belgium GK said to a reporter that they knew how to take Ronaldo out of the game, and they would only need 2 minutes to do that.

In light of these threats I hope Portugal demolishes Belgium.

Big game for us on Saturday, playing the Irish at Croke Park, first football match at the home of the GAA. In years gone by I wouldn't have fancied our chances at all but the Irish under Staunton have been very poor (they scraped a 2-1 over San Marino can you believe!?) so fingers crossed for 3 points, otherwise its yet another qualifying campaign wasted.

And its not looking good for us. Been absolutely shite so far. Toshack out!!

Ahead of the Portugal x Belgium game, the Belgium GK said to a reporter that they knew how to take Ronaldo out of the game, and they would only need 2 minutes to do that.In light of these threats I hope Portugal demolishes Belgium.

I'm belgian an i agree completely with you .
Stijnen is a massive ass hole....
I hope he does have to play the game...it would be an easy way out to play Vandenbussche in goal now.
If i were the belgian coach now, i would put him in goal and tell him that if he concedes a single goal, it's his last match for the national team...if Portugal would really demolish belgium i would let him face the porugese press on his own...

All this said....his stupid were only said because he already was afraid of portugal and Ronaldo...everybodu here in Belgium already expected a thrashing, now Stijnen singlehandedly has given extra motivation for the Portugese national team...

Of course the Portugese press had a field day and Scolari refused the peace offer of the Belgium national team's entourage...if it becomes a war Stijnen is the first to blame, but Scolari isn't free of guild too.

And Portugese players already dive quit a lot...poor referee....

Anyway, for the neutral fan it's better that Portugal qualifies than Belgium (our team has virtually no chance, they desperately need a win...i hope for a good thrashing, it would be good...then we canbuild a new team...we have quite a few reasonably talented players).

Let's hope for a fair match.

My god what a dire state England are in....... I think Mclaren is a joke manager even when at Boro, but god the players should be able to perform without any input at all..
The under 21's were raw and loose at the back but you could see some of them running their hearts out... Mclaren is even less dynamic than Sven, as for the players.....??

"The type of thing when we see it from other countries we point the finger"

"I don't think he's dived he just expected the challenge"

Why can't they just come out and say it, Lampard tried to cheat Israel and the referee with a dive. :| :lol: Fat Fwank failed, he can't even dive well.

We were shit. Thanks Anelka and the other players can change sport. Pathetic, we only play doing only passes.

Back
Top Bottom