World Cup 2010 - The Portugal Thread - Acabou-se - It's over

Re: World Cup 2010 - The Portugal Thread

Good. A CB had to be cut. Ze castro though decent was a likely option.

Raul Meireles will be key as I said before. If they miss him through a suspension or injury or something, I think Portugal's chances will substantially go down.

So here they are according to the last press conference of Queiroz, our elevens:

Eduardo
R. Fernandez
Beto

P. Ferreira - B. Alves - R. Carvalho - Duda
Miguel - Rolando - R. Costa - Coentrão

Pepe
P. Mendes

Deco - Meireles
Tiago - Veloso

Ronaldo - Liedson - Nani
Danny - H. Almeida - Simão​

So Simao is a bench player now?

I don't know how much he'll like that or whether that actually will be true.

First Ronaldo gets captaincy and now Simao on bench altogether with Nani in? It's not a bad choice... but I can see Nani starting on bench as well and Simao starting.

We'll have to wait and see I guess... also Duda isn't really left-back so I'm kinda worried about him. His defensive skills aren't the greatest but I suppose Fabio Contrao doesn't have very good defensive skills either.

It's unfortunate Bosingwa is missing because he's definitely Portugal's best RB. Between Miguel and Ferreira, it's hard to pick but I actually would go for Miguel.

Queiroz should just stick Ronaldo up front and play Simao and Nani from the wings.

Didier Drogba will miss the world cup due to a broken elbow. Good for us I guess, terrible for Ivory Coast.

Re: World Cup 2010 - The Portugal Thread - Um sonho, uma ambição... Portugal campeão!

Um sonho, uma ambição... Portugal campeão!
One dream, one purpose… Portugal victorious!

adeptos9.jpg

Os Navegadores
The Navigators

1 Eduardo
2 Bruno Alves
3 Paulo Ferreira
4 Rolando
5 Duda
6 Ricardo Carvalho
7 Cristiano Ronaldo
8 Pedro Mendes
9 Liedson
10 Danny
11 Simão
12 Beto
13 Miguel
14 Miguel Veloso
15 Pepe
16 Raul Meireles
17 Nani
18 Hugo Almeida
19 Tiago
20 Deco
21 Ricardo Costa
22 Daniel Fernandes
23 Fábio Coentrão

Re: World Cup 2010 - The Portugal Thread - Um sonho, uma ambição... Portugal campeão!

After this game, i hope Hugo and Danny finally showed CQ who should start for Portugal.

I don't think Portugal will go thru the group stage...

Gutted about Nani, I thought this would be a great chance for him to perform.

Yea. hate to see good players miss out on the world cup.

Why the fuck is Nani out? Really! Other nations also have injured players and keep them in the squad if they are important. Nani has a shoulder injury wich can be treated in 15 days. He would probably only lose the first game. Something is not right in this story...

do you actually KNOW how serious is nani's injury? or what queiroz's tactic is? ...

Some people are suspect (including me) that there is a problem between Nani and Queiroz. Yesterday Nani said in 1 week he will be fit. Today he said his words were misunderstood and wasn't fit for the tournament. Np comments from Queiroz about this. Certianly we will know the true after the WC.

Anyway, tomorrow is our first match. After all, I think we can win the game and do a significant part of the job.

I can't understand this fucking obsessions of coaches (no need to mention Maradona as a coach). This is not your own work, this is national team.

Pathetic and pale exhibition...

Defence wise: Paulo Ferreira was a shadow of himself today. Luckily they switched flanks while attacking, because if they kept on pressuring Paulo Ferreira he would have been a -1 today. Awful attacking and even worse defending. On the opposite side, Coentrão was magnificent and for so long we asked for a good left defender, now we need the team for him to fit...

Pedro Mendes was inconsistent. Could help neither Coentrão or Ferreira going up and was completely covered by their ST. Deco and Danny were just like Paulo, but worse. Miserable exhibition by these two. Then Tiago came on and we could see the mistake that was not bringing an actual sub for Deco. We totally lost creativity in that midfield. No movement, no depth no creativity, nothing!
Attacking, Ronaldo only playing the first half, the second he just said FU all... Liedson was a shadow of himself.

Interesting to notice the "tactical bash" of Erikson on Queiroz. He made a team with worldclass wingers and made them play the entire game through the centre and Queiroz did sh*t about it.

Shame on you Queiroz go to the hell bloody bastard!

I agree with those guys on tv that are saying this isn't OUR NATIONAL TEAM, this is QUEIROZ TEAM who choose his friends.

Bloody fucking self called stars! The only humble guy is Coentrão. I feel sorry for him having to play with those prima-donnas.

Now I'm gonna study which is way better than listening that crappy coach on tv. I'm mad! Maybe later comeback if I'm calm. :RANT:

No surprises.

Very disappointing display. A real lack of fluidity and the ability to string a few passes together which you would expect to see from any Portuguese team.

And why not try Almeida upfront alongside Liedson ? He looked lost for the first half and very isolated. Deco is gone as a player and Carvalho has been suspect defensively for a season.

Might come down to goals scored against North Korea because I suspect Brazil will top this group. :(

There was only one time that we strang a few passes together and created something, the one with Amorim involved that ended in a corner. Other than that, complete shit... And from what im seeing from Korea right now we wont beat them either...

Shame on you Queiroz! I miss the old Scolari days ahead of our national team. :(

So fucking bad! Unbelievable! Expectations were not high, but after these last days and this display vs the Ivorians i must admit we are truly fucked! It is a shame this Queiroz crew display. A guy who worked and helped Ferguson all those years, managed to nurture a talent like Ronaldo and shaped into a world class footballer; shared the secrets of the winning Manchester United mentality and approach, cannot make our national team play to it´s strenghts at the very least!? This means a lot things; the ovious one is that the players do not respect this coach . When a good bunch of players underperforms this badly, this becomes evident. There is no respect for the tactics, the system, the strategy or ideas he has for the group. For us, "simple mortals", the obvious thing when a team plays with a creator like Deco, is to give him room to dictate play and tempo. We know he is perfect for this, even if he is far from his best. To do this, one must ensure the forwards push deep and wide when in possession, so the middle of pitch becomes less crowded and lines of pass present themselves up the pitch. What we saw was the opposite, tactically and strategically! No wingers or overlapping full-backs, nor a pair of strikers. Deco had no options to try his killer pass like this. To ensure total failure of the system, Danny and Ronaldo, kept making inside runs to come and pick the ball deep in our midfield from Meireles, Mendes and even Deco himself, instead of moving in the final third of the pitch, trying to confuse markers and ensure space in our midfield giving passing options and criteria to our players in that zone. This is not the players doing solely. It is the idea of a coach, and a very weak one.

Last edited:

Sorry the double post. About Nani, if he had a serious injury, the medical staff would have been behind the decision, released a statement explaining the whole thing and totally assuming responsability for the decision with the player and technical staff. Nothing like this happened. Something else happened.

Sorry the double post. About Nani, if he had a serious injury, the medical staff would have been behind the decision, released a statement explaining the whole thing and totally assuming responsability for the decision with the player and technical staff. Nothing like this happened. Something else happened.

Doping? Queiroz clash?

I bet this one. Deco has problems with Queiroz too. We will see at the end.

Deco just walked down the tunnel when he was substituted ignoring Queiroz.

The team spirit does not seem to be great which is half the battle at a World Cup. :(

I was just wondering Queiroz and his boys have the same spirit of Argentina, amigo. Look, teams without that spirit and with some problems are doing bad at the WC (ie. France). It plays a significant role in team's sucess.

Back
Top Bottom