World Cup 2010 - The Portugal Thread - Acabou-se - It's over

The_Special_One

I like Unicorns
17 August 2007
Cascais
Estoril | Knicks
With the World Cup coming up I think it's time to open the traditionals threads about the teams. Last time I openned the Spanish thread and they end up winning the trophy. So this time I've decided to open the Portuguese thread hoping the same end as in 2008. :))

Here are the 24 players for South Africa (1 will go home before the trip to Africa):

Goalkeepers
Eduardo (Sp. Braga)
Beto (FC Porto)
Daniel Fernandes (Iraklis)

Defenders
Paulo Ferreira (Chelsea)
Miguel (Valência)
Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea)
Bruno Alves (FC Porto)
Rolando (FC Porto)
Ricardo Costa (Lille)
Duda (Málaga)
Fábio Coentrão (Benfica)
Pepe (Real Madrid)
Zé Castro (Deportivo)

Midfielders
Pedro Mendes (Sporting)
Raúl Meireles (FC Porto)
Deco (Chelsea)
Tiago (Atlético Madrid)
Miguel Veloso (Sporting)

Forwards
Nani (Manchester United)
Simão (Atlético Madrid)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
Danny (Zenit)
Liedson (Sporting)
Hugo Almeida (Werder Bremen)

In the next vid you can see how this kid reacts at Queiroz's squad:
YouTube - Disseram-lhe que o Sporting vai ser campeão!

Re: World Cup 2010 - The Portugal Thread

No Jumbo, that's why I posted that boy's vid. This squad is ridiculous. Look, Queiroz called Daniel Fernandes and Beto when they have just played a couple of games this season. I can't understand why Rui Patricio and Quim weren't called (Quim only conceded 20 goals in the league).
Plus, he called 6 centre backs, SIX!!! Ridiculous. Instead off Zé Castro and Ricardo Costa he should have called João Moutinho (he's always in NT), Ruben Amorim or Carlos Martins (they did a fantastic season with Benfica).
Scolari created a great feeling around the National Team. Queiroz destroyed it.

After all I just can say RIDICULOUS.

Yeah that is strange.

Maybe we'll beat you in the quarter finals this time! :D

What's the likely-hood of Nani starting for you lot?

Don't worry Jumbo, we won't achieve quarter finals. :((

YoungGun, I think (and hope!) Nani will be part of the starting XI. He's in shape, playing very well, in my opinion he was your most decisive player since Rooney's injury.

---------------Eduardo----------------
Ferreira--Bruno Alves--Carvalho---Duda
-----------------Pepe-----------------
----------Deco---------Meireles-------
Ronaldo---------------------------Nani
---------------Liedson----------------

We played like that in recent games. Look who is our MDF! We have Veloso in the squad but Queiroz prefers Pepe in that position! I think the guy is really worried about defence.

How good is Eduardo? He looked decent enough the few times I saw him. It's good if Portugal have finally a good reliable goalkeeper. Though his backups seem to be poor! So if anything happens to him, can Portugal rely on Daniel Fernades or Beto?!

Dani Fernandes is Canadian! I remember him. :P Portuguese mom or dad tho I don't remember.

I'm pi$$ed off about Moutinho not being in! and yah looking at that squad I was like wtf! You have like 6 CB's! You don't need that many!

Raul Meireles will run the midfield and be KEY for Portugal I think.

Also glad to see Danny there. Finally some dangerous strikers for oppositions to deal with, with Liedson and Danny there. Tho Liedson is past his prime and was once much better but of course he's always dangerous!

How good is Eduardo? He looked decent enough the few times I saw him. It's good if Portugal have finally a good reliable goalkeeper. Though his backups seem to be poor! So if anything happens to him, can Portugal rely on Daniel Fernades or Beto?!

NO!!!

Beto is #2 keeper at Porto. I never saw Fernandes but press says he's also #2 in his team in Greece.
Eduardo is a decent keeper. He is in same level as Ricardo or Quim but far from being a top quality keeper like Vitor Baia. Sometimes has his bad moments but in overall is a good goalkeeper (I want him in Benfica as Quim is getting older).

Dani Fernandes born in Canada, his father is Portuguese and his mom Czech. :CONFUSE:

Meireles wasn't that great this season, honestly I rate him poor, even though he may be important in the World Cup. I’m also worried about Deco and the lack of replacements to him. There is no other number 10 in the squad. I’m very very mad Moutinho won’t play, he could do that role although knowing he is a different type of player. :RANT:

My hopes are in Ronaldo and Nani, the truly stars of Portugal. My faith is in their boots.

Could a Mod move this into the WC Forum, would be better suited I'd say.

Poor Bosingwa as well. Missing a great season for Chelsea and the World cup.

Can't agree with you airjoca. The guy is short, which is very important for a keeper, and frankly I don't feel secure watching him at the goal. We don't have a top keeper since Vitor Baia, in my opinion he was at his prime in Euro 2000.

Moutinho and Martins are strange omissions.

The WC is plagued by poor coaches. Queiroz has to be right up there with the worst.

We just needed something like this:

GR: Eduardo; Quim; Beto/Patricio
DF: Miguel; P. Ferreira; Coentrão; Duda(...)
CB: Bruno Alves; R. Carvalho; Pepe; Carriço
DMF: Pedro Mendes; Veloso
CM: Raul Meireles; Deco; Amorim; C. Martins/Nuno Assis
WG: C. Ronaldo; Nani; Danny; Simão
PL: Liedson; Hugo Almeida; Makukula

But lets just clear something out. Every1s 'hate' is just about subs. The team Queiroz will sport throughout the competition, if no1 picks any injuries, will pretty much be: Eduardo; Miguel/P. Ferreira - Bruno Alves - R. Carvalho - Contrão/Duda; P. Mendes - Meireles - Deco; Ronaldo - Nani/Simão; Liedson. The others will see some game maybe against the Koreans and, like i said, if some1 is injured.
Even tough, i can somehow explain why Queiroz picked 6 CBs. Pepe is injured for a long ass time, as we all know and the doctors have doubts that he will be match-fit for the worldcup, the other CB is because Ricardo Carvalho had so many muscular problems this season that queiroz is afraid that when he comes back from this last injury he had, he won't be ready to play. But this really doesn't explain why he picked Ricardo Costa or Ze castro, they both barelly saw any play this season, yet carriço that did a marvelous season even with this dreadful Sporting is not even listed. Well, we'll see what happens.
Still, even with all these "selection" issues, i still don't think we will go beyond the group stage. We may even pass that, but we will stop right there.

Omg.. thats just what i get from this first half..

Coentrão and Nani are giving their best, while P. Ferreira, Deco, Ronaldo and Liedson are a disappointment. Shitty attitude, awful game plan (once again) by CQ. Lets just wait and see whats on for the second half, because this is looking like what we're going to get in the WC.

And for the cherry on top of the cake, Queiroz comments: "We made a good game. Everyone that knows how to build a team knows that after a week of intensive training, we couldn't make a great game. Yet the players did what i wanted. They were calm and were tactically correct and thats all i wanted."
For gods sake, WE WERE F*CKING AWFUL!

Defence wise, only Ferreira was bad. I won't even start thinking the problems of first touch this guy has..
Then we have a pale Deco. The 'engine' was pretty rusty and lets see if these last months of injuries and bench warming in Chelsea didn't affect him.
Veloso, oh well lets give the boy time. Wasn't that bad, at least doing a position where he isn't to familiar with, box-to-box isn't his place.
Ronaldo was a pain to watch in the first half but a bit different in the second. Yet he wasn't anywhere near the CR9. Nani on the other side was with Coentrão the best of the whole 90 minutes.
Liedson was with ronaldo, awful. He was hiding himself between the CBs of cape..
Lets just wait and see what we do in the nest game (there is going to be another friendly right?).

1st July
Portugal - Cameroon

Eto'o will trash us.

Queiroz is fucking hilarious. He has future in stand up comedy.

Nice to see Nani giving his best, seriously why is Deco playing? He's finished and ahead of Moutinho whose been a regular all season.

What formation and set up did you start with?

Nice to see Nani giving his best, seriously why is Deco playing? He's finished and ahead of Moutinho whose been a regular all season.

What formation and set up did you start with?

Started with:
-----------------------Eduardo-----------------
P. Ferreira---R. Carvalho---B. Alves---Coentrão
---------------------P. Mendes-----------------
---------------Deco------------Veloso----------
-Ronaldo/Nani---------Liedson------Ronaldo/Nani

But we ended playing with 10 man because Tiago injured himself. Lets see if he isn't out of the WC.

Started with:
-----------------------Eduardo-----------------
P. Ferreira---R. Carvalho---B. Alves---Coentrão
---------------------P. Mendes-----------------
---------------Deco------------Veloso----------
-Ronaldo/Nani---------Liedson------Ronaldo/Nani

But we ended playing with 10 man because Tiago injured himself. Lets see if he isn't out of the WC.

It's a shame Tiago is injured but could be a way to call Moutinho.

I don't get why every1 is praising Moutinho when he is only hype from the past. The last 2 years he has been getting worse and worse. He should have left Sporting back then and maybe now we would have a different João.
Besides this season in sporting the only one that really deserves a call is Veloso and Carriço (i don't get why he isn't there but R. Costa and Castro are..) and maybe J. Pereira. The rest were just sh!t all season.
Moutinho was part of this group. Bad attitude, couldn't figure out a game. Would rather pass it back then try a through ball to Liedson, awful in penalties. You name what he did well this season. Yet, every1 thinks he would be a good replacement for the midfield.
Honestly i would rather have Amorim, C. Martins or Assis as a replacement of Tiago then overrated Moutinho.

Carlos Martins, the "sangue na guelra" warrior, should be a starter. Instead, he's at home, or on vacation somewhere...

Ruben Amorim should be there as well.

Portugal 3-1 Cameroon

Meireles 32', 46'
Nani 81'
Webó 69'
Eto'o :R1

By the way, Zé Castro won't go to South Africa.

Back
Top Bottom