eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

If only there was 1 Konami developer active on this forum as well, caring for the game itself

I already accepted the faith of PES 2021 to be just an update, if it benefits the series for 2022 then it's obviously the right choice
However, PES in the modern era lacks something compared to when it was at its glory during the PS2 era

In my opinion, PES became too "European", focusing on money and capitalize the maximum out of it, while forgetting where it used to stand for
Today I played some WE/PES6 again as well as PES2020, and you feel the difference immediately when playing 2020, that it's built on the wrong fundamentals

Does anyone find the skills useless in this game? I feel like they placed so much emphasis on the "Iniesta curated" dribbling with R3 that nobody asked for yet it's just so awkward and doesn't work properly.

I feel like the actually skills are just cosmetic animations and they don't seem to wrong foot defenders like they have done previously, instead the CPU knows where the animation is supposed to finish so they either just stand there waiting for the animation to finish before dispossesing you like a child who's done showing of or they just hypocritcally clatter into you & run off with ball despite the fact it's a cold hard foul should your shorts make contact with eacther other if you attempt a challenge.

I am playing this whilst waiting for PES 2017 to arrive. No other game makes my PS4 Pro this loud - but PES 2020? My wife asked me why I was vacuuming at midnight last night.

FIFA 20 and my Pro is quiet. It’s weird.

I'm not sure whether this is one of the compromises of buying one of the first PS4Pros but yeah just about anything 4K intensive makes it loud enough to be heard from space.

But yeah FIFA doesn't seem to bother it. That's some wizardry from EA to their credit.

I'm not sure whether this is one of the compromises of buying one of the first PS4Pros but yeah just about anything 4K intensive makes it loud enough to be heard from space.

But yeah FIFA doesn't seem to bother it. That's some wizardry from EA to their credit.
PES2017 us running at a much lower noise level on my machine. Like 2nd level fan activity (when there was a scale from 1-5).

How many fan level are there actually?? Never thought of that.

I am playing this whilst waiting for PES 2017 to arrive. No other game makes my PS4 Pro this loud - but PES 2020? My wife asked me why I was vacuuming at midnight last night.

I have notice same..

PES2017 us running at a much lower noise level on my machine. Like 2nd level fan activity (when there was a scale from 1-5).

How many fan level are there actually?? Never thought of that.
Probably because the PS4 isn’t getting through as much work with PES 2017 - PES 2020 is a hefty download now (44GB I think?)

The fan really ramps up for me if anything goes out in 4K and HDR. But even more so on PES 2020!

I dont know why I keep doing this tô myself. Perhaps Im some kind of a masochist or something.
Anyway, in this little compilation it have that dumb crossing leg animation I mention before. This and other defensive "problems".

Ps: All capture in only one match by the way.

Edit: on the third clip, It wasnt the bad pass that pissed me off. It was the fact that in the moment the ball leaves the foot of one player, the target player runs backwards by himself! This is scripting, cheating, call It what you want.
26 years playing Konami football games and I never used this word for any game before but, this game is unplayable.

Last edited:
Do Only laggy ass Brazilians with their shitty internet play co-op on line? And only with super teams ???? Why can’t we play co-op online with normal teams ?????? Stupid Konami. Great mode ruined with bs

Yeah, coop is so badly implemented... But I think that's the point. They want you to get pissed off at playing against high rated teams to the point where you'll also get a high rated team. It's all money driven.

So, after not playing any football game for months I decided to go back to this and give a new ML campaign a try. Superstar difficulty, 12 min matches.

It's definitely easier. You still get those crazy matches where the CPU has decided you can't score, sure. I've had lots of 0-0 games. Haven't lost a match yet (I'm using my boys Aston Villa who haven't exactly got a talented squad).

I just beat Newcastle 3-1. I actually scored 3 goals in a Master League match - on Superstar. When the final whistle blew, I quit out of the game and uninstalled. I'll never play PES 2020 again. I'm even willing to say that this is the worst PES game on current gen.

It's just so BORING. Huge gaps in midfield in every game I play. Defend - attack. Defend - attack. There's no midfield play. I score the same type of goal every single game. There's just no variety here whatsoever. It's an awful football game now, it really is. If this is what the future holds for PES, I'm out. There's NO FUN to be had anymore. This might seem like hyperbole but it's how I feel now. I just don't feel any emotions when playing this, win, lose or draw. Everything is so flat, so mundane - what's happened to this series? It's not because I'm in my 40s now. Because I still get lots of joy playing other video games.

I need a single player football Career Mode to play. The other game is pretty bad too. So fingers crossed PES 2017 gets delivered tomorrow.

So, after not playing any football game for months I decided to go back to this and give a new ML campaign a try. Superstar difficulty, 12 min matches.

It's definitely easier. You still get those crazy matches where the CPU has decided you can't score, sure. I've had lots of 0-0 games. Haven't lost a match yet (I'm using my boys Aston Villa who haven't exactly got a talented squad).

I just beat Newcastle 3-1. I actually scored 3 goals in a Master League match - on Superstar. When the final whistle blew, I quit out of the game and uninstalled. I'll never play PES 2020 again. I'm even willing to say that this is the worst PES game on current gen.

It's just so BORING. Huge gaps in midfield in every game I play. Defend - attack. Defend - attack. There's no midfield play. I score the same type of goal every single game. There's just no variety here whatsoever. It's an awful football game now, it really is. If this is what the future holds for PES, I'm out. There's NO FUN to be had anymore. This might seem like hyperbole but it's how I feel now. I just don't feel any emotions when playing this, win, lose or draw. Everything is so flat, so mundane - what's happened to this series? It's not because I'm in my 40s now. Because I still get lots of joy playing other video games.

I need a single player football Career Mode to play. The other game is pretty bad too. So fingers crossed PES 2017 gets delivered tomorrow.
I've installed and uninstalled this game numerous times, but after the latest time I'm also finished with it for good.

Looking back through my old clips of highlights (mostly from the demo) sometimes makes me want to play it again thinking there will be enough moments like that to make it worth playing, but within the first 5 minutes of gameplay I'm reminded exactly why it got uninstalled. At the beginning I was willing to try to persevere through the shite parts to try to get some value out of the purchase, but this far down the line I don't have that patience any more.

Can't even think of any older football game I actually want to play right now, no new PES game upcoming and FIFA 21 is the old version on PC. No football gaming for me for 12 months by the looks of it, but at least they made the choice easy this year.

I've installed and uninstalled this game numerous times, but after the latest time I'm also finished with it for good.

Looking back through my old clips of highlights (mostly from the demo) sometimes makes me want to play it again thinking there will be enough moments like that to make it worth playing, but within the first 5 minutes of gameplay I'm reminded exactly why it got uninstalled. At the beginning I was willing to try to persevere through the shite parts to try to get some value out of the purchase, but this far down the line I don't have that patience any more.

Can't even think of any older football game I actually want to play right now, no new PES game upcoming and FIFA 21 is the old version on PC. No football gaming for me for 12 months by the looks of it, but at least they made the choice easy this year.
Yeah I’ve also uninstalled it a few times now. I’m not buying either PES or the other game digital again because we’re stuck with them.

It’s a bad time to be an offline career mode/master league player I think. This makes me sad because it was always my passion, my escape in the evenings after a long day at work - I simply get no joy from these modern football games.

myClub will always be remembered for destroying PES for me. It’s why it’s so dumbed down now.

And why do they have to keep updating the gameplay?! These data packs breaking things that were ok before.

A lot of us would still be enjoying this if the demo gameplay was released and Konami just left it alone. But they always have to screw with the game on release.

9ueeexsh0ig41-1.jpg

Yeah idk why but that game honestly makes me worried that something is wrong with my console

Does anyone find the skills useless in this game? I feel like they placed so much emphasis on the "Iniesta curated" dribbling with R3 that nobody asked for yet it's just so awkward and doesn't work properly.

I feel like the actually skills are just cosmetic animations and they don't seem to wrong foot defenders like they have done previously, instead the CPU knows where the animation is supposed to finish so they either just stand there waiting for the animation to finish before dispossesing you like a child who's done showing of or they just hypocritcally clatter into you & run off with ball despite the fact it's a cold hard foul should your shorts make contact with eacther other if you attempt a challenge.

For me, fake shots and subtle flicks to the left or right with the LS produce the most consistent results. Roulettes aren't bad either, but I find most skills take far too long to deploy and execute for them to be reliable. RS dribbling and dragging the ball backwards works pretty well too, but I just can't be fussed with using the RS the majority of the time. It feels so unintuitive.

You can pull this off (LS dribbling) almost every time with decent timing and a player with the appropriate stats.
Looking back through my old clips of highlights (mostly from the demo) sometimes makes me want to play it again thinking there will be enough moments like that to make it worth playing, but within the first 5 minutes of gameplay I'm reminded exactly why it got uninstalled

Same boat.

I tried the right stick stuff. It would work better if those animations were interruptible allowing you to change direction on the fly if the original move is going to be stopped by a defender.

It feels somewhat incomplete because I don't really see it as an improvement over the old system.

I've never been a skill moves type of player be it irl or in game. Subtle changes of speed and direction have been my preferred method for beating defenders.

All of which could be easily accomplished in 2019 with the old control scheme.

So I'm curious what they actually want the close control system to be and how it differs from the old system on a theoretical level as well as on a practical level in its implementation.

For me, fake shots and subtle flicks to the left or right with the LS produce the most consistent results. Roulettes aren't bad either, but I find most skills take far too long to deploy and execute for them to be reliable. RS dribbling and dragging the ball backwards works pretty well too, but I just can't be fussed with using the RS the majority of the time. It feels so unintuitive.

You can pull this off (LS dribbling) almost every time with decent timing and a player with the appropriate stats.

Same boat.
thats PC footage right!?
love that DOF!! :LOVE:

For anyone who plays ML, is it just me or are Bournemouth severely overpowered on this game? Their league standings are never great, but playing against them is such a pain everytime. Even worse than PES 2019 Fulham imo

For anyone who plays ML, is it just me or are Bournemouth severely overpowered on this game? Their league standings are never great, but playing against them is such a pain everytime. Even worse than PES 2019 Fulham imo

I did notice they were sitting in the top 5 during my 3rd season yes. Even had a real good CB I ended up stealing lol

I tried the right stick stuff. It would work better if those animations were interruptible allowing you to change direction on the fly if the original move is going to be stopped by a defender.

It feels somewhat incomplete because I don't really see it as an improvement over the old system.

I've never been a skill moves type of player be it irl or in game. Subtle changes of speed and direction have been my preferred method for beating defenders.

All of which could be easily accomplished in 2019 with the old control scheme.

So I'm curious what they actually want the close control system to be and how it differs from the old system on a theoretical level as well as on a practical level in its implementation.
The R2 close control mechanics this year (and now next year) are garbage. Changing buttons for the sake of it, offering zero extra freedom/functionality over the previous controls and even restricts certain movements.

As you have to use your thumb on the right stick when using it, you don't have it over the face buttons to quickly release a pass or shot. Surely one of the main reasons for using the close control/dragbacks you can do with RS movement would be to have the ball under control to be able to react and time a moment to release it.

In 18/19, a pretty common use of R2 movement for me would be to charge up a pass, super cancel to fake it and then continue using R2 movement then play another pass... In 2020 this would involve; move with RS, thumb off RS to press X, R1+R2 super cancel, thumb back on RS for close control, thumb back to X to pass. Similar with shot fakes...

They probably won't even change it back either, as that would be admitting their failure. Maybe in 5 years time when they change buttons again and call it a new feature, we'll get the old controls back. Like we got the old style free kick mechanics again after they used that weird one with the lines from 14-17.

Being messing with 2019 and it has the things I like about 2020 as well as the things I liked with the old control scheme. It feels more intuitive imo

Back
Top Bottom