eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I'm not so sure - PES was at its best at the peak of the craziness... PES5 and 6 had horse, shark, dog and cat heads, penguin suits, players riding on giant ostriches etc...

The new ones don't have any of that weird stuff, and if anything I think the shift towards being more serious/realistic in modern editions has been a bad thing. It takes itself too seriously, it's too clinical, there's no flair or imagination in it's design even if that did sometimes spill over into insanity at points in the series past.

They even seem to have started prioritising generic licensing deals over recent years over using artistic license to build something that captures the feeling and atmosphere of football. Who gives a shit if the Danish league has kits and badges when the players look and play like 22 clones and they play in about 3 stadiums all season? It's bland quantity over quality with seemingly zero enthusiasm or passion put into it from anybody at any stage of it's production. That's the feeling I get from the game and series as a whole lately but you couldn't say that about classic PES.
This really grinds my gears with PES these days. Who actually gets excited about this stuff? I could be playing as Brondby or Aston Villa and wouldn't know the difference apart from the kits.

The landscape has changed because they think gamers have a very small attention span. Both games aim to get players addicted to the gambling mechanics in ShyteClub & Ultimate team. Players sure as hell aren't getting addicted to on the pitch gameplay imo.

Since they binned MLO, the (short term) goal has been to give an similar alternative to Ultimate team, only in this version players can far easily get a World XI including Ronaldo & Messi without kicking a ball. It's instant gratification. Most will get bored very quickly seeing nothing to play for, but some will get addicted to collecting players seeking out that next big name for their ever increasing squad. There's always another name to try and get.
These are the players the games are aimed at, not football fans.

If it was actually the on pitch gameplay that was addictive the original Pes 11 MLO would be perfect. Having to spend a long time to get a good/mediocre hard earned balanced squad built from scratch. Nevermind a 'best players in the game' team.

What's easier in a 1 year development cycle, making the football brilliant? Or making up gambling gimmicks for a dopamine release?

have we ever discussed in detailed how many copy getting sold over there? how is the community (like ours) doing over there? how are singleplayer and online modes independently received by that audience? how is the modding scene doing over there? do we have english speaking users from asia here in the forums? do we have european PES users working or living over there in asia? any connection?!
Yes!We have Adam Bhatti living there!lol

As far as i know Pes is more popular than Fifa in Japan.I remember about a year ago asking about this a member here who is from there and he also confirmed this.He also said that there is a big community there but the culture is very different to what we have in mind here and they tend to be more shy and keep things for themselves instead of being too much vocal about it.

The game is also popular in South American and Arabic countries and have big communities there.Probably the main reason that we don't have much info and communication about big communities from Asian,South American or Arabic/African regions,except from the different cultures and stuff,is the lack of proper knowledge of the English language,so these communities just stay and interact more in their own inner circles.
Only in US and Europe the game is much less popular,but that's just because they're boring soulless commercial victim sheep blinded by marketing and shiny covers and menus lol..I'm European too by the way..So i'm just kidding..or maybe not..

Anyone interested in the chants overlay i was going on about there is already a channel of youtube who have done more or less what i was going to do - so it was a case of ripping the mp3 from youube to my phone and bobs your uncle and fannies your aunt - works nicely. I ripped Bournemouth and Liverpool first - link to vid

The landscape has changed because they think gamers have a very small attention span. Both games aim to get players addicted to the gambling mechanics in ShyteClub & Ultimate team. Players sure as hell aren't getting addicted to on the pitch gameplay imo.

Since they binned MLO, the (short term) goal has been to give an similar alternative to Ultimate team, only in this version players can far easily get a World XI including Ronaldo & Messi without kicking a ball. It's instant gratification. Most will get bored very quickly seeing nothing to play for, but some will get addicted to collecting players seeking out that next big name for their ever increasing squad. There's always another name to try and get.
These are the players the games are aimed at, not football fans.

If it was actually the on pitch gameplay that was addictive the original Pes 11 MLO would be perfect. Having to spend a long time to get a good/mediocre hard earned balanced squad built from scratch. Nevermind a 'best players in the game' team.

What's easier in a 1 year development cycle, making the football brilliant? Or making up gambling gimmicks for a dopamine release?

Yea the sad conclusion is that most of the gaming industry is controlled by couldnt care less as long as you make money investors. Game developers are forced to follow market trends and target profitable non-critical target groups consisting of still ignorant youngsters and more casual grownups. Thats not the whole story ofcourse but it is a very powerful force to fight against for any game company.

Someone on YouTube confirmed that pes 2021 will be an update. Not sure how legit it is, Cam is the guys name.

After stopped playing this a long time ago,the random comeback to it now and then,and playing other Pes games (13/14/15/19) I can only feel sad for this games evolution.
It's so bland,doesn't give me anything.
Not going to list all the faults,they're pretty known by now.
But it's so...boring!
Like having a a radiostation/tv program on in the background,doesn't make me happy/sad/angry/exited.
It's just...meh!

So much potential down the toilet

After stopped playing this a long time ago,the random comeback to it now and then,and playing other Pes games (13/14/15/19) I can only feel sad for this games evolution.
It's so bland,doesn't give me anything.
Not going to list all the faults,they're pretty known by now.
But it's so...boring!
Like having a a radiostation/tv program on in the background,doesn't make me happy/sad/angry/exited.
It's just...meh!

So much potential down the toilet
I'm waiting for PES 2017 to arrive from eBay mate - so I had a bash on this earlier. The word 'boring' sums it up perfectly. Every match feels indentical to me. And I know this is nitpicking but I can't get past the toxic yellow pitches, especially in the evening matches. Who at Konami HQ approved that? "Yeah, these yellow pitches look great - very realistic!" It's just...weird.

Please tell me PES 2017 will be a breath of fresh air? I remember loving it back in the day.

I'm waiting for PES 2017 to arrive from eBay mate - so I had a bash on this earlier. The word 'boring' sums it up perfectly. Every match feels indentical to me. And I know this is nitpicking but I can't get past the toxic yellow pitches, especially in the evening matches. Who at Konami HQ approved that? "Yeah, these yellow pitches look great - very realistic!" It's just...weird.

Please tell me PES 2017 will be a breath of fresh air? I remember loving it back in the day.
You're in for a ride mate

Will feel a bit fast,but on -1/-2 it'll play great.
Yeah those yellow pitches...
I played two games on 19 (looks amazing) then over to 20,looks shite!
And that whistle?
I mean what the hell is that?
Is it a train whistle?

It's like being on drugs playing Pes 20 ,no highs no lows,just an even flowing boringness

You're in for a ride mate

Will feel a bit fast,but on -1/-2 it'll play great.
Yeah those yellow pitches...
I played two games on 19 (looks amazing) then over to 20,looks shite!
And that whistle?
I mean what the hell is that?
Is it a train whistle?

It's like being on drugs playing Pes 20 ,no highs no lows,just an even flowing boringness
I always played PES 2017 on -1 back in the day. Haha yeah the whistle in 20 is pathetic. Plus I found that they made the crowd chants pretty quiet for some reason, like the sound levels are all over the place. PES 2019 looked so good and then 2020 (graphically and on the pitch) was a big step back after the initial buzz of playing a new game on the new camera (which is great for a game or two but isn't sustainable over an entire ML campaign - for me anyway).

Hopefully Mr.Postman delivers 2017 tomorrow. I'll install the 19/20 OF and play that as my football game until the new games arrive. But even then I'm not buying on day one this year. I'll play the demos, love them - then the full games will disappoint.

I always played PES 2017 on -1 back in the day. Haha yeah the whistle in 20 is pathetic. Plus I found that they made the crowd chants pretty quiet for some reason, like the sound levels are all over the place. PES 2019 looked so good and then 2020 (graphically and on the pitch) was a big step back after the initial buzz of playing a new game on the new camera (which is great for a game or two but isn't sustainable over an entire ML campaign - for me anyway).

Hopefully Mr.Postman delivers 2017 tomorrow. I'll install the 19/20 OF and play that as my football game until the new games arrive. But even then I'm not buying on day one this year. I'll play the demos, love them - then the full games will disappoint.
I know I'll return back to Pes 17 again,did it on 18,and both 19/20.
Just need something else atm.
Wettest dream would be a 4k remake of it.

Yeah not buying neither football game this year, underperforming to say the least on 20 (both games) plus Corona and a new gen=recipe for disaster.

I know I'll return back to Pes 17 again,did it on 18,and both 19/20.
Just need something else atm.
Wettest dream would be a 4k remake of it.

Yeah not buying neither football game this year, underperforming to say the least on 20 (both games) plus Corona and a new gen=recipe for disaster.
PES 2017 recieved a 4K update on PS4 Pro mate, I remember. It was a little late coming though. (sorry for off topic mods/admins)

Yeah, the Pandemic has effected everything. I just can't go back to PES 2020, I don't even know why I installed it again - at least I didn't waste two hours editing it this time :LOL:

Spot on. The 2020 crowd is there even when there are less charts. Just way too quiet!

PES 2017 recieved a 4K update on PS4 Pro mate, I remember. It was a little late coming though. (sorry for off topic mods/admins)

Yeah, the Pandemic has effected everything. I just can't go back to PES 2020, I don't even know why I installed it again - at least I didn't waste two hours editing it this time :LOL:
Didn't know that (4k)

Ive had the PES 20 installer all along,just updating shit every month or so, usually try a game whenever it updates to make sure it's still rubbish

After playing five consecutive matches on SS, losing 3 and drawing 2, I sat straight and decides to play serious. "Gonna use all I got. Pass the ball faster, Fake shot, trap feints, no touch dribble and shit" I said.
Right after the kick off this happens. Give up on this game. TP is too easy, SS is ridiculous cheated.

After playing five consecutive matches on SS, losing 3 and drawing 2, I sat straight and decides to play serious. "Gonna use all I got. Pass the ball faster, Fake shot, trap feints, no touch dribble and shit" I said.
Right after the kick off this happens. Give up on this game. TP is too easy, SS is ridiculous cheated.

It’s utter BS. It’s pure scripting. I don’t mind a bit of scripting to keep the game challenging like in earlier PES games. I can put up with it if the game is fair overall and I get punished for playing poorly or if the CPU scores a brilliant, well worked goal.

But that video you’ve posted sums up my time with 2020. The game is rigged before you kick off. There’s no point to any of it. It’s coded to NOT let you win certain games by any means necessary. It just feels wrong - the game is all over the place at times. And when I do win a ML match in SS, it’s always 1-0. I can never win 2-0. Or 3-1. It’s always, always 1-0.

And then like you say, Top Player as soon as TS improves is far too easy. I can win most games by 2 goals.

Hi all,

Registered on here to ask for some help. Recently (for the last few weeks) I've been unable to match any online opponents in any game mode - except co-op. I'm on Xbox one.

When I search for an online opponent, the screen stays on matchmaking, always with me as the Home team (not alternating to Away) and the text always stays as "searching for an opponent" (there's no
'checking connection' message) for a couple of minutes. Then I eventually get a message saying "unable to find opponent"

This happens every time I try to play and has been going on for weeks.
I've tried uninstalling the game, changed a lot of in-game settings but nothing has helped!

Any ideas? Thanks a lot

Absolutely hate the latest update, feels all over the place. Defenders just go through the back off you and seems possible to hold on to the ball, even with skilled dribblers or physical units.

It’s utter BS. It’s pure scripting.

Except it isn't scripting though. The game's just really bad lol. By that I mean, it has a lot of mechanics that are poorly implemented. But most people only care when it costs them a match.

That clip he posted? I saw players react like that every single match when I played. All the issues I've brought up over and over the last few months? Saw those every match as well.

Unless proven otherwise, I'm never going to believe the game is out to get you. It just kinda sucks in a lot of areas and at some point, those areas are going to impact your experience negatively.

Except it isn't scripting though. The game's just really bad lol. By that I mean, it has a lot of mechanics that are poorly implemented. But most people only care when it costs them a match.

That clip he posted? I saw players react like that every single match when I played. All the issues I've brought up over and over the last few months? Saw those every match as well.

Unless proven otherwise, I'm never going to believe the game is out to get you. It just kinda sucks in a lot of areas and at some point, those areas are going to impact your experience negatively.
I’m fully aware that the game isn’t ‘out to get me’ but there’s definitely a script to make the game ‘hard’. This is lazy programming. Instead of improving the AI, PES 2020 decides that your best players can’t make the most simple of passes all of a sudden.

Not to mention that referees are very biased dude! Weak players still can hold two strong defenders of the ball right? Then when you push a little more the referee calls It.

This and that dumb animation that makes my player cross his legs tô try to intercept a pass. Ie, the ball carrier is on my left side, my player can easylie try to reach the ball with his left leg but no! He crosses his legs like an indoor freestyle player or something, you know?

Last edited:
Not to mention that referees are very biased dude! Weak players still can hold two strong defenders of the ball right? Then when you push a little more the referee calls It.

This and that dumb animation that makes my player cross his legs tô try to intercept a pass. Ie, the ball carrier is on my left side, my player can easylie try to reach the ball with his left leg but no! He crosses his legs like an indoor freestyle player or something, you know?

You mean this kind of defending ?

if yes, i really hate this one. I mean, when ai does this, it's 99% the ball will be blocked.

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg

I’m fully aware that the game isn’t ‘out to get me’ but there’s definitely a script to make the game ‘hard’. This is lazy programming. Instead of improving the AI, PES 2020 decides that your best players can’t make the most simple of passes all of a sudden.

There's a difference between attribute boosting/variable weighting and mechanics not working properly. Every sports titles does some form of attribute weighting when it comes to higher difficulties. But the problem with this PES is its flaws and so rampant and frequent you'll see them every single play.

Because it's human nature to remember something more strongly when it affects you negatively. For every simple pass that goes awry that you do remember there's just as many that go awry in moments that result in nothing happening or results in moments that were beneficial to you.

The game doesn't all of a sudden decide your team can't play; inexcusable errors happen in every match you play. It only becomes significant enough to stick in your head when it harms you experience.

Back
Top Bottom